* * * - - 2 votes

Upcoming Ferrari Tyre Test

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:51

During Ted's aftershow, he mentioned a possible upcoming Pirelli test with Ferrari - using a 2011 car with 2013 bits (possibly suspension parts, rear and front wings, etc.). He said that Christian Horner was upset about it and has already asked for clarification on the testing regulations, considering 2013 parts will be used.

Ted doesn't seem very fond of Red Bull, so I take his depiction of Christian being upset with a grain of salt. I rather think that they too are considering a test and want clarification. But that aside, will this be enough for Pirelli to resolve the exploding tyre issue? Perhaps F1 should break down and allow all of the top teams a test similar to the one Merc did for the purpose of giving Pirelli ample information to produce a safe product.

I don't want to see any of the drivers going out this way and it can be dangerous besides, so I think something along these lines - together with a sturdier tyre (i.e. Kevlar) may be necessary. Does anyone have anymore information about this test - supposed to take place in Germany after the GP according to Ted.

Advertisement

#2 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,518 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:54

C'mon Ferrari, do it. Want to see Ross's face after red 1-2 in Hungary.

#3 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:56

Please do it.

#4 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:57

What is to say Ferrari haven't already done so in their previous tyre tests?

#5 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:59

They should wait until after the young drivers test, so they cant get YDT ban from the FIA tribunal.

#6 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:00

During Ted's aftershow, he mentioned a possible upcoming Pirelli test with Ferrari - using a 2011 car with 2013 bits (possibly suspension parts, rear and front wings, etc.). He said that Christian Horner was upset about it and has already asked for clarification on the testing regulations, considering 2013 parts will be used.

Ted doesn't seem very fond of Red Bull, so I take his depiction of Christian being upset with a grain of salt. I rather think that they too are considering a test and want clarification. But that aside, will this be enough for Pirelli to resolve the exploding tyre issue? Perhaps F1 should break down and allow all of the top teams a test similar to the one Merc did for the purpose of giving Pirelli ample information to produce a safe product.

I don't want to see any of the drivers going out this way and it can be dangerous besides, so I think something along these lines - together with a sturdier tyre (i.e. Kevlar) may be necessary. Does anyone have anymore information about this test - supposed to take place in Germany after the GP according to Ted.

Red Bull has also asked a possibility to do a test with either 2011 or 2013 car.

#7 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:02

Red Bull has also asked a possibility to do a test with either 2011 or 2013 car.

For some reason, I would guess that Pirelli isn't that interested in testing with Red Bull...

#8 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:06

For some reason, I would guess that Pirelli isn't that interested in testing with Red Bull...

But the FIA rule is everyone will have to have the same possibility to test...so they don't have a choice, also they tested with Mercedes who with RBR was a team most critical towards the tyres.

Edited by Vesuvius, 30 June 2013 - 16:06.

#9 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:10

What's up with Pirelli handpicking teams for tests? FIA should first put an end to this non-sense. Yeah, put all the 2013 parts you want to test in 2011 in the name of significantly different car. F1 is such a bogus these days.

#10 Lopek

Lopek

• 271 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:11

But the FIA rule is everyone will have to have the same possibility to test...so they don't have a choice, also they tested with Mercedes who with RBR was a team most critical towards the tyres.

Not seen Mercedes be particularly critical of the tyres. They have clearly had significant problems but their line has always been "other teams are making work, we need to do a better job." Radically different to Red Bull taking no responsibility for a car that is hard on it's tyres.

#11 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:12

Whats the status with declaring something illegal and punshing that party and then declaring it legal?

#12 Lopek

Lopek

• 271 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:13

What's up with Pirelli handpicking teams for tests? FIA should first put an end to this non-sense. Yeah, put all the 2013 parts you want to test in 2011 in the name of significantly different car. F1 is such a bogus these days.

Every team was invited, only certain teams wanted to invest resources to help Pirelli in a Pirelli run test.

#13 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:13

Not seen Mercedes be particularly critical of the tyres. They have clearly had significant problems but their line has always been "other teams are making work, we need to do a better job." Radically different to Red Bull taking no responsibility for a car that is hard on it's tyres.

Are you kidding, they complained even more than Red Bull...Niki Lauda was with Toto Wolff constantly saying how crap the tyres are.

#14 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:14

Every team was invited, only certain teams wanted to invest resources to help Pirelli in a Pirelli run test.

Teams were invited 2012 not 2013....

#15 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,622 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:14

Staging an independent test is completely different from staging a test in collaboration with Pirelli. Ferrari have already had numerous tests, they should just buck up their ideas.

#16 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,550 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:15

This fell under the radar, and is probably relevant here.

FIA toughens up Formula 1 testing controls after Mercedes row

#17 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:17

So this would be the third time Ferrari has a Pirelli test. Pretty unfair IMO. It should be a different team, one that is not a contender for the championship (McLaren maybe).

#18 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:20

I don't see what the problem is. Pirelli tested their tires with the most aggressive car on tires: the 2013 Mercedes Benz. The tires are now exploding instead of delaminating.

If Pirelli goes backwards with a current car with current suspension, wings, etc my guess is they will not want a car that is even less representative.

Regardless, I assume this will be a Pirelli test and their test drivers and not Alonso and Massa with white helmets.

#19 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:26

No.

Advertisement

#20 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:06

Well Red Bull was extremely critical at first, but if you will notice, they are presently the least critical of all.

#21 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:14

If Pirelli so desperately need to do a tire test then they should do it with a team that they have not already given a test to. Red Bull, for example.

#22 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:25

I think the FIA should consider tacking on an extra day of testing at the young driver test. Let all teams (including Mercedes) and race drivers have a one day test with the new Pirelli rubber using their 2013 cars. This would let them get some experience with the new tyres. It shouldn't cost much and hopefully it should prove the new tyre design can cope with Silverstone.