* * * * * 1 votes

Silverstone 2013

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#51 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 15:38

Just looking at grandstand seats to see what prices are available, is Silverstone Six not in use at this event? It is one of my favourite views - get a good seat on the left hand side and it is one of the best locations for photography.

Hopefully next year they will have seat selection like most other big events do - I would consider going for the prices asked, but not if I wasn't sure which seats I was getting.

Advertisement

#52 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• 481 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 16:03

Just looking at grandstand seats to see what prices are available, is Silverstone Six not in use at this event? It is one of my favourite views - get a good seat on the left hand side and it is one of the best locations for photography.

Hopefully next year they will have seat selection like most other big events do - I would consider going for the prices asked, but not if I wasn't sure which seats I was getting.

Silverstone Six is now a hospitality area, the VIP package for Sat-Sun is at £1,335

Edited by fullthrottle, 03 May 2013 - 16:04.

#53 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 16:16

This is exactly the case where my idea of a free track day on the pre-GP thursday would work.

Track open for the teams to test from 9am to 5pm. Two drivers allowed, but one must be test driver or a "rookie". And heavily slashed ticket prices. Say £ 10.00 to stay there all day long, watch the action and maybe get a pit walk or something. That would get people to venture into the circuits and then get bitten by the F1 bug.

Edited by Atreiu, 03 May 2013 - 16:23.

#54 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 16:18

If you're an F1 fan living in the UK and you haven't been to Silverstone don't let the naysayers put you off. It has a special atmosphere (I've now been to China and Korea and unsurprisingly they don't come close, though I'm sure some European tracks are comparable for buzz) and you never know; you might see something magic. Either way you'll have stories to tell, which is what it's all about really.

I've never felt this about Silverstone myself, to me its a featureless, flat old airfield with some tarmac on it, if there's one thing Silverstone doesn't have IMHO its character, there's no sense anywhere that it held the first F1 race back in 1950 or that its the home of British motorsport, nothing there reminds you of that because, well, there's nothing there!

Also been to Jerez (testing), Monaco & Monza and Silverstone sits at the bottom of the list for me, Monza at the top. Monza does capture its history and character, the people there also add more to it IMO, i walked in early on the Sunday morning to see italians spewed around the park, hung over, bottles of red scatterd on the floor and smouldering bbq's. Silverstone i walk in to a flat field and lots of wind. That's only 0.1% of it too...

#55 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 16:21

This is exactly the case where my idea of a free track day on the pre-GP thursday would work.

Track open for the teams to test from 9am to 5pm. Two drivers allowed, but one must be test driver or a "rookie". And hevaily slashed ticket prices. Say £ 10.00 to stay there all day long, watch the action and maybe get a pit walk or something. That would get people to venture into the circuits and then get bitten by the F1 bug.

Another thing Monza (and Monaco) does, if you have a three day ticket they open the pitlane up on the Thursday and you can wonder up and done, meet the drivers, get autographs and watch the team practising pitstops. Or in Mclaren's case you watch the crew watch themselves practising pitstops on a screen in the garage...

#56 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• 481 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 16:44

Another thing Monza (and Monaco) does, if you have a three day ticket they open the pitlane up on the Thursday and you can wonder up and done, meet the drivers, get autographs and watch the team practising pitstops. Or in Mclaren's case you watch the crew watch themselves practising pitstops on a screen in the garage...

Yeah, last year Thursday I drove 150 miles to Silverstone and the only place I was able to get to were the carparks and gates that were closed to standard ticket holders, and it was such a shame because it was one of the nicer day on the race weekend.

#57 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 719 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 17:48

Yeah I also don't get the Silverstone atmosphere. Been to plenty of rugby matches and they are much better in that respect, Silverstone's never even come close.

I do enjoy going though and would say, don't let this thread put you off if you've never been and especially if you've never been to a race before.

#58 Linus27

Linus27

• 4,895 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 18:22

I also don't get the Silverstone atmosphere thing. I have been to France, Spain, Hungary, Austria, Monaco, Monza and Silverstone is probably at the bottom for atmosphere. France was probably the best with all the grandstands singing and doing a giant mexican wave all around the circuit. It was epic. Austria was also very very good with traditional musicians in the grandstands, entertainers going around the circuit and stopping at each grandstand to do some routine, helicopter displays followed by airplane displays as well as parades of people in traditional costumes. Kept you entertained pre race. Plus, when you walk through the gate they gave you a bottle of water and some fruit for free :)

If you have never been to Silverstone then its worth going once to get the idea but personally I would not make a habit of it. I have been 4 times as its close but 3 of those four times was to take somebody who had never been to a GP before. Go once and then save up to go to Monza, Monaco or Spa the year after :)

#59 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 19:27

I took this video at Silverstone last year:
The main reason for this uproar was because nothing had happened for a very long time. People were clapping and stomping their feet. I feared for the grandstand.

I've been to Malaysia, Japan and China and they all had apart from F1 was one (!) support race. Well, Malaysia had a parade, but it was their inaugural race. Japan and China had some off-track entertainment going on, but nothing special.

The best F1 atmosphere I've experienced was at Hockenheim in 2006. I am in no way a Schumacher fan, but when several thousand airhorns went off as he crossed the finish line, the hairs went up on the back of my neck.

Advertisement

#60 robefc

robefc

• 8,004 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 23:21

In a way it's a shame it was my first race. I think there's very little chance I'll see a GP like Silverstone 08 again, particularly with modern F1 having such an aversion to rain.

My heart bleeds for you! :p

#61 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 577 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 13:08

I'd also agree that there's very little in the way of entertainment for fans around the circuit. The fees the circuit try to charge vendors to make up their costs are counterproductive and drive them away, so when there's nothing on track there's nothing really of interest to do over the course of the weekend. It's good to go once, but as a lot of other people state when it comes to looking into going again barcelona, hungary etc are just better propositions.

tbh i'd go and see the WEC, in 2011 I did the LMS and did the pitwalk, there was infield, grandstand and paddock access for a fraction of the price of a gp ticket. Then I'd try Barcelona or Hungary for the F1.

Edited by zepunishment, 05 May 2013 - 13:11.

#62 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:12

Like I said earlier. I didn't go last year due to cost for the 1st time in 10 years due to the cost.

Gave in for this year though as I hated not being there. Yeah it's expensive but if you can then go.

Also agree with atmosphere thing. A few people clapping and that's about it. Even when Lewis got pole in 07 it wasn't that great.

#63 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 21:27

Yeah I also don't get the Silverstone atmosphere. Been to plenty of rugby matches and they are much better in that respect, Silverstone's never even come close.

I do enjoy going though and would say, don't let this thread put you off if you've never been and especially if you've never been to a race before.

I enjoy the atmosphere there, but it's ridiculous to try and compare it with a Rugby match.

#64 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,410 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:10

For cost of two tickets at Club plus camping, i spent about the same going to Spa GA and Monza grandstand last year including my accommodation in Spa, Monza and very nearly my hotel in Venice . :( Atmosphere wise, Silverstone used to be great until they got greedy and grandstanded most of Club. So all the nice things like people sitting up at the side of the circuit at 5am, chatting, having a BBQ have all but gone. Monza is much, much better! Absolutely fantastic venue, passionate fans and beautiful weather. Both Spa and Monza much better for Thursday meet the drivers/see practice stops/get autographs.

I wish I had bought a nice holiday abroad for the money, but Club corner here I come!! For Mclaren fans, Silverstone have introduced a 'McLaren stand' at McLaren - Band 7 (U) Vale.

Edited by pinkypants, 06 May 2013 - 06:16.

#65 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:31

The
Posted Image

Vettel
Posted Image

Effect
Posted Image

#66 bushgold

bushgold

• 171 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:12

If you are going to do that, can I highly recommend the Blancpain Endurance Series on June 1st/2nd, Sunday tickets even on the gate are going to be less than £20 per head and last year they opened up most of the main grandstands (even though in the heavy rain there were less fans than marshalls) so a good chance to find your favourite viewpoints. Plus a 60+ car GT3 grid and a trio of interesting support races, including the AutoGP.

More info - http://www.silversto...durance-series/

weather is not the reason for poor attendance. there are no buses into silverstone from northampton station on sundays. so you can't attend the sunday event unless you own a car or pay £25 * 2 for a taxi. this excludes a large chunk of the London population. comapre it to amsterdam-zandvoort, for example where lower rung motorsports events are well attended. it's a breeze getting in from central station.

#67 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:46

weather is not the reason for poor attendance. there are no buses into silverstone from northampton station on sundays. so you can't attend the sunday event unless you own a car or pay £25 * 2 for a taxi. this excludes a large chunk of the London population. comapre it to amsterdam-zandvoort, for example where lower rung motorsports events are well attended. it's a breeze getting in from central station.

Stagecoach provide a service to the circuit from Northampton.

#68 bushgold

bushgold

• 171 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:12

Stagecoach provide a service to the circuit from Northampton.

there's a regular mon-sat service. probably lots of extra buses for the british gp w/e. for other events, like the blancpain endurance series on 2nd june there are no buses. no wonder there were more marshals than spectators last year.

#69 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,637 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:37

as for the atmosphere thing, its probably the people that make it, not the venue. some venues have it by themselves

#70 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:49

As much as I love* Silverstone, if you want atmosphere Spa outclasses it by a country mile for a grand prix.

*Or used to, as since the changes it's really become an unpleasant place to be.

Edited by wewantourdarbyback, 06 May 2013 - 15:50.

#71 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 719 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:55

I enjoy the atmosphere there, but it's ridiculous to try and compare it with a Rugby match.

Well I do have certain expectations of what a 'brilliant' atmosphere is now.

#72 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 21:30

there's a regular mon-sat service. probably lots of extra buses for the british gp w/e. for other events, like the blancpain endurance series on 2nd june there are no buses. no wonder there were more marshals than spectators last year.

That might be so, but as we were talking about the GP what has that got to do with it?

#73 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 21:32

Well I do have certain expectations of what a 'brilliant' atmosphere is now.

It's still silly to try and compare a Rugby crowd with a GP crowd.

#74 robefc

robefc

• 8,004 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 00:30

That might be so, but as we were talking about the GP what has that got to do with it?

In fairness his opening post was in reply to someone mentioning the endurance event.

#75 Elissa

Elissa

• 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:39

I won't be doing Silverstone this year either, I've done the previous 5 years all weekend and this year I couldn't justify the high prices. If you're a first time visitor you will have a fanatastic time, don't let this thread put you off. The resentment and disinterest to long term attendees comes once the honeymoon period wears off (I give it 3 years before that starts!). I've do on average 5 races at year at Silverstone and done it in all weathers.

I live very close to Silverstone, annoyingly just out of reach of walking distance so I'm reliant on taking the car or park n ride. At £45 it's almost insulting to stump up that kind of money to park, which leaves the park and ride, although it can be a little slow to get home it generally does pretty well. Avoid the A43 on raceday after the race and you should get back onto the M1 or M40 pretty quickly, everyone else tends to stay on the A43 dual carriage way and the traffic jams get shifted along to each roundabout on route.

Viewing wise Silverstone is a mixed bag, the experiences of Friday and Saturday are very different to Sunday. On non race days I find it a nice relaxed day to slowly wander round the circuit (anti clockwise) and take advantage of the roving grandstand options. One thing that's immediately apparent is the huge amounts of safety fencing. For views without it you have to sit in a stand bar short of the 1 m square fence opening at Maggots and a high viewpoint at Vale (great photo spots). Raceday is a whole different game. The two aforementioned spots are taken at 5am, don't waste your time trying to get them. Anywhere else that's good and general admission is taken up very early. By 7:30am expect all the 'best' general admission views taken and you'll already fighting your way through piles of fold out chairs. The crowds on Sunday are unreal, it's very ant like.

I've also done grandstands for F1 and by far the best is the Becketts, but that's reflected in the price. Copse is often widely acclaimed but (imo) a little disappointing as you see the cars for a few seconds. In general the stands are detached from the circuit, nothing new there. For virtually all general admission views expect to be there at silly o'clock and to be behind safety fencing. I've sat in every grandstand at some point in my visits.

Entertainment wise is a mixed bag, it has decreased in recent years into mainly just merchandising stands. Don't expect team display stands like 5 years ago, you'll get a Pirelli stand, Santander, and maybe Vodafone too. There's plenty of food on offer, but expect to pay £6 for the most underwhelming burger of your life (Delicious gormet burger my ar**). There is a traditional after race concert but to be fair, most people just want to go home by that point. Ignore the advertising spiel, there is token entertainment but not to the level and quality the adverts portray, but in all fairness you're there to see racing, just a shame the off track stuff has markedly decreased. The prices at team merchandising stands are insuting, expect to pay upwards of £50 for a team shirt. For toilets, expect a cold farm like outbuilding with questionable cleanliness.

Weather wise you will never win, I've been sunburnt on cloudy days, caught borderline pneumonia on wet days, and been roasted to a slow death. It's very windy up there due to it's location which can make it really cold. It's typically overcast but can veer between torrential rain and sun in mins. At the 2008 GP I was near the start line and to my right it was brilliant sunshine, to my left it was torrential rain, never seen weather like it. Take waterproofs and sunscreen, it's that unpredictable.

Atmosphere is an odd concept, in my viewpoint there's too much of a 'rich vs poor' mentality up there. On F1 weekend it's insulting being forced to find a token peice of grass at 7am for GA yet the grandstand above your head will be empty for hours. People are incredibly defensive about protecting their general admission views, expect to lambasted by some for the slightest misdmeanour. Negatives aside the crowd does cheer wildly when it matters and contary to this forum, Lewis gets a roar like no other up there. As mentioned earlier the noise Lewis got passing Alonso for a lowly 16th in 2009 was unreal. Bragging aside nothing will likely match 2008 for a very long time, just magical.

Is it worth it? Impossible to say for all, but I do think for first time attendees they will love the whole experience, the bitterness starts to creep in when you go to book for the next year and you see the prices have gone up £20 for GA and higher in the good grandstands. OVer the course of years I've seen the prices virtually double in price. For those on a budget it's a choice of a weekend ticket or a holiday aborad for a week. In that respect Silverstone is appalling value and has work to do to convince the fans back. The pool of fans prepared to pay has clearly hit crisis point and is a natural consequence of year upon year increase prices and year upon year decrease in entertainment/facilities.

The race is easy to follow, there's enough big screens everywhere or failing that just watch the track! Take the headphones for your mobile and tune into Silverstone FM. The ontrack commentary is also broadcast through a PA system but this is drowned out by the cars and reduced to an indeterminable warble.

Put this into perspective, for the price of a single general admission ticket to F1, I can buy grandstand weekend tickets to WEC, BTCC, Blancpain, Silverstone Classic and more. It's hard to justify paying £340 for a grandstand seat when a couple of weeks ago I paid £35 to sit in the very same spot for the WEC. F1 is great, but it isn't 10x better than anything else.
If anyone has any questions, I'll happily try to answer them objectively if you're struggling to decide to go or not. It's only going to get more expensive in the near future, if you've never been I'd recommend you do it now before you need to sell a kidney in the future, possibly even your kids.

Posted Image

My fave pic I've taken up there, taken from the Vale banking, 2010 (Nikon D500, 200mm, 1/125 s)

Edited by Elissa, 08 May 2013 - 09:45.

#76 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:46

Good and informative write up, Elissa.

#77 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:04

I read all of it - Amazing write up. Sweet photo of the semi nude Ferrari.

:up:

#78 Elissa

Elissa

• 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:19

My pleasure guys, in all fairness it reads quite cold reading it back but i've tried to bring up the questions being posed throughout the thread. It's an awesome day out. So much so I've caved in and just booked some Friday practice tickets. I least I get some F1 fix this year.

Photography is a little challenging up there but you can get good results from the stands, here's a few samples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Elissa, 08 May 2013 - 10:38.

#79 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:35

Elissa, superb review that.

Advertisement

#80 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,986 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:53

I agree with everyone about the excellent review, Elissa and add a whole bunch of praise for your superb photos. :) I like your favourite Massa pic very much too, but the one of Lewis waving while perched is also highly charming.

#81 Elissa

Elissa

• 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 13:36

I agree with everyone about the excellent review, Elissa and add a whole bunch of praise for your superb photos. :) I like your favourite Massa pic very much too, but the one of Lewis waving while perched is also highly charming.

Hey thank you :-) I got a bit addicted to the photography side and my OH bans me from taking a cam up there now, I end up seeing the whole race weekend through a viewfinder otherwise :( I know there's far more able photographers out there but I like to think I do alright from the stands and GA areas with entry level DSLR kit.

After paying through the nose for many years I had a bit of luck last year, a friend who works for the FIA threw some GA tickets our way, but the best part was…centre circuit parking!! By the time the national anthem had finished on the podium we were already out of the circuit and heading off over the A43. The only time in my life I’ve ever had any kind of privilege and it was amazing, it did though totally highlight the rich vs. poor angle to Silverstone to me. On F1 weekends it’s very noticeable, it’s all about showing off your lanyard with special access it seems. It can be a little dismaying when you’re traipsing around with a backpack (naturally full of all weather gear) and some pretty thing totters past in her high heels before being shown into the paddock etc. At times I’ve joked to the OH it feels like the Titanic and the true race fans are steerage!! You can be forgiven at times for feeling a little second class, you’ll be fighting your way through the crowds while some rich corporate client is ferried around on a golf buggy by the circuit staff. Expect lots of elitism, you have to rise above it otherwise the inequality in access will drive you insane.

I think as an experience seeing a live F1 race is incredible, it’s cliché to say the noise is unsurpassable, let’s just say on TV they come across so much more weaker than in the flesh. The sheer violence of watching Alonso through Maggots/Becketts is unreal, I’ve never seen a more committed driver in the flesh. Visually, Fernando and Lewis are on another level for violence and car control, Kimi and Vettel look sublime and almost like they’re on rails.

I’ve just booked Friday practice tickets and sorry to moan but parking is £12 on a Friday fgs!!! There is a park and ride option at £5, they never used to charge in previous years, I wonder what the justification is. I mentioned earlier I’ve sat in every grandstand at some point viewing F1 or other series, anyone feel free to ask what the view is like if you’re stuck deciding.

Sophie B…silly question, your avatar…who is that?!

Edited by Elissa, 08 May 2013 - 13:37.

#82 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,986 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 13:53

Ha! Silverstone crowd as Titanic metaphor, that is wonderful.

Sophie B…silly question, your avatar…who is that?!

That's miss Maggie DuBois, a suffragette/journalist/racer from a wonderful film called The Great Race. Played by Natalie Wood. She wears endless fantastic costumes throughout the film, all designed by the amazing Edith Head.

#83 Elissa

Elissa

• 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 15:43

Ha! Silverstone crowd as Titanic metaphor, that is wonderful.

That's miss Maggie DuBois, a suffragette/journalist/racer from a wonderful film called The Great Race. Played by Natalie Wood. She wears endless fantastic costumes throughout the film, all designed by the amazing Edith Head.

Brilliant, thanks for the info, those outfits are awesome...

Right back to F1 (yawn) :-)

#84 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,775 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 16:14

Once they got aorund the 2009 changes, the 2010 cars became beautiful. Of course I liked the McLaren more, but even the RB5 and F2010 had a sleak look of speed. I'm not so fond of the current cars. And since it's about being nostalgic, I still think the 1985 Silverstone layout was the best. They would probably be lapping under a minute in qualifying nowadays.

#85 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:50

Timetable up on the Silverstone website. For some reason Friday doesn't start until 10am (unless there is likely to be an additional support race added?) and the GP3 has been shuffled from first to last, going on until 18:35.

#86 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 13:09

Starting the F1 later makes some sense as the track will be slightly warmer and therefore more representative and allows more time for people to get there before F1 starts, but there is usually some running beforehand which would help clean the track.

We have also lost the historic F1 race :( . I enjoyed that last year.

#87 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 719 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 18:11

Will be going to my third this year and arriving at Litchlake on the Thursday, so I have to ask, what is there to do on the Thursday?

Last year I went to see Senna in the main grandstand, which was pretty special. But is there anything like a pitlane walk or even a decent place to hang out and see the drivers entering the circuit?

#88 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:50

Will be going to my third this year and arriving at Litchlake on the Thursday, so I have to ask, what is there to do on the Thursday?

Last year I went to see Senna in the main grandstand, which was pretty special. But is there anything like a pitlane walk or even a decent place to hang out and see the drivers entering the circuit?

Bugger all.

#89 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 719 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:03

Sitting on my truck tailgate drinking beer it is then.

#90 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:04

Wander into Silverstone village and get a pint in a pub.

#91 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 719 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:08

Yeah maybe, did that last year on the Saturday and it wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. plus I saw Pastor Maldonado driving away from the track in his Renaultsport Mégane.

#92 fifi

fifi

• 12,144 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:26

Wander into Silverstone village and get a pint in a pub.

or just buy a carry out and take in the atmosphere at the campsite

#93 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:31

or just buy a carry out and take in the atmosphere at the campsite

Or do both :up:

#94 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 14:29

Maddness. Silverstone is giving away paddock access and after party tickets for the Grand Prix.

https://www.facebook...387170024725814

#95 blackmme

blackmme

• 423 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 15:23

Our tickets have arrived which always makes the heart beat a little faster.
We set off for Woodlands in four weeks tomorrow, wooooo hoooooo!

Can't wait.

Regards Mike

#96 stewie

stewie

• 426 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:03

I'm looking to go to Friday FP, it's currently £69 for a general admission ticket, is it likely to get more than this?

#97 blackmme

blackmme

• 423 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:14

I'm looking to go to Friday FP, it's currently £69 for a general admission ticket, is it likely to get more than this?

No I think it's well beyond the early bird offer now. I guess the only thing that could happen is that they could sell out of Friday availability but I think that is highly unlikely this year.

General Admission on Friday IIRC means you have a roving seat to all the grandstands so it's not really GA it's everything.

Regards Mike

#98 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:21

Billy Ocean is providing entertainment along with Alistair Griffin. Wow. Just wow. Think I might be giving the entertainment zones a miss this year.

#99 blackmme

blackmme

• 423 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 16:26

Billy Ocean is providing entertainment along with Alistair Griffin. Wow. Just wow. Think I might be giving the entertainment zones a miss this year.

I would take (the now quite ancient) Billy and Alistair Griffin over Rick Parfett jnr slaughtering Robbie Williams standards (just get your head around that concept) any day of the week!

Regards Mike

Advertisement

#100 AlanK

AlanK

• 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 18:03

The arrogance and ignorance of the F1 personnel will be the downfall of the sport. Considering they are meant to be the educated, intelligent individuals their attitude to the sport and fans is awful.

With less than 4 weeks until the British GP there are still tickets in 11 grandstands available as well as general admission. I can not see it selling out this year. In my opinion this has nothing to do with Vettel winning all of the time ( which he`s not really doing this year anyway! ). Its the economy, people having bad experiences last year, The free live coverage on the BBC being restricted to 9 races this year, its turned so many casual viewers away. However, the biggest issue is price. Yes, Glastonbury might be £200, a football match might be £50 but general admission prices have risen from less than £100 to £165 in 6 years. Thats a 65% increase in 6 years, during a recession.

The wing is great but we don`t go to the wing do we? A few weeks back I attended the WEC event. The toilet block behind Club grandstand ( yes, THE toilet block expected to service about 15000 people ) had no power....no lights, no hand driers working, and of course the toilet door lock was missing. Thats just bloody abysmal treatment for the customer.
At the entrance to the pedestrian tunnel on the Hangar straight the same inch of mud that was washed off the banking during last years GP was still all over the pavement.

I have requested on numerous occasions that we have access to the circuit on the Thursday. So many other circuits allow this and do pit lane walks etc. I get the same reply every time which is that FOM will not allow this. I even provided Silverstone with a link this week advertising a fans open day at Canada next week. Needless to say I had no reply. I don`t believe them anymore. The only way you can get near the paddock is if you win a competition by humiliating yourself playing air guitar on stage somewhere. Its so bloody patronising.
Silverstone constantly promot the free after race party. 1st of all, its not free. The budget comes from the customers. And who picks the entertainment? This year we have X factor failures again!

There also used to be lots of off track activities. All of the team stands no longer exist. Its just merchandise now.
There is also no where to sit undercover to eat and drink. No marquees or anything. You have to sit on a wet bench in the rain.

There are so many simple improvements that could be made but it would appear that the will is just not there.

All said and done, I`ll be there. Arriving Tuesday at Whittlebury which is so much better than the official Silverstone site. They allow simple things like people in caravans and trailer tents to pitch up next to friends in tents without insisting you go to seperate fields. ( a rule Silverstone announced just last week after customers had already booked and paid! ). I put up with the poor service to see the F1 and meet fellow fans. There is a special spirit amongst the fans on the banking at 6am. ( I`ve been in about every grandstand but GA has the best atmosphere by far ).
See you there