- - - - -

Safety Car at the end of the Silverstone GP [merged]

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 xman

xman

• 853 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:09

Just curious here, did Vettel really have to place his car to a place which could definitely cause a safety car?

I mean, he had a long time to decide where he's going to park his car...

Well, his teammate definitely benefited from this, so that's Sebastian forgiving for the Multi 21 here :smoking:

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:12

Could have been worse. He could have parked on the racing line to try and force a red flag.

Edited by Disgrace, 30 June 2013 - 15:12.

#3 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,751 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:13

He tried to reset the gearbox.

Question is why didn't we have a SC for Perez' failure since earlier in the race we had one for a identical situation.

Point is they are playing it loose with the safety.

#4 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,968 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:13

Afterwards Webber said something very close to "They did a good job to pick the safety car where Michael stopped"

Although did Vettel's car not completely cut out at that point so he had to stop?

Edited by SamH123, 30 June 2013 - 15:17.

#5 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:17

Just curious here, did Vettel really have to place his car to a place which could definitely cause a safety car?

Well, his teammate definitely benefited from this, so that's Sebastian forgiving for the Multi 21 here :smoking:

Really? He had (I think) a gearbox failure, the car couldn't keep going and he had just passed the pits entry, what did you want him to do? Get out of the car and push it to the pits?

#6 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:17

Obviously intentional to help his teammate. He managed to roll like 200 meters without drive before complete stop.

Edited by Baddoer, 30 June 2013 - 15:18.

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:20

Really? He had (I think) a gearbox failure, the car couldn't keep going and he had just passed the pits entry, what did you want him to do? Get out of the car and push it to the pits?

There was an area of grass past the pit entrance where he should of parked the car out the way of any harm.

#8 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:24

Afterwards Webber said something very close to "They did a good job to pick the safety car where Michael stopped"

Did Mark say that? That seems a bit much, even from Mark - especially since he knew by then that Seb had a gearbox problem and would hve tried to reset it - and the SC coming out helped him.

There was an area of grass past the pit entrance where he should of parked the car out the way of any harm.

To what end? I am sure he was primarily concerned with trying to get going again if possible.

Edited by bourbon, 30 June 2013 - 15:28.

#9 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:26

Probably he was trying to go through the gears and see if he can somehow find a gear again. I'd try that to, before I give up too early.

#10 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:27

He did the right thing, wait until the last moment to see if it kicks back in. It also helped Webber and created an exciting end to the race.

#11 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:29

Probably he was trying to go through the gears and see if he can somehow find a gear again. I'd try that to, before I give up too early.

From the onboard we had, he had enough time from the problem first occurring to work out the gears were gone. There was no need to continue down the pit straight and risk putting your car in a dangerous position when he should of known he had to retire.

Edited by Fastcake, 30 June 2013 - 15:30.

#12 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:32

I'll go for this.
In all fairness to vettel, there are a few things worth trying to get things working again, various computer related reset options and so forth before you give up.
eg. "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" :)

#13 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:34

Anything to prevent Alonso from getting more points on him

#14 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:17

Its being discussed in various other threads so maybe deserves a thread of its.

By parking his ailing car where it was, was Vettel trying to get a SC to come out and if so for what purpose or was it simple careless stupidity?

I'm sure there is regulations about parking a car in a safe place if at all possible, Vettel was cruise for quite a distance and could have pulled off at any point rather then in the dangerous place that he did.

Does he deserve a reprimand over it?

#15 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:17

I thought the exact same thing, why the hell did he go down the straight, when he had like a quarter of the lap to pull off the track into the grass or even into the pit straight. Certainly helped Mark though. :rotfl:

#16 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:18

FFS

#17 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:18

No

#18 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 4,459 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:19

No

#19 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:19

I thought the exact same thing, why the hell did he go down the straight, when he had like a quarter of the lap to pull off the track into the grass or even into the pit straight. Certainly helped Mark though. :rotfl:

A quarter of the lap? it went on the entrance to the left just after the pit entry, and he pulled off on the S/F line. That's not even 1/10th of a lap I'd imagine.

Advertisement

#20 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:20

Its being discussed in various other threads so maybe deserves a thread of its.

By parking his ailing car where it was, was Vettel trying to get a SC to come out and if so for what purpose or was it simple careless stupidity?

I'm sure there is regulations about parking a car in a safe place if at all possible, Vettel was cruise for quite a distance and could have pulled off at any point rather then in the dangerous place that he did.

Does he deserve a reprimand over it?

I did not notice any "cruising for quite a long distance". He discovered problem with his gearbox, when it became clear the issue is terminal he parked it.

#21 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:20

Absolutely no.

#22 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:21

No!

#23 study

study

• 2,452 posts

I did not notice any "cruising for quite a long distance". He discovered problem with his gearbox, when it became clear the issue is terminal he parked it.

I saw atleast a few corners, he could quite easily have pulled over in a safer place, it was quite clearly terminal.

#24 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

If I was leading the race, motor running and all 4 tires in place, I would try to get in in gear until there is zero possibilities left. I am sure he talked to his team and tested button combinations until all options was tried.

If he had gotting info from the pits that it was a hopeless case, he should probably have a warning for not pulling off earlier at a safe place.

#25 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:22

Of course YES

He wanted to help Webber get in front of Alonso to limit his point loss to him.

#26 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:22

it was quite clearly terminal.

With such foresight, a lottery win is surely in your future.

#27 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:23

I saw atleast a few corners, he could quite easily have pulled over in a safer place, it was quite clearly terminal.

A few corners? No. The left after the pit entry (which is where it went properly belly up), then Club, onto the pit straight.

#28 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:24

With such foresight, a lottery win is surely in your future.

Other drives easily manage such circumstances.

#29 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:25

FFS

Couldn't have put it better

#30 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

You never know when a car can suddenly spurt back into life. It has happened a few times in the past. It can happen again. End of topic.

#31 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Of course YES

He wanted to help Webber get in front of Alonso to limit his point loss to him.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Exactly. That's what was going through his mind.

You are driving around the track for 75 minutes in full speed. Suddenly your engine stalls, in the next 15 second your thought process is:

"Box, on which position are Webber, Alonso and Räikkönen? Ok, copy that, can you please give me the WDC standings aswell? Ok. Do you think I should stop the car on the straight? Well I believe ..."

Meanwhile the car has hit 2 km/h and stopped by itself.

edit: Oh and btw, I think he parked in a stupid spot. But implying what the guy I quoted said is just ... stupid. You can cleary tell that he never even remotely raced(Be it in a car, on a bike or for gods sake on a bicycle) if he thinks that Vettel knew on which position Alo/Web were.

Edited by Realyn, 30 June 2013 - 16:29.

#32 ANF

ANF

• 29,545 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:26

He parked the car in a very dangerous place, as you can see here:

#33 TheSpecialOne

TheSpecialOne

• 105 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:28

Always thought this about vettel, I remember him doing it at Monza a few years back and it's struck me as odd...

#34 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:29

He parked the car in a very dangerous place, as you can see here:

Jesus, he parked it right in front of himself. He could have twisted his ankle!

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,545 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:33

Jesus, he parked it right in front of himself. He could have twisted his ankle!

Yes, a foolish thing to do. Perhaps he could learn from a race ban.

#36 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:35

This is so funny! Continue.

#37 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:40

Oh for heaven's sake.

He came down to a the corner prior to the straight. As he came down, he realised he had a box full of neutrals. He was clearly trying to reset the system and jump-start his gearbox again. But for that he needed the momentum from his car. He maybe could have pulled over earlier, but he was fighting to save the gearbox. He could have parked a bit closer to the wall, but I think it would have been SC anyway.

#38 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:45

You never know when a car can suddenly spurt back into life. It has happened a few times in the past. It can happen again. End of topic.

Remember Brazil 2007?

#39 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:48

Ban him from the Young Driver's Test. That's what a harsh penalty is nowadays, isn't it? :lol:

Advertisement

#40 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:49

Ban him from the Young Driver's Test. That's what a harsh penalty is nowadays, isn't it? :lol:

He'd just sneak in with a different helmet ;)

#41 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:56

He'd just sneak in with a different helmet ;)

Of course and he has already a lot of different ones already to pick :rotfl:

Edited by st99, 30 June 2013 - 16:57.

#42 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:56

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Exactly. That's what was going through his mind.

You are driving around the track for 75 minutes in full speed. Suddenly your engine stalls, in the next 15 second your thought process is:

"Box, on which position are Webber, Alonso and Räikkönen? Ok, copy that, can you please give me the WDC standings aswell? Ok. Do you think I should stop the car on the straight? Well I believe ..."

Meanwhile the car has hit 2 km/h and stopped by itself.

edit: Oh and btw, I think he parked in a stupid spot. But implying what the guy I quoted said is just ... stupid. You can cleary tell that he never even remotely raced(Be it in a car, on a bike or for gods sake on a bicycle) if he thinks that Vettel knew on which position Alo/Web were.

Racing in F1 is different from the trycicle racing you do. They have pit walls, with radios with platoons of engineers knowing exactly where each of their drivers are in th track and running live algorithms with calculations on best strategy. Vettel getting a pitwall signal to bring the SC is not far out of the question. Have you forgotten what happened in Singapore 2008?

#43 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:59

Racing in F1 is different from the trycicle racing you do. They have pit walls, with radios with platoons of engineers knowing exactly where each of their drivers are in th track and running live algorithms with calculations on best strategy. Vettel getting a pitwall signal to bring the SC is not far out of the question. Have you forgotten what happened in Singapore 2008?

Indeed, I fig it either incompetence or a strategy to bring out the safety car, which did benefit RBR.

#44 Astro

Astro

• 406 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:01

Oh for heaven's sake.

He came down to a the corner prior to the straight. As he came down, he realised he had a box full of neutrals. He was clearly trying to reset the system and jump-start his gearbox again. But for that he needed the momentum from his car. He maybe could have pulled over earlier, but he was fighting to save the gearbox. He could have parked a bit closer to the wall, but I think it would have been SC anyway.

Exactly this.

#45 JRUK

JRUK

• 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:05

So why, with all the information, did he still decide to bring the safety car out knowing that it would allow Alonso the chance to overtake Sutil and Kimi and get onto the podium?

#46 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:06

So why, with all the information, did he still decide to bring the safety car out knowing that it would allow Alonso the chance to overtake Sutil and Kimi and get onto the podium?

he was already ahead of Sutil.

#47 JRUK

JRUK

• 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:08

Seems I was a little confused.

But I still wouldn't exactly say that Alonso was one of the losers of that safety car period.

Edited by JRUK, 30 June 2013 - 17:10.

#48 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:09

edit:nvm

Edited by Realyn, 30 June 2013 - 17:10.

#49 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:10

Remember Brazil 2007?

That's what I thought about when it happened today!

Guys think about it, he's leading the race 10 laps before end while also leading the championship and all of a sudden his car starts malfunctioning - imagine how much he hopes it will fix itself somehow, he was clicking buttons on the steering wheel probably trying to reset stuff. I don't think anyone in his position would think where to park it in order to avoid safety car instead of trying to bring it back to life as long as there is even the tiniest hope.

It was sickening in the race thread - party time because of his mischief while also calling him an idiot for not searching for a safe place to park it... so much hate just because of his hard earned success

#50 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:13

No he wasn't, he had just pitted for new tyres, if the SC hadn't come out he wouldn't have finished 3rd, so Vettel actually helped him to finish higher up.