Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

'Out of control' Hamilton is wrecking his own career and legacy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:40

http://www.dailymail...HAN-McEVOY.html

It IS interesting to see Hamilton struggling to get the better of Rosberg at Mercedes. At McLaren, the whole team was built around him, but it was never enough for him. He's often accused of buying his own hype, and for a while he definitely saw himself as the 'new senna'. It will be interesting to see how he develops these next few years. A few more Rosberg wins, and the paranoia we saw at McLaren might set back in. I reckon he'll decide he 'wants in' on the McLaren-Honda deal in a few years, to emulate his hero Senna, and will try and have it seen as a huge 'returning of the golden boy' when it happens.

Advertisement

#2 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:44

I refuse to read anything from the Daily Mail but fair play to them their terrible articles do seem to get them what they want... attention.

#3 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:45

Daily Mail in publishing load of old bollocks shocker. Again.

#4 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:46

Why is he out of control? :rotfl:

#5 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:47

Why is he out of control? :rotfl:

He has a dog.

#6 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:47

My god. What is it with the British media?

Why don't they question if Kimi being drunk is taking away from his racing? Or if Webber falling off his bicycle is a problem?

The dude is 28 years old and famous. He likes music and he wanted a dog. People blame modern F1 drivers of being dull drones. Well here is someone showing a bit of interest in a world outside of racing, and this is how the media reacts.

I don't get it.

#7 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,633 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:52

One website is all you need:

http://www.shouldireadthedailymail.com

#8 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

We need a rule for the forum that you are not allowed to quote or link anything from the daily mail. It is as representative from a sporting point of view as cosmo.

Edited by syolase, 29 May 2013 - 19:54.

#9 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Daily Mail ?

You would extract more F1 news from reading the Beano.......

#10 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:53

The hype is what turned me off to Hamilton after 2008. People on another forum would constantly talk about how he was the GOAT and there was no doubt he would have more WDC's that Schumacher in X amount of years. You don't hear the GOAT talk anymore.

Still. I think he is one of the top current drivers and you have to separate the driver from some of his well meaning but over the top fans who end up turning you against him more often than not. I think the sport owes him a thank you. When he arrived there was a deep rooted feeling that points were everything and playing it safe to bring home the points was the status quo. He wanted to pass people because he thought it was racing and it was fun. Eventually people got tired of being embarrassed by him dive bombing up the inside and fought back.

He isn't the driver many thought but now to many people are trying to downplay the talent he does have.

JMHO but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Edited by Watkins74, 29 May 2013 - 19:54.

#11 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

That's McEvoy :rolleyes: . Dubious company to keep. There's no connection between Lewis' performances and his cultural tastes that alienate a certain type of bigot.

TBH tattoos, bulldogs and hip-hop alienate me a bit but I can see what's underneath.

I'm surprised you and McEvoy didn't mention religion as the instrument of his impending downfall.

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

It has merits, but the article is out of date. Smarter people than the Daily Mail article were saying this in the spring of 2011.

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 19:57

Now I have as much disgust for Fuller and co as the next person, but Hamilton would not be getting this sort of press if he was white.

#14 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:02

Now I have as much disgust for Fuller and co as the next person, but Hamilton would not be getting this sort of press if he was white.

I didn't want to be the first to say it. But I wanted to say it.

The EU seems to struggle with diversity in their sports. They don't understand that a young black man may like hip-hop and would like to hang out with those in the industry, or that young people period like tattoos and dogs.

What a thug:

Posted Image

Ooops, we mean, lovable old Kimi, what a delightful break from the norm!

#15 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:08

Allowing people to take pictures of him, signing autographs to fans, filming a piece for Sky Sports, and owning a dog?

He's a maniac.

#16 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:09

where is the photoshop of a druggie Hamilton? Seriously... out of control.... look at Lindsay Lohan look at Hamilton and say again Hamilton would be out of control.... he is more eccentric than others in the Paddock, but not out of control... and I'm not even a Hamilton fan o.o

#17 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:10

don't be daft, there were similar articles about how Button's "playboy ways" were ruining his career. Hacks care about sensationalizing stuff no matter what color they come in.

#18 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:12

I didn't want to be the first to say it. But I wanted to say it.

The EU seems to struggle with diversity in their sports. They don't understand that a young black man may like hip-hop and would like to hang out with those in the industry, or that young people period like tattoos and dogs.

I don't think it's the EU in general. There are many people in Europe who are really not like that. The Daily Mail does cater to the types that you are talking about but if you read other British papers you'll see a big difference.

#19 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:15

I don't think it's the EU in general. There are many people in Europe who are really not like that. The Daily Mail does cater to the types that you are talking about but if you read other British papers you'll see a big difference.

You are probably right. We just hear a lot of bad stuff about the treatment of minorities in sporting events in the EU. I know most fans aren't part of the problem, but there is something amiss.

Advertisement

#20 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:19

This is far the easiest invitation to write several pages of what I don't like about Hamilton. Perhaps shorter will be what I do like about Hamilton.

I am experiencing pain. Dog? No, that face remains me of someone. Earrings? No.

I will think about it.

#21 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:20

"dailymail" , what is that got anything to do with formula 1

#22 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:25

The hype is what turned me off to Hamilton after 2008. People on another forum would constantly talk about how he was the GOAT and there was no doubt he would have more WDC's that Schumacher in X amount of years. You don't hear the GOAT talk anymore.

I have seen the acronym GOAT before, but I don't know what it stands for - unless it is crude, can you enlighten me?

#23 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:26

Greatest
Of
All
Thyme

Edited by SR388, 29 May 2013 - 20:26.

#24 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:27

I have seen the acronym GOAT before, but I don't know what it stands for - unless it is crude, can you enlighten me?

Greatest Of All Time

#25 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:27

Talking about Roscoe, Lewis' dog, he's not the 1st Dog parading in F1 http://www.formula1....r/2013/802.html

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:28

Greatest Of All Time, iirc first applied to motocross hero and middling NASCAR driver Ricky Carmichael, then transferred to Valentino Rossi via Colin Edwards.

I like it because it disregards history in the way that earth-shattering racing talents should do.

Edited by Risil, 29 May 2013 - 20:29.

#27 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:29

Talking about Roscoe, Lewis' dog, he's not the 1st Dog parading in F1 http://www.formula1....r/2013/802.html

The problem with Roscoe is his face is the polar opposite of aerodynamic efficiency. That is surely costing Hamilton OVER 0.2 per lap. Must get rid of the dog.

(for any crazy people, I actually think the puppy is cute and no I don't care if Lewis has a dog or 20)

#28 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:30

"Roscoe, his puppy dog, is Hamilton's ultimate symbol of freedom; a V-sign to convention."

I stopped reading at that point. What a pile of shit.

Edited by MrPodium, 29 May 2013 - 20:32.

#29 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:37

Greatest
Of
All
Thyme

Thank you all!

#30 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:39

I don't think a dog is more of a distraction than a girlfriend, and I don't see anyone objecting to drivers' having their girlfriends around.
But I remember how a few months ago, James Allen implied basically the same thing about Tom Shine and Lewis's objectives.

#31 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:42

It annoys me how mclaren seems almost non existent since he left!

#32 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:49

Lol at The Daily Mail in general and a huge ****ing head scratch at this article. So Lewis is fourth in the WDC ahead of his team mate, has two podiums, two fifths and a fourth to his name, a pole and he is in danger of 'wrecking his career and legacy'? Seriously that's ridiculous. Lewis is not on top of his game atm but he was .091 behind Nico in Monaco and should have finished 2nd, when he is on top of his game we will see just how stupid this ****ing article is.

#33 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:49

Probably true. Earrings, dogs, tatoos, singerstar girlfriend, rapper mates, secret recordings of underground music, gangbanger tweets, hooning, flashy cars, modeling non-matching clothes, bringing that craziness into the paddock.

He'll end up in rehab with Bieber. :D

#34 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 20:50

If it was a kid not a dog (and it is clearly a trial kid for Hamilton and his good lady) then would anyone complain if he brought them along to race weekends, or say that he was stupid for having one in case they got sick. Talking of which, surely the fact he has been in a pretty conventional, relatively long-term relationship shows that he is far from spiralling out of control - hardly a footballer is he?

Hamilton gets a lot of criticism for his personal life and I am amazed how many racing fans I come across in the UK who will say "I love F1, but not Hamilton". I don't think it is racism per se, but more classism - he is not the polite, refined middle class driver that the fans expect to see in F1 and people (like the hate mongering DM) will jump at any opportunity to criticise him.

#35 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:03

Bilgiferous drivel, not to say poppycock. Jenson Button got this sort of treatment, Beckham gets it all the time, as does Rooney. Andy Murray was slagged off until he won his first big tournament - The British press is known for spending its brains searching for the clay in the feet of sporting heroes.

For a crap newspaper, the Daily Mail carries off a remarkable number of press awards year after year after year - How many of Stephen Lawrence's murderers would be in jail if it weren't for the DM, not a difficult question, the answer is none.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 29 May 2013 - 21:04.

#36 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:20

Bilgiferous drivel, not to say poppycock. Jenson Button got this sort of treatment, Beckham gets it all the time, as does Rooney. Andy Murray was slagged off until he won his first big tournament - The British press is known for spending its brains searching for the clay in the feet of sporting heroes.

For a crap newspaper, the Daily Mail carries off a remarkable number of press awards year after year after year - How many of Stephen Lawrence's murderers would be in jail if it weren't for the DM, not a difficult question, the answer is none.

:up: The race card is almost always trotted out eventually, its as predictable as a Rosberg pole.

#37 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:28

Some of the criticism of Lewis is fair. Some of it has an undertone of race. Is anyone writing about Fernandos tattoos? He looks just as ridiculous. I can't quite put my finger on it but there seems to be some subtext to the disdain people have for Lewis's hiphop lifestyle. It's disapproval more than just criticism.

And Daily Mail awards, jesus wept.

Their Stephen Lawrence coverage was great. But the rest of the time they seem to abuse the credibility that gives them. http://www.guardian....ame?INTCMP=SRCH

#38 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:37

Nah, JB gets the opposite, the easiest of easy rides. He got a bit of well-deserved criticism in 2001 for not understanding the work ethic. His many girls were never mentioned, and his flat lie in Turkey 2010 was barely covered at all. Can you imagine if Hamilton did the philandering that JB and DC did? It would be a mega scandal.

There's a big difference between a paper and individual journos. McEvoy has an agenda. An ugly agenda.

#39 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:42

Jenson Button got this sort of treatment, Beckham gets it all the time, as does Rooney. Andy Murray was slagged off until he won his first big tournament - The British press is known for spending its brains searching for the clay in the feet of sporting heroes.

No arguments there.

But the mix of moral panic over his association with African-American culture and patronising him like he's got the psychological complexity of a three-year-old is something different.

"as one who admires Hamilton as a driver of brilliance and recognises his essentially good nature"

"save him from his own recklessness"

"Hamilton, 28, would no doubt be happy to see himself"

"Hamilton, it can be safely assumed, was attracted to the slick, sunglasses-wearing Shine because of his links to the States"

"will Hamilton not be distracted by the dog"

"revelling in the freedom afforded by the company of a convicted felon, a skin artist and a bulldog puppy."

I mean, wtf. This is how you'd expect some Victorian to talk about someone he'd brought back with him from his last trip to the Indies. Like he needs to be saved from himself, because god knows he won't be able to do much good without the white man's hand on his shoulder.

Also he should show some freaking respect to Ice T. You wouldn't talk about George Harrison like that.

Edited by Risil, 29 May 2013 - 21:49.

Advertisement

#40 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:43

Some of the criticism of Lewis is fair. Some of it has an undertone of race. Is anyone writing about Fernandos tattoos? He looks just as ridiculous. I can't quite put my finger on it but there seems to be some subtext to the disdain people have for Lewis's hiphop lifestyle. It's disapproval more than just criticism.

And Daily Mail awards, jesus wept.

Their Stephen Lawrence coverage was great. But the rest of the time they seem to abuse the credibility that gives them. http://www.guardian....ame?INTCMP=SRCH

I think it is about culture that has foundations in race.

I mean, who gives two shiny shits if he has tattoos or not?

#41 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:45

The article does not have much merit IMO. I did suggest (fairly obvious) parallels between Lewis and David Beckham in a previous thread. Despite some periods of criticism, Beckham is a popular figure who is respected for his career. The main reason Lewis is susceptible to this kind of negative publicity is the over-the-top hype from his first F1 seasons.

#42 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:46

The comment about Beckham is amusing, last time I checked he'd done ok...

In fact any comparison of Lewis and Beckham I find amusing because if there is one shining example of how you can have your 'brand' or whatever but not allow it to detract from your dedication to your profession it is him.

#43 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 21:52

The comment about Beckham is amusing, last time I checked he'd done ok...

In fact any comparison of Lewis and Beckham I find amusing because if there is one shining example of how you can have your 'brand' or whatever but not allow it to detract from your dedication to your profession it is him.

If you are referring to my comment, or even if you are not, I fully agree with you.

#44 baddog

baddog

• 29,739 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:23

What a lot of hyperbolic nonsense.. so the guy is enjoying his life. What a crime.

(And why is he automatically supposed to just beat Rosberg? Could it not be that Roberg is actually as good as him?)

#45 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:05

trollfest

#46 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:18

:up:

Article of faith #1: Criticism of Hamilton is racism.
Article of faith #2: The criticism of Hamilton exposes the EU sporting scene to be receptive to racism.
Article of faith #3: In fact, the case of Hamilton exposes the whole EU seems to be receptive to racism.

And all of this just to make Hamilton look a little less unable to match Rosberg's current speed.

Gladly, I have never heard such pathetic excuses from the LH himself or I would have to change my views on him.

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:38

No, some criticism of Hamilton is very valid. Even some of the criticism of his lifestyle choice. But it should be about performance not whether you like what he chooses to do.

I'm personally waiting a bit longer to judge his Mercedes term. If being more free and more happy leads to more success than it did doing the same things whilst driving for McLaren, I say party on.

#48 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:40

:up:

Article of faith #1: Criticism of Hamilton is racism.
Article of faith #2: The criticism of Hamilton exposes the EU sporting scene to be receptive to racism.
Article of faith #3: In fact, the case of Hamilton exposes the whole EU seems to be receptive to racism.

And all of this just to make Hamilton look a little less unable to match Rosberg's current speed.

Gladly, I have never heard such pathetic excuses from the LH himself or I would have to change my views on him.

Step #1 of those defending the British media: State that they have always treated their own like ****.
Step #2: Mock the idea that the criticism might actually be racist.
Step #3: Ignore, http://www.timesofis...t-arson-attack/, http://www.lowellsun...s-european-game, http://www.timesofis...s-a-tough-goal/, Posted Image.

#49 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 23:45

Step #1 of those defending the British media: State that they have always treated their own like ****.
Step #3: Ignore, http://www.timesofis...t-arson-attack/, http://www.lowellsun...s-european-game, http://www.timesofis...s-a-tough-goal/, Posted Image.

And this:

http://sports.yahoo....-170941632.html
http://sports.yahoo....-105359274.html - heaven forbid someone walk off for what is right
http://www.reuters.c...E9400OC20130501
http://www.turkish-f...ead.php?id=4600
http://www.globalpos...sm-greece-italy

But who am I to question how well Europeans deal with minorities?

#50 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 00:00

Step #4 purchase map, find out Israel isn't in Europe, stare in awe