Photo

Bruce Spollon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 17:31

Many members, particularly those with an interest in vintage racing, and ERAs in particular, will be sorry to learn of the death of Bruce Spollon last Friday at the age of 87 after a long illness.

Bruce began his working life as an apprentice at the Austin Motor Co. and he first competed in 1947 in the Triangle Special, including at Cofton Hackett speed trials, held on the former Austin flying ground. In 1977 he acquired the ex-Earl Howe ERA R8C and competed with it regularly at VSCC events until relatively recently, being particularly successful in hill climbs, and he also owned and raced the ex-Rob Walker ERA-Delage for a time. In spite of deteriorating health, his interest remained undiminished and he had only recently added the ex-Bert Hadley Austin Twin-Cam to his collection.

A stalwart supporter of the ERA Club for many years, he was also a long-standing member of the VSCC committee and served as their president between 1990 and 1992. A gentleman of the old school whose understated presence will be much missed by all those with an interest in the vintage car world.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Advertisement

#2 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 18:21

There will be a thanksgiving service for Bruce on Friday 28 June at 3pm at St Mary Magdalene Church, Tanworth-In-Arden, Warwickshire, B94 5AL

#3 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:20

Very sorry to hear of this. Bruce and son Guy were very helpful to me when I needed information when I was building my model of the Triangle Special.