Photo

Ford X1, Can-Am car by Bruce McLaren

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 17:14

From what I have read, Ford believed mightily in Bruce McLaren (who had been a test driver during Ford GT40 development) so entrusted him one of two
chassis, lightweight aluminum ones, to develop into a Can Am car. (Not sure if it was called Can Am at that point, but unlimited size engines anyway). He put on the nose of a '65 Ford GT big block car (the same nose used at LeMans) and I think put in a different gearbox (Hewland?) and a 427 iron block. I have a picture of the engine wearing four side draft Webers (anybody know where I can buy that manifold?) I think he entered it in four races and failed to finish most of them. the car was later rebodied with Mk/ II panels but left open form and won Sebring in '66.

A model car site I just found has a different description and a beautifully detailed model:

http://www.esport-ra...p;contentid=500

They say: "The Ford X1 was a roadster built to contest the 1965 North American Pro Series,
the forerunner of the Can Am series.

Entered by the Bruce McLaren team and driven by Chris Amon, the car had an
aluminium chassis built at Abbey Panels and was originally powered by a 4.5 L
(289ci) engine. It was later upgraded specification to the Mk II with a 7.0 L
(427ci) engine and a standard four ratio Kar Kraft gearbox, however the car kept
specific features like its open roof and lightweight chassis. "

My question: 1.)was it too heavy for Can-am?
2.) why would Ford send the second chassis to Holman & Moody when it makes sense taht, if he goofed up on the first chassis, he could start outon the second chassis dorrecting his mistake? Sending the second one to H & M makes me think they were going to give H & M money to do their own open car but I don't think that happened.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:09

The McLaren boys christened the car 'Big Ed' (from Edsel Ford) and Howden Ganley played a major role in its building and operation. If we are very lucky Howden might find the time, and energy, to reminisce again here?

DCN

#3 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:52

Do I sense a "re-construction" in the air ????????

#4 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 22:22

I met someone who is building a copy
He said there is also someone in the US with Hispanic last name building one at considerable cost
My question is theoretical: if the duplicate chassis made at the same time comes to light, couldn't it be considered an "in period" car because its chassis was laid down at the same time?

I cite the example of a guy who worked at Studebaker when they were tied with Mercedes who ordered a gullwing chassis and built it piece by piece, I am sure that is still considered a real Gullwing. Also I heard something similar about a 904GTS.

Regarding the original chassis 110 , I heard recently that back in '65, one chassis went to McLaren and the duplicate chassis to
H &M. Incidentally I don't think the body was interred with the body so I wonder what happened to the targa body shell it ran with at Sebring?