* * * - - 7 votes

Hamilton Column: "Alonso will go down as a legend"

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:26

I pick a headline to grab some attention to the topic, but to be honest, I found his column (writted by Benson) very interesting.

About Perez:

If you were watching the Chinese Grand Prix on television, you may have heard Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso and me having a bit of a chat in the room before we went out onto the podium.

We made a couple of references to McLaren's Sergio Perez and the way he was driving. Kimi had an incident with him that damaged his front wing and cost him some performance.

I didn't have much of an opinion about Perez's driving because I didn't see too much of it - certainly not the incident with Kimi.

I do remember seeing, in the distance, Fernando trying to get past a car and that it was weaving from one side of the track to the other. I was surprised at the time that the driver - which I now know was Perez - wasn't penalised.

The problem is that there is such a fine line between dicing and going too far. The stewards do a really good job - and they don't want to take away racing.

I've experienced that in karting. The clerk of the course wanted to ruin everyone's weekend and it took the fun away from racing. You don't want that but you do want consistency in rules. But it is so difficult to be consistent because every situation is different.

Young drivers are definitely the ones who have the most to learn, but I think the driving standards haven't been too bad this year. I don't have a particular problem with anyone.

About Alonso:

Name one driver currently racing in F1 that inspires you in some way?

Rashi ‏‬@HAMazingLew1h

"Fernando, really. He feels to me like he's the most complete driver here. And with pure speed, he is rapid. He is such a quick driver but he's also very, very smart in how he does it. I really admire him for that.
Fernando Alonso (left) with Lewis Hamilton

"[Fernando Alonso] is such a quick driver but he's also very, very smart in how he does it. I really admire him for that."

"Fernando is always there. He has been the most consistent driver apart from Sebastian, who has also done an awesome job but he's been in the most dominant car.

"Before I got into F1, Fernando was the driver I most admired. Having driven alongside him and then been in the sport and seen him progress, it remains the same.

"Back in 2007, we were both immature and misbehaved. We took a long time to recover from that. Fernando probably said a lot of things through anger, as I did, and that got twisted and turned in the media which impacted on the fans. So there are people who don't like me and people who don't like him.

"He will go down as a legend. He will win more world championships. And to be in an era when there's a legend and to have him say such positive things about me, is a really cool feeling."

More in the link, it's worth reading it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/22209168

Edited by kosmos, 19 April 2013 - 10:37.

Advertisement

#2 Ev0lutionz

Ev0lutionz

• 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:28

No surprise. Havent they been praising each other as of late?

#3 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:29

Gotta say Hamilton's column is far more entertaining than DC's.

#4 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:34

No surprise. Havent they been praising each other as of late?

Well, they were 'equal' as teammates - if Alonso is legend then, logically, Lewis is, too.

#5 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:38

Ok that's cool that they are praising each other. But it is a bit overkill. I don't want to hurt anyone but for god's sake it is going in the direction of ass licking. Every 3rd comment from Alo/Ham is about how awesome the other one is.

#6 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:40

Well, they were 'equal' as teammates - if Alonso is legend then, logically, Lewis is, too.

That's right. Smart way of saying 'I am a legend'.

#7 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:41

That's right. Smart way of saying 'I am a legend'.

Yep. :lol:

#8 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:48

Ok that's cool that they are praising each other. But it is a bit overkill. I don't want to hurt anyone but for god's sake it is going in the direction of ass licking. Every 3rd comment from Alo/Ham is about how awesome the other one is.

I concur :lol:

It's time for them to get a room.

#9 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:51

And the 'I scratch your back and you scratch my back' continues..

Funny that Hamilton talks about stewarding. Yet when he is penalized, he invariably moans how he was wronged and they were out to get him.

'Fernando has been the most consistent driver apart from Sebastian, but Sebastian has had the most dominant car.' :rotfl: Shameless.. 2010 was a close championship. One could say Red Bull had a much better car in 2011, but it shouldn't matter to Hamilton anyway because he took himself out of the championship. He was horrible by himself that season and car was not even in the picture. And in 2012, Vettel was trailing by 45 odd point with about one-third of the season left, not the dominant car you want. Sometimes these drivers are even worse than fans, just plain mud-slinging and hosannah-singing.

#10 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:52

Well let's not miss what led to this one: "Name one driver currently racing in F1 that inspires you in some way?"

Tho personally I find it highly amusing how they're all ganging up on Sebi. Sebi has Kimi though, at least.

#11 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:55

I actually like this game those 2 are playing...

#12 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:58

I don't understand people complaining about them praising each other...it doesn't have to be a game, maybe they just feel that way.

Hamilton talking about their strained relationship and it coming right feels like the truth to me reading that. And to be honest, when talking about talent I can't find fault in anything they have said about each other.

#13 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:02

Passion was always strong between those two. :)

#14 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:09

I don't understand people complaining about them praising each other...it doesn't have to be a game, maybe they just feel that way.

Hamilton talking about their strained relationship and it coming right feels like the truth to me reading that. And to be honest, when talking about talent I can't find fault in anything they have said about each other.

It is a game.

But like Undersquare said, Vettel has Kimi..
Well it's a bit like tennis match played in double you know : Alonso-Hamilton (the history readers) vs Kimi-Vettel (the history makers)... Now people, root for a pair! :wave:

And their are considered the 4 great and favourtie for this year title... yet splpit in the 4 top teams ! This could play out fascinating for the Championship outcome!

I'm loving it already :clap: :smoking:

Edited by icewest07, 19 April 2013 - 11:10.

#15 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,333 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:10

When these two made peace after the acrimony?

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:16

Yeah, I've always thought Lewis is being sincere in his praise, which incidentally way pre-dates the Vettel dominance era. He does talk about this a lot but I guess if he's continually asked the question of which driver he admires most, this is going to keep happening. Be a hell of a lot weirder if he started naming a different driver.

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:20

Long time ago. There never was a huge problem between them.

#18 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:22

He has really only give the answer that most people would give - Alonso is clearly the best all-round driver. I think it would be more controversial if he gave a different answer.

I also like that he can see those qualities which are essential in addition to pure speed - that sounds to me like he is more open minded than a couple of years ago when it felt to me like he was interested in driving the wheels off and not much else. Any driver can learn from watching FA.

#19 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:33

Rumpelstiltskin ... is that you??

Advertisement

#20 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:38

"He will go down as a legend. He will win more world championships. And to be in an era when there's a legend and to have him say such positive things about me, is a really cool feeling."

This turned it from answering a question into another love fest.

#21 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,333 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:42

Thanks.
I usually don't follow what happens at drivers personal level except when it boils up at level that is big news.

#22 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:51

I think you missed this part "Having driven alongside him and then been in the sport and seen him progress" He's clearly referring to that Alonso has improved since then, which of course is clear to anyone, Alonso has become a very shrewd operator and has become a complete driver. Though I will maintain that Alonso's one weakness (or is it a strength?) is that he will lose performance through mental strain if he's ever paired up with a truly competitive team mate who gets the better of him for a few races, but because of this he will ensure that he isn't placed in such a situation.

#23 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:54

Yep, because when someone asks him "Name one driver currently racing in F1 that inspires you in some way?", he should keep quiet lest people mistake his honest opinion for arse licking.

#24 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:02

He has really only give the answer that most people would give - Alonso is clearly the best all-round driver. I think it would be more controversial if he gave a different answer.

I also like that he can see those qualities which are essential in addition to pure speed - that sounds to me like he is more open minded than a couple of years ago when it felt to me like he was interested in driving the wheels off and not much else. Any driver can learn from watching FA.

Yep, but some Seb fans have their noses out of joint because he clearly doesn't rate Seb as high as Alonso. Whether he's right or wrong, it's clear that Lewis truly doesn't think Seb is as good as he (Lewis) is. He was very keen to join Seb as team mate at RBR earlier even though Seb is favoured there.

To the second part of your post, you make a very good point. I think he fully agrees that Alonso is better than him as an overall package. Lewis used to always think raw pace and overtaking/defense is everything but he's clearly learned that that's not the be all and end all. He can see that Alonso is superior in other aspects and I think Lewis aspires to that. Pretty refreshing actually to see a current driver very openly admit that another driver is better than him currently. Being a top tier driver like Lewis, and embracing that is a huge step in his future learning.

#25 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:35

And the 'I scratch your back and you scratch my back' continues..

Funny that Hamilton talks about stewarding. Yet when he is penalized, he invariably moans how he was wronged and they were out to get him.

'Fernando has been the most consistent driver apart from Sebastian, but Sebastian has had the most dominant car.' :rotfl: Shameless.. 2010 was a close championship. One could say Red Bull had a much better car in 2011, but it shouldn't matter to Hamilton anyway because he took himself out of the championship. He was horrible by himself that season and car was not even in the picture. And in 2012, Vettel was trailing by 45 odd point with about one-third of the season left, not the dominant car you want. Sometimes these drivers are even worse than fans, just plain mud-slinging and hosannah-singing.

Had Alonso or Hamilton been in the RBR in 2010, the title would have been finished several races before Abu-Dhabi IMO.

#26 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:40

Alonso will go down

#27 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:44

Had Alonso or Hamilton been in the RBR in 2010, the title would have been finished several races before Abu-Dhabi IMO.

Funny you say that because Alonso made the most mistakes of the contenders in 2010 and Hamilton in the following year probably had the worst year of any top drivers in the past 5 years. So Alonso or Hamilton may not have won the title at all with RBR in 2010, let alone do it in the last race. IMO of course!

Edited by SpaMaster, 19 April 2013 - 13:49.

#28 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:46

I have to say since 2011 Lewis Hamilton has changed a hell of a lot! I have so much respect for him these days.

#29 Spa One

Spa One

• 348 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:50

This is in no way surprising. They have been praising each other a lot over the past couple of years.

It would be folly to think that there wasn't an element of self promotion by both drivers when making such comments.

If one is made out to be amazing, the other must too, as they were so close in 07.

#30 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:52

Funny you say that because Alonso made the most mistakes of the contenders in 2010

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/88556

#31 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:52

If I was with a team for a decade, had the owner of the team wrapped around my finger, giving me pep talks before the races, shielding me from the pressures of F1 in my debut season, could use the setup's he developed because mine where less effective, could get the FIA to investigate the team without them feeling stabbed in the back, could steal qualifying advantages from him without any repercussion, stop him from giving his mechanics personal incentives for success, slander him in the media while only to end up on equal points at the end of it all....
Yea, i'd have to admit that he was superior to me if all things where equal.

#32 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 13:59

I have to say since 2011 Lewis Hamilton has changed a hell of a lot! I have so much respect for him these days.

Because he praises the driver he has beaten over the course of a season? Everybody watching Formula One understands these games. Alonso is doing the same with Michael Schumacher, he always praises him as superb driver, he would have won three races in the Sauber. He is not doing this because of his muteral respect for Michael. He was the driver who won against him and sent him into retirement. If you talk the other driver up, your own perception changes, or these drivers believes this. In the case of Alonso and Hamilton both finished with the same amount of points. So it's easy for them to praise each other.

Funny thing is that a lot of Schumacher fans also changed their opinion about Alonso, because he started to talk good about Schumacher. As Schumacher fan myself, my respect for him as driver increased a lot since the last years, but not because of his cheap pep talk.

Edited by 1Devil1, 19 April 2013 - 14:05.

#33 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:02

This is becoming ridiculous.

Don't, Lewis. Just don't.

#34 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:03

If one is made out to be amazing, the other must too, as they were so close in 07.

That works for 2007, no necessarily for the present or the future.

Edited by kosmos, 19 April 2013 - 14:05.

#35 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:09

Can't wait for those two marriage.

Edited by Baddoer, 19 April 2013 - 14:10.

#36 Cesc

Cesc

• 1,204 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:12

Funny you say that because Alonso made the most mistakes of the contenders in 2010 and Hamilton in the following year probably had the worst year of any top drivers in the past 5 years. So Alonso or Hamilton may not have won the title at all with RBR in 2010, let alone do it in the last race. IMO of course!

If Alonso lost by 4 points and made the most mistakes....Vettel didn´t have a great year neither.

#37 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:17

Firstly, I believe Hamilton and Alonso when they say they overcame their differences and admire each other for their achievements. But I also have to grin when I read such high praise. After all, if Alonso were a 'legend', what would that make Hamilton, the driver who, as a rookie in the sister car, collected the same amount of points as said 'legend'? He has a (not so hidden) agenda.;)

#38 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:19

Maybe Hamilton is sending these messages with Montezemolo in his mind. Alo/Ham pairing again....anyone :smoking:

#39 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:22

Embarassin

Advertisement

#40 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:23

2012 and 2010 could gave gone either or for Alonso or Vettel for the WDC because the title was decided on the last race and that is what pundits and unbiased observers would look at .. Ferrari was not the best car in those years yet Alonso was there at the end.
In Abu Dabi the team screwed up the strategy and someone got fired because of it and in Brazil last year Vettel was extremely lucky to survive that crash in the firs lap...

#41 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:29

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/88556

:lol: :up:

#42 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:31

It is good that after having a 2007 season, both Hamilton and Alonso can have a laugh.

You are kidding yourself if either of their driver skills dont deserve praise.

But I find it funny that any Hamilton/Alonso thread turns into "my favorite driver is not praised enough" thread.

#43 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:37

It is good that after having a 2007 season, both Hamilton and Alonso can have a laugh.

You are kidding yourself if either of their driver skills dont deserve praise.

But I find it funny that any Hamilton/Alonso thread turns into "my favorite driver is not praised enough" thread.

Please provide me some examples here in this thread of lonely Vettel fans. Of course Alonso and Hamilton can praise each other and of course their one of the best out there no matter what. But even as fan - I guess Alonso - you should see that this stupid "Alonso is the best, Hamilton is the best" is ridiculous and follows an agenda. A lot of fans a tired of that including myself (no Vettel fan)

#44 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:48

Does your opinion take into account how Alonso or Hamilton would have kept engines from blowing up and thus spilling those valuable points, or does your opinion not like context?
Hamilton was certainly not able to keep his engine from blowing in 2012, so not sure why you think he could in 2010.

#45 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 14:59

Does your opinion take into account how Alonso or Hamilton would have kept engines from blowing up and thus spilling those valuable points, or does your opinion not like context?
Hamilton was certainly not able to keep his engine from blowing in 2012, so not sure why you think he could in 2010.

Oh FFS it is just an opinion (are we not entitled to it?)

#46 Jan.W

Jan.W

• 169 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 15:02

He was the driver who won against him and sent him into retirement.

MS announced his retirement at Monza... And he won that GP and was on the top of WDC at this moment. So stop saying that "Alonso sent him into retirement".

#47 Astro

Astro

• 406 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 15:06

Firstly, I believe Hamilton and Alonso when they say they overcame their differences and admire each other for their achievements. But I also have to grin when I read such high praise. After all, if Alonso were a 'legend', what would that make Hamilton, the driver who, as a rookie in the sister car, collected the same amount of points as said 'legend'? He has a (not so hidden) agenda.;)

IMO, points is a poor way to analyse the performance of drivers. Tho I agree he will never be considered a legend. Maybe one of the greats by the numbers, but dislike by many either way. More than a legend, he will be remember as a legend obfuscator :lol:

Anyway, I guess everyone looks for different things in drivers during races.

#48 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 15:14

No? You should rerun some of Hamiltons remarks on Alonso during 2007.

In public they are friendly to eachother, but behind scenes you never see them together. On the radio they bash eachother over anything. "So, now you can defend outside the track!" yelled Alonso last year. I find it a bit insincere from both.

Edited by yoyogetfunky, 19 April 2013 - 15:15.

#49 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 15:21

I find it interesting that this lovefest has started around Vettel winning his 2nd title. Not in 2008, not in 2009, not in 2010, but at the point where it got clear that Vettel will be new 2xWDC :)

#50 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 15:23

Reading comments over the years between the two, I think they are both trying to destabilize Vettel tbh. I don't doubt that they respect each others skills, I just highly doubt they are the 'friends' that the media makes them out to be.

Edited by MikeV1987, 19 April 2013 - 15:26.