Cars for the Connoisseur help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 18:19

Hello,

The magazine Cars for the Connoisseur apparently ran an article on Colin Crabbe's Maserati 8CM (better known for its time in the Wheatcroft museum) in its october 2005 issue. I have been looking to buy this issue for some time, without luck. Can anyone point to the right direction, or better still, share a scan of the article ?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you

Advertisement

#2 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,027 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 23:18

Hello,

The magazine Cars for the Connoisseur apparently ran an article on Colin Crabbe's Maserati 8CM (better known for its time in the Wheatcroft museum) in its october 2005 issue. I have been looking to buy this issue for some time, without luck. Can anyone point to the right direction, or better still, share a scan of the article ?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you

I have had no success in securing a response from the owner of this publication after sending scans of my bank statements showing that he cashed my subscription cheque, yet failed to supply the magazines I had paid for. Good luck.

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 00:17

Fleabay?

Found one only magazine.....but who knows?....a more specific Mazer based search might bear fruit :)
http://www.ebay.com....mp;LH_PrefLoc=2

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 25 May 2013 - 00:19.

#4 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:53

I have had no success in securing a response from the owner of this publication after sending scans of my bank statements showing that he cashed my subscription cheque, yet failed to supply the magazines I had paid for. Good luck.

Sadly the owner, Charles Harbord, took his own life last year;

http://www.telegraph...ts-suicide.html

#5 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:06

Yes, it was a very sad end for this somewhat eccentric magazine. I did subscribe for one year or so in about 2004-2005, but the October issue is one that I don't have. The last time I spoke to Charles was at Monaco Historique last May, and ten days later I learned that he had taken his life.

#6 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 19:00

Yes, it was a very sad end for this somewhat eccentric magazine. I did subscribe for one year or so in about 2004-2005, but the October issue is one that I don't have. The last time I spoke to Charles was at Monaco Historique last May, and ten days later I learned that he had taken his life.

I used to see him regularly at the Goodwood Revival, Monaco and the Le Mans Classic.

He was the archetypal Englishman of literary legend, always dressed just so and very polite.

Not enough people like him left sadly.

#7 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 21:55

Charles visited me in hospital many years ago now, I didn't know him very well but I really appreciated his kindness. (I had taken on a concrete bunker at Castle Combe and lost). How very sad.

#8 Supersox

Supersox

• 105 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:29

Charles visited me in hospital many years ago now, I didn't know him very well but I really appreciated his kindness. (I had taken on a concrete bunker at Castle Combe and lost). How very sad.

Andrew quite right sad.
A sad weak man whose inability to live within his means and deal with the demon drink left a large number of good people behind with little or nothing.

#9 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 17:00

My initial query still stands, if anyone can help. Many thanks in advance