Webber to quit F1

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,226 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:34

Another news story saying Mark is quitting at the end of the year :/

In the immortal words of Hall and Oates... Say it isn't So..

This contradicts what he said recently about having a few more years left in F1 so who knows?!

MARK WEBBER will walk away from Formula One at the end of this season.

The Red Bull driver has told close friends this year will be his final campaign in grand prix racing.

http://www.dailystar...ts/view/312939/?

Edited by gowebber, 05 May 2013 - 08:49.

Advertisement

#2 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,401 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:05

It's the daily star.... :rolleyes: and who needs enemies with close friends leaking like this....

#3 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:56

Not the most reliable source.

If I were Webber and still believe myself to be a top driver, then I'd give it a try at a different team - possibly racing another WDC.

#4 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:08

He could try Lotus if Raikkonen does move to Red Bull. He should be able to beat Grosjean on experience and who knows.

#5 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18

Why would Lotus be interested in Webber? They would be much better off trying Hulkenberg, di Resta or Ricciardo if Raikkonen leaves.

#6 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:21

Why would Lotus be interested in Webber? They would be much better off trying Hulkenberg, di Resta or Ricciardo if Raikkonen leaves.

I disagree. Those three are still too inexperienced to line up next to Grosjean and lead the team. Webber would be the best choice if Raikkonen does leave.

#7 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:25

Leading blah blah is secondary to sheer talent. We know what we think about drivers leading teams. Hulkenberg is a no-brainer if he is available. A team principal would be stupid to pick Webber over Hulkenberg, experience, leadership skills, nothing makes up for it.

#8 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:35

I disagree. Those three are still too inexperienced to line up next to Grosjean and lead the team. Webber would be the best choice if Raikkonen does leave.

Yep, just like Vettel was too inexperienced to be Red Bull's leader in 2009....oh wait.  ;)

Talent will out, i really want to see the Hulk in a competitive car, i don't think anybody else on the grid deserves a shot in one more than him.

#9 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:45

I really don't see, what would a 37-year-old Webber bring for Lotus next year, so I don't see the point. He certainly wouldn't bring a much higher standard of performance than some of the young guns. Experience and leadership? Nah, Mercedes hired the most proven "leader" of all, Schumacher, for three years and the team actually moved backwards during that time.

#10 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:48

everything has to end , and webber is now 37 , so looks like the end is near for him

#11 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:09

If it's true, I really hope he goes to Le Mans.

#12 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:13

If it's true, I really hope he goes to Le Mans.

+1

#13 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:53

i want all retired f1 drivers to go to DTM , just to enjoy the beautiful cars there

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:57

Not the most reliable source.

If I were Webber and still believe myself to be a top driver, then I'd give it a try at a different team - possibly racing another WDC.

That's easy to say, but realistically what other top team do you see offering him a contract?

#15 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 13:56

That's easy to say, but realistically what other top team do you see offering him a contract?

I'm not sure whether he would get a seat at a top team. My point was more that, if I were Webber, I'd rather try to get a contract elsewhere rather than ending a career being beaten by Vettel each year. And if he already now knows that he won't be in F1 next year, then he hasn't really tried getting a seat elsewhere. That's what would surprise me if the source were correct.

That said, Ferrari (replacing Massa) and Lotus (replacing Grosjean) or less likely McLaren (replacing Perez) could be options if the second drivers of those teams perform poorly in the next races.

On the Lotus rumours: If Kimi leaves and Grosjean underperforms, they could hire both - Hulkenberg and Webber.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 13:59

On the Lotus rumours: If Kimi leaves and Grosjean underperforms, they could hire both - Hulkenberg and Webber.

That's what I was thinking, makes perfect sense apart from continuity but the car is a total reset anyway, continuity in terms of drivers won't be that important. But I can also picture Webber fed up and willing to walk away for good.

#17 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 14:11

That's what I was thinking, makes perfect sense apart from continuity but the car is a total reset anyway, continuity in terms of drivers won't be that important. But I can also picture Webber fed up and willing to walk away for good.

I think it's on the contrary actually, continuity with drivers is extremely important with completely new cars.

#18 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 14:22

Best what Webber can do now is to get out of politics, get genuinely friendly with his team-mate, and end his last year on high note, keeping his memories on a pleasant level, instead as a bitter old man who was chased out by a younger buck.

#19 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 14:49

Best what Webber can do now is to get out of politics, get genuinely friendly with his team-mate, and end his last year on high note, keeping his memories on a pleasant level, instead as a bitter old man who was chased out by a younger buck.

Holy ****! You should get a job at Fox News.

Advertisement

#20 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:00

+1

If he wants out, fine. He is an example of a driver who has the speed to win races, and maybe even a title, but has had a team have little confidence, well more like, desire to run a number two driver who is at equal footing as their number one.

Red Bull comes across as an old school F1 team. Ferrari of the 90's, early 2000's. Throw a bone at the number two ever now and then, but realistically they come across as if they wish they didn't have to run two cars.

Would Webber go somewhere else? Will Lotus actually be a contender without Räikkönen? Mass'a form to this point early on has IMO, cemented at least another year.

#21 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:04

How do you know he doesn't already?

#22 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:12

Would love to see Webber try to lead a team. In particular the mental gymnastics he would perform to come across as both a victim and as a team leader. I wonder. He would probably emphasize all the pressure he would face as a team leader.

#23 DKMoto

DKMoto

• 210 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:30

Vettel has took Webber's heart and soul. He ethered him, that dagger. Webber can continue yelling at clouds and telling young whippersnappers to get off his lawn.

#24 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:47

Throw a bone at the number two ever now and then, but realistically they come across as if they wish they didn't have to run two cars.

If it were that bad, he could have changed teams already. In Malaysia, team orders were not against, but in favour of Webber. Last year, the team developed the RB7 more in Webber's direction initially. There are certainly also quite a few decisions which favoured Vettel, but overall, RB has the budget to support two cars. If they have to disadvantage one driver, then it is likely Webber (since Vettel has higher WDC chances), but my impression is that this doesn't happen very frequently.

#25 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 16:46

Let's wait and see if this doesn't turn out to be another rumor...like the Porsche one.

#26 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 16:58

Let's wait and see if this doesn't turn out to be another rumor...like the Porsche one.

This IS a rumour. Just as the Porsche rumour IS a rumour.

But what kind of rumour is it?

#27 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:04

This IS a rumour. Just as the Porsche rumour IS a rumour.

But what kind of rumour is it?

Unverified, as they all are. I suppose some journo will ask Mark about it next weekend.

#28 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:47

And he'll just deflect it like he did the Porsche rumours. If he's going to retire he's going to wait for a certain moment to announce it, probably the end of the European season.

#29 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 18:00

everything has to end , and webber is now 37 , so looks like the end is near for him

Yeah.

I'll be sad to see him go, one of my favourites.

Edited by Winter98, 05 May 2013 - 18:01.

#30 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 18:36

He's still only 36. :)

#31 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 18:57

I really hate this; is this some kind of Anglos sass imperial illness that there has to be always somebody on the top and interfere with lives of others? In the garage there are two cars, two (presumably) equal teams, and a so call f-ing "leader" is neither needed, or wanted. This is not a kindergarten, and if Webber was, or still is expecting be one in RBR garage, no wonder we have nothing but problems.

#32 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 19:03

Would love to see Webber try to lead a team. In particular the mental gymnastics he would perform to come across as both a victim and as a team leader. I wonder. He would probably emphasize all the pressure he would face as a team leader.

Well, he did lead Williams in 2005 and 2006, so he's had the experience. Though 2006 wasn't his best year and he was far too critisizing on his team back then.

#33 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 19:03

Get him to America. Do some NASCAR or Indy.

#34 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 19:16

IF...

This is true, I hope he drops the friend that leaked it, I find it disgusting that someone would do that when told in confidence.
If I was a friend and he told me, I'd keep it to myself, not run screaming to the newspapers.

#35 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 19:21

If Webber is planning to leave (and I am not sure he made that decision as yet), Horner, his business partner, would know already. There would be time line to which both agreed when this will be officially confirmed, but I don't think Horner spilled the beans.

#36 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 19:47

IF...

This is true, I hope he drops the friend that leaked it, I find it disgusting that someone would do that when told in confidence.
If I was a friend and he told me, I'd keep it to myself, not run screaming to the newspapers.

relax, 95% of all leaks coming from "friends" are leaked with the consent of the affected party. No better way to invite offers from outside F1 than to "leak" you won't be doing F1 next year without actually saying so yourself and closing any F1 doors that may be ajar

#37 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 20:04

Webber is a pretty quick driver, certainly quicker than a good few in F1 but you mustn't forget how long it took him to beat that 5th place in a Minardi in his first race. There is something not quite right about his career to ever have been a champion. Up until 2009 having started in 2002 he had 2 podiums to his name. That's an awfully long time.

Edited by Juan Kerr, 05 May 2013 - 20:08.

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 21:23

I'm not sure whether he would get a seat at a top team. My point was more that, if I were Webber, I'd rather try to get a contract elsewhere rather than ending a career being beaten by Vettel each year. And if he already now knows that he won't be in F1 next year, then he hasn't really tried getting a seat elsewhere. That's what would surprise me if the source were correct.

That said, Ferrari (replacing Massa) and Lotus (replacing Grosjean) or less likely McLaren (replacing Perez) could be options if the second drivers of those teams perform poorly in the next races.

Your saying that from the perspective of never having competed in F1. Having driven for the top team I'm not sure why driving around in the mid\back of the field would be particularly attractive. I doubt he is the sort to want to just make up the numbers.

#39 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 21:26

I for one would be devastated if Mark quit the sport. He is a character we need in F1 imo and the field would be a lesser one without him! One of my favourites of the current crop, only ones I prefer are Lewis and Kimi. I guess he needs to leave RBR though, Lotus and RBR to do a straight swap at the end of the year?

Advertisement

#40 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:43

Webber is a pretty quick driver, certainly quicker than a good few in F1 but you mustn't forget how long it took him to beat that 5th place in a Minardi in his first race. There is something not quite right about his career to ever have been a champion. Up until 2009 having started in 2002 he had 2 podiums to his name. That's an awfully long time.

Pretty hard to get podiums when he was driving unreliable sheds for so many seasons. If he'd chosen to go to Renault (like his manager Briatore recommended) instead of a Williams things may have been very different in regards to podiums & possibly wins.

#41 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:56

Okay. It was a nice run. Bye.

#42 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:32

Over a period driving a Minardi, Jaguar and Williams.
The Minardi doesnt need explanation. The whole Jag F1 adventure was a trainwreck and a Williams in name only.

#43 Callahan

Callahan

• 607 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:50

A lot of Webber haters putting in the sword here. What goes around comes around grubs. Mark has had an excellent career and he has plenty of " moments " that will be talked about for years, 3 wins at Monaco being a highlight ( F3000 being the 1st ).

#44 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:09

The way i interpret this is someone or some people out there within F1 want Mark Webber out,

I'd say Helmut Marko wants to replace Mark with someone more subservient and/or Paul Di Resta management could be pushing hard for that seat.

#45 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:20

As with the Porsche rumour, would rather wait for confirmation. There's still lots of racing to go.. but if it was all based on the last race, I'd say he SHOULD quit. But otherwise, he hasn't been bad this year so far.

#46 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:50

Red Bull comes across as an old school F1 team. Ferrari of the 90's, early 2000's. Throw a bone at the number two ever now and then, but realistically they come across as if they wish they didn't have to manage two drivers.

FTFY

They love having a second car that's also fast. The fact that the driver of that second car has feelings is incredibly inconvenient to them.

That's what they get for trying to hire two great racing drivers!

#47 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:56

Yeah, he really dominated that Red Bull from 2009 to 2012, now we need him to fill up another promising seat instead of young drivers.

#48 krea

krea

• 2,187 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:56

I don't see a big problem for Red Bull though.
Even if they don't get Kimi Räikkönen, a Hülkenberg would be already an improvement for example.

And no pitty for Webber he played the game long enough against Vettel and his team.

#49 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,194 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 13:20

I'd be surprised if the story doesn't turn out to be true. Webber's getting relatively old and he's tried long enough to beat Vettel. He seems to be doing no better this year than other years where that's concerned. I certainly don't see him as the type to not know when to stop.

Some look at achievements like money. They can't seem to have enough of it. Instead of looking at what they have, they obsess over what they don't have. Webber may not have beaten the current triple champion, but he's had a great career in F1. A very respectable one indeed. I highly doubt that he'd turn out to be a bitter old man for it by obsessing over Vettel and RedBull rather than appreciating the bigger picture.

Once he's out of the team things will be a whole lot better.

#50 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 579 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:18

Reminds me a bit of David Coulthard, a nice guy that could have possibly won a title with some luck earlier ni the career, but didnt. Yet stayed in the game for a very long time.

I do think its time for him to move on tho, no point in staying another year and most likely being beaten by Vettel.