Photo

JYS on the 'Antiques Roadshow'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:01

Happened to be watching the Antiques Roadshow this evening, which was from Stowe School, and who should appear but Sir Jackie with a couple of trophies. One of which was a British Shooting Grand Prix trophy, which prompted JYS to claim to be the only man to win events bearing the title "British Grand Prix" in two different sports (can any members confirm this?). I suspect the other cup was of greater interest to TNF members, however, as it was the 1968 Grosser Preis von Deutschland trophy, a remarkably small item by contemporary standards which Lady Helen had sadly over-polished to the point where barely any of the original gold plating remained. :cry: :rolleyes:

I suspect that UK members may find the episode repeated on the iPlayer site - Sir Jackie's appearance was just after the half-way mark if I recall correctly, in conversation with the fragrant Fiona Bruce.

Edited by cpbell, 19 May 2013 - 21:01.

Advertisement

#2 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:23

Trophy shmophy. JYS was quite relaxed about it, and would it really matter even if Lady H had melted it down and used it as a doorstop?

#3 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:25

Trophy shmophy. JYS was quite relaxed about it, and would it really matter even if Lady H had melted it down and used it as a doorstop?

Not saying he wasn't, just seemed a pity. If anything, JYS seemed to find it quite amusing.

#4 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:30

Of the saying "been there, done that, got the T-shirt", I suspect the last bit is the least important, unless you need to prove it to others, and JYS knows he has nothing to prove.

Does Simon Bull still appear on the Antiques Roadshow as a watch and clock expert? and if so, does he still own one of the JYS Tyrells? I think it was the '71 championship winning car. It'd have been nice if they'd have given that connection a bit of screen time.

#5 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:32

Of the saying "been there, done that, got the T-shirt", I suspect the last bit is the least important, unless you need to prove it to others, and JYS knows he has nothing to prove.

Does Simon Bull still appear on the Antiques Roadshow as a watch and clock expert? and if so, does he still own one of the JYS Tyrells? I think it was the '71 championship winning car. It'd have been nice if they'd have given that connection a bit of screen time.

Haven't seen him on there for quite a while.

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:44

When I read the thread title, I thought it meant someone had brought JYS to show as the antique....

Why would you overpolish a gold trophy? Gold doesn't tarnish surely?

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 22:05

'Does Simon Bull still appear on the Antiques Roadshow as a watch and clock expert? and if so, does he still own one of the JYS Tyrells? I think it was the '71 championship winning car. It'd have been nice if they'd have given that connection a bit of screen time.'

No, Simon hasn't been on the Roadshow for some time now. He used to own 005 but sold it to John Delane (I think) quite a few years ago now. He, however, DOES still own Tyrrell P34 chassis 6 I think (Ronnie's chassis). I'll have to look out all the video we shot when he first got the car from a German museum and had it apart in anticipation of its' restoration. Goodness, that was back in around 1999, I think.

#8 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 456 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:09

In a similar vein - I seem to recall years ago reading that Stirling Moss was going to have many of his trophies melted down to make a silver table top (!?).
There were a few especially meaningful ones that would be spared and left in their original state, but that was his plan.
Does anybody remember this story?

Also, Niki Lauda in "My Years with Ferrari" complained that almost all of his trophies were useless. The one exception was the Revere-bowl-style Watkins Glen trophy, which he used as a dog dish! Many of the rest were on display at a local service station in his hometown in Austria.

#9 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:33

well known LOTUS 7

#10 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:35

Start again !!!! Well known Lotus 7 Historian John Watson was also on with his Stowe Plates.

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:29

In a similar vein - I seem to recall years ago reading that Stirling Moss was going to have many of his trophies melted down to make a silver table top (!?).
There were a few especially meaningful ones that would be spared and left in their original state, but that was his plan.
Does anybody remember this story?

Also, Niki Lauda in "My Years with Ferrari" complained that almost all of his trophies were useless. The one exception was the Revere-bowl-style Watkins Glen trophy, which he used as a dog dish! Many of the rest were on display at a local service station in his hometown in Austria.

The fate of the Moss and Lauda trophies was discussed in this very old thread:

Trophy Smashing - Any Precursors?

which includes this fairly conclusive statement from Doug Nye:

This puzzled me when I first read it. I asked about it the other day and I understand Stirl thought about doing it but in fact did NOT have his trophies melted down and cast into a table.
His wife Suzie thought that it might upset quite a lot of people, showing insufficient regard for the trophies as historic artefacts.

Absolutely stuffed for space, he ultimately sold the majority of them instead to an American geezer who painted a picture of a Moss museum display, dedicated in perpetuity. Anyway, predictably the whole shebang is now on the market, piecemeal... The Mosses can't justifiably be too upset about it. It was so predictable. But disappointing, nonetheless...

DCN

It's also suggested that it was Hans Stuck (the Elder) who had his trophies made into a coffee table. See also Mike Argetsinger's story about Revere bowls at Watkins Glen.

Edited by Tim Murray, 20 May 2013 - 06:33.

#12 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:49

Going a bit off topic, but on the subject of Trophy Abuse, I remember the Calcutta Cup getting damaged following a bit of post-match (and post-refreshment) horseplay, much to the horror and disgust of certain parties.

And when the Australians won the Americas Cup, they joked about flattening the trophy under a road-roller and renaming it the Australia Plate.