Would you still buy Pirelli tyres?

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:32

Ok then, here's a thought...

Would you still buy Pirelli tyres for your road car?

Personally I wouldn't. I wouldn't buy any because I think they're runing the sport I love. I don't mind a bit of tyre degredation - all motorsport series have this - but having tyres that force drivers to drive around 4, 5, 6 or 7 seconds off the pace for long periods of time even when the tyres are only a few laps old or less in some cases is IMHO nonsense. Worse when they delaminate and are unsafe.

So Paul Hembrey. You can keep your crappy tyres, I ain't never buying another Pirelli. When you start making tyres that allow proper racing I'll start buying your tyres again. I know you've been asked to do it, I know you think you're doing the right thing but think again. Your F1 tyres are crap and runing the sport I love so you can **** off!

I don't know how to do a poll. Perhaps one of the Mods could kindly include a simple vote, 'more likely' or 'less likely' to the question "Are you more likely or less likely to buy Pirelli tyres for your road car based on what you are now seeing in F1?".

Guess you know where I stand on this one!

Advertisement

#2 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:34

Racing tyres has nothing to do with road tyres so why not?:ss

#3 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:38

Ok then, here's a thought...

Would you still buy Pirelli tyres for your road car?

Personally I wouldn't. I wouldn't buy any because I think they're runing the sport I love. I don't mind a bit of tyre degredation - all motorsport series have this - but having tyres that force drivers to drive around 4, 5, 6 or 7 seconds off the pace for long periods of time even when the tyres are only a few laps old or less in some cases is IMHO nonsense. Worse when they delaminate and are unsafe.

So Paul Hembrey. You can keep your crappy tyres, I ain't never buying another Pirelli. When you start making tyres that allow proper racing I'll start buying your tyres again. I know you've been asked to do it, I know you think you're doing the right thing but think again. Your F1 tyres are crap and runing the sport I love so you can **** off!

I don't know how to do a poll. Perhaps one of the Mods could kindly include a simple vote, 'more likely' or 'less likely' to the question "Are you more likely or less likely to buy Pirelli tyres for your road car based on what you are now seeing in F1?".

Guess you know where I stand on this one!

I on the other hand would research which tyres are best for my car and make a purchase from this research. Regardless of whether or not a tyre team are 'ruining' (which I don't think they are) a sport, i would always purchase the best. In my case I've had continental conti sports on my car when i bought it new (which were nice on instant grip but wore relatively quickly) Pirelli P-zero, which were a weird sensation to drive on, it felt like the tyres 'grip' or turn-in come in the last minute (but provided much more monster grip and I had the most confidence on cornering with these) and more recently Hankook tyres (which have only done a few thousand miles.) all in all I like the Pirellis the most.

So to answer your question sexy beast style, No. No no no no no no no no no no.

Edited by lambylamby, 12 May 2013 - 18:42.

#4 d246

d246

• 1,050 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:39

Wouldn't you be better referring to Car review media and basing your choice on the durability; performance in the wet; cost etc? Or are you keen to somehow shoe-horn on an F1 tyre which is designed to an FIA specification?

#5 toofast

toofast

• 512 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:39

It's not about the tyres but the company.

#6 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:40

I never went to a circuit with my road car, so I don´t ever go NOWHERE near to the grip limit of a tyre.

So if they´re not noisy, they´re cheap, they´re fuel eficient, and have a decent level of grip for the emergency situations you might find for whatever reason, I´d buy them.

Now, if someone is stupid enough to think F1 tyres have anything to do with whatever you can buy, now that´s something. :lol:

#7 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:41

This.

#8 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:42

Still pirelli motorsport group has nothing to do with pirelli road tyre group instead of a name.

#9 sixtenths

sixtenths

• 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:43

The company have been given a brief. A made to order spec.

#10 techspeed

techspeed

• 373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:44

Yes I would buy Pirellis, because I'm not stupid enough to think the tyres on my Mondeo are the same as on F1 cars.

#11 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:45

Yes I would buy Pirellis, because I'm not stupid enough to think the tyres on my Mondeo are the same as on F1 cars.

What he said.

#12 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Yeah and after Kimi's engine failures in 2005 I decided not to buy a Mercedes C200 CDI either :drunk:

#13 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

No way. That Bridgestone-shod minivan next to me would have a huge advantage over a race distance.

#14 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 563 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:47

Yeah and after Kimi's engine failures in 2005 I decided not to buy a Mercedes C200 CDI either :drunk:

Yes and Ferrari only came second last year, so I didn't buy one ;)

#15 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:50

For me it's about wanting to buy a product from a company that I think is spoiling a sport I love. Or to be more precise, not wanting to buy a product from a company that is spoiling the sport I love.

#16 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,494 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:50

Yes and Ferrari only came second last year, so I didn't buy one ;)

Had a can of Red Bull instead? :)

#17 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:51

I thought Ferraris were no good after that so I bought a Renault Laguna diesel instead.

#18 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:52

How silly will this get?

Pirelli is doing as asked by FIA -- folks ought to have some semblance of reality based reasoning before starting this kind of threads.

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:53

For me it's about wanting to buy a product from a company that I think is spoiling a sport I love. Or to be more precise, not wanting to buy a product from a company that is spoiling the sport I love.

Pirelli were asked to make tires like this.

"Well not exactly like this."

Blah blah blah, same exact complaints in the official whining thread.

Advertisement

#20 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:57

I just wouldn't buy their tyres because I think they're runining the racing. I know they were asked to make tyres like this and that's part of the problem I guess. I seriously doubt that Pirelli get good publicity from F1. The pendulum hs just swung too far that's all, way too far IMO.

#21 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 18:57

No I wouldn't, but that's because I tend to buy whatever obscure Chinese brand which name I can't pronounce costs the less.

#22 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:09

"Personally I wouldn't. I wouldn't buy any because I think they're runing the sport I love."

But then can you buy Michelin or Bridgstone because they left F1 ? No you cannot. Or Goodyear too.

So what tyre do you buy on your road car?

Yokohama of course !

Andy

#23 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 717 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:11

Replaced my tyres a few weeks back - went for Goodyear :-)

Seriously though, what brand would agree to make a product for F1 which is to the detriment to their brand image? When people want road tyres they want dependable, long lasting tyres with lots of grip. We don't necessarily know which of the brands are the best as we can't try them before buying them so you go for ones we trust.

When I see Pirelli tyres ripping themselves to shreds in F1, I can't think why they agreed to go down that route, there's ways to spice up the action without damaging your brand.

#24 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:13

Seriously though, what brand would agree to make a product for F1 which is to the detriment to their brand image? When people want road tyres they want dependable, long lasting tyres with lots of grip. We don't necessarily know which of the brands are the best as we can't try them before buying them so you go for ones we trust.

When I see Pirelli tyres ripping themselves to shreds in F1, I can't think why they agreed to go down that route, there's ways to spice up the action without damaging your brand.

Market research conducted by the GFK Institute at the end of 2012 highlighted the impact that its presence in FORMULA 1 has had on Pirelli Brand Equity. Indeed, the study shows that Pirelli’s performance in the eyes of Grand Prix™ followers is continually improving in terms of both brand KPIs and perceived image, compared to those who do not follow FORMULA 1. For example Pirelli Brand Consideration doubles amongst Grand Prix™ followers, whilst attributes such as technology, innovation, quality and propensity to buy are between 30 and 50% higher amongst racing fans.

http://www.pirelli.c...emium-strategy/

#25 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:16

No, because I drive a Mercedes.

But then, its a road car, nothing to do with F1 so yes, I would buy Pirellis if I was in the market for new tyres and they offered the best value.

#26 ferenc_k

ferenc_k

• 300 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:18

Both my summer and winter tyres are Pirelli. The winter tyres are some 5 years old and were running very well this winter. My next tyres if I keep the present car, will be Pirelli again.

#27 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:20

No I wouldn't, but that's because I tend to buy whatever obscure Chinese brand which name I can't pronounce costs the less.

F1 probably running on those tyre next year!

#28 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:21

Both my summer and winter tyres are Pirelli. The winter tyres are some 5 years old and were running very well this winter. My next tyres if I keep the present car, will be Pirelli again.

Continental do probably the best all round tyres for winter and summer and eco and OEM and yet they are pretty low key in motorsports.

I wonder how they do that ?

:cool:

Edited by Andy35, 12 May 2013 - 19:22.

#29 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:22

Ah yesy - the ultra reliable Goodyears that exploded on Nigel's Williams :rotfl:

#30 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

I say it's time to bring in Hankook. Less chance of corruption. And couldn't really do worse, could they?

#31 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

You can't be serious about this thread. If you are, I pity you.

#32 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:23

Guess you drive a Ferrari then?

#33 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:28

Pirelli isn't making these tyres worthless because that's the best they can do, they're making them worthless because the teams want them to. Pirelli makes all kinds of great tyres for other racing series and obviously for road cars as well.

The one thing you could perhaps hold against Pirelli is that they agreed to this situation in the first place whereas other manufacturers refused to do so.

#34 Bartonz20let

Bartonz20let

• 1,860 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:28

"Personally I wouldn't. I wouldn't buy any because I think they're runing the sport I love."

But then can you buy Michelin or Bridgstone because they left F1 ? No you cannot. Or Goodyear too.

So what tyre do you buy on your road car?

Yokohama of course !

Andy

I was a serial Yokohama Prada Spec 2 user, my god those tyres are like jekyll and hyde in wet and dry. On falken 452's now and much happier.

Edited by Bartonz20let, 12 May 2013 - 19:29.

#35 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,651 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:29

I just wouldn't buy their tyres because I think they're runining the racing. I know they were asked to make tyres like this and that's part of the problem I guess. I seriously doubt that Pirelli get good publicity from F1. The pendulum hs just swung too far that's all, way too far IMO.

So you refuse to buy a product from a company that you acknowledge is responsive to the demands of the customer. Interesting.

#36 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:30

Pirelli were asked to make tires like this.

"Well not exactly like this."

Blah blah blah, same exact complaints in the official whining thread.

I think most people would agree that tires are a part of cars, that in principle if everyone has the same tires then there shouldn't be any bitching, etc. That's all well and good in principle -- car racing is always about being on the edge, and part of being on the edge and not going past it is respecting the limits of the tires.

But here we have tires that are apparently of poor quality and/or that favor one team over all others, for whatever reason. That is a different matter. That destroys racing. When one team seems to have a special relationship with the tires or the company that makes the tires, it destroys all the efforts of all the other teams. Also, when the tires have poor quality and are unpredictable, it also turns everything into a lottery. Both of these two problems are in effect right now. One team is going to be carried to a free championship. Meanwhile, everything else is a lottery. There's too much money and effort put into the engineering of these cars to have this kind of thing going on.

We all saw how speechless everyone except Ferrari were today. They had nothing to say. Just gutted.

Edited by 2ms, 12 May 2013 - 19:33.

#37 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:33

So you refuse to buy a product from a company that you acknowledge is responsive to the demands of the customer. Interesting.

I choose not to buy a product from a company that I think is runing F1 to an extent. I don't really care whether they're doing what their customer wants, I care about whether what they are doing is to the benefit or the detriment of my enjoyment of the sport.

#38 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:34

When one team seems to have a special relationship with the tires or the company that makes the tires, it destroys all the efforts of all the other teams.

I dont think Lotus and Pirelli are in cahoots.

#39 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:42

I choose not to buy a product from a company that I think is runing F1 to an extent. I don't really care whether they're doing what their customer wants, I care about whether what they are doing is to the benefit or the detriment of my enjoyment of the sport.

So what tyres do you use? No other tyre manufacturer is doing anything to benefit F1 right now.

Advertisement

#40 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:42

It is not about whether I buy Pirelli or not, but it is about which tyre company I would choose from a list of options.

It is also not about F1 tyre relevance to road car tyre. The thing is if I knew nothing about road tyres and didn't know, which ones are the best for my car, then obviously I go by pure sympathy. And if you are an F1 fan, your get your sympathies from that partly. Many companies I associate with motorsports. And based on that subjective sympathy I have to tell you I think there are companies I would prefer to Pirelli. Unless a friend told me that hey I have Pirelli tyres on my car, they are awesome. That could convince me otherwise.:)

#41 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:46

I dont think Lotus and Pirelli are in cahoots.

Nice try. A for effort. :lol:

#42 nada12

nada12

• 460 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:51

This forum really needed another thread dedicated to whining about Pirelli.

#43 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:51

Does anyone know what kind of mechanisms are in place in F1 to prevent teams from having relationships with the tire manufacturer? I'm sure Ferrari would never cheat. And also that the FIA would be sure to make it impossible for the teams to do so. Just would like to knowing what exactly the mechanisms are that prevent it.

#44 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:52

No, I wouldn't.

#45 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:56

I have no idea what Pirelli road tires have to do with Formula 1 tires spec by the FIA to las less than 20 laps.

You are barking at the wrong tree.

#46 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 19:57

I dont support Ferrari so no!

#47 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 20:00

Does anyone know what kind of mechanisms are in place in F1 to prevent teams from having relationships with the tire manufacturer? I'm sure Ferrari would never cheat. And also that the FIA would be sure to make it impossible for the teams to do so. Just would like to knowing what exactly the mechanisms are that prevent it.

In other words:

"How much room do I have to accuse Ferrari of possibly cheating?"

#48 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 20:04

In other words:

"How much room do I have to accuse Ferrari of possibly cheating?"

Why do you engage with him? Just ignore the drivel...

#49 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 20:06

First of all Pirelli is just following orders. They surely don't decide about the tyres all by themselves.

Personally I would never let my emotions decide what tyres I'm going to buy for my car. I mean we are talking about safety. What happens in F1 is totally irrelevant to that. I pick my tyres by checking reviews and the manufacturer doesn't really matter.

#50 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 20:07

So what tyres do you use? No other tyre manufacturer is doing anything to benefit F1 right now.

It's not about other tyres. My point is I wouldn't buy Pirelli tyres because they are ruining F1. Any other tyre company is irrelevant