Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

97th Indianapolis 500 go-around (Merged - Officially!)

• Please log in to reply
884 replies to this topic

Poll: Story of the month (90 member(s) have cast votes)

What will it be?

1. Four times? (5 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. New winner (33 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. Power ends his losing streak (9 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. Satooooooo (43 votes [47.78%])

Percentage of vote: 47.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:09

And meanwhile, Andretti Autosport are tweeting about Kurt's run as if he is actually officially going through ROP...

Well either he is or he isn't, the track will announce it at the end of the day if he took the test and passed.

Advertisement

#52 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:43

No need for the official tag.

Blasphemy.

First oval of the season, I'm going to say the first time the Ganassi cars get a sniff at the front.

#53 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,957 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:57

Congrats to Red17 and Risil for the thread. Well, I haven't watched the 500 since the early naught-ies so the 26th is gonna one awesome racing night for this dude. Many beers, shots, rom and scotch will be had watching Monaco and Indy. Maybe a poker or two.

Having watched only the highlights for the past three years, how long is the race gonna be?

#54 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:00

Congrats to Red17 and Risil for the thread. Well, I haven't watched the 500 since the early naught-ies so the 26th is gonna one awesome racing night for this dude. Many beers, shots, rom and scotch will be had watching Monaco and Indy. Maybe a poker or two.

Having watched only the highlights for the past three years, how long is the race gonna be?

A REALLY clean race (few SCs and strong pace from the leaders) would tend to go around the 2h45m-2h50m mark, more often than not cautions push the race beyond 3 hours, and an incident-strewn race might probably even go towards 3h30m. All of this, of course, if there's no rain delay in the middle of the event.

EDIT: Average speed record for the 500 is still Arie Luyendyk's effort from 1990, 185.981 mph which means a race time of 2:41:18.408.

#55 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,048 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:05

What is Kurt's open wheel experience? I guess he did sprint cars and dirt track shit on the way to Nascar?

#56 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:09

Blasphemy.

First oval of the season, I'm going to say the first time the Ganassi cars get a sniff at the front.

Did you miss the pole and laps led at Long Beach? :p Ganassi's early 2013 is lots better than their 2012.

#57 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,957 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:12

A REALLY clean race (few SCs and strong pace from the leaders) would tend to go around the 2h45m-2h50m mark, more often than not cautions push the race beyond 3 hours, and an incident-strewn race might probably even go towards 3h30m. All of this, of course, if there's no rain delay in the middle of the event.

EDIT: Average speed record for the 500 is still Arie Luyendyk's effort from 1990, 185.981 mph which means a race time of 2:41:18.408.

Nice, thanks mate. I hope there won't be any rain delay, but that won't be too much of a problem.

And for the win? I'm guessing Satoooo, Hunter-Reay, Dario or TK. Those dudes with maybe Helio and Dixon are the safest bets, surely. Although it would be a wet dream if Power wins it. Or ... Hinch? I can dream, can't I?

#58 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:29

What is Kurt's open wheel experience? I guess he did sprint cars and dirt track shit on the way to Nascar?

Kurt has gone through the phases and looks to be quick. But according to some reports I saw he is ineligible for running the 500 as this is his ROP.

And Kurt has no experience with open wheel cars unless you call Legends/Dwarf cars open wheel. Comes across as an open wheel fan as, at least according to wikipedia, he proposed to his wife at the Hungarian GP in '05.

#59 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 15:58

If you pass ROP you're not ineligible.

Advertisement

#60 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:09

Someone asked when our first 500 was. 2004 for me. I only started watching "Indycar" in mid-1996. de Ferran winning in Cleveland was the first race I watched in fact. I only had access to CART for many years. The first IRL race I saw was Texas-2 2002, and in 2003 I saw a few odd races including Pikes Peak, Gateway and the final Texas race again. It was only in 2004 that I finally got to watch a 500 along with a mostly full season.

#61 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 966 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:11

On the formation lap, just as Power's car reaches 88mph a random lightning strike will overload his Push To Pass, creating a virtual Flux Capacitor, instantly sending him back to 1969, where he will distract Mario Andretti and cause him to brush the wall coming out of turn 4 and lose the Indy 500.

#62 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,104 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:14

If you pass ROP you're not ineligible.

I read a tweet wrong.

Plus, here's a video.

http://www.indystar....-off-fast-start

#63 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,372 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:18

On the formation lap, just as Power's car reaches 88mph a random lightning strike will overload his Push To Pass, creating a virtual Flux Capacitor, instantly sending him back to 1969, where he will distract Mario Andretti and cause him to brush the wall coming out of turn 4 and lose the Indy 500.

Awesome. :lol: :up:

#64 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,523 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:04

Indycar should make a Clue-like game about Power :
" Corner 3 - Franchitti - botched overtaking attempt"

#65 Red17

Red17

• 3,388 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:00

And who says Power will even qualify?

#66 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 966 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:03

And who says Power will even qualify?

Because not qualifying lacks the necessary degree of anticlimax.

#67 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:08

Power will win on the ovals this year. Possibly only the ovals.

It feeds a nice "Power loses one mojo and gains another" storyline throughout the season.

He'll challenge for the title, on the strength of his oval results.

#68 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:13

Will Tony George be in attendance to propose one of his brilliant ideas?

#69 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,980 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:37

My support is behind Taku although I know he's little to no chance but hey, you can't help but like the guy!

...I only wish Dan Wheldon was there to compete :cry:

#70 Red17

Red17

• 3,388 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:38

So, first 500 y'all watched?

The very first one probably happened in the late 80's a coverage down here was... none. All in delayed of course.
I saw most of the races in the early 90's. Lost some interest during the split but since 2002 I have seen all races live.
Oddly enough the 2000 race is the only race I saw twice in the same day but the only memories I have was Monty leading most of the time, pitting and then going so fast the guy in second had no chance.

#71 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:45

I would think it depends on how he does in the test runs and ROP.

According to this article he has officially passed:

http://espn.go.com/r...ndianapolis-500

I honestly don't remember my first Indy, but I remember a race, and my memory is unclear, but I think Mario was 2nd to Danny Sullivan, and Sullivan spun out? He somehow recovered and re-passed Mario to get the victory? Is that an Indy moment? If so, that's my earliest.

I also remember as a kid knowing Gordon Johncock's name and smehow associating it with abstract painter Jackson Pollock. Didn't Johncock have a crash where he pretty badly injured his lower leg(s)?

#72 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,797 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 20:57

I honestly don't remember my first Indy, but I remember a race, and my memory is unclear, but I think Mario was 2nd to Danny Sullivan, and Sullivan spun out? He somehow recovered and re-passed Mario to get the victory? Is that an Indy moment? If so, that's my earliest.

Spin and Win. 1985.

#73 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 966 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:04

Power will win on the ovals this year. Possibly only the ovals.

It feeds a nice "Power loses one mojo and gains another" storyline throughout the season.

He'll challenge for the title, on the strength of his oval results.

I sincerely hope you're right. I genuinely like Power and would love to see him take the championship.

#74 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,939 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:08

First I knew of Indy was the 1988 Papyrus game. Played ICR2 as well.

First I knew of Indy was that the Indycar was a pretty good card in Top Trumps circa 1976  ;)

#75 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,951 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:57

First I knew of Indy was that the Indycar was a pretty good card in Top Trumps circa 1976 ;)

Now I don't feel so old :lol:

#76 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:00

I also remember as a kid knowing Gordon Johncock's name and smehow associating it with abstract painter Jackson Pollock. Didn't Johncock have a crash where he pretty badly injured his lower leg(s)?

Not that I'm aware of.

I once stood next to Gordon Johncock as he exited the drivers lounge at Riverside...and all I have to say is the 5'7" height given for Johncock is generous. Heck of a driver though. Very good in traffic on ovals.

As far as first 500 I watched. That depends, you mean an entire race? ;) I'll plead the 5th until/unless Whitewater replies :cool:

#77 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,109 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:13

First time I was aware of Indy 500 was 81 when I read the newspaper report into Unser's "yellow" line win. Still didn't really understand it (I was 7) till I saw it on tape a few years later. Recalled 1982 because of Smiley's crash - came just after Villeneuve's so the papers ran the usual "racing death traps" stories - and the start crash.

First one I watched highlights of was 1984, Grandstand - a Saturday afternoon sports show - ran highlights the week after the race. Saw my first whole live race in 1995 courtesy of Sky Sports, and since moving to the US have been sure to catch all the action on Pole Day & especially Bump Day.

#78 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,512 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:33

First I knew of Indy was the 1988 Papyrus game. Played ICR2 as well.

Of course I read about the Indy 500 already in the sixties - the reports in the Dutch newspapers or magazines always had some 'warning - hardcore stuff' aura about them because of the usual crashes and fatalities. In my memory, even motorsport oriented magazines showed a feeling like "maybe this is the last time before the Indy 500 meets the same fate as the Mille Miglia" - but that may be just my imagination.

Still, the main storyline those days was "Europe beating the USA on their own hallowed ground", very much stressing an image of nimble, smart European mammals beating the American dinosaurs - not giving any reference to existing contemporary US inventiveness BTW.

I think the first time I saw the Indy 500 live more or less completely must have been 1989 or so - the start of the 'Luyendijk era' for Dutch viewers.

Edited by scheivlak, 09 May 2013 - 22:34.

#79 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,756 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 23:50

Uhm, despite having watched 90% of the IndyCar races since the merger, I still haven't watched a single Indy 500!

Advertisement

#80 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 00:08

I'm pumped for it already

#81 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,312 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:13

Not that I'm aware of.

I once stood next to Gordon Johncock as he exited the drivers lounge at Riverside...and all I have to say is the 5'7" height given for Johncock is generous. Heck of a driver though. Very good in traffic on ovals.

As far as first 500 I watched. That depends, you mean an entire race?;) I'll plead the 5th until/unless Whitewater replies :cool:

heh
I'm fairly sure that Jim and I were *listening* to the races on the radio, long before they were broadcast on TV.
1964 for me, which was a bummer. Dad had it on the radio in the garage because he was pulling for Dave MacDonald. At one point in Indy 500 history there was a very strong west coast presence in the race, Dave MacDonald was at the wheel of a Mickey Thompson entry, after a pretty good start in his career driving sportscars, in fact he won in all models of the Cobras in their first wins and was the first guy to drive a Corvette in earnest as a test driver for GM. Unfortunately he died in the second lap schmoozle along with Eddie Sachs. At eight years old, it was the first time I saw my dad cry.
Racing is a harsh business, particularly back then. But I've had the racing bug since, and I've also seen some very black days in the racing business.
It ain't baseball.

EDIT: My pick, any Penske car. Dude could careless if he ever wins any races but this one.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 10 May 2013 - 01:16.

#82 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 776 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:47

heh
I'm fairly sure that Jim and I were *listening* to the races on the radio, long before they were broadcast on TV.
1964 for me, which was a bummer. Dad had it on the radio in the garage because he was pulling for Dave MacDonald. At one point in Indy 500 history there was a very strong west coast presence in the race, Dave MacDonald was at the wheel of a Mickey Thompson entry, after a pretty good start in his career driving sportscars, in fact he won in all models of the Cobras in their first wins and was the first guy to drive a Corvette in earnest as a test driver for GM. Unfortunately he died in the second lap schmoozle along with Eddie Sachs. At eight years old, it was the first time I saw my dad cry.
Racing is a harsh business, particularly back then. But I've had the racing bug since, and I've also seen some very black days in the racing business.
It ain't baseball.

EDIT: My pick, any Penske car. Dude could careless if he ever wins any races but this one.

How about Ryan Briscoe in a Ganassi car winning???

I remember listening to racing on the radio too (Petty's 1st win in 1964 at daytona i do remember) but for Indy 500 it had to be around 1966 and that big pile up on front straight. .

Alos about 1970 the local library got the Jack Fox illustraited Indy 500 book and after seeing all the cars that had run in the early year it really me more interested in the race.

BTW as a sidenote did anyone here ever have a local radio station that carreid race reports from the 24 hours of Lemans race as the race was run late at night? We had a local station that did it about 1967 and 1968 but not afterwards.

Edited by Lemnpiper, 10 May 2013 - 02:48.

#83 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,471 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:59

First one I believe is in 1988 but I remember 1989 more. Kevin Cogan had huge crash in the early laps. Emerson Fittipaldi and Al Unser Jr dueling to the finish with both cars touching sending Lil Al to the wall and Emerson winning his first one

#84 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:00

I remember my first one like it was 2 weeks from now

#85 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,312 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:49

First one I believe is in 1988 but I remember 1989 more. Kevin Cogan had huge crash in the early laps. Emerson Fittipaldi and Al Unser Jr dueling to the finish with both cars touching sending Lil Al to the wall and Emerson winning his first one

Probably in the top 10, that one.

#86 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,951 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 14:47

How about Ryan Briscoe in a Ganassi car winning???

Briscoe trips over himself too much to pull that off. :lol:

#87 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:45

btw I'd like to commend everyone on having an Indy 500 split and resolving it in record time.

I was worried only 8 of us regulars would be allowed to post ;)

These are freaking brilliant! :lol: :up:

#88 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,048 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:08

Our old pal Jp seems unable to post but he tells me the first 500 he saw was in 1968 on closed-circuit TV.

#89 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,048 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:13

heh
It ain't baseball.

That's quite something that you managed to stick with racing if that was your first (or one of your first) introductions to it. The 500 has seen some dark times and that was probably the darkest of them all. Interesting thread on some of the cars in that race can be found here.

I remember my first one like it was 2 weeks from now

This year's 500 is going to have to do a lot to top the last couple years. Sato divebombing on Franchitti last year and Wheldon passing Hildebrand's wrecked car 200 feet before the finish the year before.

Sato vs. Dario (skip to 1:48):

Wheldon vs. Hildebrand:

Edited by Andrew Hope, 10 May 2013 - 16:18.

#90 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:34

What's this you say about JP not being able to post?

#91 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,372 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:42

What's this you say about JP not being able to post?

Yeah, that just about ruins the whole thread for me. :lol:

#92 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,048 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:45

I don't know anything about that..

He's linked me to this thread regarding memories of the first 100 years of the 500.

Feel free to speculate on where he is and what he might be up to.

#93 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:55

Face down in a hotel room in Des Moines. The Taylor Swift tour is hell.

#94 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,312 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:20

Face down in a hotel room in Des Moines. The Taylor Swift tour is hell.

TS eh, I thought he was a Belieber boy...
:lol:

#95 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:23

Bieber is down in South Africa making liberal use of their lowered drinking age. I can actually see JP part of that train.

#96 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 17:46

What's this you say about

Spoiler
not being able to post?

fixed

Edited by Deluxx, 10 May 2013 - 18:27.

#97 Red17

Red17

• 3,388 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 21:50

So, what are everyone's favourite indy racer that has not won the 500?
I have a soft spot for the Mallard. For some reason the Lotus 56 get's a lot of coverage despite breaking down.

#98 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,312 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:03

So, what are everyone's favourite indy racer that has not won the 500?
I have a soft spot for the Mallard. For some reason the Lotus 56 get's a lot of coverage despite breaking down.

Any of the turbine cars.
Oh, and Paul Tracy was robbed....
:lol:

#99 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,281 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 22:41

Yes well...Ahem.
Check,Test 1-2.

Been some torrid times here at NSC.
Posted Image

The battle for supremacy with that golfing guy,
Posted Image

Issues with the local bank account....
Posted Image

Trying to keep huge, dangerous objects out of a certain famous persons sticky little fingers.
Posted Image

Just another day at the office here.. Nothing out of the ordinary

But all has been calmed now and the Club is back on stream for another exciting round of street fighting.
Posted Image
Can I get a WooHoo from the congregation

Anyway...

Tomorrow (Saturday) NSC starts it's Live and Exclusive deal with Crackpipe Associates and will be showing ALL practice sessions starting from Noon EST (5pm Nigerian time)

Jp

Advertisement

#100 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,300 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 23:21

btw since we've moved the 'live' Indycar conversation to here, there is now video from overhead of Sato v Newgarden and Sato v Hinchcliffe in Brazil

http://www.youtube.c...EuWAiywA#t=106s

If some of those moves aren't blocking, I want you to be my lawyer.