Photo

Hawthorn and Collins photograph

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff Weinbren

Jeff Weinbren

• 147 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:49

Not sure if this has been discussed previously. There is a famous photograph of Mike Hawthorn, Jean Howarth and Peter and Louise Collins, taken of them from behind, walking along the pit apron, with Mike throwing his head back in laughter. My question is who was the photographer?. the same photo shows up ion Benno Muller's book "Race Drivers" as well as in one of Bernard Cahier's books. Anyone have the answer?.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff Weinbren.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:35

It sounds like this one:

http://www.f1-photo....20Collins/p3x16

If so, it's in the Cahier Archive and one of its tags says 'BC' so I assume it was taken by Bernard himself.

#3 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,659 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 13:42

This photo also appears in Mon Ami Mate and is described in the caption as "Bernard Cahier's poignant photograph...."

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 23:27

I had a look at the folio and found both this picture and this one. They were obviously taken within about a minute of each other, but from different viewpoints. How did Cahier manage to be in two places at once to take the two photos?

#5 denizen

denizen

• 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:12

I had a look at the folio and found both this picture and this one. They were obviously taken within about a minute of each other, but from different viewpoints. How did Cahier manage to be in two places at once to take the two photos?

I think one of them is from 1956 and has the wrong caption. Fangio's car looks more like a Lancia-Ferrari, and all the other cars are different.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:29

I think one of them is from 1956 and has the wrong caption. Fangio's car looks more like a Lancia-Ferrari, and all the other cars are different.

Yes, the one captioned "Start 1957 Germany 02" is actually 1956: L-R Fangio, Collins, Castellotti, Moss. Maglioli (8) appears to have got a bit of a flyer from the second row!

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:14

Whoops! I should have noticed that. ( memo to self - clean screen and specs). I suppose he wasn't that happy with the 1956 photo so he found a better [higher] viewpoint for 1957.