* - - - - 10 votes

Vettel unsure about Raikkonen as teammate

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 camberley

camberley

• 373 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:49

Jun.3 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel admits he is not sure if the idea of having Kimi Raikkonen as his teammate next year is "realistic".

Red Bull has not ruled out replacing Mark Webber, who fell out badly with world champion Vettel over the 'Multi-21' affair, with Finn Raikkonen in 2014.

Asked if he would like to share the Red Bull garage with his friend and fellow world champion Raikkonen next year, Vettel admitted: "I don't know how realistic that is.

"I do get on very well with him," he told Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

However, Vettel insisted that the media image of him and Raikkonen as best friends is "exaggerated".

"We see each other at the races if time permits, as we are both straightforward, honest -- we do get on well together," he said.

"But you don't find your real friends in formula one," added Vettel.

Vettel unsure of Raikkonen as teammate

Advertisement

#2 Lights

Lights

• 9,414 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:50

And the best thread title award goes to...

#3 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:53

Jun.3 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel admits he is not sure if the idea of having Kimi Raikkonen as his teammate next year is "realistic".

Red Bull has not ruled out replacing Mark Webber, who fell out badly with world champion Vettel over the 'Multi-21' affair, with Finn Raikkonen in 2014.

Asked if he would like to share the Red Bull garage with his friend and fellow world champion Raikkonen next year, Vettel admitted: "I don't know how realistic that is.

"I do get on very well with him," he told Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

However, Vettel insisted that the media image of him and Raikkonen as best friends is "exaggerated".

"We see each other at the races if time permits, as we are both straightforward, honest -- we do get on well together," he said.

"But you don't find your real friends in formula one," added Vettel.

Vettel unsure of Raikkonen as teammate

What's the problem again..?

#4 Molo19

Molo19

• 134 posts

While I agree that the thread headline is a bit presumtuous, I find Vettel's comments curious.

Edited by Molo19, 03 June 2013 - 13:53.

#5 falalalalaland

falalalalaland

• 91 posts

And the best thread title award goes to...

:lol: Exactly.

#6 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:54

the correct thread title is "Vettel Considering Retirement If Red Bull Hire Raikkonen."
Please fix

#7 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:56

While I agree that the thread headline is a bit presumtuous, I find Vettel's comments curious.

Vettel has his feet on the ground, and speaks frankly; I find it rather refreshing, despite that his answers after race could be shorter.

#8 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,247 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:56

Is he just preparing us for the renewal of Mark's contract or the arrival of JEV or Daniel?

I can see Red Bull rejecting the concept of Vettel and Raikkonen together, they see how Vettel reacts when he is not top dog.

#9 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:14

What is this, PlanetF1 forums?

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,759 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:23

Oh really?.

#11 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:34

Is he just preparing us for the renewal of Mark's contract or the arrival of JEV or Daniel?

I can see Red Bull rejecting the concept of Vettel and Raikkonen together, they see how Vettel reacts when he is not top dog.

Likely the arrival of JEV or Daniel. RBR would be wiser to recoup some of the money invested in their young driver program and use the difference from a Kimi contract vs. that of an STR driver hire and extend Vettel for 2015-2016.

Vettel put RBR where they are today and it is foolish to think he fears any other F1 driver.

#12 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:51

Article seems to ask whether Vettel would like to "share the garage" with Kimi.

He says it's not very realistic, probably because Kimi is driving for Lotus. :wave:

Initial article meaningless without context, the question Vettel was answering. never even minding the OP.

Edited by expert, 03 June 2013 - 14:52.

#13 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:54

Non-sense. What a stupid thread title!

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:04

Title is cheap but at least we now know Raikkonen at Red Bull is "not realistic" at the moment.

Well, for those in doubts he is merely confirming that he is not the one in charge at RBR, which is why he doesn't know how realistic this scenario is. What's the problem?

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,312 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:19

I didn't even know they were portrayed as best friends.

#16 Molo19

Molo19

• 134 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:25

Reading German news, you'd be excused for thinking they are planning marriage.

#17 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:29

How have you managed to miss it? They are always seen smiling, laughing with each other, and talking with each other at drivers' parade. They clearly have a good relationship, even if they aren't best friends.

#18 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,649 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:31

Vettel has his feet on the ground, and speaks frankly; I find it rather refreshing, despite that his answers after race could be shorter.

I guess having Kimi as team mate would give him more time for his answers :)

#19 ZZei

ZZei

• 419 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:33

How have you managed to miss it? They are always seen smiling, laughing with each other, and talking with each other at drivers' parade. They clearly have a good relationship, even if they aren't best friends.

I think Kimi, as well as all the more experienced drivers are on pretty good terms with eachother. Excluding Perez ofc :rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,312 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:35

Reading German news, you'd be excused for thinking they are planning marriage.

Fair enough. I've never noticed anything in the British press.

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,312 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:36

I see many drivers talking and laughing with each other, but don't read anything into that.

#22 aray

aray

• 2,615 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:36

"I don't know how realistic that is..".?!...that's quite a standpoint from Vettel...Posted Image

#23 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:43

I'd be nervous if a close friend who also incidentally happens to be a very strong driver and personality was going to be my teammate. Not because I was afraid of being beaten, but because it would undoubtedly put no end of strain on the relationship. Considering how it is at Red Bull at the moment and how the team is focused, you'd have to imagine that Kimi and Seb wouldn't remain close friends for very long!

#24 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:53

Especially if vettel pulls the 'its racing, I had a more powerful engine map was faster routine.

I can Kimi taking Helmuts bullshit for about 0.0034 seconds as well.

#25 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:18

It might be that he feels it unrealistic in terms of Red Bull wanting a younger driver. Or in terms of who says Kimi will want to move. Or who says Mark is going anywhere? All sorts of political reasons to say that, some more credible than others.

#26 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,947 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:40

Posted Image
Very nervous.

Edited by Boxerevo, 03 June 2013 - 16:40.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:46

I'd be nervous if a close friend who also incidentally happens to be a very strong driver and personality was going to be my teammate. Not because I was afraid of being beaten, but because it would undoubtedly put no end of strain on the relationship. Considering how it is at Red Bull at the moment and how the team is focused, you'd have to imagine that Kimi and Seb wouldn't remain close friends for very long!

Seb addressed this already and admitted, that's possibility, unfortunately.

#28 RetroF1

RetroF1

• 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:47

Maybe it's not realistic... because Vettel will Veto it... because he's nervous ;p

Edited by RetroF1, 03 June 2013 - 18:55.

#29 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:04

Maybe it's not realistic... because Vettel will Vito it... because he's nervous ;p

Vettel will not veto anything; this is not Ferrari/Alonso situation.

#30 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:35

And when did Alonso veto anything? (and you'll need more proof than a speculative BBC article).

#31 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,598 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:56

Who is Raikkionen?

I think the "not too realistic" part has to do with Kimi's present satisfaction with his Lotus drive.

Edited by bourbon, 03 June 2013 - 17:58.

#32 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:04

These statements comming from Sebastian are a clear sign that Kimi and RedBull talks are concrete, after the Monaco round when most serious commercial talks happens.

#33 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:36

He already veto'd Hamilton.

#34 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,160 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:44

Thread title edited to be more representative.

Please always give your threads titles that fairly reflect their content. Misleading titles waste the board's time, anger people and mean the discussion tends to become about the title itself, rather than the subject.

#35 kismet

kismet

• 7,007 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:18

Meh, sounds like someone's not going to end up at Red Bull. The headline that hinted at recreational shroom use promised so much more. 3 out of 10; would not read again.

#36 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,941 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:20

Kimi will not go to Red Bull, Seb wants someone like Mark, someone who is happy to play 2nd fiddle to him.

Cannot see Kimi doing that tbh.

#37 apoka

apoka

• 3,513 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:25

Kimi will not go to Red Bull, Seb wants someone like Mark, someone who is happy to play 2nd fiddle to him.

:rotfl:

#38 kedia990

kedia990

• 346 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:30

:confused:

#39 joshb

joshb

• 3,281 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:32

It's a non story, what was more of a story is Vettel telling us all that the previous perception of his being a bubbly, cheery character was false- he'd always let people know the truth and how he felt but it wasn't until the Multi 21 affair that most people thought he'd change to this tough talking, frank driver (Mark didn't deserve the win) when actually he says he was like that all through his career.

As for Kimi to Red Bull, I could see it happening... after all, the best drivers end up in the best teams. If you're at a top team, you expect to have another really good driver alongside- as Red Bull have had for the last 4 years

Advertisement

#40 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 81 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:34

My impression is that Seb didn't need to veto Hamilton; Horner made it pretty clear in 2011 he wasn't interested in having Hamilton. The history is that Hamilton is high-maintenance and Horner already has his hands full managing Vettel and Webber.

#41 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,598 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:37

Thread title edited to be more representative.

Please always give your threads titles that fairly reflect their content. Misleading titles waste the board's time, anger people and mean the discussion tends to become about the title itself, rather than the subject.

Thank you - that is much better. Now we just need someone to correct the spelling of Raikkonen... :D

#42 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:44

:lol: Yes, I've never seen anyone as happy as Mark to be a Nº2 driver

I think what he means about the "realistic" part of Kimi being his teammate is that he doesn't know if Kimi wants go there because he ¡s happy at Lotus not because he doesn't want him there.

#43 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,723 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:49

and seeing how Rosberg is beating him Hamilton is probably thanking him for saving him the embarresment :rotfl: (although it isn't true of course)

#44 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:40

Of course Vettel is "unsure" about Raikkonen. He already can't handle it whenever Mark beats him. He would have a total meltdown with a world champion teammate.

#45 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:19

And when did Alonso veto anything? (and you'll need more proof than a speculative BBC article).

No response Sakae?

#46 Sin

Sin

• 1,952 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:25

Of course Vettel is "unsure" about Raikkonen. He already can't handle it whenever Mark beats him. He would have a total meltdown with a world champion teammate.

that's not what he is saying tho, he is saying it is not realistic... and that probably because Kimi is happy at Lotus, he is fighting for the WDC there after all, so why should he come to RB?

Also there are 2 Toro Rosso drivers, fighting for the RB seat, if they would just take Kimi instead it would make the whole TR team a farce...

Seb is a bad looser, he admitted that, but it makes no difference against who he looses and I think Seb is a great driver, who got the potential to beat just any teammate

:p what he said was (not exact word to word translation can't be bothered) "You should see me playing Monopoly... When it goes bad I sometimes want to break the game board. Then I remember I need the game board for the revanche.."

I think that makes him so sympathic to me, cause he doesn't like loosing... when I was a child and was loosing the board game "Mensch Ärgere Dich Nicht" I threw the whole board from the table in anger (my parents never wanted to play with me again :(, and I myself dont play board games anymore cause of that reason), when years later someone stole my magic awesome sleepy making sword in DnD I was down for several days as well, all that cause I suck at loosing too,
at the same time Seb is usually funny if he is not loosing!

Edited by Sin, 04 June 2013 - 10:34.

#47 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:54

No response Sakae?

You miss me? Of course, it’s not known how much power Alonso actually has to veto a move by Vettel. but it has been enough speculated about it in media, and whilst LdM hasn't neither confirmed or denied that, speculations do continue about Alonso's contractual condition and power to veto. In Vettel's case Horner explicitly denied that Vettel has anything to say about choices of his teammates, yet speculations do continue anyway. Make of it what you will. I think in reality drivers are consulted about a short list with names of their potential teammates, probably they are asked whether they have any specific reservations for management to take under advisement, but that's where it ends. I also however believe that Alonso's voice carries more weight at Ferrari than Vettel's at RBR.

#48 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 14:26

You miss me? Of course, it’s not known how much power Alonso actually has to veto a move by Vettel. but it has been enough speculated about it in media, and whilst LdM hasn't neither confirmed or denied that, speculations do continue about Alonso's contractual condition and power to veto. In Vettel's case Horner explicitly denied that Vettel has anything to say about choices of his teammates, yet speculations do continue anyway. Make of it what you will. I think in reality drivers are consulted about a short list with names of their potential teammates, probably they are asked whether they have any specific reservations for management to take under advisement, but that's where it ends. I also however believe that Alonso's voice carries more weight at Ferrari than Vettel's at RBR.

Well according to Kubica, Ferrari had an option on him for 2012. Given how highly Alonso rates Kubica, you would think he would have vetoed that?

In the end it's all speculation. There's nothing concrete.

#49 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 15:26

Well according to Kubica, Ferrari had an option on him for 2012. Given how highly Alonso rates Kubica, you would think he would have vetoed that?

In the end it's all speculation. There's nothing concrete.

Rumor has it, that Alonso was (is?) friendly to Kubica, yes, I read it, but fear him? Surely you must be kidding about that. But then, I could be bias. I did not rate Kubica very highly at any time when he was still racing, and well below Massa. C-class journeyman at best (Webber class).

#50 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 15:34

Rumor has it, that Alonso was (is?) friendly to Kubica, yes, I read it, but fear him? Surely you must be kidding about that. But then, I could be bias. I did not rate Kubica very highly at any time when he was still racing, and well below Massa. C-class journeyman at best (Webber class).

Well i seem to remember that when he was asked who he thought the the best driver was (this was around 2010 time), he said Kubica.