* * * - - 1 votes

Mr. F1?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:03

I was going through some of my high school eassys i wrote and there was one titled 'Mr F1-Michael Scumacher'.It was basicaly a write up on the most well known athlete at the time-his past,his ups,downs,his flaws etc. It was preety good,infact I won an award for it from the school.
It got me thinking,every one at that time knew who Shumi was,even the ones who hated F1.However, if I would have done a write up (at that time) of lets say Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikonnen,nobody would have known who I was talking about.
So who is the current 'Mr f1'?My personal choice is Lewis Hamilton.Hate him or love him he generates alot of column inches and if anyone mentions F1 they are bound to mention Lewis.Please note,I am not talking about the most popular driver,rather the one who the world identifys F1 with.What do you guys think?

Advertisement

#2 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:04

noone

#3 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:08

Bernie, alas.

#4 Nomore

Nomore

• 248 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:11

Adrian Newey

#5 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:18

William Pulsebeat.

#6 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:27

I don't think there's currently anyone as well known outside of motorsport circles as Schumacher was.

However, when I was at a local karting track recently, a lot of the 10-15 year old kids were wearing Red Bull/Vettel caps. And Ferrari, of course - always Ferrari.;)

Edited by Nonesuch, 12 June 2013 - 09:28.

#7 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:34

Adrian Newey

Oh dear. Certain drivers really have an enourmous impact on their followers, who even develop exactly the same obsessions as their hero.

#8 Barabas

Barabas

• 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:40

Bernie, alas.

He was the first one that came to my mind too :well:

From the drivers:

- Maybe Alonso as he already has 2 Championships and drives for the biggest, most popular and most important team in F1 but missing out on a title the last 3 years is hurting his position as Mr F1

- Lewis was hyped by the press as the new Mr. F1 but after his title the results are failing him. 7 years in a top team and only 1 title to show for is just not enough, he does however generate a lot of press for all the right and sometimes wrong reasons.

- Seb Vettel has the titles and the records to show for it and if he continues on his winning way he'll surely become the new Mr. F1 and successor to Michael Schumacher. The fact that he has a media adverse personality and that he drives for a non-traditional team like Red Bull doesn't help his case though.

So for now I'd say the position is still vacant

#9 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:47

He was the first one that came to my mind too :well:

From the drivers:

- Maybe Alonso as he already has 2 Championships and drives for the biggest, most popular and most important team in F1 but missing out on a title the last 3 years is hurting his position as Mr F1

- Lewis was hyped by the press as the new Mr. F1 but after his title the results are failing him. 7 years in a top team and only 1 title to show for is just not enough, he does however generate a lot of press for all the right and sometimes wrong reasons.

- Seb Vettel has the titles and the records to show for it and if he continues on his winning way he'll surely become the new Mr. F1 and successor to Michael Schumacher. The fact that he has a media adverse personality and that he drives for a non-traditional team like Red Bull doesn't help his case though.

So for now I'd say the position is still vacant

You raise a good point about Lewis,its not realy his sucess on the race track that gathers column inches but his relationship with Nicole and his lifestyle isnt it?
On the other hand Schumi was all track side,even his bad headline making antics were all on the track,same with Vettel actualy and to a larger extent Alonso.Might have to rethink my choice.

#10 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:48

In countries where there are superstar drivers, most of the non race fan population has heard of the individual and relates F1 with them, like all sports. World status (i.e., Michael Jordan) you either have to do something extraordinary or have a phenomenal PR group.

#11 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:48

It's still Schumacher. Of my non-F1 following American friends, most of them only recognize his name and a few recognize Senna because of the recent documentary. None of the current drivers register.

#12 Nomore

Nomore

• 248 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:51

Oh dear. Certain drivers really have an enourmous impact on their followers, who even develop exactly the same obsessions as their hero.

my dear friend, i'm not a driver fan and i don't like any particular driver.

I'm a car Fan and a Ferrari fan (i will always support Ferraris driver whoever they are) but i recognize Newey is the best out there...i want him to work for my team, he has dominated the last 3 championships and is in a way for a 4th...it reminds me a 2000-2004 era for the red team...so in my opinion he is clearly the Mr.F1 of this era

Edited by Nomore, 12 June 2013 - 09:52.

#13 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:59

Are any of them truly that high profile outside of motor racing or general sports-interest circles?

It's certainly not true that "everyone" knew who Schumacher was, even at the height of his powers. Several times he has said his favoured holiday destination is the USA, as he can wander around in any part of the country and go unrecognised.

Just chucking in a quick EDIT having seen the post from "Nomore" above mine. A couple of months back I stood next to Mr Newey in the National Science Museum in London, I wasn't particularly bothered to be honest. He was with a family member so I certainly wasn't going to bother him, not that I would have done anyway. What could you possibly say that hasn't been said to him before?

Of the thousands of people milling around inside the museum I have to say either nobody had a clue who he was or nobody else was bothered either. He's not a superstar by any means, but I guess he's known amongst "us".

Possibly going slightly too far down the "star" route here, but I don't really get star worship outside of their "workplace". I've shook hands and grabbed photos at gigs and races but I couldn't think of anything more insulting to somebody than stopping them on the street etc. I recall a letter in F1 Racing magazine years ago slating Jacques Villenueve for refusing a photo or autograph to somebody while walking around in Soho. The person still took a photo (blurred) of JV as he continued walking with his pal. I'm sure they said he was polite in his refusal, but they still criticised him because "we pay his wages" etc etc. Hmmm....not while he is out shopping you don't.

Edited by Imperial, 12 June 2013 - 10:05.

#14 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:06

Adrian Newey

LOL!

I doubt that.

#15 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:10

Takuma Sato.

#16 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:12

Bernie

#17 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:18

Mr. F1? we talking about sexyness? :p Seb and Nico & Esteban win with the ladies :p.... Button and Webber too I guess... even Alonso

but my personal favorite is Charles Pic.... I want to see him playing that guy in Equus you know? He just makes my hormones go crazy...

And being serious: thats really hard to say I think the person that stands most for F1 in general in Bernie... but there are so many people important for F1

Edited by Sin, 12 June 2013 - 15:20.

#18 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:47

its lewis isnt it? has the most amount of fans and anti fans, gets tons of press and coverage.

similer situation in napcar, dale jr is huge, but is only pretty damn good.

#19 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:08

Giedo?

Advertisement

#20 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:45

Taki?

Maybe Gaston.

#21 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:47

Noone :|

Of course for UK residents it will be Hamilton, for Spain Alonso, and for Germany Vettel. But there is no worldwide name at the moment. I know noone in my family and close friends would ever know current names if not for me.

#22 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:09

Michael Schumacher is Good.

#23 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:41

Depends on the country.

In UK must be Lewis, but doubt that's the case globally.

#24 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:42

It's still Schumacher. None of the current drivers come close.

#25 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:54

I think every decade has its Mr. F1. In nineties it was Michael Schumacher's name you would heard, before him someone else, today you have new names on the block. In Spain Alonso, in GB Hamilton or Button, elsewhere Sebastian's name might come up. There is never one, or something. It is always about a driver, and what media do with him. My indirect family, influenced by British media, is totally ignorant of F1, God bless them, but they know with absolute certainty that Vettel is a criminal who for some reasons is still managing to run free from criminal justice. (So, we have an agreement; no discussion about F1 during lunch hours).

Edited by Sakae, 12 June 2013 - 18:55.

#26 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:12

Murray Walker

#27 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,557 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:08

Ayrton Senna.

Edited by George Costanza, 13 June 2013 - 03:08.

#28 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:06

MSC in India at least. I am Lewis fan and racing fans know him but outside that, many have heard only of MSC.

#29 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:30

Here's a test: Does this sound right?

"Who do you think you are - Sebastian Vettel?"

Maybe it just needs some time ...

#30 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:57

Vettel - when he joins Ferrari in a few years or keeps winning titles.

#31 Lantern

Lantern

• 2,408 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:10

It's still Schumacher. None of the current drivers come close.

QFT! He's still the man. If Fernando would have taken two titles from Seb he MAY have had a shot. Now it's up to Seb if he wants to go to the red team and take home a few titles for the shot at being the face of F1 for a decade.

#32 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:19

I keep hearing this every time I read the title

#33 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:18

Kenkip, could you publish the report? Would like to read it! :p

#34 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:16

Kenkip, could you publish the report? Would like to read it! :p

I am making plans to start a blog,once its up and running it will be one of the first items to go up!Will provide a link mate.

#35 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:29

QFT! He's still the man. If Fernando would have taken two titles from Seb he MAY have had a shot. Now it's up to Seb if he wants to go to the red team and take home a few titles for the shot at being the face of F1 for a decade.

I dont think Seb realy has to go to Ferrari to get there.If he nails 8 or 9 titles in redbull he will be Mr.F1 regardless.
IMO he actualy needs more episodes like multi 21 to realy cement his position there,or go Lewis Hamilton's way and be a celebrity,whichever he fancies.
Some are saying Alonso,I think he is past the age to start a dominant era again,he blew that chance in 2007-2009,and when he finaly settled in a team that had his back 100% the RBR/Vettel nightmare started.
Bernie??Not a chance guys.He is well known maybe around the European circle of fans but around the world I realy doubt his name ring a bell.
I will still stick with my choice of Hamilton,though Seb has a long shot at it.

#36 RedRocksF1

RedRocksF1

• 99 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:40

Fernando missed that possibility as you said. Anyway, none of the current drivers trascends the sport. And for doing it not only are the titles, there are other points like the charismatic personality or a couple of legendary races, or a rivalry etc...

I think only Senna and then Schumi were well known out of F1.

For the future, maybe Lewis if he starts some succesful years with mercedes, and the same for Alonso. It depends on the circunstances, the way of wining, the media around the races and so on. Vettel maybe but as I said I think it´s not only about wining, and Vettel lacks a lot of charisma.

#37 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:14

Fernando missed that possibility as you said. Anyway, none of the current drivers trascends the sport. And for doing it not only are the titles, there are other points like the charismatic personality or a couple of legendary races, or a rivalry etc...

I think only Senna and then Schumi were well known out of F1.

For the future, maybe Lewis if he starts some succesful years with mercedes, and the same for Alonso. It depends on the circunstances, the way of wining, the media around the races and so on. Vettel maybe but as I said I think it´s not only about wining, and Vettel lacks a lot of charisma.

This charisma,what exactly do you mean by that?

#38 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:17

I think this is actually a very legitimate way to test it.

#39 metz

metz

• 15,874 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:33

In North America, that would, without doubt, be Mario Andretti.

Advertisement

#40 DoodoolTalla

DoodoolTalla

• 393 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:37

Schumacher for sure. When ever I talk to people that don't know anything about F1, the first thing they say is Schumacher and if he's still racing. However in the uk it's becoming Hamilton.

#41 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,659 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 16:41

In the UK it went direct from Moss to Mansell, but by the time Hamilton was on the scene sarcastic policemen had been largely replaced by speed cameras.

#42 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 16:44

In the pub quiz I go to some rival team named a picture of a female tennis player as kimi raikkonen. So it's not him.

I'd say its still Michael.

#43 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 16:55

Schumacher is still the King of F1, all those titles, controversies and years driving for Ferrari made him a household name around the World.

If anyone can replicate that it is Vettel or Alonso, time is running out for the Spaniard though. If Vettel joins Ferrari keeps winning and is involved in more 'multi 21' type incidents then it will be him.

#44 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:11

Schumacher's name is as famous as Muhammad Ali's and Mike Tyson's.

#45 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:27

The current driver who the world identifies F1 with:
Very intriguing question.

I would say not one single person. A combination of Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen mostly.

If by Mr. F1, one thinks of the most presentable F1 driver, I would say Vettel.

#46 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:20

Vettel

More Newey than Vettel. Vettel is no better than other drivers from top6. If not superb car, he would never be champion.

I would say Fernando Alonso is mr. F1 today - he is currently the best, most complete driver on the grid.

#47 Nomore

Nomore

• 248 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:33

More Newey than Vettel. Vettel is no better than other drivers from top6. If not superb car, he would never be champion.

I would say Fernando Alonso is mr. F1 today - he is currently the best, most complete driver on the grid.

Don't tell that to Vettel's fans :lol: ...they hate the truth...

#48 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:03

There's currently no Mr. F1, like Schumacher was. Maybe Senna in the past as well. Schumacher now is still more famous worldwide than Vettel or Alonso. Maybe atm Hamilton is most famous, for his relationship with Nicole (ends up on lot of gossip blogs about celebrities because of it).

#49 BRG

BRG

• 25,950 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 20:25

Schumacher now is still more famous worldwide than Vettel or Alonso.

I think Schuey is still the name that the average non-racefan worldwide will remember if you say 'Formula One'.

In the UK, perhaps Lewis is catching up, but probably not elsewhere.

#50 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,659 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:53

A popular UK quiz show (Pointless) had a round today in which 100 members of the public were asked to name as many F1 world champions as they could.

The top answer was Schumacher (71%), followed by Hamilton (48%) and Senna (44%).

Hawthorn was the only 0% answer, and Jim Clark was only named by a disappointingly low 2% of the population surveyed.

Edited by E.B., 20 June 2013 - 16:57.