Mercedes and Pirelli in 'secret' tyre test

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3389 replies to this topic

#51 meddo

meddo

• 1,466 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:47

Funny,
and all of this came out just when Hembery somewhat gently said that Pirelli could quit F1....
Bernie, just retire. Or go to prison.

Advertisement

#52 zapppa83

zapppa83

• 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:47

That's unfair

#53 P123

P123

• 8,086 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:50

In-season testing in F1 is forbidden and Red Bull and Ferrari are considering a protest against Mercedes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/22672228

Why aren't Ferrari protesting Pirelli too? :D

#54 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,546 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:50

The FIA is ''keen'' for the tyres to change for ''safety reasons''.
This shows they've taken things very seriously.

Whether it's fair to go testing with one team is debatable, I agree. But if that's the rule, then there's not much to bring against them.
Change the rule.

#55 kraduk

kraduk

• 243 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:51

Surely Pirelli are at fault for requesting the help of a team without letting the FIA know?

thats quite a big assumption as we dont know either way that the fia knew or not. I suspect they did as its to big a risk if they didnt

#56 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,393 posts

This is bullshit.
How a thing like this can be within the rules??

#57 plumtree

plumtree

• 712 posts

No wonder Mercedes didn't criticise Pirelli as much as Red Bull.

'We don't complain. We just get preferential treatment, remaining silent. Red Bull, you fool. :smoking:'

#58 peroa

peroa

• 8,830 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:52

Nobody knew about this till sunday morning?
Who is BS-ing who here?

#59 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:53

Why aren't Ferrari protesting Pirelli too? :D

Because apparently Pirelli can ask a team to help them with tyre testing. In season testing for a team is however not allowed. So what Pirelli did seems to be OK ("Hey Mercedes, can you bring a car to perform some tyre testing?"), what Mercedes did not ("Sure, we'll bring our 2013 car!")

Edited by F.M., 26 May 2013 - 08:54.

Advertisement

#60 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:55

It should have been open to all teams, or at very least they should all have been informed.

Even if it's within the rules, it's very unfair to other teams.

I don't think thats how F1 works. Remember when we all found out that Ferrari has a secret technical rules veto? I know we want F1 to function like the IOC, but we're a far way from that.

I think its a duty of Pirelli to help teams struggling with their control tyre. Although this does seem to be taking it a little too far, but if its within the rules...

At least the rule was used responsibly. Imagine if RBR were given the test.

Edited by ZooL, 26 May 2013 - 08:56.

#61 P123

P123

• 8,086 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:55

Because apparently Pirelli can ask a team to help them with tyre testing. In season testing for a team is however not allowed. So what Pirelli did seems to be OK ("Hey Mercedes, can you bring a car to perform some tyre testing?"), what Mercedes did not ("Sure, we'll bring our 2013 car!")

Do we know it was with their current car?

#62 kraduk

kraduk

• 243 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:56

This is bullshit.
How a thing like this can be within the rules??

the fact that its in the rule book that all of the teams accepted when they signed up for the championship. Remember there is no such thing as spirit of the rules in F1, its either legal or its not

Edited by kraduk, 26 May 2013 - 08:56.

#63 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,633 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:56

Fantastic, good on Merc. They have tested a development version of next year's tyres. If it was an FIA supervised test, its a non-issue. Ferrari and especially Red Bull can cry me a river. As things stand now, Pirelli could be out anyway.

#64 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:57

the fact that its in the rule book that all of the teams accepted when they signed up for the championship. Remember there is no such thing as spirit of the rules in F1, its either legal or its not

I still haven't seen anyone post that rule?

#65 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Will be interesting to see if Mercedes have a marked improvement in race pace - will really underline the value of testing and how much the teams are restricted.

I'm amazed this news has only just come to light - an F1 car going around Catalunya is bound to be pretty conspicuous! As Buttoneer say's though, there are plenty of details we do not yet know about it - car model, driver, tyre type etc etc. Let's wait for it to all come out. At any rate, it can't be cheating if it's within the rules, although it's certainly unfair.

#66 Risil

Risil

• 13,420 posts

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

#67 dreamer

dreamer

• 520 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:58

We know that Pirelli is asked to do some changes for Canada...
Is this testing going to affect in any way the changes planned for Canada?

#68 rghojai

rghojai

• 361 posts

From the BBC article:

The tyres used at the test were development designs for next season, as well as a new tyre Pirelli wants to introduce at next month's Canadian Grand Prix.

How is that not an advantage for MB?!?

#69 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Bernie is desperate for Merc to win, so they'll commit long-term - it's their presence that's attracting others like Honda, and he wants BMW back as the more premium manufacturers, the more the float will be worth.

Otherwise I can't see why Pirelli would do this off their own back - a single team struggling when most others aren't clearly points to a car issue - so why would Pirelli be desperate to help that team solve it?

Image. Mercedes has become the rallying call for the anti-Pirelli brigade, the prime example of how Pirelli has gone too far. It's bad for the sport if the pole man keeps dropping through the field like a stone; it is therefore bad for Pirelli too.

By the way I'm not condoning this. I think it's massively unfair on the other teams. I'm just trying to see it from Pirelli's point of view.

#70 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:59

Do we know it was with their current car?

I hope so - it's a much better story that way. :lol:

#71 dreamer

dreamer

• 520 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:00

From the BBC article:

The tyres used at the test were development designs for next season, as well as a new tyre Pirelli wants to introduce at next month's Canadian Grand Prix.

This is unfair...

#72 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:00

No wonder Mercedes didn't criticise Pirelli as much as Red Bull.

Pretty much this. At least Red Bull were honest and outspoken about this while Mercs seemed so noble, saying things like "we'll find out why our car doesn't work well with tyres, we should work harder, etc." Yes, they probably found out--thanks to secret Pirelli tests. Disgusting.

Edited by rasul, 26 May 2013 - 09:01.

#73 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,972 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:01

by the looks of it, it seems all teams knew about this private testing but chose this timing (merc locking front row, before the race starts) to raise the issue publicly?

#74 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Sources say governing body the FIA knew about the test, with contracts outside the rules allowing it to happen.

I guess now a lot more teams will be against the introduction of new tyres in Canada....

Edited by F.M., 26 May 2013 - 09:03.

#75 P123

P123

• 8,086 posts

From the BBC article:

Well, Pirelli may not be in the sport next season, and the tyre changes for Canada have been vetoed by Lotus, Ferrari and Force India.

#76 kraduk

kraduk

• 243 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:02

Will be interesting to see if Mercedes have a marked improvement in race pace - will really underline the value of testing and how much the teams are restricted.

I'm amazed this news has only just come to light - an F1 car going around Catalunya is bound to be pretty conspicuous! As Buttoneer say's though, there are plenty of details we do not yet know about it - car model, driver, tyre type etc etc. Let's wait for it to all come out. At any rate, it can't be cheating if it's within the rules, although it's certainly unfair.

yep, it was a macca slr :cool:

#77 P123

P123

• 8,086 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:02

by the looks of it, it seems all teams knew about this private testing but chose this timing (merc locking front row, before the race starts) to raise the issue publicly?

Probably. I doubt a three day test could have any hope of really being secret.

#78 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,046 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:03

The teams must have known about this.

Imagine you work for a team and the cars are being stripped of engines, gearboxes, suspension, wings and being stuck in to a box. Refuelling rigs drained and packed. All the computer gear being put away, the car life lines used in the pits packed up.
And Merc still have a fully constructed car, refuelling rig, computers and enough team members to run it all.

Find it hard to believe that no-one knew they were staying, no-one saw or heard the car going around the track for 3 days, no-one noticed the Merc transporters still at the circuit ?

If Pirelli are allowed to ask a team to help them with a tyre test Merc would make sense - they have a fast car with tyre deg problems. One assumes that the provision for this assistance is written in to a contract between the FIA and Pirelli (or at least the teams and Pirelli). So we need to hear more about the stipulations in the contract. I would assume the FIA were aware of the test.

Also keep in mind we don't know which car was used, what tyres were used (could be experimental prototypes?) or the driver. One assumes it wasn't Nico or Lewis.

Don't forget teams will complain about anything doesn't mean their complaint is justified. They'd complain about another team having an aero advantage if the driver farted...

#79 Mtom

Mtom

• 283 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:03

What if they ban Pirelli for five races? :eek:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#80 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:04

Any success Mercedes have this season will be tainted.

The teams must have known it happened, and also known that they had been stitched up by Pirelli/Bernie under the rules. I guess they figured the most damaging thing they could do would be to draw attention to the underhandedness in the most public way possible, on the morning of the Monaco GP when the cheats would be trying to bask in the glory of a front row lock out.

#81 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:05

Also keep in mind we don't know which car was used, what tyres were used (could be experimental prototypes?) or the driver. One assumes it wasn't Nico or Lewis.

We know this: experimental tyres for next year as well as the tyres Pirelli wants to introduce in Canada

Edited by F.M., 26 May 2013 - 09:05.

#82 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,114 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:06

Had this been Ferrari or Red Bull this forum would have erupted ;)

#83 Alanmelon

Alanmelon

• 27 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:06

Nobody knew about this till sunday morning?
Who is BS-ing who here?

This. It's always been the same. When will a complaint have the greatest chance of punishing a rival? Mere hours before a race. Of course they all knew about this long before this morning :well:

#84 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:07

Who is their test/reserve driver? Who is the Pirelli test driver this season?

#85 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:08

I would love for FIA to come and explain this shambles away.

#86 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Any success Mercedes have this season will be tainted.

So nothing out of the ordinary for F1 then?

I guess now a lot more teams will be against the introduction of new tyres in Canada....

If all the teams said they wanted to stay with the current tyres - and by implication there's no safety issue with them - I doubt Pirelli would be devastated. Merc have still had 3 days on slightly different tyres, which can't do any harm. Pirelli stick two fingers up in Red Bull's direction.
It's a win-win. :D

Edited by trogggy, 26 May 2013 - 09:18.

#87 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Well this is some bullshit right here.

#88 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,546 posts

Sources say governing body the FIA knew about the test, with contracts outside the rules allowing it to happen.

The tread peeling off is a safety issue. The FIA is responsible for safety so the call is theirs.

#89 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,080 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:10

I think what's more telling is that the test was 'secret' usually you have people posting pictures or reports on twitter, or even there are straight line sessions.

Pirelli or Mercedes should be fined and penalised accordingly. And I always thought if you do have some sort of 'test' sessions for others to drive the car it has to be approximately two years old? For example when Martin drove the Ferrari F10 for Sky last year.

#90 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,080 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:11

Way to hijack a thread.

I wouldn't really say so. I think he's trying to point out how manipulative Brawn can be when running his teams.

#91 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

So nothing out of the ordinary for F1 then?

Debatable technical rulings have affected F1 championships before, for sure. This one is quite stark and easy for the general public to grasp, though.

#92 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Even if it's within the rules, it's very unfair to other teams.

Yup, it's amongst the worst cheating I've ever seen in F1. If I were Ferrari, RB and Lotus right now I would be catestrophically unhappy.

#93 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,197 posts

Who is their test/reserve driver? Who is the Pirelli test driver this season?

Mercedes: Sam Bird IIRC
Pirelli: Jaime Alguersuari

#94 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:12

If the FIA knew about this, with outside contracts, who knows what they can do without the teams' consent.

For example: the tyres in Canada, they will change them as they please without telling the teams.

"Paranoia much?"

Edited by Ravenak, 26 May 2013 - 09:12.

#95 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

"According to sources at Mercedes, the test was allowed because Pirelli can call upon one outfit for a private test to help it with products if circumstances dictate."

That just doesn't make sense at all.

#96 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

I think what's more telling is that the test was 'secret' usually you have people posting pictures or reports on twitter, or even there are straight line sessions.

Pirelli or Mercedes should be fined and penalised accordingly. And I always thought if you do have some sort of 'test' sessions for others to drive the car it has to be approximately two years old? For example when Martin drove the Ferrari F10 for Sky last year.

With new or development tyres though?

#97 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,080 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:13

The tread peeling off is a safety issue. The FIA is responsible for safety so the call is theirs.

But wouldn't you say it would have been better had all the teams been there to test? If we are after safety why should just one team get the chance?

#98 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

If it really was a non-issue you would think there would already be a fully-explaining statement from Pirelli, Mercedes and/or FIA out there by now?

#99 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,399 posts

How are Pirelli supposed to develop a tyre for 2013 onwards using old spec cars?

Follow the rules people hate it, break the rules people hate it!!

If they chose Red Bull everyone would be up in arms saying it was favouritism!

They can't win what ever they do!

Advertisement

#100 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:14

Mercedes: Sam Bird IIRC
Pirelli: Jaime Alguersuari

Thanks. It is not obvious, then, which driver (or drivers) would have done the test. I am not convinced that it wasn't one of the regular race drivers. No doubt we will know very soon.