Photo

James Hunt F3 test (1990?)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:03

Searching some news about the relaunched James Hunt´s book "Memories of James Hunt", I found this very interesting pic, in a Daily Mail reporter about the "new" publication. James in a Marlboro sponsored F3 car (looks like Hakkinen´s 1990s ride), with his ex-wife Sarah Lomax and his two sons, Tom and Freddie. James is wearing his old helmet from Mclaren days:

Posted Image

Any information about this? Was this really a test or just an "ilustrative" picture? I also would like to know about some James unknow tests after the end of his career.. Yes, everybody knows about his famous (and poor documented in pictures) 1989 test for Williams. But I can´t believe that he did not test or drive anything just for fun between 1979 and 1989.

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:17

I think you might find James was testing Eddie Irvine's Reynard 89D.

#3 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:45

I thought it was Mika´s car because of the Neste´s logo in the cockpit´s castle. Curious, in the picture with his family, James is wearing his old Mclaren helmet, but in the picture of your link he is wearing the same 80s Shoei helmet that he wore in his Williams test.

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:28

I have no explanation for the old skool helmet, might have been a bit out of date even for testing, but the Nesté stickers might be due to Irvine's team mate JJ Lehto's presence in the 1989 Pacific F3000 team  ;)

#5 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:55

Definently a F3000 car.

#6 Bill Becketts

Bill Becketts

• 344 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:09

It is striking how old James looks in that picture..in that iconic Helmet of his :(

#7 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:21

From memory, James had been hired by Marlboro to 'mentor' Irvine. This, in due course, provided a promo opportunity in James driving Irv's car.

I have an action photo elsewhere (which I used in a TNF quiz donkey's years ago) of James driving the car using Irv's lid.

#8 Kart15

Kart15

• 158 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:42

It is striking how old James looks in that picture..in that iconic Helmet of his :(

Yes, he looks too slim, his helmet looks a little bit large in his head, almost covering his eyes..

From memory, James had been hired by Marlboro to 'mentor' Irvine. This, in due course, provided a promo opportunity in James driving Irv's car.

I have an action photo elsewhere (which I used in a TNF quiz donkey's years ago) of James driving the car using Irv's lid.

I bet James was a better mentor for Irvine in the "chasing women" thing than in the driving techniques. Eddie wasn´t fast like James but had similar skills with women :lol:

Can you post the photo for us, if you find it, of course, please? :wave:

Edited by Kart15, 03 June 2013 - 21:46.