Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Indy Cars at Sao Paulo 2013 - Let's Dance!

• Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#401 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 23:47

Not unless anyone is watching it on TV. If great racing made series successful we'd all be watching, what? Formula Ford club racing? Moto3? I'm going to be having to search for a stream once ESPN UK goes off the air, so I don't imagine they're getting much money for it from Europe at least.

I agree that the marketing needs to be better.

But, how big is NASCAR in Europe?

Advertisement

#402 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,983 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 23:52

I think p2p 'works' in Indycar because it's seemingly not very effective. You can't whistle by someone, it seems to give you just enough of a run to tag onto the draft of the car ahead.

Easier to manage than DRS probably. That's so dependent on getting the length of the zone(s) exactly right. Too short and it's useless, too long and they just breeze past and it looks ridiculous.

Still not my cup of tea though, but I'm not going to pretend PUSH TO PASS IS RUINING INDYCAR RACING!  ;)

#403 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,983 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 00:10

But, how big is NASCAR in Europe?

Well my Barista loves it :cool:

#404 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:49

This was on 12am my time.

Decided to stay up and watch, fell asleep during pre race.

Cant wait to get home and have a watch thanks to my friend "torrance"

#405 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:51

This was on 12am my time.

Decided to stay up and watch, fell asleep during pre race.

Cant wait to get home and have a watch thanks to my friend "torrance"

...lol

#406 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:28

I kinda laughed to wake up to my stream still playing some randomness at 7am... Im sure that was good for my data cap this month!

#407 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:50

Oh gosh. And I complain that my speeds here are shite, cant imagine managing a cap :o

#408 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,931 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:03

Sato's braking into the last corner was out of this world.

He reminded me of a MotoGP rider "backing it in".

#409 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,559 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:07

I'm amazed Sato was able to hang on to those tyres as long as he could, really. Thought he was toast around five laps to go. Good run from him again. :up:

#410 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:32

Oh gosh. And I complain that my speeds here are shite, cant imagine managing a cap :o

It is 250gig and fast enough to stream espn hd with ease...

The joys of no TV deal for Australia.

This season so far has been great, so will continue to dodge sleep or dl to watch.

#411 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:18

Worth it.

#412 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:53

Yeah - as a teenager I used to get up at 1/2am and watch delayed telecasts here through the mid to late 90's - back before the split ruined the sport.

Best memory - Mikey winning at Road America after Al exploded on the last lap.

Worst - Greg.

TV deal died in I think 02, made it impossible to follow the sport. IRL didnt interest me, but gave it a chance in 2011 and have been back on board since.

#413 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:48

without my friend torrance I don't think I would survive

#414 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:51

What an awesome race. The last 20 laps were nail biting. Sato fought so hard to hold on with those shot tires, and he came so very close. I was pulling for him the whole way. Great, aggressive, fair racing.

#415 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:59

What an awesome race. The last 20 laps were nail biting. Sato fought so hard to hold on with those shot tires, and he came so very close. I was pulling for him the whole way. Great, aggressive, fair racing.

I don't think Sato's tires fell off that much, at least compared to Newgarden. He just had another Simona @ St. Petersburg finish. Sato has shown these last two races that he is quick, and validates IMO, his career since his Brit F3 title in '01?

#416 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:03

I guess the team switch is what he needed, or he flipped something on in his brain that got him going again. I hope he isn't penalized for the end there because that was brilliant.

#417 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:16

What a race!

However, if I had heard mayor one more time I would have gone postal.

Also Marco had a great run.

If Indycar find that blocking, they need to soften the rule.

However, I can understand the one move thing on ovals where it can all go much much worse if it goes wrong.

#418 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:17

What was funny about that race in hindsight, was that I didn't have any idea who was on red/black tires and it seemed to barely get mentioned? So maybe tire strategy did play a part but it wasn't apparent.

#419 Risil

Risil

• 14,450 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:42

What was funny about that race in hindsight, was that I didn't have any idea who was on red/black tires and it seemed to barely get mentioned? So maybe tire strategy did play a part but it wasn't apparent.

I have a feeling that calling Indycar races properly would require a lot more money/manpower than is currently available. Spotters and possibly mathematicians are required.

But if I wanted to change the TV graphics cheaply I'd like a driver's name to be highlighted or backgrounded in red if they're on the soft tyre, and maybe having a "laps since last pit" counter somewhere prominent. Then if the commentators would crowbar in the pit window length like it's the new GyroCam, things would be better.

Edited by Risil, 06 May 2013 - 16:45.

Advertisement

#420 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,020 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:25

They do have the tyre type, P2P left etc on screen some of the time, but not often enough.

#421 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,449 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:48

That was fantastic. Didn't think Hinch had a chance to catch up and then after Sato managed to block the push to pass I thought he had it but what an undercut, great racing!

#422 djparky

djparky

• 172 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 18:50

sounds like it was a great race- and it seems to be turning into a good season as well

how annoying that it;s hidden away on ESPN which I refuse to pay for on top of the extra I pay for Premier Sports & Sky SPorts for NASCAR and ATP Tennis respectively

come July it may not be on our screens at all- another stonking good move by the Indy Car brain trust!

#423 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,510 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 19:01

Sato leading the championship - Whoever would have thought it...

#424 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 19:05

come July it may not be on our screens at all- another stonking good move by the Indy Car brain trust!

That's not really their fault though. It's hard to sell programming very few people watch.

#425 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 19:14

And Marco 2nd. :eek:

#426 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 19:38

sounds like it was a great race- and it seems to be turning into a good season as well

how annoying that it;s hidden away on ESPN which I refuse to pay for on top of the extra I pay for Premier Sports & Sky SPorts for NASCAR and ATP Tennis respectively

youtube.

#427 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 19:45

They put the full race up like the next day bud

#428 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,513 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 20:45

I doubt Indycar were aware of the terms of Disney's deal with BT when they signed. And given the reported viewing figures from last year on Sky I suspect ESPN UK paid about 43p for the rights. :well:

Like you, I refuse to pay extra to not watch kickball. However, it is very easy to find reliable and stable live streams of ESPN UK. If you can find the Sky New Zealand one they even stick with the action when NBC goes for an ad break ;) As far as I can tell, ESPN UK will continue as it is at present until the end of the year. Once BT Sports starts, all the football will presumably migrate to that - which might be good news, in that IndyCar would presumably be a cheap Sunday night schedule-filler for them.

Edited by Vitesse2, 06 May 2013 - 20:45.

#429 Race Nerd

Race Nerd

• 25 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:33

Does anybody know what happened to Kanaan. He was running up front, then slowed down, then stopped. I never saw him again. I thought he DNF'd. But the final results showed him just 3 laps down. What happened? Run out of fuel?

#430 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,069 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:21

Does anybody know what happened to Kanaan. He was running up front, then slowed down, then stopped. I never saw him again. I thought he DNF'd. But the final results showed him just 3 laps down. What happened? Run out of fuel?

All I've heard about TK was "refueling problems". Presumably, there was some difficulty with the fuel receptor on the car or whatnot, meaning he didn't need to DNF but he did need an extra lifetime in the pits.

#431 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:23

Jimmy Vasser, team co-owner, was extremely disappointed for Kanaan and his sponsors and is looking into the cause of the No. 11′s fuel issue. “Very, very disappointing for Tony Kanaan in his home Grand Prix while representing the race sponsor Itaipava,” Vasser said. “I think the fans had a good show; they knew we were here. What happened on our fuel calculations…we ran the car out of fuel, there’s no doubt about that. But, our alarms didn’t go off and our numbers showed that we should have had a gallon in the car at that time. I’ve called for a full detailed report of the sequence of events that led to the car running out of fuel. Until I have that from the team when we get back I can’t speculate on exactly where the problem happened. But, all-in-all I think they knew we were here.

#432 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,270 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:13

yes, me :cool:

http://forums.autosp...p;#entry6247669

C'mon Takuma, ride on the momentum.

I'd say he'll be leading championship after this race, and no i'm not being bold.

Another win would be fantastic of course!

#433 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,676 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:52

What happened with Kanaan yesterday?

#434 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:03

You cant read two posts up?

#435 dog-y

dog-y

• 66 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:58

I must admit, it was very a very exciting event. So sad to see Sato lose the victory, I thought he'd hang on for dear life... which he did on the penultimate turn. Still, he's leading the championship.
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATO (that's my last name as well, cheer on guys)

#436 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:08

You cant read two posts up?

:drunk:

#437 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,020 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 15:22

Certainly a contrast to most of Sato's F1 race performances. Though it does make me wonder about how non-fans perceive the series...

#438 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 16:02

Well it's taken him a while. I remember his fanboys claiming he'd walk the series when he came in but all he managed to do was hit everything.

Maybe it's just the early season run but I'm surprised how well he's doing relative to how he got on in the Rahal car. But Conway was pretty quick in the 14 at times.

#439 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 301 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 16:10

Having just watched the race this morning, that was my favourite Indycar race that I've ever seen (I've only started consistently watching since last year).

Advertisement

#440 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,020 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 16:22

Well it's taken him a while. I remember his fanboys claiming he'd walk the series when he came in but all he managed to do was hit everything.

It's basically the "FIA championships are better" syndrome.

Maybe it's just the early season run but I'm surprised how well he's doing relative to how he got on in the Rahal car. But Conway was pretty quick in the 14 at times.

IIRC Meira had a few road\street course podiums with Foyt. Conway had strong results until he got to GP2 (although he wasn't exactly driving for ART or DAMS there), he swept the British racing scene and picked up the Honda test driver slot. Of course Mike also had the "can't stop hitting things" problem in Indycar.

#441 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 19:23

Links to the race if you missed it. Courtesy of the nigerian streaming club.

#442 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 222 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 20:31

I think p2p 'works' in Indycar because it's seemingly not very effective. You can't whistle by someone, it seems to give you just enough of a run to tag onto the draft of the car ahead.

Another thing is if the straights at Sao Paulo were normal length, even with p2p a lot of those passes wouldn't have happened.

Modern single seaters need reeaaaaallly long straights for passes to have enough time to play out. Like, old Hockenheim length. Or Indy.

Remember, unlike the F1 deal, the lead car can (and often does) use his/her P2P at the same time the trailing car does, to defend his/her spot.

Plus, as seen at Sao Paolo, it's not enough to get a huge run if the lead car swings his ax and threatens to chop you into the wall if you get a wheel up on him. (Ducks head, looks around furtively for oncoming Sato fans.)

#443 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 18:31

Remember, unlike the F1 deal, the lead car can (and often does) use his/her P2P at the same time the trailing car does, to defend his/her spot.

Plus, as seen at Sao Paolo, it's not enough to get a huge run if the lead car swings his ax and threatens to chop you into the wall if you get a wheel up on him. (Ducks head, looks around furtively for oncoming Sato fans.)

The first move on Newgarden was a little borderline, but it's not like he was playing it like Senna or Schumacher out there.

@Ross - a 1 mile straight isn't long enough? I thought 195mph was a little low for that distance, I would be in favour of increasing the current 700hp figure. We don't need 1000hp but something like 800-850 would be reasonable I think.

#444 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 18:55

750 would be fine if they bowed to my wisdom and sliced up the wings. I reckon the rear wing only needs the bit where the sponsor sticker goes. The main horizontal element goes in the back of the truck.

#445 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 19:05

But trucks have nasty understeer already Ross.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.

#446 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 19:09

Posted Image

#447 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:05

750 would be fine if they bowed to my wisdom and sliced up the wings. I reckon the rear wing only needs the bit where the sponsor sticker goes. The main horizontal element goes in the back of the truck.

Some drivers were running less downforce to take advantage of the straight.

#448 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:33

Yeah but not much, I'm talking running oval rear wings.

#449 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:57

Yeah but not much, I'm talking running oval rear wings.

Thing is, take away too much and the cornering ability of the car takes a big hit. Wouldn't want open wheel Nascar now would we :p

#450 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,871 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:11

They're like three times lighter, still have some wing, bigger tires, etc. They'll lose seconds a lap but they'll still be way ahead of NASCAR.

They need enough wing to read the sponsor logos and that's it.