Photo

1947 Franay-bodied Rolls Royce sold at B-J

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:51

I have been researching the ex-Gary Wales Franay Mk/ VI Bentley which I consider a beautiful dramatic romantic car.
But when I ran across this listing of a 1947 Franay bodied Rolls Royce Silver Wraith (WVA63) drophead coupe I thought it would be as beautiful when I went to the auction site. Instead it looks boring and unromantic compared to the Bentley. Is it just because I am seduced by the double paned windscreen of the Bentley and the front wheel well skirts (fairings?) in the Bentley. or is it truly uglier?
By the way it sold at the B-J auction in Scottsdale for $220,000 which is roughly one-fifth of what the Bentley by same coachbuilder has been fetching at its latest auction.
I know that Gary added the double paned windscreen to his Bentley that brings more chrome up high, and added more road lamps but maybe proportionatley the Wraith is bigger and the similar lines didn't work as well. Did Franay do any more postwar Bentleys and RR's?
Thanks for any advice. (Of course I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder...)

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 22:19

I was intrigued and searched the web to find out what you are talking about. I assume you mean this Rolls Royce and this Bentley .
Personally I prefer the Rolls Royce to the Bentley - it is far more restrained. The Bentley looks like the sort of flamboyant car a black marketeer would buy.

Edited by D-Type, 14 May 2013 - 22:33.

#3 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 22:38

HB, why don't you go to Coachbuild and do your own research? I agree with Duncan, for what it's worth...the Franay Bentley is a disaster. The Bentley bonnet is too high for that obvious copy. The car was the brainchild ( :( ) of M. Gudol, a De Gaulle-esque Frenchman intent on showing what frogs could do...so he had the car upholstered in 100% frogskin (I kid you not!) :eek:
Franay did a lot of Freestone & Webb-ish bodies for RR and Bentley in the late forties/early fifties; some a lot better than your example. Check 'em out.

ST :wave: