Photo
- - - - -

Wheels - Logitech G27 or Thrustmaster T500 RS?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JdB

JdB

• 3,143 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 19:37

Hey everyone! Years ago i had a Guillemot FErrari FFB Wheel, which i literally drove to pieces. After that one, i had a few cheap wheels, but they just couldn't satisfy me  ;) Now i decided it's time for a decent wheel, and i narrowed the options down to 2 : the Logitech and the Thrustmaster. The price doesn't really bother me, as they're both expensive. I heard great stories about the Thrustmaster, but the G27 has a separate manual gearbox, and now i'm stuck.
Do any of you have experience with either, or both wheels? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

thanks, Jeroen

Advertisement

#2 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 10,562 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:32

Not concidered any Fanatec wheels? Lot of accessories to build your system, gearsticks and such. Works well with PC, XBox360 and PS3.

#3 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 14:46

Can't help you too much with the comparison but i've had a G27 for around 2ish year now and it hasn't missed a beat, i pretty much exclusively play on the PC and its done the job for me but i really like the look of the the Fanatec clubsport with the Formula rim and clubsport pedals but its a lot of money for the whole package, £500 odd for something and i'm not sure of the gains, i'd love someones opinion on the fanatec to be honest.. hint hint.

#4 JdB

JdB

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 18:32

Not concidered any Fanatec wheels? Lot of accessories to build your system, gearsticks and such. Works well with PC, XBox360 and PS3.

I read a review about the Fanatec wheel, but that person had trouble with the software, and Fanatec being a "small" company, had difficulties providing tech support. It's not that i'm stupid, but i just don't have the patience to keep on fiddling with it untill it's working, by then i'll probably have hrown it out of the window ... But if somone can tell me different, i'll be more than happy to consider that one as well ....

Thanks.

gr.Jeroen

#5 BCM

BCM

• 298 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 23:18

I've had a Fanatec Clubsport base and Formula rim for a month or so now. I use it pretty much just for iRacing. I had been using a G27 for a few years. The FFB from the Clubsport is much much smoother than the G27. Has more programmable buttons than a G27 and there is a third party program called Fanaleds that allows you to setup the LCD on the wheel to show various parameters whilst you are driving in a number of sims. The wheel base allows you to swap out different wheels. There is a touring car wheel available as del as the formula one I have. They use quick releases like real race car wheels to take them on and off the base. You can connect the wheel base to G27 pedals which is how I have it setup or you can use Fanatec ones. Fanatec are also about to release separate shifters that will hook to the base. Not really something I'm interested in as I'm happy just using the pedals, but some people like the realism of a separate shifter.

I can't comment on the reliability or support at the moment as I've only had it a month and I haven't had any issues. However at this stage I'm more than happy with the purchase and I'd buy it again given if I was looking for a new wheel.

#6 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,470 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 15:16

the thrustmaster is in a different league to the g27. I have a fanatec csr which I guess sits somewhere between the two, both in terms of cost and performance

#7 JdB

JdB

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:41

I finally got the Thrustmaster, and it blew me away!! I can really recommend it, although it's so powerfull i can't play it on max :lol:
I'm still thinking about buying the separate shifter as well ....
Posted Image
Anyone any experiences with it?

grtz.Jeroen

#8 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 16:34

I finally got the Thrustmaster, and it blew me away!! I can really recommend it, although it's so powerfull i can't play it on max :lol:
I'm still thinking about buying the separate shifter as well ....

Anyone any experiences with it?

grtz.Jeroen

I'm sorry that I only saw this thread today. I have both a G27 and a Thrustmaster T500Rs and have used both extensively. Although since I've had the T500 (for about 18 months), the G27 has been sitting in the box and that about sums up the difference between the two quite neatly. Since you already have the T500 I don't really need to go on about it, but simply put, with a few minor nits, it's superior to the G27 in just about every way and makes the G27 seem like a toy in comparison.

I have the h-pattern shifter and will only say that it's a very well built, solid piece of kit. If it makes any sense, the shifter actually seems much more solid than the wheel itself does. It's fabulous. I've driven real cars that didn't feel as good, smooth and solid shifting as that thing does. Trust me, you'll love it. That said, there are few games out there that really let you take advantage of it (unless you use it as a sequential shifter). In iRacing, most of the cars use a sequential box. But it works well with the cars that allow an h-pattern. And it works with the PS3 as well (GT5/GT6).

Edited by jaisli, 03 July 2013 - 16:35.

#9 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:53

jaisli, taking into account your avatar, do you run the wheel on a Mac?

Neil

#10 Beernathan

Beernathan

• 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:12

I've had a G27 for a couple of years. Super frustrated as it's developed an issue (which seems quite common) where it drags the brake, and the accelerator doesn't always go to full throttle. Logitech have said they won't address as it's out of warranty.

Makes it impossible to play F1 2012 - brake drag kills DRS all the time!

#11 Meanie

Meanie

• 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:45

I've had a G27 for a couple of years. Super frustrated as it's developed an issue (which seems quite common) where it drags the brake, and the accelerator doesn't always go to full throttle. Logitech have said they won't address as it's out of warranty.

Makes it impossible to play F1 2012 - brake drag kills DRS all the time!

This should solve your problem, really:

http://www.gtplanet....ad.php?t=247510

If you're too lazy or worried about the whole procedure, just spraying the contact cleaner inside the pot (and moving the arms a couple of times between the sprays - by pressing the pedals all the way down) should help a lot for at least some weeks.

The full cleaning described on the link I've posted, will last you a lot longer without issues.

Good luck.

#12 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 21:01

jaisli, taking into account your avatar, do you run the wheel on a Mac?

Neil

Sorry, I really should check threads I post in more often.   :)

No, I think the Mac version of iRacing has only been avaialble for a little over a month.  And TBH, it's been close to 9 months I last ran a race in iRacing.  I just haven't had the time.  I actually have a Core i7 PC I bought just for sim racing.  It's in my basement hooked up to a plasma TV and it sits next to the PS3.  Convenient.  It's about 2 years old and the graphics card was only mid range when I bought it.  But it's still enough that I can run with everything set to the highest level (single screen) and still manage about 85 FPS.

I did download iRacing on my Mac Pro.  But it's now about 4 years old and a bit long in the tooth.  One of these days I will hook my wheel up just to see how it runs.

Edited by jaisli, 04 October 2013 - 21:02.

#13 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 14:57

Thanks for the eventual reply, jaisli.  I'm grateful as late is infinitely better than never.  :)

Let us know how you go when you do hook up the wheel to the Mac.  It's amazing how little info I can find on plugging any of the various wheel brands into OSX.  And I'm too cheap, and game too little, to be bothered getting a Windows system just for that.

Neil

#14 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,215 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 18:25

When I bought the PS3, (2008) I was still using a G5 Mac and didn't have the option to run Windows through Bootcamp.  So I was sitting on the fence whether to buy a PS3 or Xbox or PC.  But it was in the heart of the recession and the PS3 won out.  After 3 years of SSV8, SSV8NC, NFS:Shift, Ferrari Challenge, GT5:P, Supercar Challenge and GT5, I kind of gave up on PS3 gaming.  Too many kids, clowns and argy-bargy going on for my taste.  Over time, I met a lot of great folks on the PSN who were less gamers and more motorsports enthusiasts at heart, and enjoyed the idea of vicariously being able to throw a car around a track for a tiny fraction of the cost of doing it in the real world.  So I had a very full friend list with like minded people and held a lot of private events.  But I eventually grew tired of the poor tire modeling, the overblown slip stream and the constant connection problems that the PS3 and PSN's P2P connection model suffered. 

That's when I bought the PC.  I went through Rfactor, Race 07 / GTR Evo, tried out Netkar and LFS, and eventually settled on iRacing.  I was pretty active for about a year and it was everything I wanted it to be.  In brief, a much more accurate, much more serious simulation and closer to the real thing than any console racer offered.  But I suppose it was a case of being careful what you wish for.  Between my job and family commitments, I barely had time to run a race in iRacing, let alone find the time to practice, set up the car, run qualifying, etc.  And Then I'd finally run a race and there wouldn't be enough people to make it go official.  Or there'd be just enough for a split and I'd usually end up the slowest guy in the "fast group" and have my ass handed to me, running around the back of the field for the entire race.  Or there'd be an early pile up and the race would be over and I just didn't have enough time to stick around for the next round. 

I think my account is good for another 4-5 months but I'm not sure if I'm going to renew unless my situation changes and I'm able to get some practice time in.  iRacing is more a 'hobby' than a 'game' and you really need to keep at it if you want to be any good at it.  I intend to pick up GT6 in Demember but that's really a bit of a double edged sword.  Joining public lobbies in console land is like a trip to kindergarten.  I just can't be bothered.  Yeah sure, you'd run into some dingbats in iRacing too but they were usually in the minority.  But if the A.I. is just as poor in GT6 as it was in GT5, I can barely be bothered. 

In that sense, I probably haven't gotten my monies worth out of the PC.  Does anybody ever?  And when iRacing goes full 64 bit (probably in another year), I doubt my current graphic card can handle it.  And I'd probably have to upgrade my power supply for a decent graphics card.  Always throwing more money at it--that's the PC dilema which I was trying to avoid when I bought the PS3.  That said, if you have a Mac and an iRacing account, I'm sure the same wheels are supported.  So I can tell you at very least, the Thrustmaster T500, Logitech G25/G27 and DFGT should work fine. 

#15 Option1

Option1

• 13,431 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 19:17

Cool.  Thanks again.

Neil