Lotus E21 (Part 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4004 replies to this topic

#3201 Menace

Menace

• 11,998 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:17

Well done Kimi!

Grosjean with an eventful race, would have challenged for victory for sure without the penalty and all the contact.

Advertisement

#3202 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 640 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:17

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Grosjean gets 20-second penalty for collision with Jenson Button, but doesn't change his race result.

#3203 kimister

kimister

• 835 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:55

I've missed the qualifying,so when I first saw Kimi down to six place, I was quite surprised.However, as been always, Kimi showed his brilliance during race and made two pit stops work and I have to say his defense against Seb was fun :up: Grosjean also drove quite good ,except his move on Button. He was a bit unlucky today, but he improved his race craft a bit comparison to last year.
Kimi was great also in qualifying this year up to this week, so I wonder what was the problem yesterday, related with set up or something else? or do you think new tyre structure can cause some trouble for him and Lotus to heat them for next races? :confused:

#3204 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 445 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:15

Really looking forward to Spa, my favourite track of the year. Last year Lotus wasn't very strong there, but Kimi always seems to have something extra at Spa. They must've optimized their PDRS to have a chance there, and with the colder weather and the conservative tyre choice the circumstances aren't particularly promising. Waiting nearly a month is gonna be hard :|

#3205 Radion

Radion

• 497 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:20

Well, last year at spa they were able to get on the podium becauso gro caused an incident resulting in dnfs for alonso and hamilton. I'm pretty sure kimi would not have been able to secure 3rd, had they not been out of the race.

Anyway, this year with the PDRS and the overall package, they seem to be able to have a fair fight. At least I hope so, want kimi to win at spa for the fifth time! How awesome would that be!

#3206 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,173 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:22

I've missed the qualifying,so when I first saw Kimi down to six place, I was quite surprised.However, as been always, Kimi showed his brilliance during race and made two pit stops work and I have to say his defense against Seb was fun :up: Grosjean also drove quite good ,except his move on Button. He was a bit unlucky today, but he improved his race craft a bit comparison to last year.
Kimi was great also in qualifying this year up to this week, so I wonder what was the problem yesterday, related with set up or something else? or do you think new tyre structure can cause some trouble for him and Lotus to heat them for next races? :confused:

New front tyres are or were the issue for Kimi at hungary. Kimi said this morning that tyres are too hard for him and finding setups to work with them was difficult and they never got it work like they wanted, however they made big step forward during quali because before they did fear that even q3 would be out of the reach. Anyway tyres for next races are even harder+ possible cooler temperatures might be bad thing for Kimi but lets hope not.

#3207 kimister

kimister

• 835 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:29

^^^^ They got lost trying to find the set-up for the new tyres. Actually, the set-up was so bad in FP3 that we could see his rallying skills because the car would take the last corner sideways. They did a very good job between FP3 and Qualifying and went from losing over a second a lap to losing a just few tenths.
The car was more or less okay today, so I would say they know more or less how to solve the problem

I see, thanks :up: it should be very frustrating spending most of week by trying to understand new tyres and couldn't find the right set up, at least for qualiying :drunk: I hope team can sort it out for next races :)

#3208 kimister

kimister

• 835 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:53

New front tyres are or were the issue for Kimi at hungary. Kimi said this morning that tyres are too hard for him and finding setups to work with them was difficult and they never got it work like they wanted, however they made big step forward during quali because before they did fear that even q3 would be out of the reach. Anyway tyres for next races are even harder+ possible cooler temperatures might be bad thing for Kimi but lets hope not.

Hmmmm...it's a bit depressing. Anyway, let's think positive ;)

#3209 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 23:13

I see, thanks :up: it should be very frustrating spending most of week by trying to understand new tyres and couldn't find the right set up, at least for qualiying :drunk: I hope team can sort it out for next races :)

We did have the new tyre situation. But every track is different. The Hungary circuit is not a very abrasive track. Since the tyres are new you are going need a new setup. Even if the tyres are harder then before, in theory all that Kimi needs is the right setup to make them work.

I dont understand people going on so much about Kimi's qualifying. You are not always going to get it perfectly right at every single race. You will get beaten by your teammate at times. It happens, Kimi and his side of the garage just wasn't able to find the right setup, despite this Kimi wasn't that far off. Kimi has been doing a good in qualifying so far this season, from the top drivers it is only Vettel who has done better.

Not that it matter so much, you get points in the races. Lotus could properly have scored a double podium today.

I dont think Kimi would have a problem at Spa. The Spa lap is very long, and that helps. The only way it would be problem is if it started to rain (which is always possible at Spa). I would be more concerned with Lotus's straight line speed and power at Spa. Last year Lotus was pretty dreadful at Spa and Monza.

#3210 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,451 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:45

I'm so tired of Kimi finishing second to Hamilton. Ugh have to work on quali. I think of every race at hungary where he finished 2nd to Hamilton. If he could qualify better he would have won all except 09. Anyways Mercedes looks to be in a tie with red bull for out right speed. Lotus and limo must improve qualification to take advantage of longer stints. Anyways harsh for Romain today. Its to bad. Hope spa is better but I don't think it will be.

Edited by Lazy Prodigy, 31 July 2013 - 05:20.

#3211 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,602 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:18

Many posts of bad tempered arguments about everything but the car deleted. There is a whole separate thread to debate the team mate battle in - keep this one for the E21.

#3212 search

search

• 177 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:35

Really looking forward to Spa, my favourite track of the year. Last year Lotus wasn't very strong there

also both Sauber, who had a race winning car that weekend - or at least podium material

#3213 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 553 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:02

Many posts of bad tempered arguments about everything but the car deleted. There is a whole separate thread to debate the team mate battle in - keep this one for the E21.

Great job, thanks :up:

#3214 eREr

eREr

• 462 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:01

Have you noticed or seen this? It is the result of Massa/Rosberg affair in T5 in the first lap:
Posted Image

It was a close one...

#3215 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:10

Have you noticed or seen this? It is the result of Massa/Rosberg affair in T5 in the first lap:
Posted Image

It was a close one...

Yes I did saw some photos of it after the race.

#3216 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:21

Even during live race, I felt this was more dangerous than the Silverstone incident with the tyre debris. But I would say a helmet is a much stronger structure than the appended bodywork.

#3217 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,218 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:28

Posted Image

It was a close one...

That right tyre looks in horrible shape!!

#3218 Radion

Radion

• 497 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:49

It's most probably just pick up...

#3219 KimiSolberg

KimiSolberg

• 69 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:34

Thanks. Please also delete stuff about results from the race, driver reactions and fans being happy/sad. That has nothing directly to do about the car.

Advertisement

#3220 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 23:19

You're quite right. Lotus E21 can't get the tires (especially fronts) in the window for quali and the harder the compound the tougher it gets for them to get good results on saturday. That is the reason Eric was not happy when Pirelli first decided to bring its tougher compounds to Hungary.On the other hand one of the main reasons Kimi has qualified better than Grosjean in the first half of this season, has been the different tire structure. Now they've brought back last year's structure, and the first signs aren't too good.
Anyway the odds are in favor of a Mercedes/Red Bull show from now on. Of course, hope is eternal! Boy oh boy! If Lotus can come up with a solution for their qualifying performance AND keep their leadind race pace up until the end of the campaign, the design/technical department will have made some serious reputation for themselves.

Edited by Babak, 02 August 2013 - 23:23.

#3221 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 855 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 19:20

http://www.auto-moto...ne-7520825.html

Only the last point regarding the developtment and the season 2014

You always hear of money problems at Lotus. Is the development having a sleep now?
Permane: We have for the current season not much left in the pipeline.
What was planned has already been developed and will be used in the corresponding race.
Design and wind tunnel already running towards the season 2014.

#3222 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,602 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:49

I have moved the bulk of the posts that deal with the general reports of the Lotus money problems to a new topic here:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=189066

Obviously, it may also affect the development of the car, so by all means discuss what it might mean for the E21 here if you want.
On a personal note, it was sad to read about this and I hope the press reports contains exaggerations and/or Lotus can turn things around. :(

#3223 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,910 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:17

I have moved the bulk of the posts that deal with the general reports of the Lotus money problems to a new topic here:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=189066

Obviously, it may also affect the development of the car, so by all means discuss what it might mean for the E21 here if you want.
On a personal note, it was sad to read about this and I hope the press reports contains exaggerations and/or Lotus can turn things around. :(

:up:

#3224 Radion

Radion

• 497 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:56

I read an article in which permane was interviewed. Interesting part was that there won't be any big updates from now on. Everything (big) they planed to develop and bring to the race track they did.
Not looking so good for the rest of the season compared to the other top teams?! :well:

Man hört immer wieder von Geldproblemen bei Lotus. Schläft die Entwicklung jetzt ein?
Permane: Wir haben für 2013 nicht mehr viel in der Pipeline. Was geplant wurde, ist bereits entwickelt und wird bei den entsprechenden Rennen eingesetzt. Design und Windkanal laufen bereits voll Richtung 2014.

Edited by Radion, 14 August 2013 - 09:56.

#3225 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,852 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:09

I think it will be common even between front runners, with 2014 changes.

#3226 quidam

quidam

• 188 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:55

I read an article in which permane was interviewed. Interesting part was that there won't be any big updates from now on. Everything (big) they planed to develop and bring to the race track they did.
Not looking so good for the rest of the season compared to the other top teams?! :well:

+1 :up:

All are in the details now

#3227 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:03

which means... With exception of Monza, almost all variation of tracks are played out? Carlos Pace is the last one and IMHO this track can make big difference. But the season might be well over there...

#3228 Trust

Trust

• 3,098 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 20:57

When you think of it, it's rational not to bring anything big anymore. There were races where Lotus were lagging 1.5 second per lap to competitors but in the next race they would be the fastest car. Clearly, it's more important to get setup right to switch those tyres on. Spa will be the true test for them. If they have as fast car there as they had in Germany and Hungary we can fight for the championship 'till end.

On the other hand, if competiton goes and destroys us 1 second/lap that just means we didn't find right setup or couldn't switch those tyres on cold track. You surely wouldn't be able to blame Lotus for lack of updates or bad development if it happens like that. They were good this year as any other top team with less resources in that department.

#3229 LoloSoso

LoloSoso

• 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:25

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

spa is coming

#3230 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:45

We got PDRS, fast sweeping corners for the tyres, according to a few sites it will be a dry weekend, plus we got the best Spa pilot driving for us. It will be a good result if everything goes to plan :)

#3231 DrF

DrF

• 1,374 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:01

PDRS... I'll believe it when I see it.

They've wasted countless valuable development hours and funds developing and testing something which is patently and fundamentally not going to work. And if it does ever miraculously work, it will be banned.

#3232 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:04

PDRS... I'll believe it when I see it.

They've wasted countless valuable development hours and funds developing and testing something which is patently and fundamentally not going to work. And if it does ever miraculously work, it will be banned.

It worked around Silverstone, and it will work even better around Spa, I'm 100% sure about that.

#3233 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:11

Extremely long term development renders its short term usage pointless.
No wonder Kimi's given up on this team.

#3234 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,550 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:22

Extremely long term development renders its short term usage pointless.
No wonder Kimi's given up on this team.

I cant recall one comment from him to confirm your statement. Actually I would say, it is the other way around, that he didnt give up, thats why he didnt sign with RBR yet

#3235 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:07

http://www.auto-moto...nd-7612849.html

Lotus will bring his last extensive update this year to Spa next week, and the package is really quite something:

- PDRS (Spa is the track where it's supposed to be the most benificial - up to 0,3 s according to Permane)
- stretched wheelbase (10cm) at the front, supposedly for better airflow towards the rear and mechanical reasons*
- probably revised guide plates at the front of the side pods

*It is rumoured that Lotus has a special wheel suspension at the front that is a bit heavier than other cars systems - more weight at the front means front tyres suffer from graining faster, an observed phenomenon at the E21. Changes to weight distribution are limited to 1%, so this might be the underlying reason for the longer wheelbase.

Good on them, hopefully it works out as planned :up:

Preview quotes http://www.formula1....13/8/14876.html

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus
2012 Qualifying - 4th, 2012 Race - 3rd
“Usually I’ve achieved a good result at the Belgian Grand Prix, but what has happened there before doesn’t help me right now. Of course, it doesn’t cause any harm either and it would be great to win at Spa for a fifth time. Extra points are always good and if you win the race no-one scores more points than you. For me there have only been good memories from Spa and it’s great to go racing there. You can’t get the same kind of a feeling anywhere else. It’s great to race with a modern racing car at a proper circuit which has such a great tradition.

“Spa offers very challenging high-speed corners and you need to get the right set-up for the car. As we've seen so many times this year, a good grid position is extremely important. It will be very decisive at Spa too, even though it is maybe easier to overtake there than at some other tracks. It’s crucial to have a good car aerodynamically to tackle the fast corners and it’s a long lap, so to get the right time you really need to maintain the best rhythm. So much depends on the qualifying result, so we need to find a decent set-up on Friday and Saturday and have a solid qualifying session on Saturday afternoon. I don’t know how it will suit our car this year. Last year we were not very strong there. I think we know the reasons and for sure our car is better this year, but is it good enough to be fighting for a win? We will see on Sunday.

“I bet every driver likes Spa. For me it is the greatest racing circuit in the world. It is my favourite place. I have liked the place since my first ever visit there in 2000 with Formula Renault.”

Romain Grosjean
, Lotus
2012 Qualifying - 9th, 2012 Race - DNF
“What a track; it’s fantastic! It’s a superb rollercoaster of a circuit, then there’s the added bonus that they speak French meaning it’s almost another home race for me after Monaco and Canada. It’s going to be good. If we have the pace we displayed in Budapest at a more normal circuit with better overtaking opportunities - and a bit wider track too - then I think good things could well be possible.

“It should fit our car pretty well. In fact, the second half of the season looks good overall in terms of how the tracks should suit the E21. Hopefully we’ll have everything we need to win races. I’m looking forward to it as it’s a special track and I also won the GP2 Series title there in 2011, so it’ll be good for me to be back there again.”

Alan Permane, Lotus trackside operations director
“Similar to Canada, Spa is a much lower downforce layout than most venues we visit with significantly lower temperatures; usually between 15 and 20 degrees ambient. We will also be using the hard and medium compound tyres which - combined with the cooler climate - have not been our strength I think it’s fair to say. We have, however, been putting in a lot of time and effort to get the harder tyres working better in lower temperatures, and I’m fairly confident we’ll head into this race remaining equally competitive.

“We haven’t made a final decision yet as to whether the [passive double-DRS] Device will be deployed, but we’ve been conducting a lot of simulation work with the concept to help clarify that decision and there’s a good chance we’ll see it make an appearance.

“The advantage we have with Spa being so close geographically is that we can be working on the cars back at Enstone right up until the Tuesday night before the race, and still have sufficient time to get them to the circuit ready for work on Thursday morning. We’ve got several updates coming up - both mechanical and aerodynamic - so we’re confident of making another step forward.”

Edited by Jovanotti, 17 August 2013 - 03:13.

#3236 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:36

- stretched wheelbase (10cm) at the front, supposedly for better airflow towards the rear and mechanical reasons*

*It is rumoured that Lotus has a special wheel suspension at the front that is a bit heavier than other cars systems - more weight at the front means front tyres suffer from graining faster, an observed phenomenon at the E21. Changes to weight distribution are limited to 1%, so this might be the underlying reason for the longer wheelbase.

Good on them, hopefully it works out as planned :up:

Oh, no :rolleyes: Kimi will start complaining about the steering feel again.

#3237 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,294 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:22

;)

Posted Image

#3238 andrea303

andrea303

• 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:13

;)

Posted Image

It is absolutely pointless to speculate the weather in Spa since there's two weeks to go.
Approximately 5 day forecast can be done with pretty good odds but we are talking about Spa which has always potential of rain at different parts of the circuit since it has a diverse topography and the circuit situates in the middle of forest hills.

I agree that this new Tyre structure doesn't help Kimi at all. I'm expecting Romain to get the upper hand in Qualifying now. Lotus should focus all it's energy to qualifying. They know they have a decent package at the race, yet they tend to yada yada about the race simulations and not focus enough on quali. But then again, what the heck would I know about their preparation. It's inside information but that's what it looks like to the outside world.

#3239 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 1,754 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:40

It is absolutely pointless to speculate the weather in Spa since there's two weeks to go.
Approximately 5 day forecast can be done with pretty good odds but we are talking about Spa which has always potential of rain at different parts of the circuit since it has a diverse topography and the circuit situates in the middle of forest hills.

I agree that this new Tyre structure doesn't help Kimi at all. I'm expecting Romain to get the upper hand in Qualifying now. Lotus should focus all it's energy to qualifying. They know they have a decent package at the race, yet they tend to yada yada about the race simulations and not focus enough on quali. But then again, what the heck would I know about their preparation. It's inside information but that's what it looks like to the outside world.

Spa is next weekend.

Advertisement

#3240 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:49

andrea303: The race is next week. We would have done with two FPs by this time next week. They have very little chance to test qualy sim on fresh tyres, on their first flying laps. Qualy has been their constant point emphasis by their own statements throughout the year. Just because the car is innately designed towards race pace does not mean they don't work on qualy extensively during the season. I actually thought they did good progress. For a while Kimi was outqualifying the Ferraris even when Ferrari had good pace - around Monaco, Barcelona time. It is just that the tyres have kept changing and Lotus has constant work to do as a result.

PS: You don't have to quote back a picture.;) It just increases the load on the server when so many people browse the page in general. I think there is even a rule in the forum not to embed pictures directly on the viewing page unless it is absolutely necessary. Just FYI.

Edited by SpaMaster, 17 August 2013 - 07:50.

#3241 Oldie

Oldie

• 83 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:04

Oh, no :rolleyes: Kimi will start complaining about the steering feel again.

If it is off, why shouldn't he? In a sport where differences are counted to 0.001 seconds, where 1 second difference is regarded as a light year, every little detail counts.

IMHO, among the top drivers the race winner is the one who got the setup most right for the weekend. Not necessarily the car+driver combo who might be the fastest on paper. This applies most of the races, not all.

Edited by Oldie, 17 August 2013 - 08:08.

#3242 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,173 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 16:57

New longer wheelbase could be a big factor, it was one of the keys why Ferrari was stronger than McLaren back in 2007&2008 on tracks that had fast corners, hopefully they will use and get PDRS system work properly.

#3243 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,439 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 22:41

Surprising that Lotus brings such a big update, but lets hope it works at Spa. About time that Kimi won again in Spa.. IIRC Lotus hasn't been so hopeless on straight this year as last year, and if the update works for the fast corners, it looks good.

Edited by Mauseri, 17 August 2013 - 22:42.

#3244 alpiner

alpiner

• 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 17:44

There has been a lot of idle chatter about Dan Ricciardo replacing Mark Webber, and Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen swapping drives. This latter story seems to depend on what happens with the Lotus F1 Team as for some time the proprietors have been working to try to get Renault to increase its involvement in the team. This is entirely logical as the French car manufacturer has lost a massive amount of visibility in F1 since it stopped being a team owner, after the embarrassing Singapore Scandal back in 2009. Renault grabbed a parachute and left the team in the hands of Gerard Lopez and Eric Lux. The problem with that move was that despite winning a string of championships with Red Bull Racing, Renault has had very little publicity. The Red Bulls are smothered in Infiniti badging and the average man on the street does not know, nor care, that the winning engines are from Viry-Chatillon. If it is says Infiniti all over the car it is logical to assume that the engines were probably made in Japan.

The result of this is that Renault is now looking for ways to get a better return on its overall investment in F1. Leaving out the smaller teams that use Renault engines, the only logical choice is for Renault to concentrate its involvement on Lotus F1 Team, which has been doing remarkably well, despite endless rumours about the team’s finances. Renault could gain a lot more publicity if it reorganised its spending and bought the Lotus side pods. Raikkonen is waiting to see if that happens, and talking to Ferrari looks to me like part of the negotiating process. But you never know, maybe Alonso is also watching to see if that happens because he is getting bored with Ferraris that are not quite good enough.

http://joesaward.wor...ave-been-gone/?

#3245 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 19:23

The summer break is about to be over and I hope the silly season takes backstage now. There is a championship to be won and we are into the most exciting of tracks. Let's hope Lotus comes out with a mighty punch like they did at the beginning of the season and not lay an egg like after last season's summer break.

On another news, it looks Boullier has said something for the sake of saying today. We all know Lotus won't go cash-tight on the car in order to pay Raikkonen. Raikkonen's main insistence itself is to find financial security for the team. I hope Lotus finds that soon. Without that everything else woud be a moot point.

#3246 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 847 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:09

I've made a blog post with some thoughts on the Lotus F1 financial situation.

http://maharries.wor...-lotus-f1-team/

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by onewingedangel, 20 August 2013 - 20:18.

#3247 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:18

On another news, it looks Boullier has said something for the sake of saying today. We all know Lotus won't go cash-tight on the car in order to pay Raikkonen. Raikkonen's main insistence itself is to find financial security for the team. I hope Lotus finds that soon. Without that everything else woud be a moot point.

I must say I am slightly disappointed by Boullier's pain in the arse comment. It is a silly comment to make. I can understand that he must be a bit frustrated.  But Kimi has already taken a pay cut this season, and he is earning less then the other top drivers. He also scores a lot of points for the team, Boullier certainly does have a habit of saying the wrong this at times. 

#3248 kimster89

kimster89

• 515 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:23

I think its just Boulliers pain here, because he knows he lost Kimi.

Edited by kimster89, 20 August 2013 - 20:24.

#3249 DrF

DrF

• 1,374 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 20:45

It worked around Silverstone, and it will work even better around Spa, I'm 100% sure about that.

Did they use it already?

#3250 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:32

I must say I am slightly disappointed by Boullier's pain in the arse comment. It is a silly comment to make. I can understand that he must be a bit frustrated.  But Kimi has already taken a pay cut this season, and he is earning less then the other top drivers. He also scores a lot of points for the team, Boullier certainly does have a habit of saying the wrong this at times. 

I think its just Boulliers pain here, because he knows he lost Kimi.

I don't think the "pain in the arse" comment should be read like that. If you read the article, he praises Kimi and says they/he want to keep him. That he is a perfect fit for the team. After that he goes on that if the conditions aren't right, i.e. they don't have the money, he doesn't want him because it will be a pain in the arse. I'm fairly sure he simply means that if they don't get their finances in order and thus can't afford him, it is better to go for cheaper driver and put the money in developing the car / keeping the company as financial healthy as possible. If will be a pain in the arse if Kimi requires such a part of their budget that it doesn't allow them to develop a competitive car for their drivers.

"We haven't finished the story with Kimi, so we want to keep going. Kimi is a good figure for the team. Obviously he is a very good driver, and everyone knows how good he is. He's also helping us in terms of awareness to get us into the right place of where we want to be. I think he is a natural fit for the team and the team naturally fits around him. I would like to keep him, to be honest, but I want to keep him with the right conditions. If we can't afford him because of finances, then I don't want to have him because he will be a pain in the arse - and it will difficult to build something on this."

Edited by F.M., 20 August 2013 - 21:33.