Photo

Corvette SS, not the race car but a show car, white

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 23:36

Everybody in Corvette world knows of the blue SS, tube framed magnesium bodied car that lasted 23 laps in its debut race at Sebring but there was another Corvette called the SS that was white (not the mule for Sebring though that ws white) and not the SR race cars, but a '56 or '57 body , a show car with two small racing windscreens, the brushed metal side coves, a couple of thin blue stripes down the hood and tail. Supposedly the car is the subject of litigation today, some 60 years later! I don't know whywhen SR2 car are mentioned, this one is never mentioned though it seems to have as much SR2 styling cues as the Harlow Curtice road car which is more of a SR2 "light" tame street car.

I am just curious that I never read a story about this car and what happened to it. What makes it more confusing is the existance of a car owned by a French GM designer who once showed me a blue '56 or '57 Corvette with some SR2 features at his house in Birmingham MI but that turned out to be a wanna be made with leftover parts from the SR2s, that one unmasked in Car & Driver.

Advertisement

#2 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:51

Posted Image
I assume you're talking about this one.
Checking here might help you.
I think you should try to digg deeper there...

#3 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 15:57

That's the car. Only I can see I was wrong, it doesn't have the extended (and heavier) nose of the SR-2s. And I didn't know it was restored but those pictures on the site you referred me to look like recent pictures maybe taken at the National Corvette Museum. So I will continue to look for a story on this car and see if the SR2 people count it as one of their own or just a look-alide from the side (though it did include the SR2 dashboard). And where was it all these years?

Edited by HistoryBuff, 08 May 2013 - 15:58.

#4 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:16

I am glad to see this thread, as I have not heard of this particular car since I saw it at the 1956 Milwaukee Auto Show. I remember it well but seem to be the only one of my group who does since this car was so obscure and seemed to disappear as fast as it appeared.

As you mention, this is not to be confused with the SR-2s nor the '57 SS.