Posted 08 May 2013 - 15:52

Tonight on ITV4 21.00 The Unrideables

Ron Haslam, Wayne Rainey and the rest of the best 1980-90's

Advertisement

#2 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 23:58

Yes, it was excellent. I wonder if there's a sequel?

#3 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:23

Interesting to hear all those great riders' thoughts but I'd have liked a few 'fairing off' shots and technical explanations on why the bikes were so vicious.

#4 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:34

I thought exactly the same of Mat Oxley's book "An Age of Superheroes", written about the same era. Plenty of glossy mugshots, but woefully short on tech and garage pics.

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:27

Great programme, it showed how much better racing was back then till Dorna murdered it, full grids & 12+ Full factory bikes, ridden by great characters & not robot midgets of today. Mind you wont have to worry soon as I wont be able to watch it (MotoGP) when it goes out exclusively on the BT sport channel.

#6 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:20

And now Crutchlow is worried that Espargaro might have his seat next year - http://www.crash.net..._espargaro.html - why don't they go the whole hog and re-name it the Spanish MotoGP Championship?

#7 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:40

And now Crutchlow is worried that Espargaro might have his seat next year - http://www.crash.net..._espargaro.html - why don't they go the whole hog and re-name it the Spanish MotoGP Championship?

Cal has been a fool to himself. At the end of last year, after a season of falling off and exposing his inability to overtake, he told everyone the Tech 3 bike wasn't good enough for him. He wanted a work ride and chased after Ducati to get one. When he failed, he signed up to Tech 3 again, but only for 1 year, because he still believes he's entitled to a works ride. Unless he can get a seat with Suzuke, he's likely to be on a CRT bike next year.

Don't worry, with BT Sport taking over MotoGP coverage in the UK, most of us won't be able to watch it and interest in MotoGP will soon go through the floor.

#8 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:43

Cal has been a fool to himself. At the end of last year, after a season of falling off and exposing his inability to overtake, he told everyone the Tech 3 bike wasn't good enough for him. He wanted a work ride and chased after Ducati to get one. When he failed, he signed up to Tech 3 again, but only for 1 year, because he still believes he's entitled to a works ride. Unless he can get a seat with Suzuke, he's likely to be on a CRT bike next year.

Don't worry, with BT Sport taking over MotoGP coverage in the UK, most of us won't be able to watch it and interest in MotoGP will soon go further through the floor.

Fixed that for you Tonka  ;)

#9 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:47

For those who haven't seen The Unrideables as yet, here's a link :

http://www.motorspor...he-unrideables/

#10 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 14:15

I was really concerned when Crutchlow started chasing the Ducati ride, and relieved when he didnt get it, I personally think it would have ruined a promising career, unless maybe he could see something about that motorcycle that he thought would work for him?

You only have to look at where his old team mate has been so far this year compared to last year when there was nothing between them both on the Tech 3 bikes.

I think Crutchlow is the best that Britain has produced at premier GP level for a very long time, given his current age and experience I reckon he will go on to finally become the first Brit since Sheene to win a premier class GP race.

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 16:28

Not without a full factory bike (Honda/Yamaha) unless MotoGP goes to full CRT then he has a chance, Crutchlow is getting the heave ho at the end of the year to make way for Espargaro.