Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Bring back 1 circuit from the last 20 years...

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

Poll: . (428 member(s) have cast votes)

Which circuit would you bring back?

1. Kyalami (14 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

2. Donnington (16 votes [3.74%])

Percentage of vote: 3.74%

3. Imola (71 votes [16.59%])

Percentage of vote: 16.59%

4. Magny Cours (23 votes [5.37%])

Percentage of vote: 5.37%

5. Estoril (14 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

6. Adelaide (32 votes [7.48%])

Percentage of vote: 7.48%

7. Aida (1 votes [0.23%])

Percentage of vote: 0.23%

8. Jerez (1 votes [0.23%])

9. Buenos Aires (5 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

10. Hockenheim (old) (103 votes [24.07%])

Percentage of vote: 24.07%

11. A1 Ring (70 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

12. Indianapolis (12 votes [2.80%])

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

13. Istanbul Park (57 votes [13.32%])

Percentage of vote: 13.32%

14. Fuji (8 votes [1.87%])

Percentage of vote: 1.87%

15. Valencia (1 votes [0.23%])

Which circuit would you get rid of?

1. Albert Park (5 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

2. Sepang (2 votes [0.47%])

Percentage of vote: 0.47%

3. Shanghai (7 votes [1.64%])

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

4. Sakhir (60 votes [14.02%])

Percentage of vote: 14.02%

5. Catalunya (49 votes [11.45%])

Percentage of vote: 11.45%

6. Monaco (26 votes [6.07%])

Percentage of vote: 6.07%

7. Montreal (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Silverstone (6 votes [1.40%])

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

9. Nurburgring (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Hockenheim (new) (39 votes [9.11%])

Percentage of vote: 9.11%

11. Hungaroring (25 votes [5.84%])

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

12. Spa (2 votes [0.47%])

13. Monza (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Singapore (16 votes [3.74%])

Percentage of vote: 3.74%

15. Suzuka (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Yeongam (95 votes [22.20%])

Percentage of vote: 22.20%

17. Budh (33 votes [7.71%])

Percentage of vote: 7.71%

18. Abu Dhabi (61 votes [14.25%])

Percentage of vote: 14.25%

19. COTA (2 votes [0.47%])

20. Interlagos (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:50

Imola In
Catalunya Out

Advertisement

#102 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:29

Kyalami
Donnington
Imola
Magny Cours
Estoril
Adelaide
Aida
Jerez
Buenos Aires
Hockenheim (old)
A1 Ring
Indianapolis
Istanbul Park
Fuji
Valencia

You know, that isnt too bad a list to run a championship series on.

Edited by teejay, 02 June 2013 - 07:29.

#103 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:18

Kyalami
Donnington
Imola
Magny Cours
Estoril
Adelaide
Aida
Jerez
Buenos Aires
Hockenheim (old)
A1 Ring
Indianapolis
Istanbul Park
Fuji
Valencia

You know, that isnt too bad a list to run a championship series on.

:up: Put them in an order something like this and you'd have a pretty good 15 race championship.

Kyalami
Buenos Aires
Aida
Imola
Istanbul Park
Indianapolis
Valencia
Magny-Cours
Donington Park
Hockenheim (old)
A1 Ring (Red Bull Ring now)
Estoril
Jerez
Fuji
Adelaide

#104 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,716 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:57

Kyalami in - I live in South Africa so yeah otherwise Imola

The Kyalami of 20 years ago had already been neutered though. The true Kyalami was indeed great.

#105 darkkis

darkkis

• 777 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:49

Really is that part of the debate? Nothing a dozer and a road building crew could not fix in a few weeks.

Totally unrealistic. It's just all forest now.

#106 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:07

In: Hockenheim (old), A1 Ring
Out: Hockenheim (new), India

#107 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:44

One practical difficulty is that several of the "old" circuits either no longer exist (e.g. old Hockenheim) or are no longer classified as Grade 1 (suitable for F1 Grands Prix) by the FIA. Only Fuji, Imola, Indianapolis, Magny Cours, Red Bull Ring, Istanbul and Valencia are currently Grade 1.

#108 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,030 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:47

In
Picked: A1 Ring. It has a deceptively simple layout, but I quite enjoyed the races there. No doubt I've forgotten the dreary parts, but racing in the mountains? Why not!
Considered: Hockenheim (old). I figured I'd pick this, but without any meaningful engine development what'd be the point in all these straights? Besides, it's all been demolished!

Out
Picked: Monaco. I should probably just stop watching the 'events' here, but since I don't I end up frustrated each year at the ridiculousness of coming there with F1 cars.
Considered: Abu Dhabi, terrible track in a location that's dubious at best. South Korea is rather lacklustre as well. It doesn't help that the Koreans have seemingly abandoned the project: it still looked like a building site last year.

#109 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:57

Further to my earlier post about Grade 1 circuits, there are two "old" tracks not on the list of possibles, that do have Grade 1 status: Mugello in Italy and Paul Ricard in France.

#110 xman

xman

• 776 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:16

Magny Cours for the track layout, not so much for the facilities there.

Bahrain is pretty useless. Empty grandstands are just embarrasing.

#111 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,884 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:27

There are several good ones on that list, but really its a no brainer..

It has to be old Hockenheim!

The new track is abysmal, they got rid of the best parts and kept the boring parts. Watching the cars around there in the 80's was epic. it was probably my favourite track of the year.

#112 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 198 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:48

Out is Hungaroring, it always produces bad races. And the last sector is just ugh :down: It's going to be horrible this year...

Just watched the F3 and DTM race and the Red Bull ring lookes really nice!

Edited by mangeliiito, 02 June 2013 - 12:49.

#113 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 13:07

Indy. Back in. COTA out.

What are you smoking man? You have a wonderful proper racing circuit with lots of interesting corners, and a shit gymkana lazily built inside an oval. And you want that crap back?

#114 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:34

The only problem with a few places on the list is that they were themselves neutered replacements for some really majestic tracks. The Kyalami of 1993 was nothing like the original masterpiece. I remember Road & Track's journalist saying "They ripped the guts out of it." Imola has been ruined with unnecessary chicanes. The A1-Ring was a 50% scale version of the Osterreichring (Alain Prost's favourite). Even Interlagos is a light beer substitute for the original.

The Tilke tracks are awful, but it's kind of insane the tamed versions of legendary tracks were so much better.

#115 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 1,870 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:50

The only problem with a few places on the list is that they were themselves neutered replacements for some really majestic tracks. The Kyalami of 1993 was nothing like the original masterpiece. I remember Road & Track's journalist saying "They ripped the guts out of it." Imola has been ruined with unnecessary chicanes. The A1-Ring was a 50% scale version of the Osterreichring (Alain Prost's favourite). Even Interlagos is a light beer substitute for the original.

Indeed - even the "old" Hockenheim that so many posters in this thread have the hots for, was drastically tamed: first after Jim Clark's fatal crash in 1968, by the insertion of chicanes halfway along both the long forest straights; and second, following Patrick Depailler's death in 1980, by the insertion of another chicane at the Ostkurve, ruining the only challenging corner on the entire track.

#116 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,764 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:58

The Indian track just has absolutely nothing to redeem it. Not a single original idea, corner, atmosphere, anything. Inexcusable given that's only been around two seasons. Even Abu Dhabi is shiny at night and Korea is amusingly rough around the edges.

Edited by Disgrace, 02 June 2013 - 16:59.

#117 ANF

ANF

• 661 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 17:23

There are several good ones on that list, but really its a no brainer..

It has to be old Hockenheim!

The new track is abysmal, they got rid of the best parts and kept the boring parts. Watching the cars around there in the 80's was epic. it was probably my favourite track of the year.

And even in the 90s. I'll never forget the finish of the 1996 GP.

#118 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 17:25

Just to make the point, here are the old vs. new:

Kyalami:
https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

Osterreichring/A1-Ring:

Interlagos (I can't find a real life onboard of the original Interlagos):

#119 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 17:29

The new track is abysmal, they got rid of the best parts and kept the boring parts.

The other way actually. T1 and the Stadium section (especially the fast entry right hander) were the good bits. They kept them.

They just got rid of the repetitive and stupid straight-slow chicane endless sequence. It was iconic and the environment unique, but from a layout POV it was really, really shit. Had Tilke built such a thing I don´t even want to think what would you guys say :rolleyes:

Funny you guys cry about chicanes spoiling circuits yet a section full of them is "the best part" of an old circuit. Be honest with yourself guys, you liked it because the circuit was on the calendar when you were young.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 02 June 2013 - 17:37.

Advertisement

#120 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,422 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 17:36

And even in the 90s. I'll never forget the finish of the 1996 GP.

Thanks for that. I think 1996 has some really great forgotten moments. :up:

One thing about those long straights. They'd have to do something about the rev-limiters on the current cars to have something like that today. Too often nowadays we get cars topping out on long straights.

#121 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 19:47

The other way actually. T1 and the Stadium section (especially the fast entry right hander) were the good bits. They kept them.

They just got rid of the repetitive and stupid straight-slow chicane endless sequence. It was iconic and the environment unique, but from a layout POV it was really, really shit. Had Tilke built such a thing I don´t even want to think what would you guys say :rolleyes:

Funny you guys cry about chicanes spoiling circuits yet a section full of them is "the best part" of an old circuit. Be honest with yourself guys, you liked it because the circuit was on the calendar when you were young.

Personally I disagree. The appeal came from the BIG SPEED aspect. Monza is now the only track in F1 where you really get to see the cars stretch their legs now.

The FIA has decreed that all circuits must be of standard dimensions and an average speed of not more than 230 km/h or so. The outliers are pressured to comply, or pay more, so they can stay on the schedule. At this rate, the Tilke tracks and Monaco will be the only ones left by 2020.

#122 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,842 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 20:31

Hockenheim went from being a unique high speed circuit to just another high downforce Tilke-o-Dome with a hairpin after a long straight.

#123 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,298 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 20:47

Be honest with yourself guys, you liked it because the circuit was on the calendar when you were young.

I never saw a race on it, and I still want it back.

I like tracks for their scenery and the challenge they pose almost as much as I do for the racing they create. This is why I don't mind Abu Dhabi and Monaco--they're both unique tracks that are, in my opinion, just fun to watch the cars drive on. Monaco needs little explanation, because it's been around for so long and I'm sure I'd only be repeating what someone else has once said if I tried to defend it. Abu Dhabi, though, hasn't. It's unique to me because of the day-to-night transition, and it brings that 'into the darkness' sensation that I dearly love about endurance racing over to F1 quite nicely. Could the layout be better? Probably so, but the scenery around the track itself is so futuristic-looking to me that I can deal with even a sub-par layout. If something better comes along, then I'll probably jump ship--that happened with Singapore (Abu Dhabi arrived)--but for the time being, I love that we have at least one track like Abu Dhabi on the calendar and I certainly don't consider it a waste of a race slot. In terms of races I look forward to, it's up there with Monaco, Brazil, Belgium, Italy, Japan, and Australia for me.

#124 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 21:04

To each their own, but personally, the time of day being interesting doesn't make a race through a car park with a hotel that flashes different colours a particularly nice Grand Prix. Given the amount of money and available space they had, I can't help but think they really screwed the pooch on that track, but all of the new tracks in the Middle East and Asia suffer from that.

#125 ocp

ocp

• 143 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 21:30

Well, looking at those older videos, you know what I miss?

I miss the "sticker" on the tyre saying it is brand new.
Safety reasons I guess...

#126 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 21:33

Well, looking at those older videos, you know what I miss?

I miss the "sticker" on the tyre saying it is brand new.
Safety reasons I guess...

I miss the sound of those gearshifts. It's sort of like a drum roll in the middle of a good song.

#127 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 22:26

Personally I disagree. The appeal came from the BIG SPEED aspect. Monza is now the only track in F1 where you really get to see the cars stretch their legs now.

Fair enough. Watching a F1 car down a straight looks way less exciting to me than watching it around an interesting corner. No matter how high that km/h number popping up is. So I don´t share that aproach. If I liked Monza at some point for it was for the shots of the cars flying through the second chicane curbs and the direction changes in Ascari, whatever number pops up down the main straight, I couldn´t care less.

I like tracks for their scenery and the challenge they pose almost as much as I do for the racing they create.

Again, fair enough. But I care about the layout mostly. Turkey is a brilliant layout but the atmosphere is shit, yet I loved it. Again, different approachs.

On the "challenge" side I´ll disagree... I don´t think old Hockenheim was more of a challenge than the new one, or more than any other circuit for that matter. Why? The circuit had the biggest % of time with the driver not having to do anything at all of the full calendar.

#128 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 549 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 00:01

Fair enough. Watching a F1 car down a straight looks way less exciting to me than watching it around an interesting corner. No matter how high that km/h number popping up is. So I don´t share that aproach. If I liked Monza at some point for it was for the shots of the cars flying through the second chicane curbs and the direction changes in Ascari, whatever number pops up down the main straight, I couldn´t care less.

Oh, I like interesting corners, I just find most new tracks have none. Multiple apexes in third gear through acres of run off don't make a very interesting corner for me. I'm not trying to say you feel it does, just that it seems to be what Tilke has to offer.

Edited by juicy sushi, 03 June 2013 - 00:02.

#129 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 00:11

Though I took the pragmatic approach to the choices and replaced one Australian circuit for another - Adelaide was a supreme street circuit, Melbourne is appallingly bland - I would love the liberty to say hell to the modern safety obsession and choose a circuit for spectator selfish reasoning and go back more than 20 years. For me Ostereichring was the ultimate challenge of car control and bravery and a beautiful scenic setting.

Another circuit not included in the list which is great viewing is Watkins Glen and how about Clermont Ferrand for driver skill factor? Besides, France should have a GP!

#130 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:46

Old Hock was good, different challenge though, one of the pure high speed circuits. It did produce processions. But it is better as a circuit than the new config.

I say bring back Imola, throw out Abu Dhabi.

#131 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:45

I honestly cannot believe 54 people have voted to, not only bring Imola back, but as the ONE circuit the would bring back after all these choices.

Did all you people actually watched Imola races back in the day? Is this some kind of bizzare nostalgia? Do you actually remember the borefests that were Imola GPs? Is this about some kind of tambourelo fetish?

Can someone actually explain why they want Imola back?

#132 Flynnie

Flynnie

• 270 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:09

Imola is a hell of a lot of fun to drive, it's got some great flow even with the chicanes. It was an aesthetically pretty circuit, remember the white kerbs?

The races were never interesting, but then again races aren't terribly interesting on the Tilkedromes and at least Imola looks nice.

Consider me guilty as charged when it comes to circuits on the calendar when I was young (so 95-97) but the speed of Hockenheim brought something to the table very few other circuits did. Watching cars go as fast as they went all season, then tiptoeing through the chicanes and even better, tiptoeing through some interesting corners like the Agipkurve or the Sachskurve.

#133 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,872 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:24

Some older tracks did not produce great racing, but at least they were special. Even a track where it's difficult to pass is a different challenge from all the new tracks with the required 1km-straight-hairpin section.
All the new permanent track are almost the same, it's just the order between the turns that differs, what's the point ?

#134 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:48

This should be a no brainer.

In: Instanbul
Out: Yeongam

#135 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,842 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:17

My calendar:
01 - Melbourne
02 - Shanghai
03 - Istambul
04 - Barcelona
- normal two week gap with testing
05 - Monaco
06 - Austin
07 - Montreal
08 - Paul Ricard (1985 layout) or A1 Ring
- normal two week gap with testing
09 - Silverstone (every layout change since 1985 has made it worse, but it's still fast and fun)
10 - Hockenheim (still better than Nurburgring even if it's typically Tilkish)
11 - Hungaroring
- three week summer break, no testing
12 - Spa
13 - Monza
- two week gap with testing
14 - Singapore
15 - Suzuka
16 - Abu Dhabi (one mid east race is acceptable)
17 - Interlagos

There you go. 17 GPs plus three test sessions, that's 20 weeks of "activity". Which is enough to not overcrowd the calendar and generate enough interest to keep F1 moving and on the radars during the year. And I think it has a nice balance between European and oversea GPs. I'm just not sure between Paul Ricard and A1 Ring.

Edited by Atreiu, 03 June 2013 - 15:41.

#136 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:10

I honestly cannot believe 54 people have voted to, not only bring Imola back, but as the ONE circuit the would bring back after all these choices.

Did all you people actually watched Imola races back in the day? Is this some kind of bizzare nostalgia? Do you actually remember the borefests that were Imola GPs? Is this about some kind of tambourelo fetish?

Can someone actually explain why they want Imola back?

Because I remember the last two races there with those monster battles between Michael and Fernando. They were edge of your seat stuff, and even watching them now, they still retain the excitement.

Also, if you look at one of my earlier posts in this topic, I posted a picture of what the Imola circuit layout is now. They made a big change that took away one of the chicanes.

#137 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:15

I'd like to go on record as saying that the A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring is complete shit when you do a straight comparison to the Osterreichring. That was a real circuit. The A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring is a succession of dull corners that retains little of the appeal of the original circuit other than it just happens to be on the same real estate. Of course though, I will be biased considering my user name.;)

#138 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,306 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:16

Imola.

#139 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:20

Oh, I like interesting corners, I just find most new tracks have none. Multiple apexes in third gear through acres of run off don't make a very interesting corner for me. I'm not trying to say you feel it does, just that it seems to be what Tilke has to offer.

Can´t agree, Malaysia is a masterpiece. The full place. It´s a Tilke circuit. Same for Turkey. Of course there are loads of interesting sections in "new" circuits, let´s not stick silly generalizing tags. There´s plenty of dull stuff like the one you mention too (India S2, Korea S3) but then again poor circuits and sections is nothing we hadn´t seen before.

Advertisement

#140 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:26

Because I remember the last two races there with those monster battles between Michael and Fernando. They were edge of your seat stuff, and even watching them now, they still retain the excitement.

Only interesting bit was second stint of the 2006 race. With a pitstop ahead, the result was indeed in the air. Even then, I expected Renault to win easily, and they only missed a victory because their strategists went full retard.

The rest, I was 90% sure of the outcome. That 10% being the chance of whoever was in front throwing it off the road, or whoever was behind making a suicidal attempt and causing a crash.

Latest Imola versions were a bit like Hungary: excellent circuit to lap alone and have fun with the constant flow of the corners, horrible circuit to watch an actual race.

#141 911

• 2,207 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:35

I'd like to go on record as saying that the A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring is complete shit when you do a straight comparison to the Osterreichring. That was a real circuit. The A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring is a succession of dull corners that retains little of the appeal of the original circuit other than it just happens to be on the same real estate. Of course though, I will be biased considering my user name.;)

Yes, the old Osterriechring (1987 and earlier) was quite a circuit -> pure speed!

Edited by 911, 03 June 2013 - 20:36.

#142 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,203 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:37

I'll always support more races in Europe/America and less in Asia.

It's all about the atmosphere for me

#143 SR388

SR388

• 3,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:40

What are you smoking man? You have a wonderful proper racing circuit with lots of interesting corners, and a shit gymkana lazily built inside an oval. And you want that crap back?

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=6296424

#144 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:12

Only interesting bit was second stint of the 2006 race. With a pitstop ahead, the result was indeed in the air. Even then, I expected Renault to win easily, and they only missed a victory because their strategists went full retard.

The rest, I was 90% sure of the outcome. That 10% being the chance of whoever was in front throwing it off the road, or whoever was behind making a suicidal attempt and causing a crash.

Latest Imola versions were a bit like Hungary: excellent circuit to lap alone and have fun with the constant flow of the corners, horrible circuit to watch an actual race.

It would still be better than the F1 race that takes place in the Korean wasteland. ;)

Imola also had a phenomenal crowd atmosphere that simply wasn't had anywhere else. Back years ago, I recall the tifosi sitting across the top of the billboards that straddled the circuit. Of course that was when the fans had greater access around the circuit. Who can forget the roar of the crowd when Berger squeezed Mansell off onto the grass coming out of the Tamburello, and he pulled that 360 degree spin without losing a beat? Circuits filled with that sort of passion are far and few these days.

#145 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 81 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 22:51

Indy. Back in. COTA out.

Nuts to that. The infield section at Indy is junk. Better they race on the oval if they go there at all. COTA is a proper track.

#146 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 23:15

It would still be better than the F1 race that takes place in the Korean wasteland.;)

That depends on what happens with the cars on the race. That´s what makes a race good or bad.

Imola also had a phenomenal crowd atmosphere that simply wasn't had anywhere else. Back years ago, I recall the tifosi sitting across the top of the billboards that straddled the circuit. Of course that was when the fans had greater access around the circuit. Who can forget the roar of the crowd when Berger squeezed Mansell off onto the grass coming out of the Tamburello, and he pulled that 360 degree spin without losing a beat? Circuits filled with that sort of passion are far and few these days.

See above.

#147 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,189 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 23:17

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=6296424

So you want it back because it´s closer to your home. Shit decission, whatever the reason is. I wouldn´t want the TdF being held on the Castilla flatlands. :rolleyes:

#148 SR388

SR388

• 3,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 23:21

So you want it back because it´s closer to your home. Shit decission, whatever the reason is. I wouldn´t want the TdF being held on the Castilla flatlands. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I thought we were offering subject opinions here. Why don't you kindly take your's and shove it up your ass?

Kthx.

#149 travbrad

travbrad

• 605 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 23:47

Is the hate for Yeongam because of the poor facilities and lack of attendance/atmosphere?

Purely judging based on the track/circuit it seems fairly good, probably better than about half of the circuits F1 goes to (not that that's saying much nowadays)

I completely agree. If I could have any circuit back in F1 it would be Osterreichring. My jaw still drops every time I watch old races there, such an amazing track. Old Spa would be pretty epic too (I know it wouldn't reach modern safety standards though)

Edited by travbrad, 03 June 2013 - 23:51.

#150 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 23:54

That depends on what happens with the cars on the race. That´s what makes a race good or bad.

See above.

I disagree, as that's purely a subjective matter. One person's good race is another person's bad race. Sort of like how people were rating Monaco as a 8/10 or a 9/10, while I thought the race was complete rubbish that was not even worthy of being rated.

Some people love a track so much they'd watch anything drive around it even if it is processional; Spa. The leader could lap the entire field 3 times, and as long as I get to watch cars going through Eau Rouge, or running flat through Blanchimont, I could care less.

Korea is a shit track for myself and many, so it makes little difference what happens with the cars on that circuit.

Keep in mind too regarding Imola (I've posted about this in another topic on here) that when they made the changes to the circuit in 1995, they never bothered to offset the removal of the main overtaking area with anything else. With braking distances shortening each year, it became more and more difficult to overtake in the few sections where one used to overtake. The most recent renovations that restored the circuit to FIA Grade 1, addresses that. If F1 did return there, I think it'd be an altogether different race from what we saw for the most part during the 1995-2004 period. A boring race on a classic F1 circuit is still better than watching cars running around most of Tilke's abominations.