Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

97th Indianapolis 500 go-around (Merged - Officially!)

• Please log in to reply
884 replies to this topic

Poll: Story of the month (90 member(s) have cast votes)

What will it be?

1. Four times? (5 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. New winner (33 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. Power ends his losing streak (9 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Satooooooo (43 votes [47.78%])

Percentage of vote: 47.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:05

No need for the official tag.

The 97th Indianapolis 500

Posted Image

Month of May means many things, summer, Monaco, Fox ending it's slice of Nascar for this year, all racing series in full action... well, take your pick.

In american open-wheeler world May (still) means Indy and despite all atempts the race still goes.

It's amazing to think the whole thing started out in 1911 with Joe Dawson.
Posted Image

Many more followed including some alien invaders from Formula 1. But despite this it's still very much american.

Nowadays the Indy 500 is technically part of the Indycar Series. Technically, because the event just dwarfs the whole thing. But let's leave the politics aside.

This year the Indy 500 has at the time of this post a confirmed 33 car entries, which means another full field by an inch. Being that cars qualify at Indy it's fine to have just 32 confirmed drivers, im sure they will get someone to fill out the 33rd car. Could have been Ross but I hear he plans to try Nascar instead.
Entry List

3 Ladies will try their luck but the highlight is certainly the possibility of Dario and Helio joining the likes of Mears and Foyt in the 4 all time winners roster.

Right, so this has to take place somewhere right? I guess. Unless Bernie bought it during the evening, the venue will the famous Indianapolis Motorspeedway, located in Speedway Indiana, it has the amazing number of 4 turns. Oddly enough it looks like it also hosted the other 96 runnings. It seems it used be made of bricks, probably had to cover it up not to be sued by Roger Waters.
Posted Image

We miss you Jim
Risil, will take over now.

Edited by Red17, 08 May 2013 - 20:19.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:48

Posted Image

IZOD Indycar Series Round 5 of 19: Indianapolis 500
Track length: 2.5 miles
Race length: 200 laps
Straights: 2
Corners: 4
Previous winner: Dario Franchitti

Posted Image
Here's where they'll (not) be racing.

Little early, isn't it?
NO. Practice starts on Saturday, which means it's officially Indy 500 time. In fact, the official Indy 500 Golf Outing takes place tomorrow morning! You can book your place here, I'm sure Head Golf Professional Jeff Williams won't mind. Here are some more dates for your calendar:

11 May-17 May (Noon-6pm): Indycar practice
18 May: Pole Day
19 May: Bump Day
22 May: Autograph Day
23 May: Indy Lights Day
24 May: Carb Day
25 May: Parnelli Jones and Hot Wheels Day
26 May: Indy 500 Day

Posted Image
You're doing it wrong.

Five Facts that Indy 500 noobs shouldn't do without
1) Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a golf course
2) The Indy 500 takes a really long time
3) But not as long as all the practice sessions
4) Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a golf course
5) Similar to the stipend the Israeli government gives to young Haredi men to study the Talmud indefinitely, there are Indiana folk paid out of the state budget to quit their jobs and watch every minute of Indy 500 practice.

What is this Indycar championship you speak of
During the last month or so I've heard the creaky sound of bandwagon jumping. Perhaps owing to the fact that Indycar sucks slightly less than every other racing series this year, the hardcorest of hardcore race fans have begun to leave off reading Red Bull politics from Paul Hembery's worry lines, pretending this year's Le Mans 24 Hours won't be a Toyaudi 1-2-3-4-5-6, and basking in the summer that one charging barging Spanish motorcyclist swallow didn't make, and are instead paying attention to The Greatest Spec Series With Two Engine Choices On Earth.

If Indycar were a clinical depressive housebound by a nervous breakdown punctuating the high-livin' 1990s, I'd say that having managed to make brief excursions from its bed in 2011ish, it's now wandering around the kitchen eating Weetabix and sending a couple of messages on Facebook to show it's still alive. It's not too far off being able to sit in the same room as someone else without bursting into tears or rehearsing all its loathings in the universe. Curtains haven't quite been opened yet, and it's a long way off making a trip down the shops. But with a little help from Good Angel Hinchcliffe and Bad Angel Satoooo, I figure it's not blasphemous to talk about recuperation.

Posted Image
Congratulations, Jim!

Enough metaphor! I hate metaphors!
Okay let's talk about straightforward racing drivers instead. It's believed that the whole IMS board is legally obliged to commit Seppuku should the Indy 500 not reach 33 entries. The regular season car count this year has hovered between 25 and 27, which means a few wildcards have to be drafted in to save IMS from some ruinous dry cleaning bills. These are:

AJ Allmendinger (Roger Team Penske)
Ryan Briscoe (Chip Ganassie Racing)
Michel Jourdain Jr (Team Rahal)
Carlos Munoz (Andretti Autosport)
Conor Daly (Foyt)
Townsend Bell (Panther Racing)
Pippa Mann, who confusingly enough is a woman (Dale Coyne)
Buddy Lazier (Lazier Partners, possibly the first racing team in Indy 500 history to sound like a legal firm?)

I didn't say they'd be exciting wildcards!

Posted Image
Indianapolis's newest racing dynasty

Anyway I've just noticed someone else has already started an Indy 500 thread so I'd better go. I expect we'll be having some more Indy 500 related posts when things happen.

#3 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:56

Nabors is in this year I think?

And I have a hunch Kurt Busch might be looking at more than just his test. I don't know why else you'd run the car. Though Andretti surely doesn't have the resources to suddenly add car 6.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:24

I'm expecting some heroic merging to take place

#5 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:30

Yes Heroic merging. Very good job on opening post. I am hoping for Rahal or Andretti. It would be nice to have an American win with bloodlines to the sport.

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:34

So should I split...

#7 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:35

... my post in two to accommodate the two threads?

#8 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:36

...a fun idea

#9 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:37

I think that would be....

#10 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:39

Sato for the win. Might not have won, but Foyt entries have been decent here in the last few years, and Sato was impressive last year.

A bit of a joke there though, as I feel it will be a Big Three (Andretti, Ganassi, Penske) destruction of the circuit. The Honda's are back on par with the Chevrolet's on the road circuits, and with Dario as defending winner, he has the upper hand going in. Dixon will make this number 2.

Edit: Need to give props for Conor Daly. Expectations are non-exisistent, but I just want him to do well. Finish at the very least. Especially as he is to miss a few days I believe, due to him going to be a potential title contender in GP3.

Edited by HaydenFan, 08 May 2013 - 23:27.

#11 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 22:50

Ok, so I probably got Risil angry, did not see his post, I take the fault. Not sure if polls can be added later, if it's possible Risil can PM me the options.

So, here is the shedule.
I understand NBC Sports will be covering Qualifying, with ABC via ESPN handling the race. IMS Radio will also be broadcasting during track action. Not sure how it will be this year but the official Indycar site site had a free stream available during practice sessions. It gets blacked out in qualifying but you can still get the audio and live tables.

Here is the shedule for the track action:

SATURDAY, MAY 11
Noon - 6 pm
Indianapolis 500 Practice

SUNDAY, MAY 12
Noon - 6 pm

MONDAY-THURSDAY, MAY 13-16
Noon - 6 pm

FRIDAY, MAY 17 (FAST FRIDAY)
Noon - 6 pm
6:15 pm
Pole Qualifying Draw

SATURDAY, MAY 18 (POLE DAY)
8 am
Indianapolis 500 Practice Group 1
8:30 am
Indianapolis 500 Practice Group 2
9 am - 10 am
Indianapolis 500 Open Practice
11 am - 4 pm
Qualifying Begins
4:30 pm - 6 pm
Fast Nine Qualifying (Positions 1 - 9)

SUNDAY, MAY 19 (BUMP DAY)
Noon - 6 pm
Qualifying

THURSDAY, MAY 23 (Inylights Hit the Track)
9 am
Firestone Freedom 100 Practice
1:15 pm
Firestone Freedom 100 Qualifying

FRIDAY, MAY 24 (CARB DAY, More Indylights)
11 am
Indianapolis 500 Final Practice
Noon
Firestone Freedom 100 Pre-race
12:30 pm
Firestone Freedom 100 Race
2 pm
Pit Stop Challenge

SATURDAY, MAY 25
LEGENDS DAY HONORING PARNELLI JONES (Is there any car this guy hasn't driven?)

SUNDAY, MAY 26
INDIANAPOLIS 500

Everyone knows this one right? No?

Ok, first exhibition race starts early in the moorning for the americans, but for some reason they always race at some micro country named Monte-Carlo. But hey, it's old and prestigious as well. Take a boat, grab some caviar and champagne and enjoy, race will not last more than 2 hours.
After the Monaco Grand Prix you are free to take a break (or not). Sleep, restock supplies, rewatch the race, post in the autosport forums (you may have to wait a while if one of the usual suspects wins as the server will take a hit).
Some 3 hours before the green flag the festivities will begin, and there is a whole lot to see.
Once drivers and start your engines has been introduced a plane flys by, hmmm, maybe it happens earlier, doesn't matter.

The race itself begins with a fairly simple procedure: cars will roll out of the pits in their respective grid positions and lap the speedway in formation. At this point some celebrity will climb onto the flag spot and be handed a green drape and told the following: «When you see that bunch of noisy dallaras aproaching wave this flag, and don't try to pull a Jack Nicholson on me!»

Which brings us the final question: will the race finish under yellow?

Be free to add up any additional information.

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 23:03

The race is shown on normal ABC.

#13 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 23:15

+5 if Power spins out

#14 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 23:34

The race is shown on normal ABC.

People complain about their coverage a lot, but I'd rather have the series get TV ratings above 1... which actually happens on a mainstream channel like ABC.

#15 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 00:19

Fantastic effort Red17 :up:
Fantastic effort Risil :up:

Edited by gm914, 17 May 2013 - 18:58.

#16 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:22

I'm setting the over/under for unnecessary Danica mentions on race day at 7.5 and I'm taking all bets!

#17 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:35

I'm setting the over/under for unnecessary Danica mentions on race day at 7.5 and I'm taking all bets!

I'll go under for a sig change or something. Of yer choice

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:48

Fewer than 5 surely. 3 would be excessive because you don't have the "Hinchcliffe, who drives the car formerly occupied by Danica Patrick" storyline this year.

#19 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:44

Awesome merge botch job attempted... may even have kept the poll.

Please note, unlike a NASCAR penalty, it can't be appealed and undone so you're stuck with this :kiss:

Advertisement

#20 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:46

Fewer than 5 surely. 3 would be excessive because you don't have the "Hinchcliffe, who drives the car formerly occupied by Danica Patrick" storyline this year.

Once for her potentially looking at doing the double this season. Maybe if one of the ladies leads that'll be number deux. Umm... a random one thrown in for the hell of it. Like you said, no storyline with Hinch, but I bet they'll bring her name for that a third time. So my pick is 3. A solid 3.

#21 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:04

I'm feeling a new winner this 500. Dunno why

#22 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:43

Why did no one start the "What will happen to Power this time?" thread?

Edited by Diablobb81, 09 May 2013 - 04:43.

#23 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:48

Thats pretty much every race now :p

#24 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:39

Andretti win will.

If I keep posting that every race I may actually be right some time in the future.

#25 Haribo

Haribo

• 866 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:50

An alien spacecraft will descend and trap Will Power's car in its tractor beam

#26 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:23

It's amazing to think the whole thing started out in 1911 with Joe Dawson.

I think you'll find the whole thing started out in 1911 with Ray Harroun.

Posted Image

Or maybe Ralph Mulford.

Your picture shows Dawson winning in 1912.

#27 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:24

Since IMS finally made a smart decision in hiring a competition director (and one good deed deserves 15 bad ones) I will have to say over on the Sparkle Princess mentions. News of Kurt running/possibly running the double will cause further mentions of Sparkles.

How about I call it 9 for a avatar change?

Looks like it will be a great race. As stated above I see an Andretti car winning. Would love to see Kanaan pull it out this year though. Just so long as its not a damn Ganassi

PS: Someone will STILL mention Hinch as running Sparkles' car.........I have that low a regard for the broadcast booth (not being a pessemistic indy car fan, just know how it will be)

#28 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:08

PS: Someone will STILL mention Hinch as running Sparkles' car.........I have that low a regard for the broadcast booth (not being a pessemistic indy car fan, just know how it will be)

Seems to all be coming from the "I hate Danica" camp. Or people like you that whine long after "Sparkle" has left the series. :rolleyes:

Just get over it and discuss the current participants.

Edited by Prost1997T, 09 May 2013 - 10:08.

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:42

No that's a criticism of the commentary, not of Danica.

I'm going with Power to win.

#30 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:06

No that's a criticism of the commentary, not of Danica.

Well the reason I bothered replying is I see it everywhere. It happens underneath nearly every Indycar news article (no matter if it's Yahoo, ESPN etc) about Hinchcliffe winning at Sao Paulo or St Pete, and virtually every forum I come across. It's tedious and pathetic, regardless of what you think about Danica Patrick's ability as a racing driver. Why can't people just celebrate James winning instead of posting 300 angry comments about the person that used to occupy the green car 2 years ago?

I'm going with Power to win.

Not a chance. If it's a Penske driver it'll be Helio. I wouldn't rule out a Ganassi sweep either. Kanaan, Marco, and maybe Sato are all factors.

#31 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:31

Yeah, but no one here is pining after Danica to come back to IndyCar, we're laughing at how that seems to be the racing media's idea of what everyone wants. I set the number of Unnecessary Danica Mentions so high because all mentions of her on the day of the 500 are going to be necessary.

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:15

btw I'd like to commend everyone on having an Indy 500 split and resolving it in record time.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:22

I was worried only 8 of us regulars would be allowed to post  ;)

#34 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:34

I'll just be happy if we get coverage...

#35 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:35

So, first 500 y'all watched?

1995 for me, at the age of 4 years and 1 month.

Posted Image

Sadly I was so young I just cheered for any driver they said was Canadian, but fortunately too young to fully appreciate what happened to Stan Fox on the first lap.

#36 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:36

Yeah, but no one here is pining after Danica to come back to IndyCar, we're laughing at how that seems to be the racing media's idea of what everyone wants.

When did I say that? It suggests a failure to promote our current drivers if casual viewers are still discussing her long after she left. Whether negative or positive. I'm not suggesting she should come back, entirely her decision. Although it may be an upgrade from a certain few that languish around the back of the pack...

#37 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:36

Actually looking forward to the 500 for the first time in years, I've got a feeling Marco could be in the hunt for this one.

#38 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:38

It's advertised as the 97th, but I think it should be referred to as the 96th.

So there.

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:41

Rookies like Paul Tracy and Lyn St James(they had a bit in the pre-race of St James driving a 'simulator' but it was probably that Payprus Indy 500 game. Which was excellent btw)

This balls-out ad of awesome

Roberto Guerrero spinning out from pole on the pace laps and endless replays of such. Which meant an 11 year old me, having already watched an hour of pre-race is thinking "jesus when are we ever going to go fast".

At the start the Newman-Haas cars of Andretti and err Andretti sweep around Cheever into turn 1 http://www.youtube.c...SbUJLPg#t=2586s

Incident after incident in the race, which if you're 11 you enjoy.

Closest ever finish.

Advertisement

#40 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:48

First I knew of Indy was the 1988 Papyrus game. Played ICR2 as well.

#41 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:55

Autosport article about Lazier's entry in the 500 now has the entry list at 34 cars with one TBA driver. Bets on who ends up disappointed next Sunday?

#42 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:58

Autosport article about Lazier's entry in the 500 now has the entry list at 34 cars with one TBA driver. Bets on who ends up disappointed next Sunday?

Assuming 36 appear for Bump Day: Dragon #2, Dale Coyne #2 and 3.

Edited by Prost1997T, 09 May 2013 - 12:58.

#43 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:58

I wonder if Kurtis Busch will make a run in Carpenter's second car, the #40

#44 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:00

I would think it depends on how he does in the test runs and ROP.

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:01

It's advertised as the 97th, but I think it should be referred to as the 96th.

So there.

:confused:

#46 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:01

Unlikely, he had a go at both Nascar and Indycar officials to make them change the schedules in the next few years to make the double-duty easier to do.

#47 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,596 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:30

:confused:

103rd year, minus 1916-18 and 1942-45 leaves this as the 96th.

I strongly suspect it's because they count 1916, and IMO they shouldn't. Fair enough for 1926, 1950 etc etc because at least they were intended to be 500 milers.

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:37

Unlikely, he had a go at both Nascar and Indycar officials to make them change the schedules in the next few years to make the double-duty easier to do.

He can still do both, and I doubt he's testing an Indycar at Indy just for the hell of it. There's a car without a driver and a driver without a car.

#49 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:02

He can still do both, and I doubt he's testing an Indycar at Indy just for the hell of it. There's a car without a driver and a driver without a car.

And meanwhile, Andretti Autosport are tweeting about Kurt's run as if he is actually officially going through ROP...

#50 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:05

103rd year, minus 1916-18 and 1942-45 leaves this as the 96th.

I strongly suspect it's because they count 1916, and IMO they shouldn't. Fair enough for 1926, 1950 etc etc because at least they were intended to be 500 milers.

I kind of see your point, but if you're going to be that pedantic then you shouldn't count 1919 either  ;) .