* * * * - 3 votes

Alonso's unsafe pit release

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AlexanderF1

AlexanderF1

• 215 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:17

cant remember what lap but there was a replay which showed ferrari releasing alonzo into the path of another car(i think it was williams or sauber) and he had to get off the throttle and take avoiding action. Why was he not investigated and given a drive through by the fia .it was a clear unsafe release

Advertisement

#2 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:21

Alonso made it safe!

#3 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:22

cant remember what lap but there was a replay which showed ferrari releasing alonzo into the path of another car(i think it was williams or sauber) and he had to get off the throttle and take avoiding action. Why was he not investigated and given a drive through by the fia .it was a clear unsafe release

I think you answered your own question. Alonso slowed down and got out of the way

#4 Fudce

Fudce

• 310 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:24

Alonso made it safe!

There might not have been a colission or avoiding action, but it was unsafe. The fact he HAD to take avoiding action means that it was an unsafe release.

Punish the offense, not the aftermath.

Imagine being pulled over by the police for driving down a road at 50mph - and you say "But I didn't hit anyone!"

Edited by Fudce, 30 June 2013 - 20:25.

#5 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,195 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:28

Alonso made it safe!

yeah...made me think of spa 08...last laps overtaking like crazy but presence of mind to not overtake under yellows...

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:31

He didn't get a penalty in Canada, and he didn't today.

#7 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:32

There might not have been a colission or avoiding action, but it was unsafe. The fact he HAD to take avoiding action means that it was an unsafe release.

Punish the offense, not the aftermath.

Imagine being pulled over by the police for driving down a road at 50mph - and you say "But I didn't hit anyone!"

Exactly. The "Unsafe release" relates to the behaviour of the pit crew, not the driver. It was clearly an unsafe release, no way around that. Probably the right call not to give him a DT though, but the team should have gotten a reprimand or something similar because this might be used as precedence.

#8 Fudce

Fudce

• 310 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:34

Exactly. The "Unsafe release" relates to the behaviour of the pit crew, not the driver. It was clearly an unsafe release, no way around that. Probably the right call not to give him a DT though, but the team should have gotten a reprimand or something similar because this might be used as precedence.

I'd be fine with that - but today there was nothing. Nada. No mention. No investigation. No reprimand. Not even a dismissal of the offense.

#9 naiboz

naiboz

• 483 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:35

if I remember correctly the 2nd driver didnt have to take any avoiding action, this may have played a part

although I dont even remember a screen message saying it was being investigated

#10 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,821 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:37

Exactly!!! Same as Canadian GP....... :confused:

#11 EvilWarMachine

EvilWarMachine

• 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 20:49

Despite the lack of a penalty (or even investigation) Alonso shows his awareness and reactions skills yet again. I really think he is the best driver on the grid at the moment. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like him.

#12 Fudce

Fudce

• 310 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 21:00

Despite the lack of a penalty (or even investigation) Alonso shows his awareness and reactions skills yet again. I really think he is the best driver on the grid at the moment. And this is coming from someone who doesn't like him.

Oh totally. I don't think he's the fastest driver, but he's certainly the most complete.

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 22:11

Brilliant immediate reaction by FA, avoiding real problems :up:

#14 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 22:16

:up:

Stewarding in this area has always been quite consistent. No collision, no forcing another driver to lift or take avoiding action, no penalty. If you penalise for this, where do you draw the line? What about cases where the pit crew intends to release car A behind car B, but car A makes a good getaway from his box and it means he has to hesitate slightly before merging into the fast lane to avoid contact between his front wing and car B's rear wheel. Do you penalise that? Given it's only a reprimand for ignoring yellows, I'd say no investigation and no action is about right for this.

#15 dave34m

dave34m

• 814 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 22:21

Brilliant immediate reaction by FA, avoiding real problems :up:

Maybe the fact that he had to make this reaction suggests an unsafe release. It must have been close to being dangerous. I wonder if the other team complained about it.

#16 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 00:03

:up:

Stewarding in this area has always been quite consistent. No collision, no forcing another driver to lift or take avoiding action, no penalty. If you penalise for this, where do you draw the line? What about cases where the pit crew intends to release car A behind car B, but car A makes a good getaway from his box and it means he has to hesitate slightly before merging into the fast lane to avoid contact between his front wing and car B's rear wheel. Do you penalise that? Given it's only a reprimand for ignoring yellows, I'd say no investigation and no action is about right for this.

You make thumbs up for a post praising Alonsos reactions that prevented an accident, then you you go on saying the stewards did right since they have been consistent and not handed out penalties if there is no need for avoiding actions?