- - - - -

FOM need to cover FP2 sessions differently

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:15

the last 45 mins of FP2 is all about race pace and race simulations so the cars are running 8 seconds off the pace and it is very pointless to watch half the sessions when all the cars are going that slowly . i know race pace is very important so what FOM should do is instead of comparing laptime to the fastest lap it can compare race runs from different drivers showing the number of laps , the current tyre and the lap times of course, that would be more entertaining to watch

Advertisement

#2 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:24

What they really should do is go back to showing full onboard laps, not just 1/3 of an onboard lap and then cut to whichever car is crossing the line, or goes in or out of the pits, like it;s a quali session. FP coverage used to be full of onboard stuff, I don't get why the changed that.

#3 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:15

The whole thing is unbelievably backward. As you say showing fastest lap all the time, on live timing as well, is pointless. LT is archaic. Posting PDF's of times hours after the session belongs in the 1990's. We should be able to stack and chart sector times, with tyres and stint lengths.

Nobody at FOM seems to notice or care that their totally crucial TV director is a Legard.

Move over Bernie, you were then but this is 2013. It could be so much better.

#4 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:27

Yeah, there not showing last lap on live timing is just ********.

#5 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 14:20

As someone who only watches the practice sessions casually, I don't have a problem with things as they are now. You can only glean so much from practice anyway, and it's not a very long wait at all until qualifying, much less the race.

#6 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 14:28

The whole thing is unbelievably backward. As you say showing fastest lap all the time, on live timing as well, is pointless. LT is archaic. Posting PDF's of times hours after the session belongs in the 1990's. We should be able to stack and chart sector times, with tyres and stint lengths.

Nobody at FOM seems to notice or care that their totally crucial TV director is a Legard.

Move over Bernie, you were then but this is 2013. It could be so much better.

Just use F1LT.

#7 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 16:59

i don't want to be staring at a computer or mobile screen while all the action are happening in TV , i used Live timing a couple of times before , it was terrible

#8 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 17:32

What they really should do is go back to showing full onboard laps, not just 1/3 of an onboard lap and then cut to whichever car is crossing the line, or goes in or out of the pits, like it;s a quali session. FP coverage used to be full of onboard stuff, I don't get why the changed that.

Seriously man, why are you immediately talking about something else, without any respect of the first post? That's not the frigging topic here!

#9 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:14

What they should do is show a graphic at the bottom of the screen showing the lap times of the stint for a driver and note which tire they are on. Anybody who is a big enough fan to watch practice sessions knows whats going on at the end of FP2, so cater to that. Instead of having to go to the FIA site and hunt down the timing pdf, just have it on-screen to give us an idea, at least.

EDIT: In other words, exactly what the OP said! haha Sorry, I didn't read it properly. So yea, agree 100%.

Edited by Seanspeed, 25 May 2013 - 02:15.

#10 Wlleiotl

Wlleiotl

• 955 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 18:45

so ive only caught it quickly, but they are doing some of this in the session running now.

ive only seen current tyre and last few laps/how many laps on these tyres, any other improvements someone watching a little closer has seen?

#11 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 19:00

What they should do is not show it as its just a test session

#12 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 19:03

I know people are entitled to their opinions, but this is just a bad opinion.

#13 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 19:19

as long as there is an f1 car on track , i wanna see it

#14 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 19:47

They had a reasonable graphic in today, showing current tyre compound and age, and the stint times

#15 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:02

as long as there is an f1 car on track , i wanna see it

Overkill, I guarantee if there was an F1 race every day of the year none of us would watch F1. By the way I've watched every F1 race followed every timing session and read every significant F1 article written in a sport theme since 1985. The most exciting part of F1 is the build up to a race about 10 minutes before the start after a few weeks of waiting.

#16 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:26

Overkill, I guarantee if there was an F1 race every day of the year none of us would watch F1. By the way I've watched every F1 race followed every timing session and read every significant F1 article written in a sport theme since 1985. The most exciting part of F1 is the build up to a race about 10 minutes before the start after a few weeks of waiting.

I dont want a race every day , but I watch any action on track

#17 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:07

I dont want a race every day , but I watch any action on track

But you said 'as long as there is F1 on track I wanna see it'. You'd soon change your mind

#18 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:38

There should be practice Friday morning followed by a qualifying session on Friday afternoon then practice on Saturday mornings and another qualifying session and the qualifying sessions times combined to form the grid. The Qualifying on Saturday could be televised as this is the session which decides the grid, some of the most entertaining and sublime driving used to happen on a Saturday when the drivers were allowed to 'drive' and not 'manage'.
There should then be a practice session on the Sunday prior to the race.
The point of practice is to prepare yourself and your equipment to perform to the limit with it which you then do on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. They should also have a spare car in the team garage but that's for another discussion.

#19 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:05

The Qualifying on Saturday could be televised as this is the session which decides the grid, some of the most entertaining and sublime driving used to happen on a Saturday when the drivers were allowed to 'drive' and not 'manage'.

No one wants to watch a 1 hour drawn out affair when the track was empty for the first 20 minutes.

Why do you think MotoGP has recently changed its Qualifying set-up?

Advertisement

#20 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:08

Just use F1LT.

This. Problem solved.

#21 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:15

The whole thing is unbelievably backward. As you say showing fastest lap all the time, on live timing as well, is pointless. LT is archaic.

You're saying an organization that didn't get HD cameras until just a couple years ago and still doesn't offer any legal online viewing option is archaic? :p

#22 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:27

What they should do is show a graphic at the bottom of the screen

There should never be a graphic at the bottom of the screen. Motorsport action takes place between the car/bike and the track. Overlaying the picture with a bloody graphic which covers over that area is far beyond stupid - yet all the broadcasters continue to do it.

#23 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:45

There should never be a graphic at the bottom of the screen. Motorsport action takes place between the car/bike and the track. Overlaying the picture with a bloody graphic which covers over that area is far beyond stupid - yet all the broadcasters continue to do it.

Your confusing thesis has captured my attention. Tell me more.