Photo

North West 200

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:11

For anyone interested in following live coverage of practice and racing from this years NW200 use the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland/13455884

Hope that works for you!

Advertisement

#2 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:29

Cheers, love watching these nut jobs! Hope everyone stays on.

#3 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:20

For anyone interested in following live coverage of practice and racing from this years NW200 use the link below:

Hope that works for you!

It does, thanks. :up:

#4 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 14:07

saturdays race schedule - Supersport, Superbikes, Supertwins, Superstock, Superbike

this years event will be super racing with super crowds on a super track with super weather........... its all just so super these days!!!

back in 1980 the race schedule was - 250, 350, 500, open class (NW200)

how times change eh.

#5 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 15:48

saturdays race schedule - Supersport, Superbikes, Supertwins, Superstock, Superbike

this years event will be super racing with super crowds on a super track with super weather........... its all just so super these days!!!

how times change eh.

but , is it for the better :rolleyes: ??

I know which i'd sooner be watching ....................the year when it was superior , of course :up:

#6 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 20:50

one event ive never been to is the north west but could imagine what it must have been like standing on the pavement with XR69s, TZ750s and all the other open class racers flying by, bet you could hear an RG500 coming from miles away round there, i recall they were getting around 125mph average laps round there before the chicanes arrived.

in 1989 an RS500 (Laycocks) was timed at 189mph coming into metropole, the superbikes in 1996 were said to be around 170 on the same section before the chicane was put in, the old triple wasnt that slow.

#7 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:00

how times change eh.

Not such a super prediction RD. You were miles out with the "super weather". Such a shame for everyone involved in trying to put this show together. Even more heartbreaking since that's twice now in the past 3 years. Lots of talk over here though about more flexible road closing orders (similar to IOM) to try to prevent same happening again.

On a cheerier note, yeas it really was something else back in the days of full grids of RG's and TZ's.

Tom Herron still holds the record for the fastest lap ever at the North West from 1978 when before the chicanes he lapped on a TZ750 at over 129mph. Thats 35 years ago!!!

#8 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:53

that was me showing a bit of sarcasim with the whole super thing but in reality these superbikes with super tyres and super traction control are still laid up when that age old thing called a rain cloud stops by, it would seem man used to be able to conquer rain on a motorcycle but not in these super days.

oh well just like john m says "mabye the fans will be lucky next year"

if it was me who had gone across to it i would be writing to the organisers, every top team and rider so they could square me up for every wasted penny i had spent to go and see a grid forming up.

#9 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 18:43

Apparently the NI government will only allow the roads to be closed for 3 days. If it rains, there is no way the organisers can extend the event.

BTW - the races are free. So spectators who've lost money are going to have problems getting a refund.

#10 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 19:10

Is it possible that Moto GP and Superbike racing are to blame for global warming and a change in the weather ? :lol:

#11 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 22:12

Is it possible that Moto GP and Superbike racing are to blame for global warming and a change in the weather ? :lol:

No it was me driving round in a pick up truck until I retired.

We should be OK soon though I sold the truck joined the 'Euroblob' brigade a couple of years ago so the GW will be reversing, unless V twins have a huge carbon footprint.

Until then I will enjoy what is left of out global warmth???

#12 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 23:28

Apparently the NI government will only allow the roads to be closed for 3 days. If it rains, there is no way the organisers can extend the event.

BTW - the races are free. So spectators who've lost money are going to have problems getting a refund.

yes Tonka i know the races are free but that does not compensate people who save all year and travel hundreds of miles to see nothing, modern "racing" needs to realize that people make it an event and not the corporate sponsors.

#13 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:44

yes Tonka i know the races are free but that does not compensate people who save all year and travel hundreds of miles to see nothing, modern "racing" needs to realize that people make it an event and not the corporate sponsors.

Yes I've saved all year and travelled hundreds of miles and been really disappointed as North Korea wasn't as nice as I had been led to believe.

#14 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 16:33

Hope that works for you!

Sorry,dosn't for me-only gives info of 2012 event :wave: From subsequent posts do I asume no racing took place? Never was a great bike fan,but my only visit to NI was for the NW200 some years ago-was an interesting experience.50+ years of mainly car racing,with the ocasional bike,plane or boat event can't remember ever a journey which ended in no action.

#15 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 21:25

Sorry,dosn't for me-only gives info of 2012 event :wave: From subsequent posts do I asume no racing took place? Never was a great bike fan,but my only visit to NI was for the NW200 some years ago-was an interesting experience.50+ years of mainly car racing,with the ocasional bike,plane or boat event can't remember ever a journey which ended in no action.

There are several videos of the event on YouTube

#16 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 21:27

It's in Ireland - it's always pissing down over there.

#17 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:47

There were 3 races run on Thursday evening, and 1 race started and red flagged after 2 laps on the Saturday. So not quite "no" action.

The NI Assembly have already indicated they are willing to work towards more flexible road closing orders which may allow some racing to be run on the Friday evening (if given similar circumstances with weather forecasts as we had this year). I'm afraid the option of holding it over to the next day (Sunday) is and will remain a non-starter.

Anyhow, there's us whinging about our rain and disrupted racing and next thing we hear about the weather and disruptions in Oaklahoma - sort of puts it all in perspective!

#18 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:20

There were 3 races run on Thursday evening, and 1 race started and red flagged after 2 laps on the Saturday. So not quite "no" action.

The NI Assembly have already indicated they are willing to work towards more flexible road closing orders which may allow some racing to be run on the Friday evening (if given similar circumstances with weather forecasts as we had this year). I'm afraid the option of holding it over to the next day (Sunday) is and will remain a non-starter.

Anyhow, there's us whinging about our rain and disrupted racing and next thing we hear about the weather and disruptions in Oaklahoma - sort of puts it all in perspective!

Thursday was wet, but got a bit drier.
Friday was glorious. Not a cloud in the sky all day.
Saturday was awful from sunup to sundown.

Poor Mervyn Whyte, you have to feel for him to be fair, but him whinging about how the NW200 gets little Govt support is a bit rich. It's got so corporate even in the last 10 years it's scary.
It was the right decision to call it all off Saturday, it was foul with a big F. Standing water and enormous amounts of spray. Should probably have been done a couple of hours earlier, IMHO.

But what to do?
Surely, some years you're lucky, some you're not? I can think of at least one recent year where the weather was awful Friday and Sunday, but uexpectedly glorious Saturday.
How on earth can you have a flexible race schedule?
What happens if Saturday's forecast is rubbish, and the decision is made (one assumes Thursday) to run on Friday, say?
Do you get all the riders out of the restaurants, pubs and clubs Thursday evening and say "By the way, you're racing tomorrow at 9"?
What about all the people who have ferries etc booked for Friday evening? They come over to be greeted with the news that they're a day too late?
How do you advertise the event?
"The NW200, the third Saturday in May. Unless it's raining in which case it'll be another day, but we don't know which one just yet. Come and spend your cash...."
And what if the decision is made to race Friday and the weather turns out OK Saturday?

A shame for all concerned, but let's not go mad with the reaction.

#19 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 16:38

This years races about to start.

Live streaming here shortly - hopefully

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland/27333647

Edited by LittleChris, 15 May 2014 - 16:38.

Advertisement

#20 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:26

Lets just hope Saturday isn't 'Super Sodden'

Don't quite know what to make of 'Super Twins'. Seems to be almost a one make (Kawasaki), one manufacturer (KMR) benefit. Bikes cost (so the commentary said) around £15-20 to get raceable. I seem to remember 'Super Twins' from a few years back called RS Hondas and TZ Yamahas lapping faster than these modern 'Super Twins'

This year I think Parrish and his mate have been taking commentary lessons from dear old Jack 'Barnacle', as their efforts last night were nothing short of hopeless, with rider recognition that of a blind man in the dark. :wave: 

#21 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 19:12

Simon Andrews has passed away. :(

#22 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:22

Bloody hell, that's no good. He was out here a couple of times racing at Wanneroo a couple of years back with a squad of TT riders, and was a real gem, great value off the bike and a tenacious competitor. Awesome as the spectacle of genuine road racing is, there's always an underlying, clenched-buttocks feel where you cross your fingers and hope like hell everything goes ok, and it doesn't always work out that way.
Sympathies to family and friends, and all who have met the lad will be sad today.
RIP Simon, well ridden mate.

#23 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:01

Usual spoiler alerts if you've not watched it yet, edited clip from the Superbike race ....

Is it me or does Michael Dunlop come across a bit .... yer know  :confused:

#24 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:12

a bit.... yer know :confused:  ??????????????

If it takes a 'bit of.... yer know' to be that fast then I wish I had been 'a bit more...yer know' in my racing days in which case I might not be sat here today doing a job I don't like :wave:

#25 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 13:13

I'm not disputing his speed but if you need it spelling out - "How dare you put a hard but fair move on me, I'm Michael Dunlop". If my brother took that attitude with me he'd come-to in Coleraine hospital  :stoned:

#26 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 15:54

What's his problem? other than his ego that he is better than his Brother, that was as clean a pass as you would wish to see, & I have seen M. Dunlop do much much worse to others, great rider but very poor looser on this occasion, beaten fair and square by William, Good! :up:

#27 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 22:25

Simon Andrews has passed away. :(

Sad news indeed.  I have written up his racing career in this article, with thanks to Graham for the photograph:

http://www.f1network...-north-west-200

#28 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 22:40

Forgotten about that one Dan, you can use this one if you can grab it off here?

IMG_0025simonandrews2014wm_zps84b2ff66.j

Edited by picblanc, 20 May 2014 - 22:41.

#29 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 17:15

I'm not disputing his speed but if you need it spelling out - "How dare you put a hard but fair move on me, I'm Michael Dunlop". If my brother took that attitude with me he'd come-to in Coleraine hospital  :stoned:

Love or loath him (I am a great fan especially after the 2008 250 race) who is the person you most 'hate' in life, your brother. I have one, a younger one, I made his life hell, but I'd do anything for him.

I do not believe there was anything malicious in his (just post) race comments to William, but he'd ridden very hard and was beaten by a hard(ish) move, tried to respond and failed.

Lets face it, compared with Alistair (hook them into the wall) Seeley, a man I consider a very, very iffy rider, he's a bloody saint.

Road racing has to be wary of short circuit riders transferring some short circuit moves onto the roads, Josh Brookes as well comes to mind.

On the roads, sometimes, the only 'sand traps' is what is mixed in the mortar that keeps the bricks/stones apart. :kiss:  

#30 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:30

Interview with a remarkable lady

https://audioboo.fm/...r-robert-dunlop