- - - - -

A question on the GPDA

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:42

So we all know the tyre failure mess in Silverstone by now,I was just wondering,what can the GPDA do about this?Idealy they should be more vocal because the saftey of the drivers was heavily compromised yesterday.Felipe Massa has mentioned a driver strike,(i understand he is a dirrector?)can the association mandate this?
In other words,what exactly is the job of the GPDA?

Advertisement

#2 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:54

Sebastian is a representative also - according to him, they have communicated their concerns to Pirelli directly. But he didn't say what, if any, further steps they would take.

#3 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:02

At the IT a letter from GPDA raising concerns about safety was mentioned.

But like Mark said the drivers are just part of the show and the show must go on.

Edited by Diablobb81, 01 July 2013 - 08:02.

#4 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:08

Felipe Massa has mentioned a driver strike,(i understand he is a dirrector?)can the association mandate this?

On the face of it, no. Or rather they could, but they would have no power to enforce it if a driver ignored such a mandate and said 'Oh, you guys are sitting this one out? Podium for me then!'

#5 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:24

On the face of it, no. Or rather they could, but they would have no power to enforce it if a driver ignored such a mandate and said 'Oh, you guys are sitting this one out? Podium for me then!'

But,AFAIK in any union the members are bound by the rules and the constitution therefore if a strike is called they will have to obey?

#6 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:26

Sebastian is a representative also - according to him, they have communicated their concerns to Pirelli directly. But he didn't say what, if any, further steps they would take.

Was this yesterday?And who else are the direcors?I am assuming the older guys?(Button,Alonso)

#7 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:29

At the IT a letter from GPDA raising concerns about safety was mentioned.

But like Mark said the drivers are just part of the show and the show must go on.

I think when Mark said that, it was more pointing out that the FIA/Bernie etc aren't taking the risks to the drivers seriously.

#8 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:35

But,AFAIK in any union the members are bound by the rules and the constitution therefore if a strike is called they will have to obey?

It's not a union, though. There are no membership fees or constitution (as far as I know.) Nor is membership of the GPDA a requirement to race. Therefore, seem to me the best the other drivers can do is call any drivers who break a potential strike a scab and Not Speak to him in future meetings.

There have been threatened driver strikes before, like when Alain Prost tried to get one going, and they tend to fail because people see a chance to secure a good result in a smaller field over supporting the collective interest.

#9 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:35

Was this yesterday?And who else are the direcors?I am assuming the older guys?(Button,Alonso)

The chairman is Pedro de la Rosa, directors Massa and Vettel, IIRC.

#10 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:47

I am pretty sure the 3 GPDA directors are Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel and Felipe Massa.

Whoops edit. Button replaced Massa. De la Rosa, Vettel and Button are the directors.

Edited by MarileneRiddle, 01 July 2013 - 08:49.

#11 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:51

The chairman is Pedro de la Rosa, directors Massa and Vettel, IIRC.

No - Felipe Massa left the GPDA Board in April. The three Directors are currently Pedro de la Rosa, Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel: http://companycheck....rs-shareholders

#12 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:59

FiA | section 5

An Event may be cancelled if fewer than 12 cars are available for it.

#13 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:07

FiA | section 5

I wasn't being entirely literal in suggesting a scenario whereby the world would watch one solitary car pootling around the Nurburgring for the alotted laps, Sakae...

What has happened in the past with possible strikes is that as soon as one team announces they'll break ranks with it, the others follow, fearing falling behind in the championship and the strike crumbles.

And in any case, seems to me the key word in your FIA quote there is "may be cancelled". As opposed to "will".

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:17

I wasn't being entirely literal in suggesting a scenario whereby the world would watch one solitary car pootling around the Nurburgring for the alotted laps, Sakae...

What has happened in the past with possible strikes is that as soon as one team announces they'll break ranks with it, the others follow, fearing falling behind in the championship and the strike crumbles.

And in any case, seems to me the key word in your FIA quote there is "may be cancelled". As opposed to "will".

Correct, but as much as I don't think that driver's would be sitting on side-lines, instead racing, I cannot imagine that FOM or FiA would go ahead again and repeat Michelin scenario.

#15 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:31

It's not a union, though. There are no membership fees or constitution (as far as I know.) Nor is membership of the GPDA a requirement to race. Therefore, seem to me the best the other drivers can do is call any drivers who break a potential strike a scab and Not Speak to him in future meetings.

There have been threatened driver strikes before, like when Alain Prost tried to get one going, and they tend to fail because people see a chance to secure a good result in a smaller field over supporting the collective interest.

The original GPDA, formed in 1961 and disbanded in 1982 was an unincorporated body. The GPDA was revived by Niki Lauda and Gerhard Berger, following the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix. In 1996 the GPDA was incorporated in the UK as a company limited by guarantee. This meant that for the first time the organisation had to have a written constitution (the Memorandum and Articles). You can read the Memorandum & Articles here (on payment of a £2 fee). The GPDA does charge a membership fee - in 2008 it was £2,000.

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:39

Huh. You live and learn! Thanks, Amphicar.

I guess it leaves me wondering the same question as kenkip, now. What, if anything, happens if you're a driver and you don't sign up or are kicked out?

edit. I guess I could pay the £2 and find out some of these answers by reading the paperwork but I'm not sure if my need to know extends that far.

#17 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:40

I think when Mark said that, it was more pointing out that the FIA/Bernie etc aren't taking the risks to the drivers seriously.

Exactly.

#18 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:51

Huh. You live and learn! Thanks, Amphicar.

I guess it leaves me wondering the same question as kenkip, now. What, if anything, happens if you're a driver and you don't sign up or are kicked out?

edit. I guess I could pay the £2 and find out some of these answers by reading the paperwork but I'm not sure if my need to know extends that far.

Nothing - it isn't a trade union and in any case closed shop arrangements are illegal in the UK. I don't know the current situation but in 2010 all the regular F1 drivers were GPDA members but in his first season, Lewis Hamilton said he was "too busy" to join - and was heavily criticized by Jackie Stewart.

Interestingly, given the post British GP hoo-ha about exploding tyres, it was at a meeting with the three GPDA directors ahead of the Monaco GP, that Charlie Whiting let the cat out of the bag about the secret private Mercedes Pirelli tyre test.

#19 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:28

The original GPDA, formed in 1961 and disbanded in 1982 was an unincorporated body. The GPDA was revived by Niki Lauda and Gerhard Berger, following the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix. In 1996 the GPDA was incorporated in the UK as a company limited by guarantee. This meant that for the first time the organisation had to have a written constitution (the Memorandum and Articles). You can read the Memorandum & Articles here (on payment of a £2 fee). The GPDA does charge a membership fee - in 2008 it was £2,000.

Thanks for the infomative post.

Advertisement

#20 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:30

Nothing - it isn't a trade union and in any case closed shop arrangements are illegal in the UK. I don't know the current situation but in 2010 all the regular F1 drivers were GPDA members but in his first season, Lewis Hamilton said he was "too busy" to join - and was heavily criticized by Jackie Stewart.

Interestingly, given the post British GP hoo-ha about exploding tyres, it was at a meeting with the three GPDA directors ahead of the Monaco GP, that Charlie Whiting let the cat out of the bag about the secret private Mercedes Pirelli tyre test.

Is it?I thought it was Nico who slipped it to Seb and then Seb went to Horner?

#21 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:49

Is it?I thought it was Nico who slipped it to Seb and then Seb went to Horner?

See the last sentence of this Sky report: http://www1.skysport...-in-secret-test

#22 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:51

Felipe Massa has mentioned a driver strike,(i understand he is a dirrector?)can the association mandate this?

Wouldn't be the first time, SA '82,

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by milestone 11, 01 July 2013 - 10:55.

#23 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:29

One of the consequences of the GPDA-organised drivers' strike ahead of the 1982 South African Grand Prix was the disbanding of the original GPDA. It was replaced by the little-known "Professional Racing Drivers Association".

The decision to disband GPDA Mk1 may well have been taken because, as an unincorporated body there would have been unlimited liability and the individual members could have been bankrupted if the organisers of the South African GP (disrupted) and the Argentine GP (cancelled) had sued. One of the advantages of becoming a company limited by guarantee (as the GPDA did in 1996) is that ordinary members would have no liability and even the directors would have only limited liability - a few £s at most.

#24 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:03

FiA | section 5

And event may be cancelled if fewer than 12 cars are available for it.

Then again, it may not. Bernie knows a thing or two about strike-busting. He's been there, done that. The most important thing is to make sure everybody not involved in the strike still does therir job, and the race still gets organised. Make sure the drivers always have a choice between striking or scabbing. History shows virtually all F1 drivers are scabs when it comes down to it.