• This topic is locked This topic is locked
189 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 16:55

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
Confirmation from Red Bull that it has extended Sebastian Vettel's contract to 2015
5:54 PM - 11 Jun 13

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 16:56

Dibs on 2016 Silly Season thread.

#3 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 16:59

Obviously utterly shocked at this since Andrew Benson was so insistent that he was off to Ferrari next year.

#4 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 16:59

Dibs on 2016 Silly Season thread.

:up: :)

#5 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:00

:up:

All we need now is a Raikkonen confirmation.

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:04

That's shocking. :lol:

#7 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:15

The other announcement can wait? What does that mean? If they found time for Seb, they could do for Webber as well.

#8 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:19

Why? Why the heck they would hire Raikkonen? I mean seriously, he is already old, and I can't see Raikkonen being Nr 2 driver.
I mean wow, that Kimi fan club is hilarious. Why the heck you want Kimi to be Nr 2 to Vettel is beyond me.

#9 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:22

Only one year more? When does Alonso's contract with Ferrari end? 2015 or 2016?
I really think Vettel is going to end up in Ferrari but not until Alonso leaves as they don't want two nº1 drivers, so until then it's not a surprise that he wants to stay in RBR

#10 JensonWDC

JensonWDC

• 478 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:25

YES YES YES, Yabba dabba doo! Rrring-ding-a-ding-ding!

#11 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:33

Why? Why the heck they would hire Raikkonen? I mean seriously, he is already old, and I can't see Raikkonen being Nr 2 driver.
I mean wow, that Kimi fan club is hilarious. Why the heck you want Kimi to be Nr 2 to Vettel is beyond me.

You're hilarious. Why would they hire Raikkonen? Well, let's see:

- it would strengthen their marketing by some margin
- two world champions in one team would create a better brand image
- they would have a strong backup in case Vettel decides to leave to Ferrari after 2015
- Raikkonen is twice as valuable as Webber (not to mention any of the crurent Toro Rosso drivers)
- from a racing perspective, he's faster, more consistent and reliable

Now, why the heck would I want Kimi to join Vettel? Red Bull has more potential to offer him a championship winning car in the next five years than Lotus. And plus I would like to see how he'd stack up against Vettel in the same car.

#12 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:41

Only one year more? When does Alonso's contract with Ferrari end? 2015 or 2016?
I really think Vettel is going to end up in Ferrari but not until Alonso leaves as they don't want two nº1 drivers, so until then it's not a surprise that he wants to stay in RBR

Alonso's control at Ferrari is only until his powers start to wane. After that he would face the same treatment Michael Schumacher faced. You can race alongside X, or you can leave. In 2016, Alonso would be 35-36 years old.

#13 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:41

- they would have a strong backup in case Vettel decides to leave to Ferrari after 2015
- Raikkonen is twice as valuable as Webber (not to mention any of the crurent Toro Rosso drivers)

Now, why the heck would I want Kimi to join Vettel? Red Bull has more potential to offer him a championship winning car in the next five years than Lotus. And plus I would like to see how he'd stack up against Vettel in the same car.

Kimi will be 37 in 2016

#14 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:46

Is he still earning peanuts?I find it outragous that a 3 time WDC is earning less than Jenson Button,and the worst thing is he seems all fine with it!
Surely they gave him a payrise,atleast to Hamilton's level?

#15 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:46

And do you really think that Kimi would beat Vettel? I highly doubt it, he is damn good, but at the very moment I rate Vettel sligthly higher. In worst case, Vettel smash Raikkonen like there is no tomorrow, and Autosport forum would meltdown due to conspiracy theories, cause Raikkonen CAN'T LOSE normally to Vettel. Result of such case would be: Even more hatred towards RBR and Vettel (cause he is their boy).

Also I simply can't see 2x Nr 1 driver in RBR. One of them would need to play 2nd, and I highly doubt that it would be Vettel.
And 2015? Well would you like to invest in a guy that is like 33 year old driver to prepare him after 2015 (he would be then 35, at the start of the season). He would race 1-2 seasons more and retire. What's the point? They have pretty good JEV and Ricciardo (I rate JEV slightly higher than Ricciardo).
It would be plain stupid to hire 33 year old (at the very moment) driver to take lead role after 2015. At the start of 2016 he would be already 36 year old (37 in October). Actually Raikkonen can retire as good as any next few season. I simply can't see RBR to prepare Raikkonen to take lead role in RBR.

And RBR Marketing? I mean seriously, they really need to strengthen that? Better brand image than RBR already has?
He is faster and more consisten but I highly doubt he would just be happy if Malaysia 2013 would repeat.

Edited by Shiroo, 11 June 2013 - 17:48.

#16 Cascade

Cascade

• 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:50

Any idea how long Adrian Newey's contract lasts until? [/sarcasm]

2015/6 will be interesting what with Vettel, Hamilton and, I'm guessing, maybe Rosberg all out of contract. Just gotta wait for a few years 'til that little circus starts, yus.

#17 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:51

Cue

"Ferrari have announced Felipe Massa has extended his contract until 2015"

#18 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:51

Good News. Could not really see him going to another team. It is best to stay with Red Bull at least for another season or two with the new regs. I would not even be surprised if he somehow manages to win championships up to 2015, he may even well say that's it I am off. He gave that impression just recently.

Edited by Massa_f1, 11 June 2013 - 17:52.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:53

Is he still earning peanuts?I find it outragous that a 3 time WDC is earning less than Jenson Button,and the worst thing is he seems all fine with it!

But if he gets a bonus per win....

Advertisement

#20 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:54

I think i read somewhere that he has a lower retainer (initial payment) but has fairly large bonuses for winning races/WDC's etc so his final earnings aren't that far off your Alonsos/Hamiltons.

#21 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 17:57

Are you guys discussing that Raikkonen should be signed on for 2014 so that he can lead the team in 2016 if Vettel leaves? Raikkonen is not the sort that would sign three year-contracts. He always has a leg outside F1. It is quite a stretch to hope that Raikkonen would stay on for more time (more than 2 years) than Vettel at Red Bull. If at all, this news rules out the possibility that Red Bull would sign Raikkonen in case Vettel leaves because Vettel is now secured for 2 more years. Quite the opposite.

#22 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:00

Obviously utterly shocked at this since Andrew Benson was so insistent that he was off to Ferrari next year.

based on what? his gut feeling?

#23 Nomore

Nomore

• 248 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:01

I think i read somewhere that he has a lower retainer (initial payment) but has fairly large bonuses for winning races/WDC's etc so his final earnings aren't that far off your Alonsos/Hamiltons.

All have bonus... Alonso has a 40M $ per year, while Vettel is 15M $ per year

Edited by Nomore, 11 June 2013 - 18:03.

#24 pUs

pUs

• 2,966 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:11

YES YES YES, Yabba dabba doo! Rrring-ding-a-ding-ding!

YES BABY! YES! That's what I'm talking about! :smoking:

#25 BlackGold

BlackGold

• 1,119 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:13

All have bonus... Alonso has a 40M $ per year, while Vettel is 15M $ per year

I doubt that Vettel only earns $15M including bonues....

Edited by BlackGold, 11 June 2013 - 18:13.

#26 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:22

Alonso will be 34-35 years old in 2016, I can't see anything happening but Vettel succeeding Alonso at Ferrari, I might just even begin supporting him, if that is the case.

Edited by Kingshark, 11 June 2013 - 18:22.

#27 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:24

Sensible. Why would Vettel want to leave Red Bull? The choice was all his 'cause obviously everyone with a say at Red Bull wanted him to stay.

#28 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:27

Cue

"Ferrari have announced Felipe Massa has extended his contract until 2015"

:lol: Until 2015 I don't know, but Domenicali has already said that if he continues in the same form all this season, he would be renewed for next year.

I've just read that Alonso's contract runs out in 2016, maybe we could see him and Vettel together that year and then Alonso retires.

#29 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:31

I've just read that Alonso's contract runs out in 2016, maybe we could see him and Vettel together that year and then Alonso retires.

If anything, Alonso would prefer to beat Seb than wait till his form lowers and leave the sport being conquered by his arch-rival in the same machinery. Unless he won't lose any of his speed in 2016.

#30 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:33

I have never understood this,I initialy thought the 13M was the retainer but that would be ridiculous considering all the GP's he has won,I dont think redbull would give a serial winner a $500000 per win bonus( they would be broke!)

#31 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:46

Kimi was never earning peanuts. His salary was low but his bonus last year was HUGE.

#32 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:49

Surely they gave him a payrise, atleast to Hamilton's level?

He really is though. :lol: ‘I would drive in F1 for free’ Maybe he shouldn't have said that out loud and multiple times. /joking

+1 and I believe he got a pay raise already this year. Most likely far more in the next years.

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:58

I have never understood this,I initialy thought the 13M was the retainer but that would be ridiculous considering all the GP's he has won,I dont think redbull would give a serial winner a $500000 per win bonus( they would be broke!)

You wouldn't pay a driver 23million to win every single race?

#34 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:02

To all the people who were so convinced and wanted us to believe that Vettel would join Ferrari shortly:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#35 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:06

You wouldn't pay a driver 23million to win every single race?

Now that is an angle I had not thought of mate!
Let me throw it back to the forum,in a hypothetical world,a driver would guarantee you 20/20 race wins per season,how much would you pay him?

#36 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:06

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
Confirmation from Red Bull that it has extended Sebastian Vettel's contract to 2015
5:54 PM - 11 Jun 13

The 1 year extension clearly comes from Vettel, not Red Bull. I am sure RB would extend to 2020 if they could get him to agree. This seems a fairly obvious play from Vettel to wait it out before joining Ferrari. He certainly doesn't want to join whilst Fernando is at Ferrari, but he does want to be like MS and drive for Ferrari. I would be willing to bet that he would have signed up whenever Ferrari asked him if he was offered the job to drive alongside someone like Rubens.

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:15

Let me throw it back to the forum,in a hypothetical world,a driver would guarantee you 20/20 race wins per season,how much would you pay him?

...one of those gestures in Ravenak's post.

#38 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:23

As little as you can get him to agree to

#39 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:24

Alonso will be 34-35 years old in 2016, I can't see anything happening but Vettel succeeding Alonso at Ferrari, I might just even begin supporting him, if that is the case.

Edit, nevermind.

edit: Vettel certainly makes enough money to afford peace of mind and what I guess he must consider the best job in the world. I don't think he'd ever resort to "XYZ makes more money than me, it's unacceptable!".

Edited by Atreiu, 11 June 2013 - 21:05.

Advertisement

#40 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 20:00

Vettel supporting Alonso?
If anything, it will be on equal grounds or Alonso doing the supporting after Vettel arrives with his bag of trophies.

edit: Vettel certainly makes enough money to afford peace of mind and what I guess he must consider the best job in the world. I don't think he'd ever resort to "XYZ makes more money than me, it's unacceptable!".

equal grounds in Ferrari? Oh man.

#41 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 20:03

you probably need to re-read the post you quoted :)

#42 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 20:06

I said that I will be supporting Vettel if he moves to Ferrari, learn how to read.

If anything, it will be on equal grounds or Alonso doing the supporting after Vettel arrives with his bag of trophies.

As if, you'd think that Massa would be supporting Raikkonen back in 2008, after all, Kimi's CV was much more impressive. That's not what happened.

Ferrari don't care about how many trophies you have, they support the better driver. Simple.

#43 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 20:42

One thing I'm wondering, didn't Horner say not that long ago that they wouldn't think about future contracts and driver pairings "until later in the summer"... did they change their mind or it was only about who would get the 2nd seat for 2014?

#44 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 20:44

One thing I'm wondering, didn't Horner say not that long ago that they wouldn't think about future contracts and driver pairings "until later in the summer"... did they change their mind or it was only about who would get the 2nd seat for 2014?

Vettel's contract probably auto-renewed, performance clauses etc

But yeah, doubt Horner was referring to Vettel, since he was already signed up for 2014. He was referring to who would partner Vettel in 2014.

#45 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:04

you probably need to re-read the post you quoted :)

Ops, my bad.

#46 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:09

You really think Kimi would be happy to play the #2 role?

I doubt it.

Personally I'd bet on a Toro Rosso driver getting it, that way Seb has a driver who will happily play the #2 role.

Edited by Longtimefan, 11 June 2013 - 21:11.

#47 Mally11

Mally11

• 172 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:51

All this talk of #2 role is starting to annoy me, the team will treat both equally until there is a situation when only one can win the title.

It was exactly the same with Webber in 2010. The team were fully behind both drivers and it was Webber himself who cost himself the title. Don't forget Webber was arguably the better driver in the first half of 2012 but reliability later on hindered his title campaign. The team may prefer Vettel only because he has come through the Red Bull programme but not regarding results or driver preference.

It's only Helmut Marko who would want Vettel to win all the time as he has a history with Vettel.

Please bring forward evidence of 100% proof of a #2 system at Red Bull.

#48 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:04

All this talk of #2 role is starting to annoy me, the team will treat both equally until there is a situation when only one can win the title.

It was exactly the same with Webber in 2010. The team were fully behind both drivers and it was Webber himself who cost himself the title. Don't forget Webber was arguably the better driver in the first half of 2012 but reliability later on hindered his title campaign. The team may prefer Vettel only because he has come through the Red Bull programme but not regarding results or driver preference.

It's only Helmut Marko who would want Vettel to win all the time as he has a history with Vettel.

Please bring forward evidence of 100% proof of a #2 system at Red Bull.

Ferrari says the same usually. Do you believe that Massa has the same chance to win title as Alonso?

Why would RBR put 2 drivers in situation where they would be worst enemies. It is clear that RBR will be contender each year almost, so to win a title, first thing you need to do, is beat your teammate. WHy not invest in some young gun that will be the nr 1 driver after Vettel will change the team or so
And what's the point of bringing the driver that could hamper their star driver? Why not bring some young gun so he will learn, yet he won't interrupt Vettel for next titles? I mean... Raikkonen is old already. What's the point? And he will retire before Vettel

Edited by Shiroo, 11 June 2013 - 22:06.

#49 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:06

To all the people who were so convinced and wanted us to believe that Vettel would join Ferrari shortly:

YES BABY, dats what I'm talk-kink in about

#50 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:13

Too bad. I would have love to see Sebastian in a low traction, low EBD, low aero car

A no brainer move unless Renault tanks it big time with the new engine