- - - - -

2013 Formula 3 European Championship

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:43

Kvyat will stay with Carlin as guest driver.

Why as guest driver? Is it cheaper to enter as guest driver or why?

Advertisement

#2 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 20:59

What is the point of F3 round the Brands Indy circuit? And 51 lap races? Might as well be two laps, there's no chance to pass after the first lap anyway :(

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 22:29

What is the point of F3 round the Brands Indy circuit? And 51 lap races? Might as well be two laps, there's no chance to pass after the first lap anyway :(

Because DTM insist on using the short track for some reason so F3 has to as well as they are part of the same package.

#4 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 23:01

Because DTM insist on using the short track for some reason so F3 has to as well as they are part of the same package.

Oh it's their idea was it? I assumed the circuit just didn't want it to count towards their limited number of uses of the GP loop they can make?

#5 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:33

But they're pushing hard. Thats what matters!

#6 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:58

What makes Prema Power so strong?

#7 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:22

Aero tweeks and setup

#8 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:43

Trick gearbox ratios :p

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 20:39

Oh it's their idea was it? I assumed the circuit just didn't want it to count towards their limited number of uses of the GP loop they can make?

The DTM meeting must be Brands's biggest international meeting of the year, so I am sure they would use the long track if the series wanted it.

#10 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 17:04

They cheat?

The DTM meeting must be Brands's biggest international meeting of the year, so I am sure they would use the long track if the series wanted it.

I think it has to do with spectating, and DTM wants the people watching to see most of the circuit. In the same with F1 did to Hockenheim.

Edited by HaydenFan, 20 May 2013 - 17:05.

#11 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 18:13

I think it has to do with spectating, and DTM wants the people watching to see most of the circuit. In the same with F1 did to Hockenheim.

Yes, probably.

There is some history to this after all - when the Indycars came to Brands way back in 1978, they used the short 'Club' circuit which led to it being renamed the Indy circuit. It was as inappropriate for Indycars back then as for DTM and F3 today.

Although I still remember Danny Ongais barrelling down the start-finish straight at amazing speed!

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 18:42

They ran a short course version of Barcelona which was just stupid.

And V8 Supercars ran a truncated version of Austin which wasn't *too* bad but I would have liked to see them run the full-length back straight.

#13 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 19:48

They cheat?

Yes but just in the third race and just with Marciello's car.

#14 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 20:12

Yes but just in the third race and just with Marciello's car.

That they were caught. Conspiracy theory that Marciello is a Ferrari backed driver for an Italian team. ;)

The team just has the right set up on the new chassis. They have the car figured out. ART/ASM Formula had that with the car in the mid 2000's in F3 Euro and dominated with Hamilton, Hülkenberg, di Resta, Bianchi, Grosjean to name a few of the drivers who they took to the title in that series from 2004 to 2009. Since then, Prema has really taken the grasp winning in F3 Euro and Italian F3. Much like Carlin as well during the 2000's in Brit F3. Just seems that recently the trend is for a team to figure the car out before everyone else and dominate with the money flowing to them and competitors seemingly not willing to keep up, much less try to compete.

And honestly, who are they racing against? They have the best drivers. No other team has more than one driver who is really a title competitor this year. Mücke did until Wehrlein left to focus on DTM. Carlin might with Kyvat and Ticknill, but the Russian is ineligible for points.

Edited by HaydenFan, 20 May 2013 - 20:23.

#15 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 20:16

Carlin might with Kyvat and Ticknill, but the Russian is ineligible for points.

Why? Is it cheaper to compete without the chance for earning points?

#16 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 20:19

Why? Is it cheaper to compete without the chance for earning points?

He was just a guest for Hockenheim and had only just decided to run for the rest of the season, so now can't take any.

Was talking to a team boss at the weekend and they reckon that the longer circuit is too dangerous, I presume that's what the officials say as well.

#17 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08

He was just a guest for Hockenheim and had only just decided to run for the rest of the season, so now can't take any.

Yes but for what reason? What's the advantage to do so?

#18 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:18

I assume because they were only entered as a guest for the first round and missed the chance to be a full-time entrant?

#19 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:50

I assume because they were only entered as a guest for the first round and missed the chance to be a full-time entrant?

He was originally only going to run that one round at Hockenheim, but they decided (Red Bull decided) to continue running the remainder of schedule. I think if he had not scored points in that debut weekend, the series might have allowed him to be considered a full time entrant to score points.

Advertisement

#20 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 18:39

Was talking to a team boss at the weekend and they reckon that the longer circuit is too dangerous, I presume that's what the officials say as well.

They didn't think so last year when the British F3 series raced on the GP circuit.

#21 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 20:33

They didn't think so last year when the British F3 series raced on the GP circuit.

I think it was to keep costs down for the entire DTM weekend. Why open up the track and move safety equipment for sessions of the support races? And the promoters probably only had a permit from the county to operate the Indy circuit and not the whole GP layout.

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 21:11

No, DTM is obsessed with running short courses so the spectators can "see the cars more". They even ran the shorter version of Hockenheim once. Yes, there is such a thing.

#23 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 21:33

No, DTM is obsessed with running short courses so the spectators can "see the cars more". They even ran the shorter version of Hockenheim once. Yes, there is such a thing.

Yes, and I said that, but I was answering the question as to why the F3 series also had to run the short course. And that is simply as I said above, due to DTM wanting to run the short course and the track more than likely only have the permits and ability to run that course during the weekend.

Oh, I know about the Hockenheim one. Visited that track when I was younger and got a ride along around the course and we only where allowed to take the short course.

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 22:26

Well once the main series commits to one track layout, everything else will too. I can't think of any series off the top of my head that runs different layouts within the same weekend.

#25 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 22:42

Well once the main series commits to one track layout, everything else will too. I can't think of any series off the top of my head that runs different layouts within the same weekend.

World Challenge ran Charlotte in 2007/2008 or so and used the oval with a stupid coned out chicane on the backstretch during a NASCAR weekend (think it was the All Star race).

#26 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 23:04

When the Pickup Trucks race on the oval at Rockingham, the support races will still use the infield sports car circuit - takes around 30 minutes to change the circuits over, as obviously marshals posts and rescue teams etc. have to move. Last year at the Nurburgring the British GT raced on the GP circuit before the 24 hour race began, but of course that is a little different.

Generally the larger series will use the longer circuit and the support races are happy to follow suit, getting chances to use the GP loop at Donington or full circuit at Silverstone for example.

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 23:05

World Challenge ran Charlotte in 2007/2008 or so and used the oval with a stupid coned out chicane on the backstretch during a NASCAR weekend (think it was the All Star race).

So they ran an oval with a slalom on the backstraight? Not the infield road course?

#28 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 23:44

So they ran an oval with a slalom on the backstraight? Not the infield road course?

It was during the NASCAR weekend.

http://www.world-cha...y.php?story=610

"It’s really nice to be here,” Galati said. “It’s a little bit different with just a couple chicanes on the oval, we’re pretty much flat-out the whole way around. Going into the chicanes we’re braking really hard, but then we’re back on the gas full song. We were here back in 2000, but we were using the road course, it’s completely different this time.”

Kasey Kahne ran the race in a Viper. Only remembered the one chicane, but according to the article they used the short track in the tri-oval as a section.

#29 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:50

75 points in the bag for historic Rosenqvist! :clap:
Autosport article

#30 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:09

That pass he made 4-wide sounds bloody awesome.

#31 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:34

That pass he made 4-wide sounds bloody awesome.

Cheever managed that in the first race too. Plenty of good racing. Nice to be back at a proper track after Brands Indy. Think they're gonna regret not registering Kyvat for points though. Good that Rosenqvist is making a fight of it as Marciello wuss walking away with it.

#32 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:47

http://www.youtube.c...E?feature=watch

The entire season so far put up by the series. Seems people are figuring out the internet in the motorsport community.

#33 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 19:34

http://www.youtube.c...E?feature=watch

The entire season so far put up by the series. Seems people are figuring out the internet in the motorsport community.

I don't think too many people will be watching the Brands races again. Unless they need a cure for insomnia  ;)

#34 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 23:21

75 points in the bag for historic Rosenqvist! :clap:
Autosport article

Does anybody enjoy 3 races at the same track in the same weekend?

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 21:19

Does anybody enjoy 3 races at the same track in the same weekend?

The BTCC fans? They get 3 races in a day, at every BTCC meeting.

#36 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,385 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:20

Storming drive from Nick Cassidy this morning before the silly penalty-fest. Stalled on the grid, fell right to the back and passed most of the field to get back up to ninth. Nice to see he's finally got a permanent drive for the season.

#37 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:33

Three wins from Marciello this weekend.
As Ferrari Junior he will not do DTM as the last F3 European champions.

So what now for him?
Manor is the team behind Marussia, they will work together with Ferrari, Manor work together with MP in GP2, so will Marciello drive in GP2 for MP?

#38 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:41

Yeah, that would suffice I think...

Hah, didn't knew that Auer is Berger's nephew. And his now 3rd in the standings, cool.

#39 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:12

Also possible for Marciello: WSbR with Comtec, because they are backed by SMP. SMP also entered Ferrari GT cars in different GT series and they want to bild a LMP2 car with the help of Ferrari. Marciello tested for Comtec in WSbR in 2011. WSbR also is not that expensive as GP2.

Advertisement

#40 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:14

...and the cars are better.

#41 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 13:01

If Ferrari are going to pay for it they'll want him in the best team possible, tenuous links to Ferrari won't really matter.

#42 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 14:36

If Ferrari are going to pay for it they'll want him in the best team possible, tenuous links to Ferrari won't really matter.

Yeah, Prema was the team they used this year not just because their Italian, but because they are the best F3 team on the planet.

Ferrari will keep Massa another year and give this kid that wheel in 2015. In the meanwhile, he'll test for the team like Bottas IMO.

#43 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 19:08

But I don't think Ferrari really want to pay much money for that. As you see it at Red Bull: They put their drivers in WsbR instead of GP2 because of the costs.

#44 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 20:44

Ferrari paid for 2 seasons of GP2 + Asia for Jules. Though you seem to have to do 8 seasons of it before you can win it, unless your Hamilton or Hulk.

#45 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 21:08

But I don't think Ferrari really want to pay much money for that. As you see it at Red Bull: They put their drivers in WsbR instead of GP2 because of the costs.

Marciello tested with Fortec and Comtec in WSR3.5 before this season, so I agree that they'd rather go down this root.

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 21:21

Ferrari paid for 2 seasons of GP2 + Asia for Jules. Though you seem to have to do 8 seasons of it before you can win it, unless your Hamilton or Hulk.

He's had AETHRA or whoever on the car for a while.

#47 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:11

Bianchi has a really good manager: Nicolas Todt.

Who is managing Marciello?

Marciello told me, it will be definitly WSbR or GP2.

#48 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,214 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 17:01

A big crash today at Spa. Urrutia flipped at Les Combes and SC was deployed. As the pack slowed down going to Pouhon, pile-up ensued. Nicolas Pohler flipped there.