Photo

Bornigia at Monzanapolis 1957

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:28

On YouTube I watched a film on the Monzanapolis 1957 race and the preparations prior to the event. Now we all know the story: cancellation by the European entries, the American winners and the Jaguar brave entry and performance.

Still during practice an Italian Mario Borniggia showed up and made some laps *). However speed was quite low compared to the Americans and he was silently requested to DNS (at least so I read).

Now in literature I find little on this Italian, he participated in the Targa, Mille Miglia and other main Italian race during the fifties up until the '58 MM.

-1- I found out it is not Bornigia as used so often on the net (including TNF, ahum), but Borniggia!

-2- Little to no mention of his attempt in any Ferrari book/mag I have seen so far (In contrast to the 1958 event). Likely due to the DNS. Even though he was entered, with Jean Lucas as possible reserve driver.

-3- I found his car to be a 275S with 340 engine mounted (V12 4.100 litre). To be exact the America Barchetta 0030MT, a 7 year old car in 1957 (!), a tired car with 4 Mille Miglias unders its belt as well as many a Giro, Hillclimb and one Monaco GP!

-4- He entered for the Scuderia Cotrone (not Cottione, another I-net error), likely as he came from this outer southern Italian village?

-5- He raced with other Borniggia's as co-driver and before the war other Borniggia's also raced. Was it all the same family and how are they related?

-6- The Scuderia Cotrone was also active with F3 from 1966-1970, same Scuderia?

-7- He played a part possibly in the demise of Musso **). He seemed to have made a 'joke' before the '58 French GP that Musso took quite serious. How correct was he?

Maybe some of you can enlighten/follow-up on 4-7?

*) As did Behra with two Maserati's. Thanks to Willem Oosthoek's and Michel Bollee's great book on the 450S.

**) DCN posted on the "Luigi Musso" thread: 'My friend Gianni Cancellieri recorded this reminiscence from 1958-61 team manager Romolo Tavoni: “Unfortunately. Luigi Musso lost his life at Reims, in that French G.P. he wanted to win at all costs, first because he was convinced that he could become world champion and, second, because that was the richest race of all: victory was worth 10 million, five times the normal finishing purse. And he had launched a commercial activity in Rome (importer of American cars, Plymouths) together with Mario Bornigia, heavily exposing himself financially. Just before the race he received a telegram from his partner, humorous but unsettling: ‘win, because the IOU comes due tomorrow’. At lap 10 he was second, a few yards behind his teammate Hawthorn. He entered the fast corner following the straight and couldn't hold the line. He lost control of the car, spun off the track at 250 km/h and goodbye.” '
In the same thread Alessandro Silva states: "...was not a paragon of correctness in business affairs..."

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 02 July 2013 - 12:31.

Advertisement

#2 PRUNET

PRUNET

• 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 15:44

The car is 0030/MT, a 1950 ex-works Touring barchetta, a 3.3-literV-12 which became 4.1. A long history. Third rebody, in 1954, ended with a spider by Scaglietti and it is in this form that it was practiced in the 1957 Monza 500 Miles. Sorry, posting photos in this forum (as in other UK ones) is just too complicated.

#3 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:37

Merci bien Mr. Prunet. Much appreciated!

#4 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:28

The surname is definitely Bornigia.

Mario and his younger brother Franco Bornigia raced together many times in the early 1950s, taking part in great Italian road races, such as the Targa Florio, the Mille Miglia, the Coppa delle Dolomiti and above all the tough Giro di Sicilia, which they won in 1950, sharing an Alfa Romeo 6-C 2500 Competizione. The race was titled as the 34th Targa Florio.
It was soaking wet on race day and the Bornigia brothers in the private Alfa Romeo managed to win, beating all the factory cars - Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Cisitalia, Abarth, etc. - driven by the greatest, including Ascari, Villoresi, Nuvolari, Cortese, Musso, Cabianca and others that did not finish the event.

The Bornigia brothers managed a prominent car dealership in Rome.
Mario Bornigia passed away in 1981. He is interred at the Cimitero Verano in Rome.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 09 July 2013 - 09:50.

#5 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:53

It was soaking wet on race day and the Bornigia brothers in the private Alfa Romeo managed to win, beating all the factory cars - Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Cisitalia, Abarth, etc. - driven by the greatest, including Ascari, Villoresi, Nuvolari, Cortese, Musso, Cabianca and others that did not finish the event.

I believe the L.Musso who finished 9th in the 1950 Giro di Sicilia/Targa Florio would have been Luciano Musso, an older brother of Luigi. Luigi may also have run in this event in a Fiat Ermini, but doesn't seem to have finished. Another brother Giuseppe also had some success in sports cars around this period.

Stu

#6 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:00

Thanks for your input! Well in the 450S book by Oosthoek/Bollee there is the Monzanapolis 500 entry list reproduced giving Borniggia with double 'g'. I am doubting.

#7 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:07

Bornigia, with only one "g", believe me. The 1957 official entry list must be incorrect.

The family is very well known in Rome (as Alessandro Silva said... with bad and good opinions about their correctness in business affairs...)

I believe the car dealership is still running, presumably by different owners.

One Giancarlo Bornigia (don't know how related, possibly he was a nephew of Mario but I'm not sure) founded a nightclub empire in Rome, since the early 1960s.

#8 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 13:29

Bornigia, with only one "g", believe me. The 1957 official entry list must be incorrect.

Indeed, I checked the telephone directory of Italy. 12 with one 'g', none with two. mainly Rome area. I wonder on the Cotrone link!?

#9 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 15:22

Can't really comment on where the gentlemen's family came from, but be advised that most Romans' origins are from Southern Italy, a staggering number from Calabria and Abruzzo, for example.

Thanks Rega. Scuderia Cotrone entered FJunior and F3 De Sanctis between 1962-66 for:

Bruno Bassini (FJ in 62)
Sergio Bettoja (64) later Lancia PR guy (?)
Jonathan Williams (66)
Romano Perdomi (66) or "Tiger" who perished at Caserta.

In 1971 F3 with:
Giancarlo Naddeo (Tecno)
Marcello Gallo (BT28)

#10 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:51

Owner of the Scuderia Cotrone was Francesco Cotrone.
I have no information, but I am convinced he was from Rome too.
Amongst the drivers Arjan has listed, Naddeo, Gallo and the late Sergio Bettoja are definitely Romans, and also Jonathan Williams in the mid-1960s had many connection with Rome, due to his activity with car manufacturer Gino De Sanctis (also of Rome).

#11 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 15:34

Thanks again Nanni. Cotrone also seems to have entered a Ligier JS1 for the 1970 Monza 1000 km with Guy and Andruet as drivers. However car did not arrive.