Charges pressed against Bernie Ecclestone [merged]

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

#401 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,444 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 14:03

The Delta Topco statement says:

"The approval and signing of significant contracts and other material business arrangements shall now be the responsibility of the Chairman, Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, and Deputy Chairman, Donald Mackenzie,"

Edited by Timstr11, 16 January 2014 - 14:21.

Advertisement

#402 kraduk

kraduk

• 236 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 14:06

More than likely he will follow the lead of his good friend Max Mosley after the problems he had with the NOTW and instead not do the decent thing and instead cling on with both hands.

Andy

what else has he got to do? He hasnt the time left to spend all his money? hes going to go all the way and stuff everyone else just like he always has.

#403 Risil

Risil

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 14:41

Saward, I think, is on the money here:

The fact that Ecclestone is being allowed to stay on as CEO is an indication of just how short of ideas the private equity firm appears to be

Given that the indictment wasn't exactly out of the blue -- and that corruption allegations aside, Ecclestone is 83 -- it surprises me that CVC aren't capable of acting more decisively here.

#404 BRG

BRG

• 11,367 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 18:23

This is very heartening news.  Perhaps Max will lend Bernie his prison uniform?  Although it would be a bit big of course.  

Now watch all of Bernie's "friends" gradually drifting off and distancing themselves from the old fraud.  Happy days!  :clap:

#405 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,120 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 18:28

I seem to remember a humble poster telling y'all that it is very likely that the net result of the complex web of arrangements is that he cannot be sacked ....

#406 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 19:03

I seem to remember a humble poster telling y'all that it is very likely that the net result of the complex web of arrangements is that he cannot be sacked ....

That is surely a perfectly reasonable theory, even without contract clauses. If they don't know exactly how he operates, they can't really delegate whatever it is he does all day. Which is why he's not really stepping down at all.  

Maybe this 'increased monitoring' is there to discover some clues?

The astonishing way everything got signed over to Ecclestone reminds me a bit of Brian Epstein, the Beatles' manager. After his demise, it took several teams of accountants a while to puzzle over where the money went.

#407 docronzo

docronzo

• 211 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 22:45

Do yo realize that F1 will be shut down if Bernie goes to jail?!

#408 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 22:55

Even if you were correct on the issue and knowing Ecclestone as we do, it wouldn't have been because of some quasi-legal complex contractual arrangement would it?.... But in any event the fat lady hasn't yet begun to sing. 

But weren't you dismissive that Ecclestone could ever be brought to book in any criminal court, has that view altered with the news today?

Edited by TriumphST, 16 January 2014 - 23:37.

#409 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:21

But weren't you dismissive that Ecclestone could ever be brought to book in any criminal court, has that view altered with the news today?

You ask a good question.

I would have been equally dismissive. It has taken an extraordinarily long time for the Munich court to deliberate over bringing charges. 

It seems to me they have been very, very reluctant so to do. But they can hardly can't lock up one party to the crime and let the other go can they? That tends the make the law look silly. I think there has been a lot of head-scratching in Munich over this. 

The Judge in the original Gribkowsky trial made much of the Ecclestone 'bribe' being central to BE retaining his position in F1. (More than any mooted share undervaluation.) But as is still true today, CVC wouldn't have any ready alternative for running F1 without him.

Maybe some new pressures have been introduced lately. Mercedes unhappy?

#410 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,117 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:52

You ask a good question.

I would have been equally dismissive. It has taken an extraordinarily long time for the Munich court to deliberate over bringing charges. 

To me, it just looks like they know that they have to be very,very well prepared in view of what's at stake and how the defence will be prepared. Therefore they have to take their time with each step. The timetable is more or less what I thought it would be - the German press always thought that the court case would be in April or so AFAIK. 

The mills of justice are grinding slowly but surely, so to say. 

#411 loki

loki

• 1,944 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:01

The real point of those Saward articles is the rightful scepticism of CVCs ability to choose a successor.

I hear Tony George is looking for a job...

#412 InfectedPsy

InfectedPsy

• 121 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:53

Good riddance I hope, I also believe there's a chance he'll stay. Why? Because if they jail him, the rest of the corrupt web will come down like a domino effect, "Name some names" will be his bribe to get out. The web of lies is built on the foundation that each and every culprit has dirt on each other, that's how they stay in power. Remind me a bit of how the BBC covered Jimmy Savilles paedophilia.

#413 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,441 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:05

The astonishing way everything got signed over to Ecclestone reminds me a bit of Brian Epstein, the Beatles' manager. After his demise, it took several teams of accountants a while to puzzle over where the money went.

John Lennon was of the opinion that Epstein (and the Beatles) got screwed over by the later accountants and managers who 'solved' the Beatles finances in a very self serving way.

But now we are way off topic...

#414 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:53

Good riddance I hope, I also believe there's a chance he'll stay. Why? Because if they jail him, the rest of the corrupt web will come down like a domino effect, "Name some names" will be his bribe to get out. The web of lies is built on the foundation that each and every culprit has dirt on each other, that's how they stay in power. Remind me a bit of how the BBC covered Jimmy Savilles paedophilia.

You may have been right had he been dealing with others of his ilk....but when he has to confront the German Prosecutors office and court system he's finding it quite a different story. 

scheivlak,

"To me, it just looks like they know that they have to be very,very well prepared in view of what's at stake and how the defence will be prepared." ....And in the light of the Gribkowsky case who would doubt their thoroughness.

Amusingly this and the plethora of civil cases are exclusively a result of Ecclestone arguing over a couple of million dollars shortfall in a bribe due to exchange rate fluctuations...He wouldn't pay, thinking Gribkowsky's instinct for self-preservation would ensure he kept his mouth shut. Bet he'd like to revisit that decision.

But overall don't you just love it when a plan comes together.....and always but always keep the faith... :)

Edited by TriumphST, 17 January 2014 - 08:55.

#415 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,646 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:19

Amusingly this and the plethora of civil cases are exclusively a result of Ecclestone arguing over a couple of million dollars shortfall in a bribe due to exchange rate fluctuations...He wouldn't pay, thinking Gribkowsky's instinct for self-preservation would ensure he kept his mouth shut. Bet he'd like to revisit that decision

It's one of the counter-arguments about Bernie being a great businessman. He was obviously astute to realize he was the shark in a pool of minnows, many F1 bods are hopeless at running a business, look at the team failure rate and the constant inability to act to cut spending for everyone's benefit. But his business skills cost Brabham a few world titles - they could have ruled the sport in the late seventies but he preferred the foodmixer from Alfa rather than the powerhouse from Cosworth because he would be paid for the former but pay for the latter, and in the early eighties took the petrodollars from Rebaque rather than getting in someone who could drive - and now he's in the clarts because he just had to do one more deal.

Wasn't it the principle of commercial vs sporting separation that they (EU) endorsed. One can't blame Prodi, however corrupt he might have been, for what occurred during that separation. That was down to Ecclestone and Mosley carving up the FIA......

I've never understood why that principle should be endorsed. OK, there's the risk that a governing body might eff up sporting integrity to increase its commercial value, but that's nowhere near as great as the risk that the commercial rights owners might eff up the entire sport by "owning" the participants and the governing body. And the EU has not applied the same thought to e.g. football rights.

Even given those circumstances though the FIA's sale of TV rights of F1 was not done at arm's length via an independent tender. That the EU signed off on it is sickening - but all too typical.

#416 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:54

It's time to go to the kennel, Bernie!

:D

#417 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 14:28

It's one of the counter-arguments about Bernie being a great businessman. He was obviously astute to realize he was the shark in a pool of minnows, many F1 bods are hopeless at running a business, look at the team failure rate and the constant inability to act to cut spending for everyone's benefit. But his business skills cost Brabham a few world titles - they could have ruled the sport in the late seventies but he preferred the foodmixer from Alfa rather than the powerhouse from Cosworth because he would be paid for the former but pay for the latter, and in the early eighties took the petrodollars from Rebaque rather than getting in someone who could drive - and now he's in the clarts because he just had to do one more deal.

I've never understood why that principle should be endorsed. OK, there's the risk that a governing body might eff up sporting integrity to increase its commercial value, but that's nowhere near as great as the risk that the commercial rights owners might eff up the entire sport by "owning" the participants and the governing body. And the EU has not applied the same thought to e.g. football rights.

Even given those circumstances though the FIA's sale of TV rights of F1 was not done at arm's length via an independent tender. That the EU signed off on it is sickening - but all too typical.

I've never been of the opinion Ecclestone was a 'great businessman' a mendacious crook without an ethical bone in his body, yes, he fits that bill perfectly and because left to his own devices he'd have floundered.

He couldn't have achieved what he did on his own or without colluding with another just as bad or who with a background that suggested respectability but was innately susceptible to corruption and who was able to circumvent the checks and balances of a supposedly democratic organisation to criminally further both their ends. 

Unfair to suggest there is any responsibility for the EU to ensure the FIA isn't a victim of fraud or mismanagement at best, when the standards committee(?) responsible and even the whole of the Senate which is tasked with oversight turned a blind eye to what was going on.....

#418 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,120 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:02

Even if you were correct on the issue and knowing Ecclestone as we do, it wouldn't have been because of some quasi-legal complex contractual arrangement would it?.... But in any event the fat lady hasn't yet begun to sing. 

:lol: I altered my view a long time ago.

.... but it still does not mean that "technically" they cant fire him. 

And yes, if I'm honest I am a bit disappointed that this seems likely to end in the way we all suspect... (allegedly) lots of dodgy stuff was done by quite a few folks and institutions over in Germany re the F1 rights in the last decade..... this incident may not actually be the worst example. 

#419 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,548 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:48

This situation could be taken right from the script of 'Downfall' Bernie's in the bunker maintaining that he did "nothing" wrong,  From what I have read of Justice Newey's comments he stated that its more plausible that Ecclestone paid Gibrowsky to stay in control than to undervalue the sport. Gibrowsky has been convicted of taking a bribe ergo someone must have paid it. That is what is likely to do for Bernie and by association CVC. I'm not sure that McKenzie can plead ignorance in having acquired the F1 rights by fraudulent means.

Advertisement

#420 nissan_gtp

nissan_gtp

• 121 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 16:25

Do yo realize that F1 will be shut down if Bernie goes to jail?!

He can run it from jail. 

#421 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:35

:lol: I altered my view a long time ago.

.... but it still does not mean that "technically" they cant fire him. 

And yes, if I'm honest I am a bit disappointed that this seems likely to end in the way we all suspect... (allegedly) lots of dodgy stuff was done by quite a few folks and institutions over in Germany re the F1 rights in the last decade..... this incident may not actually be the worst example. 

My recollection was it took some time to lead you to the light.... :clap:

But on firing the little man, Mackenzie already made it clear that he could and would, should circumstances dictate...Now do I believe him or you, well neither as it happens. You can't prove the assertion and couldn't trust Mackenzie as far as I could throw him.

Actually its most likely (as I've mentioned before) Ecclestone is probably safe on the basis he can implicate CVC and Mackenzie in the mess, however, that'll be because he's 'shaking them down' as opposed to any 'complex contractual' arrangement....

Finally on your 'disappointment' and dodgy stuff in Germany, well what can one say, is there anyone else out there that actually sympathises with Ecclestone's predicament?  

And on all the dodgy dealings in Germany relating to F1 that you contend make Ecclestone look like a choirboy, just what were they, was anyone investigated? were criminal charges brought? or are Ecclestone and Gribkowsky the only two to experience the weight of the German judicial system to date?  On which point, and just like the Murdock even the Savile scandals, the Ecclestone issue won't end with him, as 'Petroltorgue puts it how could Mackenzie not have known or for that matter Mullens....

#422 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,646 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:23

Unfair to suggest there is any responsibility for the EU to ensure the FIA isn't a victim of fraud or mismanagement at best, when the standards committee(?) responsible and even the whole of the Senate which is tasked with oversight turned a blind eye to what was going on.....

The EU literally couldn't find Spanish practices in Spain.  The EU hasn't had an approved audit of its accounts for a generation.  Certainly there is no chance the EU could spot a fraud involving the FIA; the question is why they were involved in the whole thing in the first place.  Or, to put it in a more Ciceronian manner, cui bono.  Wouldn't mind a spot-check of certain European commissioners' personal bank accounts.

But it is another example where the F1 media badly let the sport down.  Again.  Why did nobody question, openly, why something worth billions was being sold for buttons?

#423 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,120 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:57

My recollection was it took some time to lead you to the light.... :clap:

But on firing the little man, Mackenzie already made it clear that he could and would, should circumstances dictate...Now do I believe him or you, well neither as it happens. You can't prove the assertion and couldn't trust Mackenzie as far as I could throw him.

Actually its most likely (as I've mentioned before) Ecclestone is probably safe on the basis he can implicate CVC and Mackenzie in the mess, however, that'll be because he's 'shaking them down' as opposed to any 'complex contractual' arrangement....

Finally on your 'disappointment' and dodgy stuff in Germany, well what can one say, is there anyone else out there that actually sympathises with Ecclestone's predicament?  

And on all the dodgy dealings in Germany relating to F1 that you contend make Ecclestone look like a choirboy, just what were they, was anyone investigated? were criminal charges brought? or are Ecclestone and Gribkowsky the only two to experience the weight of the German judicial system to date?  On which point, and just like the Murdock even the Savile scandals, the Ecclestone issue won't end with him, as 'Petroltorgue puts it how could Mackenzie not have known or for that matter Mullens....

Hey - I have now read the statement ... I had only read the thread before......this a sacking (its just dressed up in flowery language). Congratulations - you were right! He has been sacked.

(little disclaimer - If he is still calling the shots despite no longer having any formal authority then it is even worse than I originally suspected ... as my view is based on the likely outcome of certain separate agreements being read together and not just on sheer force of personality/gangsterism)

They were all a bunch of crooks IMO from EMTV to Kirch to CVC to the various banks and funds.... only two(?) have been prosecuted. There have been numerous investigations ... but mostly private ones of the "cover your ass" variety. And that is all I have to say about that in this forum.

BE is (probably going to be convicted of being) a crook but he is not the only crook and he is not (necessarily) the worst crook.... In the 2000s that is (I am not counting what he did with Max previously - which was way worse than any of this stuff - as I am just referring to the shenanigans in Germany from EMTV onwards to CVC).  

Edited by jjcale, 19 January 2014 - 11:00.

#424 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 14:26

The EU literally couldn't find Spanish practices in Spain.  The EU hasn't had an approved audit of its accounts for a generation.  Certainly there is no chance the EU could spot a fraud involving the FIA; the question is why they were involved in the whole thing in the first place.  Or, to put it in a more Ciceronian manner, cui bono.  Wouldn't mind a spot-check of certain European commissioners' personal bank accounts.

But it is another example where the F1 media badly let the sport down.  Again.  Why did nobody question, openly, why something worth billions was being sold for buttons?

Agree in the main, but even if everything you say was on the button, it's a bit much to castigate the EU. All they did was to address in principle the issue of sporting/commercial separation within sport and F1 in particular. Where dominant players abused their position to stifle development of anything remotely threatening their position.

So when you look to apportion blame, remember it wasn't the EU that stipulated how it would be achieved or how a 100-year lease of the commercial rights at a peppercorn rental should be let, no that was Mosley, his steering committee and the Senate as a whole that pushed it through with the help of the recipient and (newly ex) FIA vice-president Mr Ecclestone, greasing the odd palm's as he walked out the door....

But where most will agree with you wholeheartedly is in your condemnation of the F1 press, excepting one or two and Tom Rubython.

#425 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:46

It appears that the Bluewaters case against Ecclestone has fallen at the first hurdle.

This is mostly on a technicality . . .  it being brought in the wrong place of jurisdiction. According to Pitpass:

Bluewaters filed its lawsuit in the New York Supreme Court and yesterday Eileen Bransten, Justice of the Supreme Court, ruled that it could not go ahead as it was not even suing in the right place.

However the most crucial revelation came when Justice Bransten talked about the cover letter to the Bluewaters' bid which allegedly outlined that it was prepared to pay 10% more than any other bidder. "No party has submitted a copy of this alleged cover letter," said Justice Bransten. Without the letter it is obviously impossible to prove that Bluewaters did indeed offer 10% more than any other bidder.

Bluewaters did seem like a bunch of chancers though and I don't know whether this is good news for BE or just plain irrelevant.

#426 Seano

Seano

• 252 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:36

Spot on Sal - they were just chancers! Must have cost them a lot of dosh to stupidly play that hand.

I'm afraid I don't follow the pitpass argument that this has any implication on the European Court action though - to me it's irrelevant especially if they couldn't even produce their evidence.

Maybe Bernie will take some comfort from this today but it doesn't materially change whats going to happen in Britain and Germany.

Sadly I really do think that F1 is in serious danger of imploding, there are a significant number of teams and their 'sugar daddies' who are probably insolvent and this is due to the ridiculous behaviour of Bernie, Max over a long time and Jean over the last few years.

The morally corrupt attitude of "You can have anything you want as long as you pay too much for it" mentality is just stupid and niave. The FIA idea that there's going to be any new teams in the next year is just plain nuts too - we will be very lucky not to loose more than two, three of what we have and four or five are not beyond a possibility. 

Seano

#427 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,120 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:47

So no US style disclosure then....

#428 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:33

Cicero was right when he said; 'The state can withstand its fools and even the ambitious but it cannot withstand treachery from within.'

#429 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,646 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 13:46

Putting in a bid of "10% more than the next guy" is, legally speaking, not a bid. 

#430 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,032 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 13:48

As I read it, they couldn't even produce a copy of said 'bid'.

#431 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 13:05

Sylt reporting that Ecclestone may have the option of a financial settlement to stay out of jail.

http://www.pitpass.c...ase-but-will-he

#432 ANF

ANF

• 624 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 13:19

Sylt reporting that Ecclestone may have the option of a financial settlement to stay out of jail.

And where on earth would he get that kind of m

#433 IPBushy

IPBushy

• 34 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 13:25

So, money can buy you anything after all..!!! Appalling.    (He'll probably do a deal for that as well.)

Edited by IPBushy, 26 January 2014 - 13:25.

#434 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 13:35

If he pays he can avoid prison. But paying is also an admission of guilt.

Meaning CVC will have no option but to dismiss him. Which is why he won't make the deal and take his chance in court.

#435 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 14:12

While this case was sufficiently hi-profile for the recourse to be discounted with Gribkowsky..... Where, other then in the fevered imagination of some PR guru Ecclestone's employed, would it stand any more then a snowballs chance in hell of coming to fruition in what is undoubtedly an open and shut case.

#436 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,424 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 15:14

I know that Americans are supposed to have bypassed irony, but didn't know that the Germans had too; how else does one explain that Ecclestone can make his bribery trial go away by paying a bribe to the authorities...

#437 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 514 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 19:29

If you have followed the many dozens of similar cases down throught the years you will have seen a common thread to all of them and the Mr E case is following the book.  The similar case that I refer to has nothing to do with alledged crime.  The similarity is as follows;

Wealthy defendant involved in an alledeged crime.

Prosecutors office sees public value that it can not ignore the wealthy but also sees great political gain in prosecuting to maximum possible.

Prosecutors spend public moneys to the max.

Defendant wants to protect honor and rights at any cost.  Also the more time spent defending the longer the status quo remains. And the staus      quo also protects daily income.

Prosecutor and defendant throw money bombs at each other which is all good publicity to prosecutor and holds status quo for defendant.

Money spent mens little to either party and money bombs all use up time.  Prosecutor using public funds and defendant spending pocket   change.

Pressure builds and both parties enter into interminable plea bargaining talks behind the scenes.  Prosecutor wants to see a max guilty action and defendant wants something that keeps honor at the lowest lifetime affect on wealth.

More money bombs are thrown each way.

After years and months when most immediate value to both parties is dissapated, and everyone is tired of the game that they can not win on their terms, an accomodation is enterred into.  Often nobody wins and sometimes there is a slap on the wrist penalty agreed to

This thread can probably dredge up 3 or 4 dozen cases that follow this scenario without breaking into a sweat.  :evil: 

Regards

#438 SirDennis

SirDennis

• 52 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 20:06

...presumably he would borrow it from Flav!

(And where on earth would he get that kind of money ....see above)

#439 Seano

Seano

• 252 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 22:06

I take your point Joe - but in this case the same Judge has already given serious bird to another party he has found to be guilty in this affair.

I can't see that any Judge would now be able to accept Bernie making financial compensation to avoid his fate.

Advertisement

#440 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,117 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 22:10

If you have followed the many dozens of similar cases down throught the years you will have seen a common thread to all of them and the Mr E case is following the book.  The similar case that I refer to has nothing to do with alledged crime.  The similarity is as follows;

Wealthy defendant involved in an alledeged crime.

Prosecutors office sees public value that it can not ignore the wealthy but also sees great political gain in prosecuting to maximum possible.

Prosecutors spend public moneys to the max.

Defendant wants to protect honor and rights at any cost.  Also the more time spent defending the longer the status quo remains. And the staus      quo also protects daily income.

Prosecutor and defendant throw money bombs at each other which is all good publicity to prosecutor and holds status quo for defendant.

Money spent mens little to either party and money bombs all use up time.  Prosecutor using public funds and defendant spending pocket   change.

Pressure builds and both parties enter into interminable plea bargaining talks behind the scenes.  Prosecutor wants to see a max guilty action and defendant wants something that keeps honor at the lowest lifetime affect on wealth.

More money bombs are thrown each way.

After years and months when most immediate value to both parties is dissapated, and everyone is tired of the game that they can not win on their terms, an accomodation is enterred into.  Often nobody wins and sometimes there is a slap on the wrist penalty agreed to

This thread can probably dredge up 3 or 4 dozen cases that follow this scenario without breaking into a sweat.  :evil:

Regards

Quite possible, but the Gribkowsky case went a little different.

#441 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,120 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 23:06

Its in Germany ... all bets are off.... they are cracking down hard on anything that even looks like corruption over there for the past couple of years.

#442 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 14:59

Plus this isn't a plea-bargain scenario, as in the US or likely to fall on it's ass were it HMRC or the Fraud Squad running it. It's the second of a similar case that will go over old ground with one difference, the defendant will seek to show that incriminating payments to Gribkowsky were in fact quite innocent.....well good luck with that one.

As it's going over old ground the case will almost certainly continue apace, the protagonists will be fully prepared and there'll be nothing to tax the lawyers unless it's the unforeseen 'Guinness or Dewani' defence.  Unlikely to take anywhere near as long as the Gribkowsky trial and will centre on whether the weight of evidence supports the prosecution case or the total lack of corroboration sinks the Ecclestone contention of a 'taxation hush-money' payment and not a bribe 

Although how he (and others), who clearly benefitted from the outcome can maintain he was unaware that he did or why he retained the obivious benefit when he should/could have repaid it, he fails to explain...

#443 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,035 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 15:12

I know that Americans are supposed to have bypassed irony,

You know that do you darling?

Or is this just received knowledge from a portion of the propaganda your state wants you to believe so as to keep you warm and comfy in your sub- standard, curmudgeonly life here?

NOW..

Below is the most concise and germane article on the surrounding situation written by the one person Autosport should have NEVER let out of their sight.

Mark Hughes on Legacy.

http://www.motorspor...till-felt-in-f1

Jp

#444 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:09

Its in Germany ... all bets are off.... they are cracking down hard on anything that even looks like corruption over there for the past couple of years.

Indeed.'Breach of trust', with which Gribkowsky was charged, is only a criminal offence in Germany (and I think Austria).  

#445 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:35

You know that do you darling?

Or is this just received knowledge from a portion of the propaganda your state wants you to believe so as to keep you warm and comfy in your sub- standard, curmudgeonly life here?

NOW..

Below is the most concise and germane article on the surrounding situation written by the one person Autosport should have NEVER let out of their sight.

Mark Hughes on Legacy.

http://www.motorspor...till-felt-in-f1

Jp

Hughes hasn't told us anything Rubython hadn't said and more in 'The Guile of President Mosley' and he put it in writing when it mattered....

Edited by TriumphST, 28 January 2014 - 11:14.

#446 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 21:05

I read in 'that blog' the criminal trial of Bernie Ecclestone has been set to start on the 24th April.

The trial will begin and it has been schedule for an initial 26 days.

The Judge is the same one who convicted Ecclestone’s cohort, Gribkowsky, to 8 some years and in his summing up stated that clearly he believed “Ecclestone was the driving force” behind the corruption”

Hmmmm. If true, sounds as if they've assigned BE a hanging judge.

The Ecclestones have not been lucky with the law lately.

You may have noticed that Tamara Ecclestone lost her court case in January -  to recover the Lamborghini she foolishly gave a now unwanted boyfriend.

Tamara-Ecclestone.jpg

They really do live in another world, don't they.

#447 TriumphST

TriumphST

• 230 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 21:12

Well tomorrow's the day Ecclestone will hear if he Mullens and others including Gribkowsky, have succeeded in clearing the first hurdle in the action brought by Constantin Median in the High Court......

Edited by TriumphST, 19 February 2014 - 21:13.

#448 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,515 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:46

SkySportsF1
@SkySportsF1

Bernie Ecclestone has won his High Court case brought by German media company bit.ly/1jS6PPR

Retweeted by RachelBrookesTV

#449 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 582 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:48

BBC also reporting this.

#450 Tapz63

Tapz63

• 232 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:49

This isn't the bribery charges thing is it?