Photo

Ted Lloyd Jones`s Triangle Special

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 20:06

Hi, apologies for asking similar questions before but there could be new eyes on the forum.

I am researching Ted Lloyd Jones`s Meadows engine Triangle Special for a project I am doing. One of the last owners of the car that I have found out was Freddie Bird. Does anyone know him or even knew him. The car was yellow when he raced it in the Itala Trophy in the early 60`s. This car is not to be confused with the red Skinner Triangle special currently at Historic events. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 mjphuket

mjphuket

• 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 16:27

I am new to the forum and was drawn to your question because my father, Bill Hewitt, was TLJ's racing mechanic from 1936 through to 1953, with an interruption for war service of course. I am well aware of the pre-war Triangle Special, with a 1497 cc supercharged Lea Francis engine, and the post-war Triangle Skinner Special and the Triangle Flying Saucer, all of which my father was involved with, but I have never heard of a Triangle Special with a Meadows engine. I cannot help you with your research, but I am most interested to know more about this one myself. Any information you have that you can share with me would be most appreciated, because my father, who died in February at the age of 93, never spent any time reminiscing about his exploits, so it is only now that I am trying to put his story together.  

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:15

Some Lea-Francis cars, at least, used Meadows engines...

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 19:44

Some Lea-Francis cars, at least, used Meadows engines...

Yes, and a supercharged Lea-Francis is most likely to have been one.

In the piece about its Spollon ownership in the VSCC Bulletin it is stated that it had a Hyper Lea-Francis engine - and not just a touring Hyper but racing with roller-bearing crankshaft and No. 9 Cozette supercharger running on methanol, but still a Meadows engine.

http://lombard.regis....fr/AL3-KKK.htm

and here's a photo of it then.

3.jpg

Edited by Allan Lupton, 08 September 2013 - 07:43.

#5 mjphuket

mjphuket

• 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:28

Thanks for the clarification. I hope it still exists, so good luck with your research.

#6 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 21:07

Yep, as Allan said. Hi mjphuket, welcome to the forum, if you come across any pictures of Ken Miles with your father or TLJ please let me know as I would love to see them.

No luck in tracing the Lea Francis engine Triangle special yet.

#7 mjphuket

mjphuket

• 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:39

No joy there I'm afraid. Photos of my father at work are as scarce as hen's teeth, certainly I have nothing from that period, Sorry. (Oh,thank you all for the welcoming words).