* * * - - 17 votes

Hamilton Vs Rosberg - 2013 Part 2 [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3999 replies to this topic

#51 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,962 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:03

Yes, but Lewis had the same situation in 2010 and he bounced back. But I have just seen him being interviewed on Sky and he looked very miserable, and Johnny Herbert said he has been looking "a bit down" all weekend. I must admit I'm a bit worried...I really don't want another 2011. Lewis badly needs a good result in Canada.

He looked dejected, defeated. Of course he will come back, but the way the car is developing Nico has the upper hand, it's been set up perfectly for him. Lewis is struggling with setting up this car. Something he was so good at last year.

Advertisement

#52 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,075 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:05

He looked dejected, defeated. Of course he will come back, but the way the car is developing Nico has the upper hand, it's been set up perfectly for him. Lewis is struggling with setting up this car. Something he was so good at last year.

He just needs a clean weekend.

#53 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:06

Hopefully Merc have sorted their tyres issues and they can both now compete with the other teams and we'll see more of a merc driver winning a GP.

Nico best today, well done both.

#54 Coral

Coral

• 2,808 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:09

I don't expect a lot from Hamilton anymore this season. Even a 2nd today would have seriously helped his championship, it would have properly tightened up.

Yeah I know...me too. Vettel is just being handed the WDC on a plate. I am a huge fan of Lewis but being his fan is so frustrating...sometimes I just want to give him a shake and tell him to buck up his ideas. From what I can see he lost valuable points through his own stupidity/lack of concentration. And old Misery Guts Lewis has made an unwelcome re-appearance. I compare Lewis's demeanour with Nico's and it reminds me of him and Jenson in 2011. Nico is full of confidence and joy, and Lewis is down and dejected.

*Sigh* :(

#55 Ev0lutionz

Ev0lutionz

• 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:10

Yes, but Lewis had the same situation in 2010 and he bounced back. But I have just seen him being interviewed on Sky and he looked very miserable, and Johnny Herbert said he has been looking "a bit down" all weekend. I must admit I'm a bit worried...I really don't want another 2011. Lewis badly needs a good result in Canada.

Sorry to say but, Lewis has a hit or miss at Canada in alternative years.. And i'm a fan as well.. :cry:

#56 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,809 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:11

Hamilton's demeanor frustrates me so much. He blames everything on himself, and today it was nothing to do with him. He says he was told to keep a 6 second gap (Toto didn't mention this, :down:) Hamilton actually kept a 5 second gap. Sky are playing it up as his error, but the error was the speed of Rosberg, because he always limited Hamilton. But in the words of Hamilton himself, driving to deltas behind safety cars and being overtaken due to strange technicalities - that's motor racing.

Sorry, but it all goes back to starting 2nd instead of 1st.

If he had pole, he could control the race.

2nd meant he was at the mercy of being the second thought to the team.

#57 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,962 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:13

He just needs a clean weekend.

He had a clean weekend. He couldn't set the car up to his liking until the very last moment, and Rosberg was still quicker.

#58 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,435 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:13

Don't know why Lewis wasn't right behind Nico when they pitted, but from what I saw it didn't cost him the places as they were gone anyway. He got to the box about 4 seconds later than he should have (immediately as Rosberg pulled away) and looking at the Red Bulls speeding past as he exited the pits, Vettel was certainly more than that much ahead, and it looked like Webber was, or at least would have been by the pit exit line.

Anyway, as I feared, Lewis lost it in qualifying, as he wouldn't have had this problem if he'd been in the lead, I suppose. Well done to Rosberg, a flawless weekend without question.

Edited by inca_roads, 26 May 2013 - 15:14.

#59 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,006 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:14

Hamilton's demeanor frustrates me so much. He blames everything on himself, and today it was nothing to do with him. He says he was told to keep a 6 second gap (Toto didn't mention this, :down:) Hamilton actually kept a 5 second gap. Sky are playing it up as his error, but the error was the speed of Rosberg, because he always limited Hamilton. But in the words of Hamilton himself, driving to deltas behind safety cars and being overtaken due to strange technicalities - that's motor racing.

Hamilton is doing right,even if it was or not his fault,today is a day for happiness in the team.

Better days will come,i hope soon.

Was a good day overall.

Edited by Boxerevo, 26 May 2013 - 15:14.

Advertisement

#60 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Well if that is true, then I can't see how it's Hamilton's fault, because he was under 6 seconds on anthonys sky pad anaylsis.

Edited by ZooL, 26 May 2013 - 15:15.

#61 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

He had a clean weekend. He couldn't set the car up to his liking until the very last moment, and Rosberg was still quicker.

Lewis said the car felt good only in the last 2 sectors in qualifying - result, he had purple S2 and S3.

#62 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,907 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:15

Yeah I know...me too. Vettel is just being handed the WDC on a plate.

Yes, but this could not have been a realistic objective for Lewis this year. As someone who follows Alonso, it is depressing but FA should be in with a chance by rights. I figured Lewis was sacrificing this year for 2014 and 2015. I imagine he would like to have firmly established himself as the top driver at Mercedes by the end of this season. That is probably the most reasonable target for the year.

#63 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:15

If they'd done that and Vettel jumped him - which is very likely, Rosberg was the fastest man on the track after Webber pitted - you'd be screaming about the team mistake.

Why would Vettel jump him? He would be on fresh tyres, on clear track, going faster than the leaders. Vettel would have to pit in other to stay ahead of Webber.
It was a mistake, simple as that.

#64 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,035 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:17

Well done to Nico! Fantastic effort. :up:

#65 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:17

Yes, but this could not have been a realistic objective for Lewis this year. As someone who follows Alonso, it is depressing but FA should be in with a chance by rights. I figured Lewis was sacrificing this year for 2014 and 2015. I imagine he would like to have firmly established himself as the top driver at Mercedes by the end of this season. That is probably the most reasonable target for the year.

Yeah I too think the aim is in performance terms to be the clear #1 for say the last third or quarter of this season.

#66 speng

speng

• 1,299 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:18

Nico is owning Lewis. I never thought that would happen.

Yes, it looks like our favourite drivers are being owned at the moment, no excuses there but I am sure that Hamilton will 'catch up' and do well none of his driving skills are beginning to deteriorate.

#67 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Yeah I know...me too. Vettel is just being handed the WDC on a plate. I am a huge fan of Lewis but being his fan is so frustrating...sometimes I just want to give him a shake and tell him to buck up his ideas. From what I can see he lost valuable points through his own stupidity/lack of concentration. And old Misery Guts Lewis has made an unwelcome re-appearance. I compare Lewis's demeanour with Nico's and it reminds me of him and Jenson in 2011. Nico is full of confidence and joy, and Lewis is down and dejected.

*Sigh* :(

Sorry, but what are you guys talking about? His attitude shows how much this means to him and he knows he needs to work harder to beat nico. Do you expect him to be happy with himself after being outqualified by nico and making a mistake in the race?
Its not at all like 2011, he is very happy in the place he his, and he knows its upto him to up his game.

On a different note, i loved seeing the racey lewis back in the race today. Reminded me of the good old days of him hunting people down :')

He will come back stronger in montreal.

#68 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,346 posts

Why would Vettel jump him? He would be on fresh tyres, on clear track, going faster than the leaders. Vettel would have to pit in other to stay ahead of Webber.

Cool story.

#69 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:19

Nobody would enjoy kicking Lewis while he is down more than me but I don't think the situation is as dire as some of you. I think he showed some maturity today by not making a desperate pass attempt that ended in tears. He has lost some battles but the war is far from over.

If Mercedes has made gains in tire wear than Vettel is still catchable.

JMHO

edit: typo

Edited by Watkins74, 26 May 2013 - 15:44.

#70 paipa

paipa

• 296 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:23

Have you actually followed laptimes? The leaders were faster on old supersofts than Webber on new softs. It took the softs a long time to get up to temperature. Webber had free air and an undercut of 3 or 4 laps to Vettel and he still couldn't get ahead. Undercutting didn't work here.

#71 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,529 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:23

Yeah I know...me too. Vettel is just being handed the WDC on a plate.

Dont give up on Alonso too quickly. :D

#72 Coral

Coral

• 2,808 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:25

Yes I know you're right of course, I never really expected Lewis to challenge for the WDC this season, but it's disappointing to see Lewis being so comprehensively beaten by Nico and losing points through silly mistakes. I mean, the same thing happened to Lewis last year in Melbourne...a SC came out and Lewis was passed by a Red Bull. Does he ever learn? Vettel never makes mistakes like that. And Lewis "plays the victim" far too often for my liking. I may be wrong but sometimes I get the impression that Lewis's heart isn't really into being a racing driver...he should take a leaf out of Paul di Resta's book...he finished 9th (drove a great race) in his interview he was all smiles and hope for the future. Maybe I am being too hard on Lewis but he really should be enjoying his racing career more than this. :(

#73 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:26

Have you actually followed laptimes? The leaders were faster on old supersofts than Webber on new softs. It took the softs a long time to get up to temperature. Webber had free air and an undercut of 3 or 4 laps to Vettel and he still couldn't get ahead. Undercutting didn't work here.

And yet Hamilton lost 2 places by being pitted later than the 2 redbulls. Somehow your post doesn't match what happened on track.

#74 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,180 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:29

It aint that bad.

Ill be worried if Nico beats him round Canada.

A tenth of in qually isnt really owned. Would have been 1-2 if not for the safety car.

They are still pretty equal maybe nico is shading it but its not like hes half a second and 10 places up on Hmailton
I

#75 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,346 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:29

And yet Hamilton lost 2 places by being pitted later than the 2 redbulls. Somehow your post doesn't match what happened on track.

Because of the safety car. If Merc's error was not knowing which lap Massa was going to crash then yes, you're right.

#76 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,435 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:33

It aint that bad.

Ill be worried if Nico beats him round Canada.

A tenth of in qually isnt really owned. Would have been 1-2 if not for the safety car.

They are still pretty equal maybe nico is shading it but its not like hes half a second and 10 places up on Hmailton
I

Agreed.

Some people just enjoy sticking the boot in. It's especially interesting that qualifying is now apparently ultra-important, when I've read for 3 years that it doesn't matter at all.

It's 3-3 in qualifying and races. It isn't dominating, as you say.

Edited by inca_roads, 26 May 2013 - 15:33.

#77 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,418 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:34

Don't worry..he will be back...there is a decade of racing ahead of him...even one season is nothing... :kiss:

I expect Lewis to have more than the measure of Nico in Canada, pole and win? I'm putting it out there.

#78 anti

anti

• 397 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:34

Comparison of the drivers Nico Rosberg VS Lewis Hamilton Race Monaco GP 2013 (link)
Posted Image

#79 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,907 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:37

It's especially interesting that qualifying is now apparently ultra-important, when I've read for 3 years that it doesn't matter at all.

Monaco is always an exception. You can't deny that pole position was fundamental to Rosberg's race win.

Advertisement

#80 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:38

Yes I know you're right of course, I never really expected Lewis to challenge for the WDC this season, but it's disappointing to see Lewis being so comprehensively beaten by Nico and losing points through silly mistakes. I mean, the same thing happened to Lewis last year in Melbourne...a SC came out and Lewis was passed by a Red Bull. Does he ever learn? Vettel never makes mistakes like that. And Lewis "plays the victim" far too often for my liking. I may be wrong but sometimes I get the impression that Lewis's heart isn't really into being a racing driver...he should take a leaf out of Paul di Resta's book...he finished 9th (drove a great race) in his interview he was all smiles and hope for the future. Maybe I am being too hard on Lewis but he really should be enjoying his racing career more than this. :(

Why are you so insecure?
So you actually agree with the ridiculous daily mail article??
What's wrong with living the good life? :smoking:
_
Lewis may be doesn't like "this" kind of racing. I feel the same and I see nothing nothing wrong with it.
When he was trying to overtake WEB his engineers came in the radio and told him to calm.

#81 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,075 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:39

Coral, Hamilton's scenarios behind safety cars are unfortunately unaffected by him. Ironically it was Rosberg going slow (I say slow because obviously the RB went relatively miles faster) meaning Hamilton had to gap him which meant he lost out to the Red Bulls. It will be interesting to see the lap charts when they come out. Hamilton has only ever benefitted from a safety car once (Monaco 08). Apart from that they all haunt him. Japan 07, Canada 08, Germany 08, Valencia 2010(or was it 11) Oz 2012, Today. Karma is paying him back from the epic win in 2008.

#82 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,006 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:41

On a different note, i loved seeing the racey lewis back in the race today. Reminded me of the good old days of him hunting people down :')

That move on Webber was beautiful.

#83 P123

P123

• 8,491 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:42

Nobody would enjoy kicking Lewis while he is down more than me but I don't think the situation is as dire as some of you. I think he showed some maturity today by not making a desperate pass attempt that ended in tears. He has lost some battles but the war is far from over.

If Mercedes has made gains in tire wear than Vettel is stil catchable.

JMHO

Agreed.

Great race by Nico. Lewis's pace wasn't exactly disastrous either. A shame he missed out on 2nd buts he's not the first driver to lose positions under a SC.

#84 robefc

robefc

• 8,065 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:43

Coral, Hamilton's scenarios behind safety cars are unfortunately unaffected by him. Ironically it was Rosberg going slow (I say slow because obviously the RB went relatively miles faster) meaning Hamilton had to gap him which meant he lost out to the Red Bulls. It will be interesting to see the lap charts when they come out. Hamilton has only ever benefitted from a safety car once (Monaco 08). Apart from that they all haunt him. Japan 07, Canada 08, Germany 08, Valencia 2010(or was it 11) Oz 2012, Today. Karma is paying him back from the epic win in 2008.

Ahem Singapore 2008...WDC wise at least

#85 oldracer1957

oldracer1957

• 202 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:45

LH dropped back by his own accord.

nope... drivers have to drive lap deltas behind the safety car. :rolleyes: believe me... Lewis would have preferred to be in the gearbox of Rosi.

#86 rog

rog

• 908 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:45

Rosberg in full control this weekend. He was clearly in the better shape. Well done.

#87 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:47

That piece Davidson did about how Hamilton lost out to the bulls fell apart as you watched it, it was total bull, Hamilton could not come out ahead of the bulls after Vettel made up 13secs on him before he pitted.

These new Merc spec Pirelli's look good anyway...;)

Edited by PurpleHam, 26 May 2013 - 15:47.

#88 Mtom

Mtom

• 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:52

Here you go: laptimes
Lap 31: Rosberg 1:54, Ham 2:02, Vettel 1:38

Vettel is lucky they just look at the whole lap, becouse he spent at least 1/3 of the lap behind the SC, so i can imagine how fast he drove in the last two sectors. Kimi is under investigatin for 1:32 in the same lap.

Sadly Rosberg gone waaay too slow and that left Ham butchered by both RB :(

Lamag post Today, 17:54
I would call it pretty close, only thing he really destroyed is Ham's second place with this slow in lap...

Edited by Mtom, 26 May 2013 - 15:59.

#89 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,084 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 15:54

Rosberg destroyed Hamilton this weekend fair and square.

#90 braderzf50

braderzf50

• 111 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:00

Eww come off it mate and stop using words like 'destroyed', it makes us look bad. :down:

EDIT: Just so we're clear, I do agree that Rosberg did the better job this weekend.

Edited by braderzf50, 26 May 2013 - 16:19.

#91 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,418 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:01

If you consider being .091 ahead in qualy and then having a SC stint put two RBR between him and Lewis then yes he was destroyed :rolleyes:

#92 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:03

0.09 is not destroyed...Hamilton out of the garage last for the final run in Q3 we'd be talking about a different result.

Edited by PurpleHam, 26 May 2013 - 16:03.

#93 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:16

0.09 is not destroyed...Hamilton out of the garage last for the final run in Q3 we'd be talking about a different result.

Please mate. Stop now with the excuses.. :rotfl:
Is it difficult to say ROS did the better job?

I am a(big big) Lewis fan by the way. :)

#94 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:20

Please mate. Stop now with the excuses.. :rotfl:
Is it difficult to say ROS did the better job?

I am a(big big) Lewis fan by the way. :)

He was just saying that Lewis did not get destroyed by Nico, which I think we all agree with

#95 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:21

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?

#96 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,502 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:29

Hamilton was unlucky this weekend.

He is also struggling with the car, which is acceptable seeing as it's a new team for him.

After watching the race today I'm confident that come the second half of the year he will have a slight edge on Rosberg, and come next year hopefully 2/10ths on him. I was worried that Rosberg would be faster, and the last few races made me very worried, but seeing Hamiltons struggles this weekend (both set-up and SC) and they way he was very close to Rosberg, I'm reasonably confident he is the better driver.

Edited by thesham01, 26 May 2013 - 16:32.

#97 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:30

He was just saying that Lewis did not get destroyed by Nico, which I think we all agree with

He is implying that if HAM was the last out of the garage in Q3, he would have taken Pole position.
He needed a better S1 in Q3 that's it, and I don't see how leaving the garage later would have helped.

#98 Megacale

Megacale

• 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:33

Not sure if any of you watched the NBC broadcast. In it one of the commentators mentioned that Hamilton had intentionally bunched up the group to allow a 10 second gap for Rosberg during the SC period. The commentator said that this was part of the team strategy, so Ham ending up in 4th means he sacrificed his own race for Rosberg.

#99 Mtom

Mtom

• 341 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:33

Hamilton was unlucky this weekend.

He is also struggling with the car, which is acceptable seeing as it's a new team for him.

After watching the race today I'm confident that come the second half of the year he will have a slight edge on Rosberg, and come next year hopefully 2/10ths on him. I was worried that Rosberg would be faster, and the last few races made me very worried, but seeing Hamiltons struggles this weekend (both set-up and SC) and they way he was very close to Rosberg, I'm reasonably confident he is the better driver.

Hamilton really seem to find confidence in the car at this race and in qualifying. Unlucky for the 2 position loss, but im positive he can bring this confidence to canada, which is his favourite track.

Advertisement

#100 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 16:35

Sky reviewed their pitstops after the race, he lost a good 4/5 seconds by backing off from Nico too much and fell behind the RB's as a result, common sense says get as close to Nico as possible and queue, not slow down to leave a gap and potentially lose time, no need for it and Lewis should of figured that one out.