Photo

Nordschleife F1 cars

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,813 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:34

Schumacher will drive the Mercedes 2011 F1 car on the Nordschleife in May.
Heidfeld did it last time (any times?)

Were there more F1 cars running the circuit since there was no race here?
Any times?

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:19

In order to accommodate the bumps and gradients, the suspension has to be raised significantly simply to allow the car to circulate without damage. This totally compromises the handling of the car. To provide a competitive set up would mean re-engineering the entire suspension design - and no team will spend that sort of money for a demonstration run. Hence any times are meaningless.

I'm afraid I can't help with any demonstration runs since the GP moved away from the Nordschleife.

#3 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:37

Nick Heidfeld was driving at the NoS in 2007 - I was there :)

#4 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 431 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:54

Nick Heidfeld's run is the only time I know of that contemporary GP cars have run at the 'ring since 1976 (my knowledge counts for little though!). The final drive on his BMW F1 limited him to 275km/h / 170mph amongst other compromises, as D-Type mentioned. He also had on super-hard compound 'demonstration' tyres, and slowed down once in different places on each of his three laps, so accurate times are hard to calculate (though a couple of car mags have esimated a time in the low 5 min IIRC). As Stefan may be able to confirm, a few of the fan recorded youtube videos of his run showed that he was 'on it' as much as the dared in places.

Edited by nmansellfan, 25 April 2013 - 11:55.

#5 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 15:51

Nick Heidfeld was driving at the NoS in 2007 - I was there :)

I wonder what would have happened if he had taken the conventional line through Karussell... I presume he was instructed not to do so.

#6 alansart

alansart

• 4,419 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 16:06

... I presume he was instructed not to do so.

IIRC that was the case.

#7 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:01

The myth that never seems to die, this appeared on the normally fairly reliable Pitpass site on the Schumacher story, read down to the final paragraph and weep at someone's ignorance of motor sport history.

http://www.pitpass.c...ve-Nordschleife

As Duncan said earlier, the massive changes needed to enable any recent F1 car to lap the Nordschleife without shaking itself apart or grounding means that any times would be quite meaningless, though I did hear an interesting rumour that MS had insisted on a clause in his contract promising that Sabine Schmitz wouldn't zoom past him in her M5 Ring-Taxi.

#8 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:16

The myth that never seems to die, this appeared on the normally fairly reliable Pitpass site on the Schumacher story, read down to the final paragraph and weep at someone's ignorance of motor sport history.

http://www.pitpass.c...ve-Nordschleife

Unlike old golfers, old legends do not lose their balls.

#9 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:53

Will be interesting to see how he does, even if the times are not going to be as fast as they could.

Anyway, an excuse to post my favourite Nordschleife onboard video - Augusto Farfus taking his wife for a spin: http://www.youtube.c...;v=2hJfBM2sRkQ#!

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 21:06

I wonder what would have happened if he had taken the conventional line through Karussell... I presume he was instructed not to do so.

I think it's a question of the car's track. Latterly some of the Porsche sports cars had to go round the top as they couldn't fit on the banked bit (or concrete-lined ditch if you prefer)

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:34

Anyway, an excuse to post my favourite Nordschleife onboard video - Augusto Farfus taking his wife for a spin: http://www.youtube.c...;v=2hJfBM2sRkQ#!

Watching that, if I close my eyes and ignore the fact she's squealing in Portuguese, that could have been my first wife.

#12 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:34

Were there more F1 cars running the circuit since there was no race here?
Any times?

There have been a few demo runs with older F1 cars in the past, as part of the 24-hour race supporting programme, but I believe Heidfeld's run in April 2007 was the only time a contemporary F1 car has lapped the track since the 1976 German GP. His lap times are, in my view, completely irrelevant, however, for a number of obvious reasons.

The as yet last time a F1 car was on the track was probably in April 2012 when Ron Howard shot scenes for his upcoming movie Rush.

#13 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:25

There's nothing like a healthy relationship, is there? :rolleyes:

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 13:41

After watching that, I can't help wondering if they are still married. :lol:

Does anyone know?

#15 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:01

I was wondering that, too. In any case, a poor display by the guy.

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,576 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 16:02

Does anyone know?

What's the betting that it was a few days before he got his leg over again?

#17 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,763 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 16:20

Not the Nordschleife, but Ricardo Patrese did a similar thing to his wife. This time at Jerez :D

#18 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 19:03

As Rob said, any times quoted for either Heidfeld or Schuey are totally pointless. If they drove/drive the circuit including new F.1 track, it's much longer than the original, but if they turn off before the final corner of the new circuit and take the short cut, it's much shorter.

#19 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 402 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 19:09

Does anyone know?

I know. They are. Very much so, in fact.

Advertisement

#20 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 20:18

I know. They are. Very much so, in fact.

That's good to know. Come to think of it, if they weren't that film wouldn't be on You-Tube.