Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Who will be granted the Red Bull seat?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3226 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is in pole to take the vacant Red Bull seat? (752 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think will be Vettel's next teammate?

1. Raikkonen (340 votes [53.21%])

Percentage of vote: 53.21%

2. Ricciardo (274 votes [42.88%])

Percentage of vote: 42.88%

3. Alonso (25 votes [3.91%])

Percentage of vote: 3.91%

Vote

#1 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:36

Here you go. You have it. Make you bets.

Let me be very clear again though:
THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHO YOU WANT TO GET THE SEAT!!
THIS IS ABOUT WHO YOU THINK WILL GET IT AND WHY!!!!

Thanks for respecting that, staying on topic and keeping this thread alive until we actually know who gets the seat.

More than the outcome of the poll i'd be interested to read your thoughts or arguments.
I've read many already in the Webber-leaving-F1-thread but i feel it's inappropriate and that thread should be there to just discuss his decision and, well, maybe reflect on and pay tribute to his F1 career too.

I reckon Raikkonen is the pole man for many of you, and though i understand why, i'm personally far from sure that will happen.
I see Hulkenberg as a very good compromise between Raikkonen and one of the Torro Rosso youngsters.

Finally, again as far as Raikkonen is concerned, i wonder what the hurdles might be, or from his point of view what dilemma he is facing.
I think there are just as many good reasons for him to join Red Bull as there are excellent reasons too for him to just stay put for at least another season with Lotus.

For all the other ones on the list: I think it's pretty obvious they'll all sign with both hands if they're offered the chance.

But here you go, tell me what you think. Thanks.

PS: i've limited the list to the just the names that have been brought up already here and there in other threads. Sorry if i forgot your favourite. Not intended.

Edited by denthierry, 28 July 2013 - 19:57.

Advertisement

#2 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:40

Don't believe they will take Hülkenberg, that would make two Germans in the team. I think it will be Ricciardo or Vergne, whoever impresses most for the remainder of the season. They can't afford to overlook the Toro Rosso drivers again, it would make the whole existance of that team look bad.

#3 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:43

Don't believe they will take Hülkenberg, that would make two Germans in the team. I think it will be Ricciardo or Vergne, whoever impresses most for the remainder of the season. They can't afford to overlook the Toro Rosso drivers again, it would make the whole existance of that team look bad.

I follow you. But i'm not sure RB will make their driver choice depend of how they make Torro Rosso's existance look :-/
The fact they're not in a hurry to announce a replacement could very well mean they wait till the final part of the season to see who of both TR drivers did the best job.

#4 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:45

I wish Kimi was on his way to RB, or hammi, but I fear that won't be the case... no, Seb even with his hold on the team will not want a driver he's not 100% sure he could beat.... sure he'll chat up journo's saying he'd accept any team mate, but we all know behind the scene he's got some say in the matter so no competition of any caliber will fill that seat.

#5 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:47

They can't afford to overlook the Toro Rosso drivers again, it would make the whole existance of that team look bad.

I'm pretty sure they can afford pretty much anything they want. Red Bull doesn't exist for STR; it's the other way around. If they decide that STR guys aren't ready(read: not as good as Vettel), they are well in their rights to choose a more established driver.

Personally I'm hoping for Kimi. Don't disappoint me, Red Bull!

#6 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:48

One of the Toro Rosso drivers. Kimi is a popular choice, but probably only has an outside chance. Marko will want one of his juniors in the second seat.

#7 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:50

is this poll who do you think or who do you want ? :)

#8 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 13:57

If Vettel beats Kimi:

Vettel haters/Hamilton+Alonso fans: "Well Kimi was **** anyways he got beaten by Massa"

#9 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:00

Seb-Kimi would make F1's Real Madrid.

would be surprised if it's not Kimi.

#10 wayned

wayned

• 20 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:02

Jenson Button, judging by Horner's comments in the papers this morning, I don't think Kimi will make the switch.

#11 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:05

You've added a poll and therefore already limited the discussion, regardless of the inclusion of 'other'. We're now going to have discussions about why it can't be driver 'x' because he's under contract and..well...'lol @ driver y suggestion' plus further discussion of the Red Bull driver program etc.

I think the only driver on your list who ought to have one buttock already fully fitted to the seat is Hulkenberg. It beggars belief that he was looked over by McLaren but there you go, I have ignored the Red Bull Driver Program and maybe that sticks Ricciardo behind the wheel by default?

#12 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:05

Lol at someone thinking Hamilton-RBR...no way, Lewis has three year deal with Mercedes and he isn't moving. Button is committed to McLaren. Kimi is the best driver that is available and I believe the deal with RBR is already done.

#13 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:06

^see?

#14 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:11

I think they'll pick Vergne. Kimi would be a perfect one-year solution, but Vergne is for the future.

#15 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:14

I think they will keep it in the house and go for either STR pilot. Cheaper, sensible, less likely to upset status quo.

Or Hulkenberg. Gosh, just do it.

Edited by Atreiu, 27 June 2013 - 14:15.

#16 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:18

It should on the face of it be either Ricciardo or Vergne, however the rumblings about Kimi makes it seem he needs to be looked at as well. Personally I think that teaming Vettel and Raikkonen is a recipe for ill feelings, disagreement and even less team work than what Webber and Vettel have given.

Toro Rosso is the de facto Red Bull junior team, and either of Ricciardo or Vergne should therefore be in line for the step up. Ricciardo came in with so much hype, that him getting the seat was a 'given' some years ago, but I do not think that he have really lived up to the hype, and I have a hard time seing him as even close to comparable to Webber. Vergne I did not really have an opinion about, and if I had one it was that he was being pushed too fast to F1, I have turned on him and I would select him for the second Red Bull seat and then fill Toro Rosso with da Costa and whomever else Red Bull have lined up as a potential Junior.

:cool:

#17 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:18

The poll should have a second option for who you want in that seat.

Want: Kimi, Hamilton
Will be: another Coulthard

#18 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:19

I think they will keep it in the house and go for either STR pilot. Cheaper, sensible, less likely to upset status quo.

I think it would also be true to say that if there was ever an in house STR teammate battle, its just gone up one gear.
Those gym sessions will be just a bit more intense, the discussions about telemetry data will get just a bit longer, the diets will
be stuck to just a bit closer. The tension will be ramped up a notch.

#19 Barabas

Barabas

• 55 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:25

I think they'll pick Vergne. Kimi would be a perfect one-year solution, but Vergne is for the future.

Voted Vergne too
Although Kimi would be interesting there I hope and think Red Bull will chose for the future and put in a young(er) driver next to Sebastian who can grow and learn from what might very well be a 4x WDC next year.

Vergne, Hulkenberg or Ricciardo in that order for me

Advertisement

#20 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:35

So what are the odds RBR has not already lined up the guy to partner Vettel? What were the reasons to announce Mark Webber's departure? Are they going to announce his replacement shortly?

From matter of fact point of view I think it rather likely the thread title has it wrong, the odds are its already done and dusted and for that reason I very much doubt its gonna be either STR driver.

Edited by Oho, 27 June 2013 - 14:37.

#21 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:36

Vergne's a moderate driver at best. If the choice was on setup ability it would be Riciardo. I'm left wondering about the value of STR and the young driver program. It has failed to produce a single outstanding driver if you consider that Vetted was a BMW protege. The sooner Red Bull are forced to sell STR the better. That way Faenza can operate as a fully independent outfit.

#22 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:43

I'll state the obvious and just say KR would surely be the most fun to watch. Excluding those who are bound at other teams for 2014 I can't see any other name half as exciting.

#23 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:51

^see?

Buttoneer=wizard. :p

#24 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:53

I can see them pinching Hulkenberg from under Ferrari's noses. Not only will it strengthen RB, it may well weaken Ferrari.
Until it kicks off on track, Vettel/Hulkenberg seem to get on well with eachother- Hulkenberg will only get better and has big potential- he'll push Seb hard like Webber did.
I just like the sound of it

#25 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:55

Why is Hamilton in the poll? Didn't Mercedes just sign him on a three year contract?

I am not sure if Red Bull would go for the most competitive drivers available. They may go for Barrichello/Webber type drivers. If former, it absolutely has to be Raikkonen or Hulkenberg. If latter, any of the others.

Edited by SpaMaster, 27 June 2013 - 15:02.

#26 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 14:57

I really don't see Kimi taking it, I very much doubt he'd be happy to play #2 to Seb and thats what they'll want.

#27 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:20

Want: Raikkonen, Hulkenberg or Hamilton.

Will Get: Probably Ricciardo or Vergne.

#28 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:21

I'd really like to see Hülkenberg in RB, in my opinion he deserves a chance to show what he can do in a top team, he has the talent, he's young (same age as Vettel) and when/if Vettel leaves for Ferrari he could very well be their nº1 driver.

#29 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:34

is this poll who do you think or who do you want ? :)

It's who do you think! :) But most of all i'd like to hear why.

#30 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:36

I think it will be Vergne, hope its Kimi, Vettel would beat both pretty easily anyway so it doesn't matter. As long as Vettel is performing RedBull won't mind who the other guy is.

#31 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:37

So what are the odds RBR has not already lined up the guy to partner Vettel? What were the reasons to announce Mark Webber's departure? Are they going to announce his replacement shortly?

From matter of fact point of view I think it rather likely the thread title has it wrong, the odds are its already done and dusted and for that reason I very much doubt its gonna be either STR driver.

OK, point taken. But then, please speculate on and tell us why it's not being announced yet, and hearing Horner it doesn't seem like it's going to be any time soon.

The Robertson's doing their tricks maybe? Kimi and RB not agreeing on money or contract duration?

#32 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 174 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:40

I think Raikkönen has a good chance of becoming the second RB driver. He was backed in rallying by Red Bull and Mateschitz is a big fan of Kimi.

Would be a good combination. The other teams will have to fear Red Bull even more with this lineup.

#33 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:46

OK, point taken. But then, please speculate on and tell us why it's not being announced yet, and hearing Horner it doesn't seem like it's going to be any time soon.

The Robertson's doing their tricks maybe? Kimi and RB not agreeing on money or contract duration?

The reason might be much simpler: Kimi is fighting for the title, too, and it's not in his best interests to announce so soon that he's leaving for a rival team.

#34 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:46

But this wasn't Red Bull's announcement, it was Webber's, and it was Webber's choice if he wanted to stay on for '14.
Red Bull does not have his replacement ready.

...and I doubt either STR-driver will be seen as having enough potential.

#35 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,952 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:51

a few bookmakers have odds up, and they reckon

edit: These odds have not been influenced by the public's money because the market is new.

Raikonnen = ~70% chance
Vergne =~10% chance
Ricciardo =~8% chance
Di Resta =~6% chance
and then some others <5%

I'm not convinced Raikonnen should be such a strong favourite

Edited by SamH123, 27 June 2013 - 20:52.

#36 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:51

I really don't see Kimi taking it, I very much doubt he'd be happy to play #2 to Seb and thats what they'll want.

Play #2? As in Red Bull offering him to "joing us for fun, win some races, be careful not to beat Vettel"?
Yeah, right.

#37 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:08

I would like Kimi to get that seat.
Out of STR drivers, Ricciardo is probably first in the queue because of his nationality (marketability?) not because of his results.

#38 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:11

I did not say its gonna be Räikkönen, I said, providing the decision has been made, it is unlikely to be either STR driver. Perhaps they have not made the decision yet, maybe there is a standing offer which they are waiting on before making offers to guys that would pounce on it almost regardless of conditions, that would be pretty much every conceivable option apart from Räikkönen and Button who hardly features on speculations.

#39 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:24

As Vettel's staying put I don't think they'll sign Kimi, unless they're dafter than they look. I don't know who's the quicker of him and Vettel and neither do Red Bull, but there would have to be a significant danger that those two would take points off each other.

Whilst we don't have enough comparative data on Vettel in his career to date to know exactly how quick he is relative to other top drivers, we know he's quick enough to win titles, and in the last couple of years, when he's had a comfortable advantage over his teammate, he's delivered the title both times, once comfortably, and once convincingly after a shakey start by the team. If you give him a teammate who regularly takes points off him, you're back to the 2010 situation where the only way he's likely to win the title is if (a) the car is far superior to the others and (b) Alonso/Ferrari throw it away.

Moreover it would be a change of mindset for DM to decide he doesn't mind winning the title with a ready-made superstar brought in from outside. It was clear in 2010 that he much preferred the idea of winning the WDC with Red Bull's own protege than with Webber, who has always been seen as a stop-gap until the next Red Bull young driver is ready to take his seat. So I would expect them to wait until much later in the season before giving the drive to whoever they judge to be the better of Ricciardo or Vergne. Whether either of those are ready is another question, as is whether either of them are as good as Alguasuari or Buemi. Nevertheless I don't think it's a big risk to take a punt on one of the young guys, because even if they're no good, at least it gives Vettel a clear run at the title. Kimi would be a potential spanner in the works.

Advertisement

#40 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:28

Most unrealistic votes for Kimi. Red Bull do not need someone like Kimi in the second seat.

#41 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:29

I want the Hulk, he is in my opinion the most impressive of the new crop of drivers in F1.

Kimi is nice but I don't see the point in RedBull putting a 34 year old next to their triple WDC, what they want to look for is for someone to take the mantle after Vettel leaves

Although judging by the fire someone put up Vergne's backside lately I would guess the STR drivers have been told they are in the running, though to be honest none of the two impress me much.

#42 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:36

a few bookmakers have odds up, and they reckon

Raikonnen = ~70% chance
Vergne =~10% chance
Ricciardo =~8% chance
Di Resta =~6% chance
and then some others <5%

I'm not convinced Raikonnen should be such a strong favourite

But those odds don't reflect what the bookies reckon, they reflect where the money's going. And the money's being put on by a pretty ecclectic group of people including drunks, people who know little about motorsport, etc. I'm not saying they definitely won't sign Kimi, but there are some pretty strong reasons for them to think twice about it. I hope they do, and I hope the two of them have a massive fued and Alonso sneaks in between them to win next year's title.

#43 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:56

Reading Raikkonen's last comments on the subject, one would think that he's got an offer on the table but can't make up his mind yet (understandably!) and has asked RedBull for some more time.

I think time will indeed be beneficial to both parties:
- It will give Raikkonen more time to assess the impact of the latest developments at Lotus (new investors claiming they'll bring sponsors..., and Allison's departure)
- It will give RedBull more time to assess the true value or potential of both STR drivers (which is a good thing in the eventuality Raikkonen decides to stay at Lotus)

What surprises me though is Raikkonen being so open about it. Even if it's a known fact to everybody that he and RB are talking, still it's kind of odd to just openly talk about his dilemma for next year with the press, as he's still being employed and paid by Lotus after all.

But i guess this means there's a very open communication going on between all involved parties (KR, Lopez/Bouillier, Horner/DM) and they figured it's pretty pointless to try and keep it a secret much longer.
And as far as the STR drivers are concerned, i think none of them would mind finding out they were second choice after Raikkonen.

Ok, that's me speculating wildly now :-)

#44 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,952 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:07

But those odds don't reflect what the bookies reckon, they reflect where the money's going. And the money's being put on by a pretty ecclectic group of people including drunks, people who know little about motorsport, etc.

That's not true, the market is very young and there won't be much liquidity anyway so the odds pretty much reflect the odds compiler's views (I don't agree lots of money makes the market misinformed either but I'm getting off-topic).

I would most like to see Raikonnen but Hulkenberg would be a good choice as well I reckon. Not so excited about either TR driver but who knows how good they might be

#45 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:07

As Vettel's staying put I don't think they'll sign Kimi, unless they're dafter than they look. I don't know who's the quicker of him and Vettel and neither do Red Bull, but there would have to be a significant danger that those two would take points off each other.

This question is not particularly aimed only at you. It made me wonder. When is the last time teammates lost WDC because they took points of each other? One could say 2007, but even that I would say it was more of a case of off-track squables rather than taking points off each other on track. Massa and Raikkonen themselves were competing against each other until the last few races. Even then 2007 seems to be the only year in a long span. When was the last time and how frequently did it use to happen even in the olden days? I agree that teams are very wary of this. But, come to think of it, it is more to do with team harmony and heirarcy, less confusion and tension and making things simple and easier to manage. I expect Red Bull to be no different to this. McLaren is the only team that have followed the other philosophy for a long period of time, and, surprisingly they have good records to show for it!

Edited by SpaMaster, 27 June 2013 - 17:19.

#46 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:09

Given that Webbo has caused enough strife, two #1 drivers is exactly what they don't need.
If I were in Horner's shakey shoes I'd hire Ricciardo in a heartbeat, he's impressed me this year.

#47 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 237 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:10

Schumi. 3 year contract.

#48 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:11

Surely one of the Toro Rosso drivers, otherwise the team's pointless.

#49 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:17

Since RB like extreme sports so much they should do a Hunger Games like trial.

But my hope would be Schumi, why not?

Realistically, they should go for one of their young drivers.

#50 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:19

denthierry: I think what Raikkonen means is there is also a chance that he might not drive in F1 at all next year. Admittedly it is a small chance, but he says that is also a possibility.
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108318

My guess is if Red Bull has genuine interest in Raikkonen and Lotus proves to be competitive to fight for championship all the way to the end this year, this decision is going to drag beyond the season end.