- - - - -

Why is Mercedes so fast in qually?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 genespleen

genespleen

• 408 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:03

We all know that Mercedes will tend to fade in the race itself, but I don't think I understand what makes them so fast over a single lap? Where, precisely, are they especially strong?

Advertisement

#2 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:07

The Mercedes is a fast car, it just uses up tyres very quickly.

See Lewis saying he 'couldn't drive any slower'. The car is quick, it just can't be quick and maintain its tyres.

#3 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:30

1- They warm the tires really fast
2- Down force, too much for their own good
3- Very quick drivers

Edited by charly0418, 26 May 2013 - 02:31.

#4 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:56

The Mercedes is a fast car, it just uses up tyres very quickly.

Exactly. It's a classic scenario of every positive reaction having a negative reaction. Downforce comes at the expense of top speed and a responsive front results in nervousness.

Red Bull has a fast car too but they are curbing its performance in order for the tyres last. If the team wanted Vettel to be a fast as the Merc drivers over one lap they could make it happen but its pointless if it means the car is too punishing on its tires. Currently Ferrari has the best package which is a car that is decent in qualifying but also fast in race trim.

#5 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:11

I think the car is just awesome on light fuel and a dog when fully loaded. Right from the first lap they seem to have the other cars on their rear wing. That can't just be tyre wear.

#6 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:04

Exactly. It's a classic scenario of every positive reaction having a negative reaction. Downforce comes at the expense of top speed and a responsive front results in nervousness.

Red Bull has a fast car too but they are curbing its performance in order for the tyres last. If the team wanted Vettel to be a fast as the Merc drivers over one lap they could make it happen but its pointless if it means the car is too punishing on its tires. Currently Ferrari has the best package which is a car that is decent in qualifying but also fast in race trim.

Has this been confirmed by christian horner or someone who should know?
I read a quote from alex wurtz the other day saying that race setup and qually setup are pretty much identical nowadays.

#7 peroa

peroa

• 10,779 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:14

Has this been confirmed by christian horner or someone who should know?
I read a quote from alex wurtz the other day saying that race setup and qually setup are pretty much identical nowadays.

amus said it in one of their latest articles.
RBR and Merc follow a similar aero concept, lots of rake, for this to work you have to drive with certain suspension settings in the back, so that the diffuser is properly sealed.
THe ultimate lap time is of course faster with this config but the aero doesn't have a broad working range.
Teams like Ferrari, Lotus and FI don't have that ultimate lap time in their cars but their aero works in a broader range which allows them to set up the car's suspension to take the best care of the tyres.
RBR are working towards this and since it's "their" concept they understand it inside out, Merc on the other hand is a bit lost at sea at the moment.

#8 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:14

We all know that Mercedes will tend to fade in the race itself, but I don't think I understand what makes them so fast over a single lap? Where, precisely, are they especially strong?

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=6282447

:rotfl:

#9 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:21

RBR said in one of the recent quali's that they could never have reached Merc's lap time.

Merc advantage comes from slow speed traction. I think it's low speed mechanical performance is so good that the Pirelli tyres can't handle it.

That's why Pirelli are worried about next year too because when the turbo kicks in Pirelli are gonna be stuffed...

#10 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:46

Bull.

Red Bull would love people to think that but if they could set up the car in any way to get pole in Monaco, they would have.

#11 dav115

dav115

• 747 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:30

Bull.

Red Bull would love people to think that but if they could set up the car in any way to get pole in Monaco, they would have.

No bull. It's as clear as day from the RB onboards how much understeer they have dialed into that car to preserve the rears.

#12 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:10

No bull. It's as clear as day from the RB onboards how much understeer they have dialed into that car to preserve the rears.

Yet they were no better at saving tyres than Mercedes today.

#13 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:08

Currently Ferrari has the best package which is a car that is decent in qualifying but also fast in race trim.

You misspelled "Lotus."

#14 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:01

My guess is they built a fast car.... :drunk:

#15 Treads

Treads

• 2,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:43

Frankly I think that theory was disproved comprehensively this weekend. The suggestion that Red Bull could have gained pole position if they wanted to, but set up their car to be slower and protect the tyres for a better race pace in Monaco, is absolute, complete and total nonsense. Why on earth would they do that in MONACO?

Mercedes, after suffering awful race pace all season so far, won from pole in Monaco. In Monaco, POLE IS EVERYTHING. If the Bulls could have got pole, they would have. Hence you have to conclude the Mercedes is the fastest over a single lap.