Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Räikkönens amazing point streak, 24 races in a row!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Robertsf

Robertsf

• 56 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:42

Lets hope that Kimi can continue and getting points also from Silverstone, one more race with points and he breaks the record!!

Longest pointstreaks in F1:

1. Michael Schumacher 24 (Unkarin GP 2001 – Malesian GP 2003)
1. Kimi Räikkönen 24 (Bahrainin GP 2012 – Kanadan GP 2013)
3. Fernando Alonso 23 (Euroopan GP 2011 - Unkarin GP 2012)
4. Sebastian Vettel 19 (Brasilian GP 2010 - Intian GP 2011)

Advertisement

#2 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:44

Schumi did it while the Top 6 got points.
Now they hand out points to those who doesn't deserv points like Räkä.

#3 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:47

Schumi also drove the most dominant cars in history to achieve that.

#4 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:50

:up:

#5 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:52

Schumi also drove the most dominant cars in history to achieve that.

Not to mention that there was far less competition those days. Mainly this statistic just smashes the myth of Kimi breaking the cars back in the McLaren days.

#6 oldracer1957

oldracer1957

• 202 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:52

Sorry Bro, but whats the Unkarin GP :confused:

#7 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:53

Ofcourse Schumacher did it when only the first six cars got points. But remember: in 2013 usually 20 to 22 cars finish the race... while in Schumachers record setting time about 12 to 14 cars finished per race.

#8 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:53

Sorry Bro, but whats the Unkarin GP :confused:

Hungarian GP

#9 aray

aray

• 5,818 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:04

Lets hope that Kimi can continue and getting points also from Silverstone, one more race with points and he breaks the record!!

while kudos to Kimi,this is so funny post with so many weird spelling :rotfl:

#10 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:10

As with some other statistics (like all-time points), the regulation changes skew the statistic heavily. With first ten getting points and modern-day ultrareliability we see that we have got three drivers in the top four from the last three (!) years alone.

Try to get 24 consecutive point-finishes in the 50's. Demanded a top five finish for three consecutive years (!) without retiring or crashing, injury, or worst of all, dying...

#11 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:10

Ofcourse Schumacher did it when only the first six cars got points. But remember: in 2013 usually 20 to 22 cars finish the race... while in Schumachers record setting time about 12 to 14 cars finished per race.

so I guess its even a bigger achievment, since he finished in all those 24 cases [and as mentioned with the top 6 & 8 points system]

Edited by molpid, 10 June 2013 - 08:10.

#12 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:13

while kudos to Kimi,this is so funny post with so many weird spelling :rotfl:

It's in finnish.

Kimi sure is consistent, and worth every penny Lotus pay him. He is fast and brings the car home.

#13 nowayback

nowayback

• 65 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:13

Mainly this statistic just smashes the myth of Kimi breaking the cars back in the McLaren.

Yes I think that is the most valid thing here. Just to get thru 24 starts w/o being taken out! Especially since he rarely was on front row

#14 aray

aray

• 5,818 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:16

It's in finnish.

Kimi sure is consistent, and worth every penny Lotus pay him. He is fast and brings the car home.

even name of a nation changes in Finnish... :confused:

#15 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:23

Seriously? Did you think that the english way to name countries is the only one?

#16 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:24

The spellings are obviously copied from a Finnish article.

Obviously this record is very different from that of Schumacher, but not necessarily any less impressive. While points are awarded to more drivers, more cars are also finishing in a much tighter field.

#17 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:26

He doesn't seem to care. Thinks it's nice, but he doesn't really care by all accounts. I'm sure he'd swap the points record for a world title (understandable, it's like my football team, we went 43 games unbeaten, albeit over the course of 2 seasons, we didn't get promotion so the record meant nothing, and for Kimi it'll be the same, he'd rather have no records but more world titles than any number of records and less world titles)

#18 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 247 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:27

#19 aray

aray

• 5,818 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:33

Seriously? Did you think that the english way to name countries is the only one?

not the only one perhaps,but definitely the right one....

Advertisement

#20 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 1,469 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:41

Only in your twisted dreams :cat:

#21 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:46

:rotfl: Different languages have different names for countries? This is news to you?

#22 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:48

So??? Originally Hungary is Magyar, Germany is Deutschland etc.

#23 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:51

Uhm...
I take it by right one, you mean the way the country itself spells it?

Excluding English countries:

Malaysia = Malaysia (pretty similar in most Western languages)
Bahrain = Al-Baḥrayn (pretty similar in most Western languages)
Spain = España
Monaco = Monaco (pretty, if not exactly, similar in most Western languages)
Germany = Deutschland
Hungary = Magyarország
Belgium = Belgique or België
Italy = Italia (pretty similar in most Western languages)
Singapore = Singapura (pretty, if not exactly, similar in most Western languages)
South Korea = Hanguk
Japan = Nihon or Nippon
Abu Dhabi = Abū ẓabī (pretty, if not exactly, similar in most Western languages)
Brazil = Brasil (pretty similar in most Western languages)

#24 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:21

yes Schumi did it when 6th got points but back then Schumi had dominant car and the most reliable car as well, grid was far less competitive as it's now, when everyone is much closer. Kimi also don't have that many outside 6th positions in those 24 races so he has done very impressively even if not maybe as impressive as Schumi did..but then again, Kimi can break the record and then it will be more impressive :) what also needs to be mentioned is that Kimi has the record of most finished races in a row, I think it's 35 now! Heidfeld has more classified results in row however but he didn't finish those races.

#25 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:22

what? :s english is not definately the right one...what would be the right one would be to name countries each on their own language! also English is not the most speaked language in the world, so why should it be the right one????

#26 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:32

Schumacher's record is still more impressive in my opinion. Doing it when only the top 6 got points, and cars were less reliable. It really is not that difficult to finish in the top 10 on a regular basis if you have a top 4 car. Saying that Kimi has done a fantastic job in keeping himself out of trouble in races, and deserves his 24 races inside the top 10.

#27 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:37

The point streak belongs to Lotus and Raikkonen, not just Raikkonen.

#28 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:52

Schumi did it while there was only McLaren, Ferrari and Williams battling for points.

#29 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:59

Doesn't matter what car you're in, to even finish 24 races in a row is impressive from Raikkonen and the Enstone team. Look at Grosjean's record in comparison, he's struggled to finish 24 laps without incidents at most races. Even with the new points system it's still impressive.

Schumacher's record is still more impressive in my opinion. Doing it when only the top 6 got points, and cars were less reliable.

So Schumacher's record is more impressive because the cars were collectively less reliable? This is bad analysis. To assess Schumacher's record vs Raikkonen you need to compare the Ferrari of that period to the Renault of this period. Nothing else matters. My recollection is that the Ferraris of that period were extremely reliable.

They had to be for Schumacher to achieve the result. Unless you somehow believe his driving ability made the Ferrari more reliable (you probably do :rolleyes: ).

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 10 June 2013 - 10:03.

#30 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,805 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:07

"I care about scoring the points, but not about any records".

#31 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,008 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:15

Damn that Chinese GP last year :D

#32 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:31

Uhm...
I take it by right one, you mean the way the country itself spells it?

Hungary vs. (H)Unkari

Huge difference.

#33 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:01

I still think Reutemann's 15 in a row is more impressive, from the days of non-bulletproof cars, and especially how a driver known primarily for his inconsistency could hold a record for consistency!

#34 Zesus

Zesus

• 958 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:11

Yesterday I was worried that he won't finish in points. It was so hard to watch, I forgot about championship because you can't be in top 5 with that car, but I still had hopes for this record.
I'm glad he did this, I'm sure he cares about it and makes him happy, but of course, he'll be happier to score more points. Point is, I think he feels a little bit satisfaction with this even if he doesn't want to admit.

#35 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:21

Direct comparisons with old records are always prone to subjectivity. Be that as may, Kimi has done excellent work to match Michael's 24 races in points.

I think that it'll be the next race that will drag a dry smile from the man himself. if he can get some points out of it.

Good job from folks at Lotus as well.

#36 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:38

Direct comparisons with old records are always prone to subjectivity. Be that as may, Kimi has done excellent work to match Michael's 24 races in points.

I think that it'll be the next race that will drag a dry smile from the man himself. if he can get some points out of it.

Good job from folks at Lotus as well.

Its an impressive streak no matter how you look at it.

#37 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:50

When they came onto the radio yesterday and said Kimi had brake problems again, and that he he had to save fuel I really thought he might not end up in the points. Looking at the finishes, he only ended lower then 6th in 6 of the 24 races.

I am sure Kimi himself doesn't care much for statistics. But Lotus would properly be quite happy, this shows that they have produced a reliable car, and their driver is generally doing a good job.

#38 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:50

Schumacher's record is still more impressive in my opinion. Doing it when only the top 6 got points, and cars were less reliable. It really is not that difficult to finish in the top 10 on a regular basis if you have a top 4 car. Saying that Kimi has done a fantastic job in keeping himself out of trouble in races, and deserves his 24 races inside the top 10.

So you're saying schumacher finished in top 6 with an unreliable car? Sure, most of the cars didnt finish as often as they do know, but clearly schumachers did. And as has been said, the field was much less competitive back then. If schumi had a bad weekend, he'd be dissapointed to finish out of the podium. Take kimi from yesterday, he had shitty brakes, bad pitstops and fuelproblems. And he barely got any points.
Both impressive achievements in different eras, but as kimi said, I think he would have rather got a 5th place from monaco and retired from canada and thus get more points than break some of schumis old records

#39 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 13:08

I'll bet he would trade that stat for the occasional breakdown and a car that can run consistently at the front.

Advertisement

#40 Putnik

Putnik

• 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 13:59

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum!

Ferrari was indeed quite powerful for a long time and also midfield was a lot weaker and especially narrower than what it is nowdays. It used to be really hard not to finish in the points during 1998-2004 with a Ferrari. To proof this I did some sketchy research and took into account also the performances of number two drivers:

1998 MSC: finished in top 5 every race excluding 3xRET and Monaco (10th, crash with Diniz)
1998 IRV: 2x8th
1999 MSC: finished in top 3 every race excluding 2xRET, 6xinjured and Australia (8th, technical problems)
1998 IRV: 1x7th
1998 SAL: 1x7th, 1x9th, 1x12th
2000 MSC: finished in top 5 every race excluding 4xRET
2000 BAR: finished in top 4 every race excluding 4xRET
2001 MSC: finished in top 4 every race excluding 2xRET
2001 BAR: finished in top 5 every race excluding 4xRET
2002 MSC: finished in top 3 every race
2002 BAR: finished in top 4 every race excluding 3xRET, 2xDNS and Monaco (7th, crash with Kimi)
------------------------Points for top 8 from now on------------------------
2003 MSC: finished in top 8 every race excluding 1xRET
2003 BAR: finished in top 8 every race excluding 5xRET
2004 MSC: finished in top 2 every race excluding 1xRET, China (12th, started from back of the grid) and Brazil (7th, started from 18th)
2004 BAR: finished in top 6 every race excluding 1xRET and Germany (12th, crashed)

Schumacher surely did good job during his streak, but with these stats I would say that the biggest merit belongs to Ferrari. Had Barrichello been (a lot) luckier with technical problems, he would be holding that record. Also it might be worth noticing that the streak ended to Schumi's own mistake in Brazil 2003 (there was some standing water in the racing line though if I remember it right). Without that retirement the streak would be quite much longer by the way...!

Then about Kimi's streak. Nowdays there is way more competition in the midfield. Usually Lotus's speed has been enough to be comfortably in the points though, but just small problems have made some point finishes really close calls for them. For example in Australia this year when Kimi won the race, Grosjean had completely clean race but set-up problems and he was 10th (!). In China 2012 Kimi only had badly timed pit-stops but those ~20secs lost made him finish 14th instead of something like 5th or 6th. In Canada 2012 Kimi only had a KERS problem and lost just 15 secs to the winner of the race, but still was only 8th. This year he had set-up and brake problems and again just narrowly managed to make it into the points (9th). And Grosjean, who I rate really high in terms of raw speed, was just 13th despite of clean race (yeah, he started from back of the grid, but still). Also in Brazil 2012 and Monaco this year he was driving outside of points until he crashed despite not having other problems than poor grid position. Also multiple similiar examples exist from other teams. But what I wanted to say with this was that with this kind of small problems it was much easier to make it into points in a 1998-2004 Ferrari (or McLaren) whereas with Lotus they led to to big problems in finishing in the points.

Kimi has also been doing good job in avoiding collisions even though he has usually had to start from quite high grid positions and thus fight more against other drivers. Surely he has had two collisions with Perez, one with Alonso (Japan 2012) and one minor with I don't know who in Malaysia 2013 start though and he has been lucky to survive into points in those races but the collisions have had little Kimi's fault in my opinion (except about Malaysia I don't know).

All in all I would say that in 2001-2003 Ferrari several drivers would have been able to consistently finish in points but in 2012-2013 Lotus not so many. This isn't anything away from Schumacher though, he did what the car allowed him to do. But for Kimi his streak is particularly well done.

#41 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:24

Great post, thanks for the effort!

#42 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:26

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum!

Ferrari was indeed quite powerful for a long time and also midfield was a lot weaker and especially narrower than what it is nowdays. It used to be really hard not to finish in the points during 1998-2004 with a Ferrari. To proof this I did some sketchy research and took into account also the performances of number two drivers:

1998 MSC: finished in top 5 every race excluding 3xRET and Monaco (10th, crash with Diniz)
1998 IRV: 2x8th
1999 MSC: finished in top 3 every race excluding 2xRET, 6xinjured and Australia (8th, technical problems)
1998 IRV: 1x7th
1998 SAL: 1x7th, 1x9th, 1x12th
2000 MSC: finished in top 5 every race excluding 4xRET
2000 BAR: finished in top 4 every race excluding 4xRET
2001 MSC: finished in top 4 every race excluding 2xRET
2001 BAR: finished in top 5 every race excluding 4xRET
2002 MSC: finished in top 3 every race
2002 BAR: finished in top 4 every race excluding 3xRET, 2xDNS and Monaco (7th, crash with Kimi)
------------------------Points for top 8 from now on------------------------
2003 MSC: finished in top 8 every race excluding 1xRET
2003 BAR: finished in top 8 every race excluding 5xRET
2004 MSC: finished in top 2 every race excluding 1xRET, China (12th, started from back of the grid) and Brazil (7th, started from 18th)
2004 BAR: finished in top 6 every race excluding 1xRET and Germany (12th, crashed)

Schumacher surely did good job during his streak, but with these stats I would say that the biggest merit belongs to Ferrari. Had Barrichello been (a lot) luckier with technical problems, he would be holding that record. Also it might be worth noticing that the streak ended to Schumi's own mistake in Brazil 2003 (there was some standing water in the racing line though if I remember it right). Without that retirement the streak would be quite much longer by the way...!

Then about Kimi's streak. Nowdays there is way more competition in the midfield. Usually Lotus's speed has been enough to be comfortably in the points though, but just small problems have made some point finishes really close calls for them. For example in Australia this year when Kimi won the race, Grosjean had completely clean race but set-up problems and he was 10th (!). In China 2012 Kimi only had badly timed pit-stops but those ~20secs lost made him finish 14th instead of something like 5th or 6th. In Canada 2012 Kimi only had a KERS problem and lost just 15 secs to the winner of the race, but still was only 8th. This year he had set-up and brake problems and again just narrowly managed to make it into the points (9th). And Grosjean, who I rate really high in terms of raw speed, was just 13th despite of clean race (yeah, he started from back of the grid, but still). Also in Brazil 2012 and Monaco this year he was driving outside of points until he crashed despite not having other problems than poor grid position. Also multiple similiar examples exist from other teams. But what I wanted to say with this was that with this kind of small problems it was much easier to make it into points in a 1998-2004 Ferrari (or McLaren) whereas with Lotus they led to to big problems in finishing in the points.

Kimi has also been doing good job in avoiding collisions even though he has usually had to start from quite high grid positions and thus fight more against other drivers. Surely he has had two collisions with Perez, one with Alonso (Japan 2012) and one minor with I don't know who in Malaysia 2013 start though and he has been lucky to survive into points in those races but the collisions have had little Kimi's fault in my opinion (except about Malaysia I don't know).

All in all I would say that in 2001-2003 Ferrari several drivers would have been able to consistently finish in points but in 2012-2013 Lotus not so many. This isn't anything away from Schumacher though, he did what the car allowed him to do. But for Kimi his streak is particularly well done.

Excellent, and I completely agree. :up: