Photo
- - - - -

Why is Vettel not so popular and unliked ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#1 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 298 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:00

The whole crowd was cheering today when his gearbox let go today even tho he didn't have a British driver behind him , he was booed in Canada podium and it seems that he doesn't get the respect that he deserves from the average F1 fans , why is that ? Any ideas ?

Advertisement

#2 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:01

Multi-21

Webber has a large fanbase in the UK

#3 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:03

1. The finger
2. Redbull being unbeatable
3. Redbull being unabeatable but still using loop hole after loop hole and never getting punished for it
4. The anti-fan behaviour of the redbull team.

#4 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:03

because he wins

#5 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:04

An absoutely dominant driver/team that is again threatening to run away with this year's championship. If his car breaks down from the lead, why wouldn't they? Simple sporting reason, however silly it is. Don't think he would be booed if it is the last race of a season where needs to win for his first championship and his car breaks down from the lead. I am pretty sure he won't get that much boos then.

Edited by SpaMaster, 30 June 2013 - 20:06.

#6 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:04

Continued success is boring

#7 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:05

The whole crowd was cheering today when his gearbox let go today even tho he didn't have a British driver behind him , he was booed in Canada podium and it seems that he doesn't get the respect that he deserves from the average F1 fans , why is that ? Any ideas ?

Two factors: He has dominated the sport for 3 years and also he's not british. Had they raced in Barcelona today my answer would have been he's not spanish.

People are envy of success, that's all.

edit: certainly not "multi-21" or "the finger". Other sport stars have a gimmick like that aswell. It simply comes down to his success. Just look at this board to find your average fanboy of another driver and his comments. 'Nuff said.

If his car breaks down from the lead, why wouldn't they

Because some people have a backbone and see past a nationality flag.

Edited by Realyn, 30 June 2013 - 20:10.

#8 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:07

Because the other top drivers have been around much longer and therefore have large numbers of established fans. It's the fans of other drivers who hate him, not anyone else. The cause of the hate of course is his success. They aren't going to say that, of course. There's a long list of commonly sited excuses. But the hate fundamentally comes out of resentment of his talent and success.

#9 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:10

I was at the circuit sitting by Becketts and the audience was jubilant when Vettels car slowed down. surprisingly there were great cheers for Mercedes - yeah even Nico's car. It was astonishing to see the cheer number of spectators wearing Mclaren team jerseys from 2-4 years ago but wearing a Mercedes Lewis Hamilton cap. Funny enough the Mclaren shops were still selling tons of Hamilton merchandise but not any Perez merchandise. But on topic, Vettel didn't get any cheers however Webber was shown great respect. The crowd adores him.

#10 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

IMO it's the radio, more than anything. "Do something", "Thanks guys" (sarcastically after a slow stop), "Get him out of the way" and so on.

To me today it sounded to me like even Rocky has had enough. A certain amount of arrogance goes with the territory, but there's a limit.

#11 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

It's like Michael Schumacher was in the late 1990s and 2000s... Pure ruthless, I guess.

#12 Paul084

Paul084

• 128 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:11

I don't really get it, he's a great driver and he seems to have a good sense of humour. Obviously he has his flaws such as multi-21 but no one is perfect.

#13 handel

handel

• 445 posts

1. Continued success by anyone or any team is boring.

2. The media has picked out and accentuated a lot of moments in the past that have shown him to be unsportsmanlike (or shall we say ruthless to the point of this in some eyes)

3. Related to the above - he's given them plenty to choose from (file the finger under this category for example)
Edit: someone else mentioned radio transmissions. This would go in theres as well.

4. RBR don't engage with the fans in the same way as other teams

5. RBR give a perception of 'cheating' or going beyond the boundaries. This may or may not be true.

6. Fans have struggled to bond with German drivers since MSC

7. He's a nice guy but isn't flawed enough to be called a character

Edited by handel, 30 June 2013 - 20:13.

#14 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

It's like Michael Schumacher was in the late 1990s and 2000s... Pure ruthless, I guess.

Hey look, that red car went straight into the barrier, let's cheer.

#15 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:12

It's not like Schumacher. Schumacher never got booed in Canada, despite being the main rival of JV.

#16 scandyman

scandyman

• 180 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:13

Jealousy (mainly todays race in Britain) because Vettel is winning everything many years straight and "stealing" trophies of their favourite drivers like Hamilton.
Vettel's sin in Canada is being same nationality with Schumacher (and of course similar kind of success brings jealousy too).

#17 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:16

I don't mind Vettel. I really dislike Red Bull.

#18 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Because everyone loves dominance when it's in the past, not when it's unfolding.

#19 scandyman

scandyman

• 180 posts

It's not like Schumacher. Schumacher never got booed in Canada, despite being the main rival of JV.

Advertisement

#20 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:18

I've made this post last year. I can't remember the race, but first Vettel had a DNF and then Hamilton with nearly the same problem. Edit: Actually was the Maldo crash.

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=5788927

Edited by Realyn, 30 June 2013 - 20:20.

#21 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:20

I've made this post last year. I can't remember the race, but first Vettel had a DNF and then Hamilton with nearly the same problem.

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=5788927

That doesn't help Vettel tbh

#22 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:20

Because he's German- the Brits are stuck in 1945 when it comes to relations with Germany
Because he wins loads- no one boos Vergne or Hulkenberg or Massa. They boo his because he's the best
Because he makes a point to celebrate success-knowing there are more bad days than good days

Certainly in the UK, we like the plucky underdog and get bored of winning, especially when it isn't a Brit winning. Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry at snooker, Schumacher, Manchester United, Pete Sampras was not the most popular either... we love to hate a winner

Edited by joshb, 30 June 2013 - 20:21.

#23 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:22

i stand corrected!

#24 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Not many people want him to run away with another world championship. Even his die hard fans probably want him to win it at the final race with a great drive such as Brazil 2012.
That could be part of it. This DNF has turned the tables, rather than being 45+ points ahead he's now 22 points ahead. If he has a bad race or another DNF then Alonso and Raikonnen could be within striking distance which would spice things up.
I don't understand why people don't like him for ignoring team orders. Most F1 fans hate them and Mark Webber got credit for ignoring them in the past. So it does seem to be a double standard.

#25 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

It's because he's in the best car and his team-mate's not allowed to race him. Multi 21 was the dealbreaker.

Two factors: He has dominated the sport for 3 years and also he's not british. Had they raced in Barcelona today my answer would have been he's not spanish.

People are envy of success, that's all.

edit: certainly not "multi-21" or "the finger". Other sport stars have a gimmick like that aswell. It simply comes down to his success. Just look at this board to find your average fanboy of another driver and his comments. 'Nuff said.

Because some people have a backbone and see past a nationality flag.

OK, so explain why Senna, Hakkinen and Prost were never so viscerally disliked.

#26 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:23

Because he's German and that one of the largest myths in the world is that British people are good sportsmen.

#27 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:24

Anyone else hear Mark saying " When Michael stopped" i think referring to Vettel as there is no one named Michael on the grid haha.

Success, mixed with Multi-21 and Mark being loved by the brits is why everyone cheered add to the fact people are bored of Redbull and Vettel.

#28 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,195 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:24

i was watchibg on german rtl and kai was interviewing one of the spice girls...favorite driver...vettel...but he is not british...she said it's not about nationality but hart and pasion for racing...nice answer! :up:

#29 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:25

Because he's German and that one of the largest myths in the world is that British people are good sportsmen.

We have no qualms with the Germans... in fact they gave us the term most befitting for the general feeling when people like Vettel fail... schadenfreude

Danke Deutschland!

#30 TheThirdTenor1

TheThirdTenor1

• 882 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:26

Because he's German- the Brits are stuck in 1945 when it comes to relations with Germany
Because he wins loads- no one boos Vergne or Hulkenberg or Massa. They boo his because he's the best
Because he makes a point to celebrate success-knowing there are more bad days than good days

Certainly in the UK, we like the plucky underdog and get bored of winning, especially when it isn't a Brit winning. Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry at snooker, Schumacher, Manchester United, Pete Sampras was not the most popular either... we love to hate a winner

Maybe a small minority, but certainly not all of them. Don't think that's a reason though.

#31 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:26

I don't really get it, he's a great driver and he seems to have a good sense of humour. Obviously he has his flaws such as multi-21 but no one is perfect.

Yeah. I'm close but too tolerant.

#32 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,752 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:28

At this point apart from people who don't like Vettel for some of his antics simply are members of the ABV fanclub. Dominant car, substandard team mate who then gets screwed over when he does perform is not exactly a recipe for fun and competitive F1. It's very reminiscent of Schumacher.

Edited by Ricardo F1, 30 June 2013 - 20:29.

#33 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:28

i was watchibg on german rtl and kai was interviewing one of the spice girls...favorite driver...vettel...but he is not british...she said it's not about nationality but hart and pasion for racing...nice answer! :up:

She also said it's Karma when Lewis Hamilton's tyre blew on SkySports.

I am British, i don't support Jenson, Max or Paul but i wanted them to do well so badly today because they are British.

#34 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:29

It's because he's in the best car and his team-mate's not allowed to race him. Multi 21 was the dealbreaker.

OK, so explain why Senna, Hakkinen and Prost were never so viscerally disliked.

Ayrton Senna da Silva; born 21 March 1960
Alain Marie Pascal Prost; born 24 February 1955
Internet; publicly usable in the 1990s
Twitter; born in 2006

Also, the 3 drivers you named drove for the "big ones". Senna and prost even facing each other.
Vettel is driving for a, how did Toto Wolff call it ... "Brausehersteller"(soft drink manufacturer).

Got a question for you, why does everyone love Maradona, Pele and all the other big names, but think that Ronaldo/Messi/Ribery are idiots?

#35 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

That whole multi 21 thing was a shot in his own foot for him, if he had obeyed team orders he would have actually gained more reputation, at that point he did not need to prove to anyone that he can win, we know already that he can. All he did was show that he is yet another one with unsportsmanlike like behavior driver.

#36 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Bacause he dominates, because of Michael and because the "young driver who comes and supposedly beats everyone" was taken in the hearts of many by the time Vettel started to shine.

#37 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:30

So why were they cheering Nico if it's a German thing? No booing for Alonso either, whom his fans would like to have us believe is public enemy no.1 in the UK.

It's because he's successful.

#38 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:31

it is something about being german and a winning driver beating other peoples favorite drivers constantly

this was Silverstone 1999 and something tells me the crowd would have cheered if Seb had crashed like that as well

Edited by Sin, 30 June 2013 - 20:32.

#39 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:32

Bit like utd - wins too much and the fans are glory boy cocks

Advertisement

#40 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:33

It has nothing to do with nationality. Even Alonso was cheered on the podium in Silverstone today. Who would've thought that back in 2007. :p

#41 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Man Utd - still the most popular team in the country, and perhaps the world.
Pete Sampras - still lauded as one of the great tennis players, in the UK and abroad...

Similarly in tennis another multiple champion is very popular in the UK (at least at Wimbledon) - Roger Federer. That's because he conducts himself with decorum and grace. Vettel drops his 'your chummy German friend' act at the flick of a switch, and can become very temperamental, gruff and someone most people would find hard to like.

#42 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Turkish Grand Prix 2010

#43 Darrenj

Darrenj

• 1,663 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:34

The fact that he drives very well for the perfect team that is basically an advertising exercise; Red Bull Racing, Red Bull Sports etc. An organisation that really does nothing more than market a product they don't even make. No racing heritage, no connection to competition breed. Marketing Sunday sell on Monday

If your a Ferrari fanboy or know the struggles of Frank Williams well you might boo/cheer as well.

#44 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:35

it is something about being german and a winning driver beating other peoples favorite drivers constantly

this was Silverstone 1999 and something tells me the crowd would have cheered if Seb had crashed like that as well

I'd say that ill sentiment was largely derived from the media playing up Michael's rivalry with Damon Hill in the mid 90's (as well as Jerez 97)... in fact I'd go as far as saying it took Michael over ten years from his actions at Adelaide in 94 to recover any sort of respect and admiration from the British motorsport audience.

#45 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:36

I'd say that ill sentiment was largely derived from the media playing up Michael's rivalry with Damon Hill in the mid 90's (as well as Jerez 97)... in fact I'd go as far as saying it took Michael over ten years from his actions at Adelaide in 94 to recover any sort of respect and admiration from the British motorsport audience.

so what's happening with Seb and Webber atm, who is painted by the english speaking media as the villain there?

#46 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:37

It's not about his nationality - there are plenty of popular Germans; like Nico and Hulk, the Mercedes team...

It's not about him competing with Brits - Nico does that more directly, so does Kimi.

Normally success makes a driver MORE popular. Prost, Loeb, Kristensen, Sainz for example.

It's about how Sebi behaves. Same with Schumi.

Not that I liked hearing him being booed, I think that's poor.

#47 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:38

You obviously do not visit in here to see that such bad behavior exists all over.

#48 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:38

It's not about his nationality - there are plenty of popular Germans; like Nico and Hulk, the Mercedes team...

It's not about him competing with Brits - Nico does that more directly, so does Kimi.

Normally success makes a driver MORE popular. Prost, Loeb, Kristensen, Sainz for example.

It's about how Sebi behaves. Same with Schumi.

Not that I liked hearing him being booed, I think that's poor.

how does he behave? I don't really see anything wrong in his behaviour he can't be compared to Schumacher, that is another thing painted by english speaking media... and thats exactly the reason why people cheer

#49 chumma

chumma

• 1,346 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:39

Because Vettel has no grace. He isnt a 'good' winner. Quite the opposite, but success does seem to be a factor as to why people cheer when he DNDs, Schumacher got it too in his glory days. But he is definitely 'dirty'

#50 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:39

IMO it's the radio, more than anything. "Do something", "Thanks guys" (sarcastically after a slow stop), "Get him out of the way" and so on.

To me today it sounded to me like even Rocky has had enough. A certain amount of arrogance goes with the territory, but there's a limit.

Hammer meets nail.

Edited by race addicted, 30 June 2013 - 20:40.