Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

How soon until the "number two drivers" start supporting their team mate?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:02

Right so we are only 7 races in but the championship battle looks like it will be between the top 3 drivers (at most). My question is, when do people think Massa, Webber and Grosjean will start driving to support their team mates (i.e. let them through if they are behind them, and try to hold up championship rivals). It already looks like quite a long shot for any of them to win the championship. Given how Alonso and Kimi are now both more than a race win behind Vettel, there may need to be some awkward calls if their team mates have a better weekend than them.

also would prefer it if this thread didn't end up with the usual arguments (i.e. Alonso is default number 1 from beginning of the season because of Santander money etc.).

Advertisement

#2 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:03

Massa, Webber and Grosjean should probably up their own pace first before they are in a position to do any "support" for their team mates.

#3 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:08

I wonder why you didn't include Nico in your list... could it be the fact that he was already used as a moving chicane to help Lewis in Canada?

#4 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:10

I wonder why you didn't include Nico in your list... could it be the fact that he was already used as a moving chicane to help Lewis in Canada?

Merc are not in the hunt for WDC

#5 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:12

Cant see Webber doing anything to help Vettel. If he *does* appear to be helping, it'll be because Red Bull are manipulating things from the pitwall.

Vettel likely wont need Webber's assistance regardless.

#6 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:19

Cant see Webber doing anything to help Vettel. If he *does* appear to be helping, it'll be because Red Bull are manipulating things from the pitwall.
Vettel likely wont need Webber's assistance regardless.

In previous years when a 2-way telemetry was still legal, it was possible to manipulate and affect the performance of a car from the pitwall. How do you still achieve that nowadays?

#7 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:25

Aside from the Merc boys, I'd say it's pretty much decided already.
Of course, Webber will do as much supporting of Vettel as he has over the last couple years, so there's nothing new there.

In previous years when a 2-way telemetry was still legal, it was possible to manipulate and affect the performance of a car from the pitwall. How do you still achieve that nowadays?

With a tinfoil transmitter and fanboy magic :drunk:

#8 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:40

Throw bananas at him in the pit stop I think.

#9 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 14:45

By now they should be doing it. Most certainly in Ferrari and Lotus' cases and they would. Red Bull though is a wild wild world. Webber never had, even when he was mathematically out of it, so I doubt he would now. I don't think Vettel expects anything from him anyway, he always counts him out.

#10 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 15:00

Merc are not in the hunt for WDC

Mercedes has wiped the floor with Lotus in Canada. I would assume if they are not in the hunt, Kimi isn't either.

#11 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 15:04

RBR, Ferrari, Lotus do it from race 1. That's how they go racing, to maximise chance of winning championship.

#12 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 15:15

Strategy decisions, calling a driver to pit when the result might put them back into traffic, slow pitstops, KERS problems.... all ready for a team to deploy if they need to.

#13 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 15:15

RBR, Ferrari, Lotus do it from race 1. That's how they go racing, to maximise chance of winning championship.

And if you look at the first 7 races, that was a wise move.

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:23

Right so we are only 7 races in but the championship battle looks like it will be between the top 3 drivers (at most). My question is, when do people think Massa, Webber and Grosjean will start driving to support their team mates (i.e. let them through if they are behind them, and try to hold up championship rivals). It already looks like quite a long shot for any of them to win the championship. Given how Alonso and Kimi are now both more than a race win behind Vettel, there may need to be some awkward calls if their team mates have a better weekend than them.

also would prefer it if this thread didn't end up with the usual arguments (i.e. Alonso is default number 1 from beginning of the season because of Santander money etc.).

Team's manager decides on support, if any. At RBR it is a mixed bag of happiness based on 2012 ending not worth re-discussing, unless one has desire to start fight in a hurry.

#15 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 16:27

Webber helping Vettel? :lol: Go get a grip son.

#16 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 17:07

Massa, Webber and Grosjean should probably up their own pace first before they are in a position to do any "support" for their team mates.

+1. Secondly, Webber will never support his team mate. He was reluctant in 2012, and since then, certain events have unfolded...

#17 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 17:15

Webber will help as little as possible, Growjohn can´t do anything to help and Massa lost any chance of not having to help in probably the first 2 or 3 races...

#18 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 17:18

If it comes to simply letting a teammate by, I think Massa would probably already be requested to do that. Grosjean too. I can't see Webber doing it.
If by help they have to break gearbox seals and take penalties on purpose, I don't think anyone will do it yet.

#19 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 17:30

To have a bit of humour...:p

Grosjean can help like he did in 2012. Take championship rivals out in a first corner melee. But this time he has to aim properly to get Vettel too.

Massa likes to crash into walls a lot, so another Singapore is on the cards. Remember the call to Alonso "Safety car window is open." Ominous.

Webber can race without KERS for the rest of the season.

Rosberg can just save fuel all the time. He has been doing it ever since joining Mercedes in 2010 anyway, as far as my memory goes.

Advertisement

#20 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 17:47

Webber would probably start supporting Alonso now if he can.

#21 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,799 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 17:54

Massa does that already, Webber will never do it and Grosjean will help a lot if he doesn't crash Kimi. So things are pretty settled. But as for Mercedes... Now, that will be interesting.

#22 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 20:12

Massa has 49 points to Alonso's 96 at the moment with the leader on 132. At Hockenheim 2010, he had 67 to Alonso's 98 with the leader on 145. It is earlier in the season, but he really cannot afford to drop this far back given his recent seasons. He cannot be considered a realistic contender for the 2013 WDC IMO. Does anyone think he could be?

#23 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 21:14

I think Nico already did, didn't he?

#24 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 21:35

Webber would probably start supporting Alonso now if he can.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Massa since race 1
Grosjean has been too far away to help Kimi
Webber would not support Vettel unless he's forced
I don't think Mercedes can or should choose a driver this early in the season

#25 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:29

Posts deleted. Stop using this thread to rehash the same old arguments about Brazil 2012, Brazil 2008 etc or the thread will be closed.

#26 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:36

Webber and Massa have shown sparks to suggest they're still (long shot) WDC contenders so its too early yet.
Grosjean has been nowhere as far as im concerned, so he should be thinking about that role now. Ironically, because he's that far off Kimi I doubt he could do much good anyway.
Lewis/Nico are still too close to call

#27 chrisj

chrisj

• 1,000 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:31

No one is actually suggesting that Massa would ever be allowed to finish ahead of Alonso are they? As others have already said, Webber is more likely to help Alonso than his own teammate.

Edited by chrisj, 11 June 2013 - 03:32.

#28 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:55

No one is actually suggesting that Massa would ever be allowed to finish ahead of Alonso are they? As others have already said, Webber is more likely to help Alonso than his own teammate.

Not now that the points gaps has open up .... again. In the early races, it looked like Felipe was being allowed to run his own races.

#29 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:57

Lewis/Nico are still too close to call

Yes, and it will probably stay that way for a while yet. Also, it is only really worth it if there is a genuine shot at the WDC for one of the drivers, which may not end up being the case for Mercedes.

#30 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:27

Yes, and it will probably stay that way for a while yet. Also, it is only really worth it if there is a genuine shot at the WDC for one of the drivers, which may not end up being the case for Mercedes.

Are you kidding me? Do you remember the race with 'Multi 21', where everyone seemed to forgive Mercedes Team Orders? What about the previous race in Canada? Mercedes has chosen a No. 1 driver from the very first race of the season. Nico is doing all he can to help Lewis, and people aren't even acknowledging that. How sad for him.

#31 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:33

Are you kidding me? Do you remember the race with 'Multi 21', where everyone seemed to forgive Mercedes Team Orders? What about the previous race in Canada? Mercedes has chosen a No. 1 driver from the very first race of the season. Nico is doing all he can to help Lewis, and people aren't even acknowledging that. How sad for him.

...which is why I think Rosberg will be exploring vacancies elsewhere, and if opportunity strikes, he could leave. He was angry already once, and he has farther behind him to observe the scene and open his eyes.

#32 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:38

Mercedes has wiped the floor with Lotus in Canada. I would assume if they are not in the hunt, Kimi isn't either.

Realistically they are in the hunt for 3rd place in the WCC, Kimi still has a shot at WDC

#33 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:39

Ooops, forgot about that. Nonetheless, if Lewis drops fully out of contention, there will be no need for that kind of thing from a WDC perspective. Then it would just be race fixing.

#34 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:40

Realistically they are in the hunt for 3rd place in the WCC, Kimi still has a shot at WDC

Kimi is just 11 points ahead of Lewis. There are 12 more races to go. If he still has a shot at WDC, then so does Lewis.

#35 molpid

molpid

• 366 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:44

Kimi is just 11 points ahead of Lewis. There are 12 more races to go. If he still has a shot at WDC, then so does Lewis.

True, according to the current WDC points they are both in the hunt. Im just not sure Merc will be able to keep up with the development [see previous year]. Just a hunch though.

#36 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:48

Both have a zero chance of winning. No idea why OP included Kimi in the list not to mention that Grojsean has been hopless

#37 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:51

Both have a zero chance of winning. No idea why OP included Kimi in the list not to mention that Grojsean has been hopless

Well then, Alonso is just 8 points ahead of Kimi. With 12 races remaining, why does he have a chance and Kimi doesn't? :p

Frankly speaking it is too early to rule out the top 5-6. We are barely a third of the way into the new season.

#38 Vibe

Vibe

• 383 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:26

Webber helping Vettel? :lol: Go get a grip son.

Webber was instrumental in 2 out of 3 Vettel's titles.

#39 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:45

Not now that the points gaps has open up .... again. In the early races, it looked like Felipe was being allowed to run his own races.

Clearly he was allowed to do his racing but the thing it's that most of the time Massa is in no position to help Alonso because he is behind. Webber is going to help Vettel even if he don't want because helping Vettel means that he will get better results for him too.

Advertisement

#40 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:45

Webber was instrumental in 2 out of 3 Vettel's titles.

:eek: care to elaborate?

#41 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:51

I'm guessing Webber fighting for wins/podiums makes it harder for Alonso etc to get the win and close the points gap

#42 SgtPepperoni

SgtPepperoni

• 177 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:10

Since when was Nico the #2 at Merc? I must have missed that. I've always thought of him as the senior driver, having been in their service longer, and with a win under his belt already this year.

#43 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21

I'm guessing Webber fighting for wins/podiums makes it harder for Alonso etc to get the win and close the points gap

Well it is true. If Webber didn't overtake Alonso at Silverstone, then Vettel wouldn't have been WDC. So he effectively did a big favour for Vettel there.

#44 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:35

Amazing to think this deadwood is in championship contending cars.

#45 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:52

Well it is true. If Webber didn't overtake Alonso at Silverstone, then Vettel wouldn't have been WDC. So he effectively did a big favour for Vettel there.

Yes, that's a reason Mark Webber overtook Alonso in Silverstone :smoking:

Edited by mnmracer, 11 June 2013 - 09:52.

#46 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:54

Yes, that's a reason Mark Webber overtook Alonso in Silverstone :smoking:

Did i say it was the reason?

#47 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:02

Did i say it was the reason?

You seemed to imply it was a reason at all.
Otherwise, what was the purpose of your post?

#48 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:07

You seemed to imply it was a reason at all.
Otherwise, what was the purpose of your post?

That Webber could (and did) take points off Alonso. Not that hard to understand.

#49 ThomFi

ThomFi

• 633 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:56

That Webber could (and did) take points off Alonso. Not that hard to understand.

The topic is about how soon Nr. 2 drivers start driving to support their team mates (i.e. let them through if they are behind them, and try to hold up championship rivals).
"Support" in this sense means, they give assistance to the Nr. 1 driver and put their own interests to the side. The name "Webber" can be scratched from this list. Silverstone was hardly support in the meaning of the topic.

#50 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:57

Well Webber did move out of the way for Vettel in Brazil. Pilbeam said "Thanks Mark" afterwards.