- - - - -

NBC...WTF

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Cr0aker

Cr0aker

• 38 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:42

So when I started my DVR'd coverage of the race I was greeted with Nico celebrating his victory. At first I was mad at myself and restarted it thinking I'd some how started at the end. Nope. Just NBC sucking at its coverage. Is anyone else totally pissed about this? Why did they send the commentators there for the first time in years only to pre-record it? How did they manage to broadcast the post podium celebration first, go through the post race coverage, and then start the pre-race coverage? I mean really? What the freaking frick? :mad:

Advertisement

#2 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:44

So when I started my DVR'd coverage of the race I was greeted with Nico celebrating his victory. At first I was mad at myself and restarted it thinking I'd some how started at the end. Nope. Just NBC sucking at its coverage. Is anyone else totally pissed about this? Why did they send the commentators there for the first time in years only to pre-record it? How did they manage to broadcast the post podium celebration first, go through the post race coverage, and then start the pre-race coverage? I mean really? What the freaking frick? :mad:

I think it went from NBC Sport to just regular NBC for the race. Then they rebroadcasted the race on NBC Sport later in the morning.

#3 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:47

I found out this morning that Unimas (Univision's second channel) had the race on without commercials. The spanish commentary however was a joke, they kept talking about mexican football league.

#4 Cr0aker

Cr0aker

• 38 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:57

I think it went from NBC Sport to just regular NBC for the race. Then they rebroadcasted the race on NBC Sport later in the morning.

Ah....still pissed. I mean that's great, but I'm assuming that by re-airing something you are assuming the the people tuning in are seeing it for the first time. So again, why would you start the coverage by showing the end first?

Edited by Cr0aker, 27 May 2013 - 03:06.

#5 Megacale

Megacale

• 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:51

Same thing happened in my household. I switched on the TV as Rosberg was thrusting his trophy into the air, lol. I was pretty damn pissed. However, I left for about 30 mins, came back and saw the start of the race again... not sure wtf happened today.

#6 mg5904

mg5904

• 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:06

. . . I mean really? What the freaking frick? :mad:

Same thing happened to me. Was really pissed as I took precautions all day to stay away from any possible spoilers. Thanks bunches, NBCSports.

#7 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:16

Lesson learned. Watch the race live and you won't have a spoilers problem.

I don't get why people watch live events delayed. I have friends that refuses to hang out on Sundays because I wear my rocket red team shirt when McLaren wins, so they know the results based on what I wear. Although that's not a problem this year lol.

Edited by rage2, 27 May 2013 - 04:20.

#8 mg5904

mg5904

• 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:34

I don't get why people watch live events delayed. I have friends that refuses to hang out on Sundays because I wear my rocket red team shirt when McLaren wins, so they know the results based on what I wear. Although that's not a problem this year lol.

People dvr live events for many reasons: too busy watch, archive the show for later viewing with friends, away from home, the event is on at an inconvenient time, simple unplanned chaos of life getting in the way, the ability to fast forward through commercials, etc.

#9 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:27

I don't get why people watch live events delayed.

Because the whole world doesn't live in Europe perhaps? On the US west coast this race started at 5AM (or Hawaii 2AM). Most people like to get a reasonable amount of sleep on weekends after a work week. Even if you are willing to wake up really early for the race, maybe you'd rather watch it with friends/family who may not be willing to wake up so early

There would be no "spoiler problem" if NBC didn't show the podium ceremony before the race. This is the first time that has ever happened, so saying the viewers/fans should expect the race to be spoiled is pretty silly.

#10 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:55

They showed a live pre-race on NBCSports and then showed the race live on NBC and then went back to NBCSports for the Live F1Extra show.

Then went into a replay on NBCSports. This was all known in advance if you took two seconds to check your TV guide. NBC isn't the problem.

#11 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:50

I watched the race live on NBC no problem. I was a bit worried when the race ran past 10 am, but they showed it in its entirety. I thought they did a good job.

#12 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,455 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:57

Regardless of where I am in the world I watch the races live, I also record them and then see them again several times if they are interesting enough. Delete them when running low on DVR memory. Apart from the switching of channels from Pre-race to Race to Post-race I think NBC did a good job.

:cool:

#13 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 14:05

Regardless of where I am in the world I watch the races live, I also record them and then see them again several times if they are interesting enough. Delete them when running low on DVR memory. Apart from the switching of channels from Pre-race to Race to Post-race I think NBC did a good job.

:cool:

I had an issue with formatting though. The formatting cut off a few inches on each side of the screen. But when I flipped to NBCSN, the formatting was normal. But yeah, they did a good job. Watched the post-race and did notice they jumped pretty quickly from the end of the show to the start of the pre-race of the delayed showing. But I don't believe that was even planned. Remember, this race went longer than expected with the red flag period.

#14 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,192 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 14:06

They didnt even show it on my local nbc. bastards

#15 mg5904

mg5904

• 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 14:28

. . .
Then went into a replay on NBCSports. This was all known in advance if you took two seconds to check your TV guide. NBC isn't the problem.

You know I've tried this strategy in the past w/NBCSports. Set up my DVR'd to record F1 36 and they actually showed hockey instead. Set up my DVR to record an evening showing of qualifying and the GP2 race and they actually showed a parade in Indianapolis. I'm not very confident in NBCSports program listings.

#16 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 14:34

I hvae not watched a NBC broadcast yet, luckily TSN usually has the BBC broadcast.

#17 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 14:45

Um actually, I felt the Monaco coverage was very good. NBC advertised throughout practice and qualifying that the race would be broadcast live on NBC starting at 7.30am East Coast Time, that's 4.30 in the am where I live so I ensured that I had set the dvr up, on NBC, to kick in at that ungodly hour. After the race, coverage continued on NBC Sports and we saw Will Buxton interview Button in the paddock. They also had their entire broadcast team at the race.

Around 7am (West Coast Time) on race day I had my wife turn on the tv and let me know if the race was over, she said they are showing pictures of the harbour and the boats, so I started watching and found out I caught the restart of race after the red flag. So I ended up watching the rest of the race live and the start on the replay on NBC Sports, I have yet to watch the dvr'ed version of it.

Edited by ThadGreen, 27 May 2013 - 14:47.

#18 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 15:28

You know I've tried this strategy in the past w/NBCSports. Set up my DVR'd to record F1 36 and they actually showed hockey instead. Set up my DVR to record an evening showing of qualifying and the GP2 race and they actually showed a parade in Indianapolis. I'm not very confident in NBCSports program listings.

What cable provider do you have? With Comcast (which own NBC), they were accurate, with the Parade listed after the F1 qualifying show Saturday night.

And when it comes to F136, they only seemed to have made one, the Vettel one from the off-season. Plus with live sports, they tend to go over their allotted time, and with hockey, they tend to go over at least 45 minutes this season. Usually they are only halfway through the 3rd period when they are supposed to finish with their allotted time.

#19 ashley313

ashley313

• 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 16:06

I don't watch NBC because American coverage of motorsport is atrocious, and I only watch the races live but...I do know you should record the original broadcast and not the replay, plus whatever show is scheduled to come on after it in case in runs over.

Advertisement

#20 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 16:53

People dvr live events for many reasons: too busy watch, archive the show for later viewing with friends, away from home, the event is on at an inconvenient time, simple unplanned chaos of life getting in the way, the ability to fast forward through commercials, etc.

Sure, but you're going to risk getting spoilers from sports news, web, and what not. Hell, even watching an unrelated event, the live ticker would give you spoilers. It's the risk you're taking by not watching live.

Because the whole world doesn't live in Europe perhaps? On the US west coast this race started at 5AM (or Hawaii 2AM). Most people like to get a reasonable amount of sleep on weekends after a work week. Even if you are willing to wake up really early for the race, maybe you'd rather watch it with friends/family who may not be willing to wake up so early

There would be no "spoiler problem" if NBC didn't show the podium ceremony before the race. This is the first time that has ever happened, so saying the viewers/fans should expect the race to be spoiled is pretty silly.

Meh, I'm on the west coast, and I haven't missed a race live since '93. Why do I do this? So I don't run into the same problems as you did.

If you want to blame anyone, you should blame Chilton for crashing into Maldonado and causing a red flag, which extended the race by 30 minutes. Because of this, the post race show was delayed 30 minutes on NBC-S, and what your DVR recorded was the delayed post race show before the replay of the race. Or you can blame yourself like others have said, by recording the NBC live feed instead of the NBC-S feed, which was advertised well in advance non stop. NBC was top notch in it's coverage for the race, was great seeing the gang live in person at Monaco. :clap:

#21 dnbn

dnbn

• 2,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 17:45

We need to applaud NBC for broadcasting the race, and the upcoming British GP, live and not delayed to 1pm ET like FOX and CBS used to do in the past.

Edited by dnbn, 27 May 2013 - 17:46.

#22 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 18:36

What cable provider do you have? With Comcast (which own NBC), they were accurate, with the Parade listed after the F1 qualifying show Saturday night.

And when it comes to F136, they only seemed to have made one, the Vettel one from the off-season. Plus with live sports, they tend to go over their allotted time, and with hockey, they tend to go over at least 45 minutes this season. Usually they are only halfway through the 3rd period when they are supposed to finish with their allotted time.

They have made 2 F136 shows so far. One with Kimi also. It is not named "Kimi Raikkonen" like the Sebastian Vettel one, but rather just advertised as F136.

Then they have F1 Extra, which is what I think that poster was referring to. That show is on after the race - the post race show. That was shown on NBC Sports Network after the race. Unfortunately, because the race ran late, it was on at the time the re-broadcast of the race was to start on NBC sports. So instead of the normal preshow, you had the post race which spoiled the race for those who were watching for the first time during the rebroadcast on NBC Sports.

They should have not aired it. The race ran late, but people wouldn't know that and they spoiled it for the many who were taping or viewing the NBC Sports Network rebroadcast. The NBC broadcast started at 2am-8am, depending where you were in the county, with the preshow a half hour before. It is the best bet to always record that show. But this time, many didn't realize it was live on NBC and just taped or watched the re-broadcast. So NBC should have just done the replay this time and not the post race show due to the late race. They could put a line strip along the bottom indicating the post race show would be aired after the re-broadcast. That would have been best. An executive decision to simply elongate the NBC coverage to include the interviews would have made everyone happy. But contracts may have prevented them from doing that.

Anyway now everyone knows. If the race runs late, you are liable to see the start of the race on NBC sports if the live race is aired on NBC. So best record NBC and set your DVR to add an hour to it. Then also record the post race show - generally a 1/2 hour on NBC Sports. I forget how many races are on NBC. Seems to me Canada, the USA, Abu Dhabi - but don't count on that. Check on it. In addition, it may vary depending on what area you live in.

Edited by bourbon, 27 May 2013 - 18:37.

#23 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,633 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 19:09

The same thing happened to me. I was more than a little pissed last night.

#24 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 19:12

They have made 2 F136 shows so far. One with Kimi also. It is not named "Kimi Raikkonen" like the Sebastian Vettel one, but rather just advertised as F136.

Then they have F1 Extra, which is what I think that poster was referring to. That show is on after the race - the post race show. That was shown on NBC Sports Network after the race. Unfortunately, because the race ran late, it was on at the time the re-broadcast of the race was to start on NBC sports. So instead of the normal preshow, you had the post race which spoiled the race for those who were watching for the first time during the rebroadcast on NBC Sports.

They should have not aired it. The race ran late, but people wouldn't know that and they spoiled it for the many who were taping or viewing the NBC Sports Network rebroadcast. The NBC broadcast started at 2am-8am, depending where you were in the county, with the preshow a half hour before. It is the best bet to always record that show. But this time, many didn't realize it was live on NBC and just taped or watched the re-broadcast. So NBC should have just done the replay this time and not the post race show due to the late race. They could put a line strip along the bottom indicating the post race show would be aired after the re-broadcast. That would have been best. An executive decision to simply elongate the NBC coverage to include the interviews would have made everyone happy. But contracts may have prevented them from doing that.

Anyway now everyone knows. If the race runs late, you are liable to see the start of the race on NBC sports if the live race is aired on NBC. So best record NBC and set your DVR to add an hour to it. Then also record the post race show - generally a 1/2 hour on NBC Sports. I forget how many races are on NBC. Seems to me Canada, the USA, Abu Dhabi - but don't count on that. Check on it. In addition, it may vary depending on what area you live in.

Not aired the post race show? That's the best part of F1 broadcasts since they moved from Speed to NBC! No reason to do that just for the few people that don't care enough, "too busy to watch live", or "like to get a reasonable amount of sleep on weekends after a work week" and not know how to program their DVR's properly.

#25 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 19:18

DVR the original broadcast next time.

I think the bigger problem is that when DVR'ing, it includes the final seconds of the previous show. I used to have the GP2 Sprint race result spoiled for me fairly often on SpeedTV.

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:25

I think the bigger problem is that when DVR'ing, it includes the final seconds of the previous show.

Sean is correct.

As I always say though...
If it ain't live..It's jive.

OP just proved my point.
Jp

#27 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,633 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:10

DVR the original broadcast next time.

I checked my DVR settings, and it F1 was set to "first run" [or whatever it's called].

grrr.....

#28 colonelbadger

colonelbadger

• 141 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:39

I checked my DVR settings, and it F1 was set to "first run" [or whatever it's called].

grrr.....

The problem was you recorded the rerun on NBCSN instead of recording the live event on NBC. Because of the red flag the live event over ran. As such the post race coverge on NBCSN started late so your recording of the rerun caught the end of it. As people have said, next time record the live show.

#29 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:35

Easy solution: set up a wishlist to catch F1 on any channel. Most DVRs can do this, and it's quite helpful for situations like this one. Be sure to tell it to record a few minutes extra, too. Then you will always have the choice between the live version and the re-run.

#30 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 272 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:59

If you want to watch it delayed why not just download the full race inc pre/post race Sky coverage in HD with no ads from a torrent.

That's what I do if I miss a practice session or qualy (I never miss a race including the incredibly annoying 5am Monday American ones).

#31 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 21:44

So ... NBC delays their FP2 coverage until 2pm this afternoon. I adjust my dvr and check out the recording only to find 30 minutes of NASCAR practice delays. Then F1 starts 30 minutes late. They show about 5 minutes and then cut back to NASCAR for the rest of the show. They did mention that we could catch FP2 tonight at 1130pm on CNBC. 

Nice. Thanks for that. 

Edited by AustinF1, 08 July 2016 - 21:51.

#32 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 21:53

So ... NBC delays their FP2 coverage until 2pm this afternoon. I adjust my dvr and check out the recording only to find 30 minutes of NASCAR practice delays. Then F1 starts 30 minutes late. They show about 5 minutes and then cut back to NASCAR for the rest of the show. They did mention that we could catch FP2 tonight at 1130pm on CNBC. 

Nice. Thanks for that. 

And they wonder why F1 isnt popular in the USA?  I thought I was the only one who was genuinely pissed about this.  I am a verizon customer.  If I set my DVR to "Record Series" then it should always record the F1 series and the just whatever happens to air on NBCSN at that time.  Totally bogus.

#33 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 22:31

Nah. Not just you. Or me.

#34 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 23:13

And they wonder why F1 isnt popular in the USA?  I thought I was the only one who was genuinely pissed about this.  I am a verizon customer.  If I set my DVR to "Record Series" then it should always record the F1 series and the just whatever happens to air on NBCSN at that time.  Totally bogus.

I think you have it backwards ..... the situation is because F1 isn't popular, not why. NBCSN just follows the money trail (it is commercial TV after all) and F1 rates behind NASCAR and even the TDF. Blame your fellow Americans for the situation, or F1 for not making the effort. I've learned the hard way that F1 is low priority in the USA, and as such gets bumped around alot by NBC. It was better in Canada (carried by TSN), but not much. At least this time it was only practice.

#35 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 00:02

Nice. Thanks for that. 

LOL, at least you're getting some racing. Around here they'll just throw men's volleyball on it. That sucks.

#36 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,774 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 00:13

They have the odd screw up but on the whole I reckon their coverage is pretty great.  Bloody annoying when it happens though like this morning.

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:07

Yeah.. I tuned in too. Iz BoolSheet.
Jp

#38 Dangerpaws

Dangerpaws

• 115 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:17

Yep...me too.  Guess I'll watch practice late tonight or after qualifying.

#39 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:18

I only watch the NBC coverage in qualifying. For the race I tune to some Spanish language channel, which has the race live in HD without ad breaks. On NBC the commentators don't usually have a clue what's going on, and there's so many ads I'd miss half the race. I get the British 5live audio from the F1 app, which despite its constant hallelujah Hamilton gospel manages to better reflect what's happening in the race.

Advertisement

#40 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:30

You guys know about the NBC Sports Live Extra app on Apple TV, iOS devices or from your browser right? As long as you have a subscription for TV, you can validate it using your cable/satellite login on the app and get FREE access to every practice session live or replay, and for the race you have 3 camera angles. Main feed with commentary, onboard, and pit + replay. For FP1 and FP3 there are no commentary or commercials, just pure and glorious turbocharger muffled F1 engine noises. 

I watch the race with the main tv and 2 small monitors with the onboard and pit feeds (both commercial and commentary free), plus an iPad with live timing set to about 30s back for the delays. DVRs are so 2010... As long as you have good internet bandwidth!  :p

Edited by rage2, 09 July 2016 - 01:44.

#41 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:40

upu80tI.jpg

LJuIA6C.jpg

7j5Frgt.jpg

OxTO61a.jpg

Y4H9CFK.jpg

#42 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:48

You guys know about the NBC Sports Live Extra app on Apple TV, iOS devices or from your browser right? As long as you have a subscription for TV, you can validate it using your cable/satellite login on the app and get access to every practice session live or replay, and for the race you have 3 camera angles. Main feed with commentary, onboard, and pit + replay. For FP1 and FP3 there is no commentary or commercials, just pure and glorious turbocharger muffled F1 engine noises. 

I watch the race with the main tv and 2 small monitors with the onboard and pit feeds, plus an iPad with live timing set to about 30s back for the delays. DVRs are so 2010...

FP2 was only on Live Extra during what should have been the live broadcast.  It was to be repeated at noon pacific on NBCSN but was preempted by showing an empty, drying Cup track with filler interviews. At that time FP2 wasn't available on demand. Typically anything that is to be aired on the network isn't available on demand until after the event was aired on the network.  It's still not available as a full event replay.

Give 'em an earful...

http://nbcsportsgrou...com/contact-us/

@NBCSN on Twitter

#43 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:57

I think you have it backwards ..... the situation is because F1 isn't popular, not why. NBCSN just follows the money trail (it is commercial TV after all) and F1 rates behind NASCAR and even the TDF. Blame your fellow Americans for the situation, or F1 for not making the effort. I've learned the hard way that F1 is low priority in the USA, and as such gets bumped around alot by NBC. It was better in Canada (carried by TSN), but not much. At least this time it was only practice.

The issue was holding the slot for a rain delay that wasn't going go away.  The issue is they paid and arm and a fin for the Cup rights and need to get as much screen time for it regardless of if the Cup event is rained out.  Instead of watching inspection trucks circle the track and getting driver interviews about hot dogs and corn dogs, they could have cut to what was supposed to be on rather than try and kill time waiting for a session that wasn't going to happen.

#44 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:05

TSN coverage is amazing this year. 1.5 hours of pre race, 1 hour of post race, pretty much the entire sky coverage every single race. 

#45 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:32

Based on what I've read from other people, they have FP2 up on the NBCSN app on ipad, but not on the website. On the website they only have FP1. Weird that they would put it up on one and not the other. They really suck at having their **** together.

#46 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:49

Based on what I've read from other people, they have FP2 up on the NBCSN app on ipad, but not on the website. On the website they only have FP1. Weird that they would put it up on one and not the other. They really suck at having their **** together.

I just looked on my phone, it's there.  When I saw they were in a rain hold for Cup I checked the web and the Apple TV app and it wasn't there.  I didn't check the phone until you posted that.

#47 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:23

Just checked the NBCSN app for Windows, and they don't have any full event replays posted yet for this weekend. So, three different viewing methods, and three completely different offerings. Well done. They also have everything from Austria, except the GP, while they still show everything from Canada and Baku, including the GPs. 

:drunk:  :drunk:  :drunk:

****'s broke, yo.

Edited by AustinF1, 09 July 2016 - 03:27.

#48 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:36

Just checked the NBCSN app for Windows, and they don't have any full event replays posted yet for this weekend. So, three different viewing methods, and three completely different offerings. Well done. They also have everything from Austria, except the GP, while they still show everything from Canada and Baku, including the GPs. 

:drunk:   :drunk:   :drunk:

****'s broke, yo.

I agree that it is just a guess as to what will be provided when. 

Edited by BalanceUT, 09 July 2016 - 03:37.

#49 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:43

TSN coverage is amazing this year. 1.5 hours of pre race, 1 hour of post race, pretty much the entire sky coverage every single race. 

Never got to see the Sky coverage, when I moved it was still the BBC.

#50 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:45

The issue was holding the slot for a rain delay that wasn't going go away.  The issue is they paid and arm and a fin for the Cup rights and need to get as much screen time for it regardless of if the Cup event is rained out.  Instead of watching inspection trucks circle the track and getting driver interviews about hot dogs and corn dogs, they could have cut to what was supposed to be on rather than try and kill time waiting for a session that wasn't going to happen.

Like I said, it's all about money.