Photo

Bugatti Typ 41 Royale cabriolet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:41

This is the big white open car that is in the Henry Ford Museum. The one found in the junkyard in was it Queens, Brooklyn or New Jersey?
Anyway I saw it many times growing up, and like it in white but heard it was black with green trim originally. My questions are diverse:

-When Dr. Fuchs, the original purchaser, owned it, did he actually take such a montser car to Japan or China before WWII?

Did Charlie Cheyne of GM really get it for $400 USD?

-Would any car hobbyist who built engines have been able to deal with such a beast, or did the fact that the WWII era buyer
was chief engineer at Buick give him an edge? If the block was cracked, did he have GM cast a new block?

--How can they say this is the only Typ 41 open car when I have seen pictures of Jean Bugatti with an open Royale when he was a boy and the Esders car at Pebble though I realize maybe the Esders was built on a spare Royale chassis after the war.

Any info appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 22:55

From memory, although there were only about half a dozen Royales, some of the chassis had more than one body over the years - that might include the one Jean Bugatti was photographed with. Availability of engine spares for the Royales has never been a real problem as the same engine was used in the Bugatti railcars sold to the SNCF so the engine actually went into limited production. I think that's how Tom Wheatcroft was able to have his replica built.

#3 Barttore

Barttore

• 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 16:34

Chassis 41121 was owned by Chayne, not Cheyne.
There are threads in a certain Bugatti forum that might help you find what you need.

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 18:07

Chassis 41121 was owned by Chayne, not Cheyne.
There are threads in a certain Bugatti forum that might help you find what you need.

Even Wikipedia answers most of the queries.

#5 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 22:42

^^^^ What he said :rolleyes:

ST :wave: