130 replies to this topic

#1 Jepho

Jepho

• 52 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:48

Apperently there is a romour going on

Twitter, joseluisf1

Aparently Sauber and Mclaren saw kevlar in the failed tires on their cars

For those who dont know what that means, Red bull and Mercedes have pushed Pirelli to use kevlar on their tyres but got blocked by other Teams.

What do u think?

Advertisement

#2 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:50

I think this was commented on by Ted in his notebook feature, saying it looked strange. Nothing further was mentioned though.

#3 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:51

So, who is in trouble then?

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:51

Twitter, joseluisf1

That's nothing, I saw Jesus in a shred of tyre.

#5 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:53

Just for the sake of the information (I won't enter in the discussion, at least ot yet), the link to the article where this Jose Luís got the information from:

http://www.marca.com...1372672736.html

#6 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:54

That would support Pirelli's view that delamination without-inflation is safer than puncture-like explosion. They changed something and that has gone from one delamination in two races to 5 explosions in one race.

#7 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:54

So, this is suggesting that they changed the tyre construction without the permission of the teams? Interesting if true. Doubtful though.

#8 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:55

If true discard the Silverstone results and ban them from F1.

#9 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:57

:lol:

#10 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 13:57

After first designing cars that can race without tyres?

#11 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:04

Anyone else tired of hearing about tires so much in F1? I know it's part of racing but......this is too much.

You don't hear about how the sphere is sewn in futball. You don't hear about what material is made to sew a baseball. You just play the sport.

Too much emphasis on this crap causes pirelli to feel like the show is in their hands and then they go and do something dangerous/disasters to the sport. Meh.

Just tired of hearing about them all the time, lol

#12 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:04

After first designing cars that can race without tyres?

Get down to Kwik Fit.

#13 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:05

Nah, just ban Hembery from the Young Drivers Test..

#14 Outsider

Outsider

• 936 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:06

So, this is suggesting that they changed the tyre construction without the permission of the teams? Interesting if true. Doubtful though.

i don't find anything doubtful in that.

#15 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:06

I have an open mind but the source is not exactly reliable/objective.

If (and it is a big if) any changes were made beyond the bonding process/materals, I suspect the FIA would have known - which in some ways would be an even bigger 'scandal'.

#16 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:08

That said, I actually never saw old steel band on the TV when tyres exploded like a bubbles yesterday...

#17 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:11

Unless the steel has just broken to bits.

The main news story on the Autopsort front page features a graphic photo of Vergne's tyre exploding, showering the following Lotus of Kimi Raikkonen in a load of fine, rather metallic-looking shards.

#18 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:12

I couldn't see this in Jose's tweets. Did he delete it?

#19 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:14

Anyone else tired of hearing about tires so much in F1? I know it's part of racing but......this is too much.

You don't hear about how the sphere is sewn in futball. You don't hear about what material is made to sew a baseball. You just play the sport.

Too much emphasis on this crap causes pirelli to feel like the show is in their hands and then they go and do something dangerous/disasters to the sport. Meh.

The tires took on too big of a role in F1 currently.

Not to say that tires did not ever matter in F1 because they've always been an important part of the equation. Pirelli and F1 just approached this in altogether the wrong manner, and the tires became the centerpiece of the show. It's killed my interest in the races this year because hearing about the tires from start to finish, and pre and post-race is not fun at all.

Advertisement

#20 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:15

Im just waiting from Pirelli to say: sayonara, we have enough of this ****. This is just getting more and more bizzare.

#21 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:20

http://www1.skysport...s-tyre-failures

Anthony raises questions that need answering.

#22 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,738 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:23

They'll get another reprimand.

3 reprimands and everyone starts on 3 tires.

#23 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:31

Nice - for us outside UK (or maybe it's just me that cannot view it) what is the questions?

#24 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 579 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:32

Then again, imagine 50 000 people cheering in Camp nou, Messi shoots, the crowd explodes in a... no wait.. the ball explodes into small pieces, no goal..

Now imagine this happens 4 times in the same game..

Would there be a discussion about it you think? :)

#25 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,133 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:35

He makes an interesting point about the steel band, how soft would it be, what I mean is if the steel band was indeed in the tyres yesterday, then where did it go after it blew?

#26 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:36

You don't hear about how the sphere is sewn in futball. You don't hear about what material is made to sew a baseball. You just play the sport.[...]

Actually, i can't remember the last World Cup ball that didn't receive massive criticism.

http://www.wired.com...currentPage=all
http://www.guardian....cup2006.sport15
http://en.wikipedia....ulani#Criticism

Erratic, unpredictable, favouring certain playing styles - reading those articles, it all sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

Edited by dau, 01 July 2013 - 14:37.

#27 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,133 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:37

Nice - for us outside UK (or maybe it's just me that cannot view it) what is the questions?

Basically compares de-laminations from Bahrain and Barcelona to yesterday, and there is a very big difference, basically asking where was the steel band after yesterdays delams.

#28 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:42

Unless the steel has just broken to bits.

The main news story on the Autopsort front page features a graphic photo of Vergne's tyre exploding, showering the following Lotus of Kimi Raikkonen in a load of fine, rather metallic-looking shards.

Steel bands don't disintegrate, not at these sort of energies anyway.

#29 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:42

So this would mean that instead of making the tyres safer by reinforcing the construction they are making them fail and higher energy points and speeds. Would this mean that the compound is the real issue rather than the construction, being so soft that it can't handle shear forces inside the compound.

If true, this would mean pressuring Pirelli to make changes without full validation of design the most incompetent and dangerous thing the FIA and teams could have done.

#30 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:53

If true, this would mean the biggest scandal in f1 after stepneygate.

#31 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:57

Part of me hopes this is true, if nothing else to explain Ferrari and Lotus' sudden drop in performance and Redbull, Mercs uptick.

But if it's true, then it's going to lead to one hell of a storm in the sport.

#32 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,613 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 14:58

Apperently there is a romour going on

Twitter, joseluisf1

For those who dont know what that means, Red bull and Mercedes have pushed Pirelli to use kevlar on their tyres but got blocked by other Teams.

What do u think?

Holy crap. Looks like kevlar to me. Not steel.

Huge scandal if true. Remember the shot of the tire that came off Seb's car? I didn't think anything of it at the time, but that looked like kevlar in the cut.

#33 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:01

So this would mean that instead of making the tyres safer by reinforcing the construction they are making them fail and higher energy points and speeds. Would this mean that the compound is the real issue rather than the construction, being so soft that it can't handle shear forces inside the compound.

If true, this would mean pressuring Pirelli to make changes without full validation of design the most incompetent and dangerous thing the FIA and teams could have done.

Not really. The high sidewall on an F1 tyre is always going to make it susceptible to cuts and tears. They have to be flexible given the lack of suspension travel.

The difference between a 'hard' and 'soft' compound is actually very small in terms of the forces needed to deform/puncture them.

#34 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:02

If Pirelli did swap to Kevlar from steel without informing the teams, they are huge spineless cheats. They always have had freedom to change tyres in the name of safety. But they did not want to accept any safety issue, still changed it without informing the teams. I hope they void the British GP and even Canada GP wherever these tyres were used.

#35 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,342 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:03

Part of me hopes this is true, if nothing else to explain Ferrari and Lotus' sudden drop in performance and Redbull, Mercs uptick.

But if it's true, then it's going to lead to one hell of a storm in the sport.

Agreed. F1 got away lightly yesterday, but things are on the brink. A full blown shitstorm might actually achieve something positive in the longer run.

#36 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:07

Agreed. F1 got away lightly yesterday, but things are on the brink. A full blown shitstorm might actually achieve something positive in the longer run.

+1 on that.

#37 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:09

Actually, i can't remember the last World Cup ball that didn't receive massive criticism.

http://www.wired.com...currentPage=all
http://www.guardian....cup2006.sport15
http://en.wikipedia....ulani#Criticism

Erratic, unpredictable, favouring certain playing styles - reading those articles, it all sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

What I'm saying is you don't hear EVERY football match dominated about the ball, and post match comments about the ball, and teams doing simulators for each match with the ball... etc

#38 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,613 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:19

Posted Image

#39 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:19

What I'm saying is you don't hear EVERY football match dominated about the ball, and post match comments about the ball, and teams doing simulators for each match with the ball... etc

But there again FIFA and the clubs haven't yet come up with a scheme designed to force the ball makers to arrange the stitching on the ball to fail after about 20 mins of use.

Advertisement

#40 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:23

People are forgetting Pirelli can do what they fecking well want with the tyres.
Although it is ironic.

#41 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:29

Posted Image

So Pirelli already implemented the construction change from steel to kevlar belts and the result is worst then what is next?

The tires at the beginning if the season were not failing like this so I would say to revert back to those. However I am sure that some teams agenda willl be to push for the 2012 tire.

Edited by fabr68, 01 July 2013 - 15:32.

#42 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:30

People are forgetting Pirelli can do what they fecking well want with the tyres.
Although it is ironic.

No they can't hence the whole issue with not "officially" introducing the kevlar belted tyres yet

#43 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,613 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:32

Posted Image

#44 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:36

I know how people were hyperventilating here after we saw tyres delaminating ("someone will get killed" and bullshit), whereas Pirelli always maintained delaminations aren't very dangerous because the tyre remains inflated at all times. Very ironic if these spectacular failures came during the first race with revised tyre structure.

#45 katmen

katmen

• 823 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:39

current tires are too extreme regarding materials...

#46 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:41

If yesterday's failures were the result of change to kevlar-belt, I really hope they revert back to steel belt at least for the next race. I really can't prepare for another race on ticking bombs like this.

#47 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:43

Yeah, but they weren't meant to be reverting to a kevlar belt.

Indeed, if they have reverted to kevlar then they have done so despite not having secured unanimous agreement from the teams to do so; not only that, but the revised structure has proven to be structurally unsound. Not good.

#48 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:44

Excuse me for not knowing any better, but isn't kevlar black? The most spectacular tyre-failure yesterday was Vergne's, and it was silver grey, shiny debris flying all over! Wouldn't that be the steel-belt just disintegrating?

#49 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:46

I am going to say this even though my favourite driver is currently leading the championship.

This is the worst season in F1 I have ever witness. I don't care about boring races and processions. Sport is that from time to time, and I think people should of dealt with it better, instead of demanding entertainment.

With all that has gone on this season positively stinks.

Edited by Massa_f1, 01 July 2013 - 15:47.

#50 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 951 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 15:50

Excuse me for not knowing any better, but isn't kevlar black? The most spectacular tyre-failure yesterday was Vergne's, and it was silver grey, shiny debris flying all over! Wouldn't that be the steel-belt just disintegrating?

Kevlar is naturally yellow, but that isn't to say it isn't a different colour when used in tyres, I'm not sure.

A lot of the debris from Verge would have been bodywork, as it did considerable damage to the car itself. It certainly wasn't all tyre, unlike Hamilton's who's car escaped largely unscathed.