Photo

1964 New Zealand Grand Prix meeting at Pukekohe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:15

Might someone have the results of the above sports car race held on January 11th 1964, in particular the positions of the 3 Morgans entered?
Thanks
Jake

Advertisement

#2 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 20:07

Might someone have the results of the above sports car race held on January 11th 1964, in particular the positions of the 3 Morgans entered?
Thanks
Jake

In event 2, the Sports/Racing and Production Sports Car Race over 6 laps, there were three Morgans entered.

No 32 - M. W. Brown - Morgan 4/4 - 14th on grid (2m 6.4s) - 12th - 3rd in 1301-1600cc class
No 40 - Gordon Miles - Morgan Plus 4 - DNS
No 123 - Terry Waterfield - Morgan 4/4 - 3rd on grid (1m 57.4s) - DNF

Brown is the only one who gets a mention in the race report.

"M. Brown stopped a few feet short of extensively customising his Morgan on the Elbow stop bank at the end of a 130 yards slide with locked wheels, then drove on."

Unfortunately I do not have any details of event 9, The "Auckland Star" Sports Car Race apart from the fact that the same three Morgans were entered.

#3 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:53

I have a small clip of 8mm movie of the start of the "Auckland Star" Sports Car Race at the 1964 NZ Grand Prix meeting. It was filmed from the "Hill" at Pukekohe, i.e. from the rear.

There is a white Morgan, possibly with a dark stripe, on the last row of the grid. It is probably in the last place of a 12- or 14-car field, but the definition of the film is not good, and not helped by having been transcribed from film to video some years ago, and the car is identifiable only because of the characteristic slab-shaped Morgan tail. Terry Waterfield's car colour is given as white at another meeting from that year, while M. Brown's is given as blue. I don't know the colour of Gordon Miles' Morgan Plus 4, which could well have been fast enough to get into the main sports car race.

For the record the first 6 finishers were as follows: Matich(Lotus19B), Porter(Lotus 15), Riley(Lola), Bremer(Jaguar D), Dawson(Lola), Kay(Kato Spl);

Stu Buchanan

#4 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:44

Thanks to both of you for that information. Excellent!
Jake

#5 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:53

Jake

Are you interested in any other Morgan results?

A friend of mine raced a Morgan in the mid-sixties and I'm sure I still have the result sheets from those events. I'll dig them out if you are interested.

#6 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:56

Jake

Are you interested in any other Morgan results?

A friend of mine raced a Morgan in the mid-sixties and I'm sure I still have the result sheets from those events. I'll dig them out if you are interested.

Yes please, I'm always looking for Morgan results. I'll contact you off line by email.
Thanks
Jake

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 18:20

Brown was the only Morgan finisher in the Auckland Star race, in 12th place

In answer to Wenoopy's question, Miles's Morgan was off-white - at least it had been the previous season