Giancarlo Minardi: Button to take a year out, Kimi to McLaren

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:47

According to this Italian interview: Link

Minardi says there are signs at McLaren that Button is thinking of taking a year off F1 or possibly even 'changing his life'. This is the first I've heard of Button considering retirement but I guess the past couple of years have been kind of exhausting for him with very little results for all that effort.

As for Kimi heading back to McLaren? Not sure what to think of that... will they really be better than Lotus in the next few years, with all the change and transition that's going on over there at the moment?

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:50

imagine Perez's face when he reads it. :smoking:

#3 aray

aray

• 5,830 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:53

Bulls**t until Button says it himself.....

#4 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 16:57

Minardi says there are signs at McLaren that Button is thinking of taking a year off F1 or possibly even 'changing his life'. This is the first I've heard of Button considering retirement but I guess the past couple of years have been kind of exhausting for him with very little results for all that effort.

As for Kimi heading back to McLaren? Not sure what to think of that... will they really be better than Lotus in the next few years, with all the change and transition that's going on over there at the moment?

Regarding Button, would that have any implications in terms of testing for Honda? Could a McLaren chassis (a development chassis say) with a Honda engine test in 2014 or would that be restricted?

#5 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:01

haha this is probably the first "proper" gossip in F1 in many many years :p

#6 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:02

Sounds like utter nonsense

#7 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,020 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:02

''...will they really be better than Lotus in the next few years, with all the change and transition that's going on over there at the moment?''

Who would pick Lotus over McLaren during a massive reform in technological rules? Atleast McLaren is a sure bet to be up there, Lotus' sudden top form could vanish in an instant (look what happened to Renault).

#8 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:03

Regarding Button, would that have any implications in terms of testing for Honda? Could a McLaren chassis (a development chassis say) with a Honda engine test in 2014 or would that be restricted?

Interesting, you mean Button would leave Mclaren and move into Honda to test on a Mclaren car they've bought from McLaren?

#9 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:08

Didn't Button say just recently that McLaren is his last stop in F1?

#10 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Button to do Honda testing while Kimi sits in McLaren for a year biding his time for a seat at Red Bull?

Why would Kimi do a year anywhere? Why would McLaren let him? Do Red Bull want him and if so, why not next year? Why would McLaren place their technical future in the hands of a whiny whinging journeyman (yeah yeah overrated WDC whateva fastest car blahblah) with balance problems?

Where's Eddie Jordan when you need him?

#11 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Interesting, you mean Button would leave Mclaren and move into Honda to test on a Mclaren car they've bought from McLaren?

If Jenson were really up for driving for McLaren in the Honda years, and offered the opportunity to do so, then maybe something like that would be time better spent than a year with the new Mercedes engine as the relationship wins down. He could get six months off too. I am just speculating about this, obviously. The last guy who just wanted a year out never came back.

#12 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:10

Where's Eddie Jordan when you need him?

Yes, if Eddie was saying this it would probably be true (and he would be crucified for a few weeks until it was confirmed) :rotfl:

Edited by garoidb, 03 June 2013 - 17:10.

#13 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:12

This year seems to be developing into even juicer one than we had last year.

Edited by Sakae, 03 June 2013 - 17:13.

#14 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:13

Kimi had an offer from McLaren for 2010 and 2013, but he declined both times. Pretty sure he'll never return there.

However with the difficult financial situation at Lotus, he might be forced to think about alternatives if Red Bull decides to go for a youngster and his current team fading away. Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Jovanotti, 03 June 2013 - 17:18.

#15 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:23

two words:

NO WAY!

#16 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:29

The Kimi/McLaren split was pretty amicable wasn't it? But it was before Kimi 'found his balls' and he might not appreciate their corperate atmosphere.

You can bet that Honda will be pushing for a 'star' to be at McLaren in 2014 though, and Button and Perez don't really fit the bill.

#17 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:33

Wasnt it the Ron Raikkonen relationship that was the issue also the very poor MP4-21?

#18 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:39

^ Not really, it was just years of unreliable cars and slow cars. It was frustrating and he wanted a change of atmosphere.

#19 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:41

You can bet that Honda will be pushing for a 'star' to be at McLaren in 2014 though, and Button and Perez don't really fit the bill.

Who would be available? I assume you mean 2015 by the way.

Edited by garoidb, 03 June 2013 - 17:41.

Advertisement

#20 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:43

haha this is probably the first "proper" gossip in F1 in many many years :p

It's been a while. Love a bit of juicy gossip. :cool:

One thing I'd say about Jenson is that he's not a predictable beast. Maybe he's lined up a Ferrari seat for 2015.

#21 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Perez/Raikkonen would be pretty cool

#22 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Wasnt it the Ron Raikkonen relationship that was the issue also the very poor MP4-21?

Posted Image

They get on great still, and see each other on social occasions, as seen here in this official clip;

Ron Dennis & Kimi Raikkonen on the town

#23 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:57

now that is something :D , but still early for button to retire from F1 , has he had enough ? no , he will continue

#24 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:58

I don't see the reason to write off any chance of Kimi driving for McLaren again. It would all come down to whatever Kimi's long-term goals are, and whether he sees McLaren as viable place to achieve those goals. If Ron gets on with Kimi well still, then I see no reason why it couldn't be a serious consideration.

With that said, what would make it more viable is if Ron somehow came back as team principal. I don't see Whitmarsh as being the sort of guy who can really entice a top tier driver to come to McLaren. Ron on the other hand, yes.

#25 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:59

Until I hear it from Eddie Jordan, I will not believe it.

#26 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:08

This is the first I've heard of Button considering retirement but I guess the past couple of years have been kind of exhausting for him with very little results for all that effort.

He won three races last year, was second in the drivers championship the year before that.
His last win was only 7 races ago.

Most F1 drivers would (proverbial) to have that kind of "little result".

#27 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:45

Sounds like someone's been sampling the wrong kind of mushrooms.

#28 pRy

pRy

• 26,356 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:46

Jenson did an interview with either BBC or Sky quite recently about the McLaren Honda deal and I got the funniest feeling watching his body language and listening to him talking that it was as if he didn't expect to be around at the team when the Honda engines arrive. It was odd. Don't ask me to justify it because I can't. Just a gut feeling I got. As if he was struggling to get excited about the future because he isn't sure of the future. Maybe he's considering a crack at triathlon professionally?

Edited by pRy, 03 June 2013 - 18:49.

#29 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:46

Utter Utter Rubbish

#30 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:52

Why would McLaren place their technical future in the hands of a whiny whinging journeyman (yeah yeah overrated WDC whateva fastest car blahblah) with balance problems?

Wait, what? Oh you're talking about Button?

#31 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:57

Wouldnt be surprised if it was raikkonen to retire instead of button to be honest. Depends on how the season continues I would suppose.

#32 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:00

Why on earth is Giancarlo Minardi in the know, and why is he leaking this?

Sounds a little too far-fetched to be true in my opinion.

#33 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:06

Why on earth is Giancarlo Minardi in the know, and why is he leaking this?

I wondered exactly the same. I even wondered if it was just based on a very similar hunch to what pRy got, watching JB keeping his cards close when he was asked about driving with the Honda engines in 2015.

#34 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:08

When does Button's contract end? At the end of this season? Next year?

#35 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:10

Well then you might as well ask why on earth Eddie is in the know. It's a strange world.

#36 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:22

Seems a little far fetched. Doesn't JB's contract run until the end of 2015? He does seem to have been a little more cagey about his future recently, which is a change from his previous standpoint of being happy to stay for the rest of his career and beyond with McLaren; but I'd be surprised if that equates to breaking his contract and taking a year out. I doubt he is that disillusioned with things.

His prospects of a 2013 WDC challenge are all but gone, 2014 looks like a transitional year with limited co-operation from Mercedes, and 2015 potentially another transitional year with Honda bedding in. Perhaps that is the way JB is looking on things, if this story is true.

Edited by P123, 03 June 2013 - 19:23.

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:24

If you think about it, fact is that Button is on crossroads. Take his age, thoughts about family, travelling, contracts, changes in his team, McLaren's budget, new world under Pirelli' tires, grid positions, new team-mate, etc. Add all together, consider its impact, and ask, why anyone should be surprised if he says - I have enough. I am not saying he will retire, but maybe he is mentally just fed-up and tired. I would understand it.

#38 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:29

Maybe GM was talking about BuFFon, the goalkeeper after a bottle of wine. :drunk:

#39 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,731 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:33

When does Button's contract end? At the end of this season? Next year?

No-one knows just how long his existing contract is. (Well, presumably JB & Macca know!).

But when he signed a new deal in 2011, all the press and public learned was that it was for more than one year because he said the new deal represented "a great opportunity over the next couple of years to really work closely with McLaren. " Pretty vague.

He also said in 2011 how the deal didn't necessarily mean he would end his career at McLaren, although Martin Whitmarsh has spoken of his wish for this to happen, and indeed to keep him at McLaren beyond his F1 racing career.

Advertisement

#40 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:35

Sounds like someone's been sampling the wrong kind of mushrooms.

Unfounded rumour.
Such story could only come from weed.

#41 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,509 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:43

No-one knows just how long his existing contract is. (Well, presumably JB & Macca know!).

But when he signed a new deal in 2011, all the press and public learned was that it was for more than one year because he said the new deal represented "a great opportunity over the next couple of years to really work closely with McLaren. " Pretty vague.

He also said in 2011 how the deal didn't necessarily mean he would end his career at McLaren, although Martin Whitmarsh has spoken of his wish for this to happen, and indeed to keep him at McLaren beyond his F1 racing career.

He would be well set to become an ambassador for both McLaren and Honda if he did want to stop.

#42 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:47

Whitmarsh was mentioning Button as being a ambassador of McLaren practically before he joined, what is it about Button that Whitmarsh is so enamoured by that he could make such statements right off the bat?

What is the special qualities Button has that you'd build your organisation around?

#43 sneaker91

sneaker91

• 218 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:50

Kimi in a McLaren powered by Honda is too good to be true.

To cap it off they should punt Perez and bring back Senna into F1.

Ahh the golden age......

HONDA

POWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sneaker91, 03 June 2013 - 19:51.

#44 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:57

Earlier this year Button had commented that he would probably end his career at McLaren but recently he's been saying that he's keeping his future open and there's nothing solid for him.

I don't have time to pinpoint the exact articles but I know for sure there has been a very noticeable switch between his attitude in terms of where he's going to be driving since the beginning of the year.

Could be Honda related.

#45 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 19:57

As a Kimi supporter I would love this, but it smells like bullshit to me.

Edited by MikeV1987, 03 June 2013 - 19:57.

#46 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:02

Thank you!

As silly as it sounds, I think it is less probable that a driver who still has one year contract (plus the current season) retires than a driver who still has two or more years contract left. I suppose when you begin to think about leaving your job and change your life, it's easier to honour your contract if there is only one more year left.

If Button's contract ends at the end of this season, well, it's normal there are all kind of rumours, it's a McLaren seat what we are talking about...

#47 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,036 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:32

What is the special qualities Button has that you'd build your organisation around?

You don't build anything around an ambassador, however, Button will fit pretty good in such a role. He have a nice smile waiting to pop out, he is somewhat charming, outgoing.

#48 Xeriks

Xeriks

• 1,131 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:16

I'm sure there was an interview with Button last weekend, and he was asked about having a job for life at Mclaren and he dismissed it, and acted rather strange? or am I imagining things?

#49 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:22

Come 2015, McLaren is going to need a true number one driver on the team. Button is not a number one driver unless a team is being fielded with two, number two drivers.

As far as availability goes, will any names of value be free then?

I'd also think that Honda may have some input regarding who one of the drivers may be depending on what the terms of the engine deal are.

Edited by BoschKurve, 03 June 2013 - 21:23.

#50 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:43

Maybe Button just simply isn't as excited about driving for Honda (McLaren) as we are about seeing them back in F1. Remember, this is the company who almost ended Jensons F1 career before he became a WDC.