- - - - -

Assetto Corsa [merged]

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:44

Has anyone here tried the technology preview of Assetto Corsa? I have high expectations from this one. Tons of amazing cars, good graphics and good physics engine.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/

I just read on their Facebook page that they will release the Spa track. Hope the game comes out soon! :love:

Edited by gilez, 15 June 2013 - 05:47.

Advertisement

#2 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 14:22

Has anyone here tried the technology preview of Assetto Corsa? I have high expectations from this one. Tons of amazing cars, good graphics and good physics engine.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/

I just read on their Facebook page that they will release the Spa track. Hope the game comes out soon! :love:

The technology preview is a pretty good "demo" of the game. Only one car and one track, but it was enough to get me interested in getting the full title when it gets released. The driving experience is pretty good, although with only 1 car you cannot compare different cars to see if the handling changes as expected. The lotus can be a bit tricky driving, i suspect it is the mid engine that makes it a bit hard to catch when the tail step out (easy to over correct or to be to slow correcting).

Sound and GFX are ok, but not revolutionary by any means. I do like the "style" of gfx they have gone for in the demo, as it is a clean and "realistic" looking even though a bit "dull" compared to the arcade racers out there. Sound is pretty ok and does their job. The the engine is a bit muffled, although it could well be thats exactly how it sounds from the inside of an lotus elise with standard air intake and exhausts :)

My only complaint is that on my setup, the Force Feedback has a bit "lack of feel", BUT to be honest, i haven't tried much settings, so that might be my own fault, and not the sim...

#3 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:52

Extremely high hopes for this title.

I was a huge fan of netKar Pro. Never drove anything that came remotely close to it's feeling. So realistic! Too bad it was unpolished and the online part failed.

AC seems to have a bigger budget and more people working on it. The tech demo is excellent. Good performance on my 4 year old computer and more refined physics than netKar Pro. Now that AC is going to be on steam, I excpect it to be a huge success.

And it looks amazing. Just watch this!

#4 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 00:03

The beta of Assetto Corsa is available on Steam. I read enthusiastic reviews, anyone tried it yet? I need to get myself a PC capable of running it..

#5 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:58

The beta of Assetto Corsa is available on Steam. I read enthusiastic reviews, anyone tried it yet? I need to get myself a PC capable of running it..

I bought the "beta" on steam this weekend, and so far i'm pretty happy with Assetto Corsa (AC). 

Compared to iRacing, perfer both the gfx and the sound in iRacing, but both are fine in AC. The sound is a bit "muffled" compared to iRacing when driving, and the gfx seems a bit "crisper" on iRacing (it must be said that i prefer the iRacing gfx over the effect crazy titles like Need for speed and such). Keep in mind that AC is not a finished product, so both sound and gfx could get changed before the proper release for what i know.

As for the pysics/handling, it is pretty much the same story as with the gfx and sound. iRacing i feel has more information going through the FF of the wheel, and has a bit sharper handling (although harder to controll). AC has less FF (default settings mind you, i've just sat down and lapped, not changing much other than bumping the GFX to the best settings and assigning the H-gear of the g27 etc), and is more forgiving when driving over kerbs of if you have a more agressive driving style. The obvious car to comapre is the Lotus 49, being present in both, but i have tried most of the cars in AC, and the general feeling i have is as i stated above.

That makes it all come down to personal preferences what sim you like the best. I still prefer iRacing as a pure driving experience, but AC is more instant fun (especially since i have a rather agressive dringing stye, and AC is more forgiving when i throw the car into the turn). I think that AC in multiplayer would probably be more fun for me personally than iRacing just because it is that little bit easier to drive, and more forgiving, when you battle for track position...

PS: i use an intel i7-3770k cpu (stock speed), 8gb ram, installed on an SSD drive, and i use a nvidia 680 gfx card - all hooked up to a 27" monitor with 2.1 sound and a g27 wheel and pedals setup

Edited by mahelgel, 17 November 2013 - 17:00.

#6 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:17

Thanks for the review, one last question: do you have any FPS issue in your configuration? I want to get an Nvidia card and I am pondering which model would fit without being too expensive..

#7 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 18:00

Thanks for the review, one last question: do you have any FPS issue in your configuration? I want to get an Nvidia card and I am pondering which model would fit without being too expensive..

As for now (single player, no weather effects etc) i don't have any fps issues, but i didn't find a key to show the FPS while driving, so i am not sure how much i have "in reserve" before i get framedrops.

#8 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 23:23

As for now (single player, no weather effects etc) i don't have any fps issues, but i didn't find a key to show the FPS while driving, so i am not sure how much i have "in reserve" before i get framedrops.

if your car is in the pits or on track you can put your mouse to the right side of the screen, there are all the screens you could ever want including fps count

#9 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:20

EDIT: Mahelgel!! That was a familiar name, even though you dropped off the simracing radar when NGPLS went under! Fun to see old guys again! :) I run everything maxed out on my 580 (3GB vRam). But that is just barely good enough! :)

Edited by Myrvold, 18 November 2013 - 06:22.

#10 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:43

EDIT: Mahelgel!! That was a familiar name, even though you dropped off the simracing radar when NGPLS went under! Fun to see old guys again! :) I run everything maxed out on my 580 (3GB vRam). But that is just barely good enough! :)

Hi!

Yeah, after the NGPLS i signed up for iRacing, but never really got the same joy out of that as i did with GPL, but getting the Lotus 49 helped. I've also tried out rFactor 2, and now Assetto Corsa, still trying to find that buzz GPL once gave :p

How do you compare Assetto Corsa to iRacing btw?

#11 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:04

I haven't touched iRacing for over a year, so my comparison is based on not-up-to-date experiences.

iRacing's tire model is good, in the sense it offers quite a bit of depth and gradualness of loss of grip, but the main point during the 4 years I played it always remained the same; a basic lack of grip. The Mx5 can be quite a difficuilt car to control, as can the Skip. It slides and slides and slides. While you can correct the slides usually, the point where cars in iRacing start to slide starts too early.

AC has based its philosophy on the idea that basically any car is easy to drive, if you take it easy. Only once you start to push harder, the cars become harder to control. And even when you arrive at this point, the cars should behave fairly predictable. It is exactly this feeling I experience when I drive around in AC. I love it. To me, it feels more similar to my real life experiences in regular road cars and limited experience on the race track.

AC has the benefit of the very limited cost (only 35 euro's now), while iRacing is crazy expensive. Both have laserscanned tracks, but AC is also open to the modding community, who surely will fill any gaps car or trackwise. Graphically, AC uses an DX11 engine, which offers more effects. Some people have issues with getting the AA and AF to work correctly, but that is easily solvable.

At the moment iRacing is miles ahead in terms of being a finished product and their online infrastructure will problaby never be matched by any other simtitle (the online experience of iRacing is the only thing I do really miss). But for the driving experience, Assetto Corsa is already well and well ahead for me, and the good thing: it only has just started.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 22:08

Hi!

Yeah, after the NGPLS i signed up for iRacing, but never really got the same joy out of that as i did with GPL, but getting the Lotus 49 helped. I've also tried out rFactor 2, and now Assetto Corsa, still trying to find that buzz GPL once gave :p

How do you compare Assetto Corsa to iRacing btw?

Ah, I got into rFactor, and still run that some times each week. For me, that gave me everything I needed. rF2 have a lot of work to be done, and the same goes for AC.

Never got into the iRacing groove. Being a student, without a job for 3 years, iRacing wasn't what I used my money on. And while it felt good, I never felt it was as much better as the price would indicate. I think AC right now is a tiny step behind iRacing and rF2 (due to features etc.) but that it have a great potential. The problem with that is NetKar Pro, who also had a great potential, but never got the updates it deserved.

Regarding modding and Assetto Corsa. I don't feel too good about it. It is a Steam-only game. And i really don't think FOM&Codemasters will be happy to see another game showing F1 cars.

#13 Mark8539

Mark8539

• 38 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 14:55

I haven't touched iRacing for over a year, so my comparison is based on not-up-to-date experiences.

iRacing's tire model is good, in the sense it offers quite a bit of depth and gradualness of loss of grip, but the main point during the 4 years I played it always remained the same; a basic lack of grip. The Mx5 can be quite a difficuilt car to control, as can the Skip. It slides and slides and slides. While you can correct the slides usually, the point where cars in iRacing start to slide starts too early.

iRacing's tyre model has had a lot of updates over the last year and the grip is much improved now for many of the cars - the Skip Barber is awesome now - although it's an ongoing process as the latest iteration of the tyre model hasn't made it yet to the faster cars.

As for Assetto Corsa, so far it's great. Great graphics, great content, great to drive.

I see myself playing iRacing for online racing, which I don't think will be matched by AC or anyone else for quite some time, and then AC for offline racing assuming the AI is up to scratch.

#14 jaisli

jaisli

• 1,267 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:48

Lot's of 'small' tweaks with the latest update.  And a few big ones:  Zonda R & Mugello now available to drive!   :up:  :clap:

#15 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:24

The Zonda R is fast, although, i felt it had a bit weak brakes, but it might just be that i was travling towards the turn at a much higher speed than before :blush:

#16 AlesiUK

AlesiUK

• 2,852 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 20:00

Just downloaded this from Steam after reading a few reviews. I am not a hardcore simmer or race sim player (not since about GP3.....) and i dont even have a wheel.

What i like about AC is that is combines the great physics, sounds, effects et al withing being somewhat accessible to non hardcore players. I use a PS4 dualshock and with the right settings it is possible to really enjoy. I need to figure out how to map the throttle/break to the right stick so i can analogue it, but other than that i enjoy a nice level of sim/gaming (although im a pad user, i detest things like Need for Speed).

I did the classic in this game - Started off by taking out an old M3, on semi-sicks, around silverstone. After a few laps i was doing ok so thought id change things up a bit. Went out in an F40 at Monza, without the driver aids..............after crashing coming out the pitbox, going straight on at the first chicane, then losing it on the straight between the lesmo's i realised i have much to learn. :lol:

#17 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:25

As I see it, in iRacing you have to struggle to drive slower, you are too easily tempted to brake a yard too late, go on the throttle a yard too early or simply drive too fast into a corner. Specially if you go from  a fast car to a slow one - you feel that you are driving so slow that mosquitoes will catch up with you but still you spin in the corners. In Asseto Corsa I never have that problem, it feels natural in that sense that even if it is the first time I drive a certain car at a certain track, I usually complete the first lap without incidents even if I push occasionally. That has so far never happened to me in iRacing.

So, for me AC feels much more natural to drive, my real car experience is useful in AC. iRacing might be more realistic, but I don't feel it.

#18 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 21:11

Yesterday the Ferrari 312T was released:

312T016-1024x576.jpg

apart from the sounds, which are mediocre to my ear, it is an absolute blast to drive. It is so much fun! Getting this thing sideways is mandatory to rotate in the slower corners. And exciting 3rd/4th gear corners with a controllable drift is just pure driving joy. I'm surprised so few people post here about AC.

No other guys around here playing AC?

Edited by Requiem84, 29 March 2014 - 21:12.

#19 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 13:54

Yesterday the Ferrari 312T was released:

312T016-1024x576.jpg

apart from the sounds, which are mediocre to my ear, it is an absolute blast to drive. It is so much fun! Getting this thing sideways is mandatory to rotate in the slower corners. And exciting 3rd/4th gear corners with a controllable drift is just pure driving joy. I'm surprised so few people post here about AC.

Still on the fence, but that Ferrari sure looks tempting....

Advertisement

#20 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 14:39

I'm not very keen on purchasing half-finished or endless-beta products, but that does look interesting. Certainly a title to keep an eye on! :up:

#21 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 20:16

Fair enough, you can always wait for the final product. 

However, the physics and tire model are by no means 'half finished'. To me, it already blows away the competition in terms of feel. I acknowledge that this is quite subjective, but to me AC feels spot on in terms of weight transfer, transition between grip/no grip etc. 

What AC does lack though, is features. No multiplayer yet, no career mode, no dynamic weather etc. But you can have quite some fun for 34 euro's :)

#22 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 21:56

Downloaded the update tonight, and drove the 312t a bit, and liked it. Only thing i found a bit strange was i felt the field of view was off compared to the other cars (hard to explain), might just be the small front tiers, but the car felt a bit narrow... Didn't notice it when i drove the BMW 1M after though

#23 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:12

Yes, the latest updates are really good! AI has improved a lot and i even get better fps. Driving these cars is sheer pleasure, now waiting for Spa and for the full Nordschliefe!

#24 Gemini

Gemini

• 3,808 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:04

I am in since day one :up:

It's early stages for this simulator. As of now it's more driving simulator than racing one and with limited features. But things that are there are top class.

#25 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 15:53

Yes, the latest updates are really good! AI has improved a lot and i even get better fps. Driving these cars is sheer pleasure, now waiting for Spa and for the full Nordschliefe!

I took the bait and downloaded it. Even tho im stuck with the 360 controller it feels good, I mean, the controller literally comes alive! Can't wait to plug this into my DFGT! But I can't say the same about the AI, it's still a bit basic when it comes to dealing with you, if you are slower they just ram you, at least I was getting rammed, but I did notice that if you are close to their speed they behave better.

All cars seem to have unique personalities, the Lotus 49 drives on ice as expected and it's one car that screams for a wheel and pedal set, RWD cars get twitchy if you floor the throttle at the wrong time, the P4/5 was a suprise in the sense that it feels glued to the track, probably a good option for complete rookies because it looks good is powerfull and is forgiving.

Things I liked:

- you can literally mix up any car on a race up to the track's pit limits, want to race your 49 against the 125? no problem! you can even toss the elise.

- active controller rumbling makes up for a good experience if you don't have a wheel

- cars feel unique

- CPU overload warning, usefull for when you are pushing visuals, but even at 95% I got no slowdowns, I am assuming it's more related to the need to simulated over 20 AI cars

- sounds seem fair

- looks seem fair as well, personally I dont see how Crysis visuals would help a simulation more, I like the looks already and the cars look very detailed

- official licenses, no look alike knock-offs that may get pulled out in the next build, very hopefull to see a Mclaren license in the prospect that they launch historical cars

- doesn't take ages to load assets (this I can atest since im not using SSD or a top speed drive)

- current challenges are a good warm-up for when it's time to be crushed by aliens, but don't be fooled thinking they are easy

Could use some work

- UI, not the most intuitive menu I have seen, but it works for a beta

- AI, sometimes it ignores the player, sometimes it races the player, or it simply does not like Red17

- the 49 could use some company, you know... a 312 or maybe a M5...

- it's a crime to release the P4/5 without a red option, yes I know it's a german prototype, but it's the closest thing we have to a LMP1 Ferrari

- the drag racing challenge needs a fix as you can cheat

There is also a steam achievement that is a take on GPL aliens, plus a reference to the Chapman-Clark duo.

I hope the developers take good hearing when implementing Multiplayer, one of the downfalls of Nascar 13 (not a true sim I know) was the absence of dedicated server option and lobbies.

#26 rtechmobile

rtechmobile

• 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:47

I,m loving AC and some of the cars are really very nice to drive like the little Abarth 500 and the Lotus Exige Scura are delights to drive hard . Not all cars are there yet but they're enough to make it well worth a purchase I'm into Pcars as well and I think AC has the edge at the moment.

Just bring on multiplayer !!

#27 C3PO

C3PO

• 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 13:10

Yes, AC has been a source of regular surprise for me -- out of the box all the cars feel just right at the wheel, great FFB and great handling. Impressed with the recent performance improvements, better lighting in the last build and the official licences. AI needs improving of course and the proof of the pudding will be in the strength and feature set of the MP engine (with one day the abilty to do live driver swaps) and the implementation of proper pit stops in SP and MP. But the product is on course to be a stellar endurance racing simulator. Pretty amazing for ten or so guys. Impressed with the way they've handled the publicity too.

Edit: forgot to add full 24-hour lighting cycle important too sometime. And no need to big up the laser-scanned Nords for September release.

Edited by C3PO, 08 April 2014 - 13:16.

#28 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 23:27

Multiplayer on Friday. :)

#29 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:01

Multiplayer on Friday. :)

Shhh, let's first see wether it's any good before we promote it ;).

#30 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 17:51

Well yea, its still in Early Access, so its basically just the multiplayer beta, but its still exciting.

#31 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:08

Todays the day :clap:

#32 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:20

Hopefully....

#33 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 14:52

Such dissapoint

#34 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 16:14

Lol, I learned my lesson with RF2 and Project CARS, and wouldnt touch this with a barge pole after their last effort.

Theya re talented guys, but havent got a clue about business and how to treat customers, either through lack of time or simply not enough people to manage the product.

Never give these people money until the project is finished

Cant believe RF are still trying to charge people again for such an unfinished product.

#35 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 15:50

RF was made by Kunos?

AC MP is live now btw :clap:

#36 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 22:44

Its turning out very well with AC! Just make sure you have a fast connection, to avoid laghits. Superb game!

#37 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:35

Lol, I learned my lesson with RF2 and Project CARS, and wouldnt touch this with a barge pole after their last effort.

Theya re talented guys, but havent got a clue about business and how to treat customers, either through lack of time or simply not enough people to manage the product.

Never give these people money until the project is finished

Cant believe RF are still trying to charge people again for such an unfinished product.

I haven't tried those, but I don't regret even for a second buying AC early access. Yes, many things are missing. But what you get is already amazing, IMHO. Just had a great race with AI cars on Vallelunga, Tatuus Formula Abarth. Just feels so good!

#38 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 14:57

The game is half price in the Steam sale atm so got it for £15. Only given it a little half hour run before my laptop wondered what the hell i was doing to it and the frame rate dropped beyond being playable. Apart from that, it seems pretty great on first impressions.

#39 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 20:02

Lotus 98T press "cntrl + 0" for 100% turbo boost => MONSTER

Advertisement

#40 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:02

Lotus 98T press "cntrl + 0" for 100% turbo boost => MONSTER

wheelspinn can be an issue in the first 3 gears though :o

Did some laps in iracing with the Ford Spec Racer, then i drove AC a bit, and even though AC is good, i felt it lacked some of the "fidelity" of Iracing. Still, trying to not kill my self in the Lotus 98T on full boost was pretty fun  :p

#41 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:03

@mahelgel " Still, trying to not kill my self in the Lotus 98T on full boost was pretty fun"

Yep, and with the turbo lag it’s nothing, nothing and then a rocket (1200hp for 540 kg).

Only Ayrton could get 100% from this car :)

#42 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 15:34

I tried the Lotus 98T at Imola for a few laps and it's a beast, but recently there's so much stuff coming out that it is hard to focus! First Snoopy's Nordschleife (green hell!), then the Shelby Cobra, amazing looks and fun to drive, and recently the port of the Longford 1967 circuit, perfect for a run in the Lotus Type 49 or the Cobra. Nirvana  :p 

#43 ArcadeStudios

ArcadeStudios

• 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14

Check out my newest video where you can see why Assetto Corsa is THE best simulator out there ! and if you like it share it and make your friends go crazy and want to buy the game :)

Check it out :

#44 stenovitz

stenovitz

• 124 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:41

Great work!  :clap:

I think Empty Box explain the "why" well in this video:

:up:

Read his comment to the video and check out when he opens the turbo well into the video.

Must say AC has improved a lot since the last time I checked a demo out, which was in december last year.

Edited by stenovitz, 16 August 2014 - 13:26.

#45 gilez

gilez

• 172 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 00:58

I'm a fan, so.. I'm biased. Lately I am driving the Shelby Cobra (mod car, top class job) racing against AI at Longford 67 (mod track, countryside street), lots of fun! Game needs a steering wheel of course..

Edited by gilez, 19 August 2014 - 01:00.

#46 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 92 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:29

Why doesnt it look like that for me on my PC?!

Whether or not i enable/disable HDR, it looks so flat and bland, and makes F1 201x look better in comparison.

Specs:

i7 3930k

GTX680 2GB

16GB RAM

Latest nvidia drivers period.

#47 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:30

Can anyone who's done plenty of time in GPL, Live for Speed and iRacing confirm if this is up there?

#48 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 15:31

Can anyone who's done plenty of time in GPL, Live for Speed and iRacing confirm if this is up there?

It is.  The sound is a bit iffy but physics-wise it's great.

#49 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 18:05

It's fantastic. Feels better than LFS for Me. 

The entire sound engine is being replaced as well. 

#50 mahelgel

mahelgel

• 5,924 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 21:37

I still feel iRacing feels just a little bit better, or different... i guess it is much down to personal prefrences.  LFS i feel is not quite up to the standard of iRacing and AC, but it is fun to drift the cars in (easier to controll i feel).