Photo

Mille Miglia 1955 - route and roads used

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sergioloro

sergioloro

• 17 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 17:39

hi all!! i am a great fan of 1955 mille miglia event, maybe because moss won with the beatiful mercedes n 722.
i have the route of the race : Brescia - Verona - Venice - Padua - Rovigo - Ferrara - Ravenna - Forli - Rimini - Pesaro - Ancona - Pescara - L'Aquila - Rieti - Rome - Viterbo - Radicofani - Siena - Florence - Futa Pass - Raticosa Pass - Bologna - Modena - Reggio Emilia - Parma - Piacenza - Cremona - Mantua - Montichiari.

there is any info about the roads they used?? numbers of roads, i want to recreate the route with google earth but there is too many roads that link this towns.

thanks in advance :wave:

sergio loro

Advertisement

#2 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 22:27

Now, now, Sergio... The Mille Biglia for GPL is just a little bit too, too much, my friend. :)

(I initially mis-typed Miglia but then thought, 'Well, why not just leave it as is. Says it all, doesn't it?)

#3 sergioloro

sergioloro

• 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:47

Now, now, Sergio... The Mille Biglia for GPL is just a little bit too, too much, my friend. :)

(I initially mis-typed Miglia but then thought, 'Well, why not just leave it as is. Says it all, doesn't it?)

:kiss: :clap: :rotfl:

#4 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:44

Aha! I will keep a beady eye on this thread. To cover the 1955 route is something that is firmly on my bucket list. Doubt I'll manage it in 10 hours seven minutes and 48 seconds though. Especially with 'er indoors in the passenger seat of the rentacar.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:18

The 1955 route didn't go to Venice. The relevant section should read:

Brescia - Verona - Vicenza - Padova - Rovigo - Ferrara - (etc)

This confusion of Vicenza with Venezia (Venice) appears in the Mike Lawrence Mille Miglia book - in a couple of the years (1937 and '38) when the event did go to Venice, his route lists both Venezia and Venice. :well:

There are maps of all the routes used in the Lurani Mille Miglia book which, although small-scale, might give some idea of the roads used. If you don't have access to this book and would like a scan of the 1955 map, let me know.

#6 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:07

Mr. Doug Nye has, I believe, a detailed description of the route, prepared by one of the competitors...

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:57

Here's a more comprehensive route listing (found here) :

Brescia — Desenzano del Garda — Peschiera del Garda — Verona — Vicenza — Padova — Monselice — Rovigo — Ferrara — Ravenna — Forlì — Cesena — Rimini — Pesaro — Fano — Senigallia — Ancona — Porto Civitanova — San Benedetto del Tronto — Giulianova — Pescara — Chieti scalo — Popoli — L'Aquila — Antrodoco — Rieti — Roma — Madonna di Bracciano — Monterosi — Vetralla — Viterbo — Bolsena — Radicofani — San Quirico d'Orcia — Siena — Poggibonsi — San Casciano in Val di Pesa — Firenze — Passo della Futa — Passo della Raticosa — Bologna — Modena — Reggio Emilia — Parma — Piacenza — Cremona — Mantova — Montichiari — Brescia.

and here's the map used in the Lurani book (found here) :

http://www.grandprix...54_55_56_57.jpg

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:59

Mr. Doug Nye has, I believe, a detailed description of the route, prepared by one of the competitors...

...and still available to anyone with £722 to spare...
http://www.thesignat...xed-Set/3164325

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:49

You're far too young, Lucio! You must have friends and family, though, who saw the race pass through San Benedetto - any good stories?

#10 gkennedy

gkennedy

• 193 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:37

...and still available to anyone with £722 to spare...

722 to spare. How good is that?

#11 sergioloro

sergioloro

• 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:43

thank you very much for all this info

#12 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:44

Written on a toilet roll, and kept in a funny little aluminium box... ;)
(1957 though, I think).

#13 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:59

Thinking about Moss (and all the others) going flat out through towns, as much as we can read about it – Lurani, Canestrini, De Agostini or Jenkinson – I don’t think it is possible to realize not even in the slightest in these times of sanitized racing, silly health & safety and videogames what it meant to go literally like hell through metropolitan Italy – not scarcely inhabited coastal Mexico or Sicilian countryside. The top cars were literally F1-level cars on common roads, going through under our homes at full speed. The only surprising thing is it lasted that long.

One of the things that made me fall in love with Italian motor racing as a lad. Italy was the centre of the world then, and in many ways it still is! :cool: .