* * * * * 1 votes

What makes a good F1 book?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:38

It's often said the best political diaries are those kept by people close to power without having much themselves?

Does anyone think there are similar principles you can apply to F1 books?

Advertisement

#2 rmpugh

rmpugh

• 292 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 15:51

It's often said the best political diaries are those kept by people close to power without having much themselves?

Nick Clegg's must be a cracker then. :)

#3 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:06

Dunc :
Your answer is...
Good writing.
Jp

#4 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:25

The noise!

#5 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 17:38

Gimme a good F1 topic to write about and I'll have that book out in 6 months.

#6 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:19

Gimme a good F1 topic to write about and I'll have that book out in 6 months.

I once read on some message board this conspiracy theory that Senna was killed by a sniper who was behind the wall at Tamburello. :eek:

Can you write fiction?

#7 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:20

Have to make it somehting believable though.
In the lines of "truth is stranger than fiction", after the Silverstone race and subsequent announcement that 2013 cars in tyre tests are going to be allowed, I was thinking that if somebody had put this year's tyre saga into a fiction story, then it would be declared too outrageously unbelievable.

So anyway, perhaps a fictional toned down version of an F1 year, as told from the point of view of a tyre supplier.

#8 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:47

I would say a combination of being very informed about the subject, having ready access to the relevant primary sources without having to make compromises to get at those sources, and a deep enthusiasm for the subject without being too emotionally invested in it. Having empathy and a sense of humour help too. For the driver biographies, an understanding you are ultimately telling a story is key too.

For examples of what happens when some or all of these factors are missing, see almost any book about Ayrton Senna. Good F1 books are pretty rare. However, I think Gerald Donaldson's James Hunt biography is pretty great and meets most of the criteria.

And for great autobiographies: the courage to tell people who you really are, as truthfully as you can.

#9 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:00

In all seriousness I would be interested to know what the crowd here thinks makes an F1 (or racing) book great. It's not really the most popular subject in the world. I've thought a few times it might be fun to have a go at writing an encyclopedia of F1, which does exist already since I had one when I was a kid. Though it was full of information there was zero flavor to it at all: in biographies of drivers it always followed the "Italian karting champion in 1986, progressed to Formula Whatever in 1987, tested for Minardi in 1988" kind of formula. This book had an overview of each season but never went into details there either. I've often thought about trying to write an encyclopedia of F1 but writing it like the story it is. I'd like to write an encyclopedia about why it happened, not simply what happened.

The trouble, like any other book idea these days, is that any information in the book is more easily found for free on Wikipedia. You would have to be one hell of a story-teller and even then you're ultimately depending on people buying your book because they want a physical copy of something they could get elsewhere for cheaper, or free. Having said that, there are plenty of ways of giving someone an extra incentive to buy your book. If you like to draw like I do you could include artwork in your book, etc.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,990 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:33

If it's written by me.

Just need a publisher to agree...

#11 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:35

In all seriousness I would be interested to know what the crowd here thinks makes an F1 (or racing) book great.
The trouble, like any other book idea these days, is that any information in the book is more easily found for free on Wikipedia.

The answer then is probably more books like Steve Matchett's "The Mechanics Tale", that had interesting stories, and isnt just a collection of wikipedia factoids.
The problem, is that it can really only be written by somebody *in* the sport who has previously unknown anecdotes and stories.

#12 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:48

I once read on some message board this conspiracy theory that Senna was killed by a sniper who was behind the wall at Tamburello. :eek:

Can you write fiction?

That would be most certainly be the finest piece of marksmanship in human history. :rotfl:

#13 taran

taran

• 4,464 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 20:32

You need someone with inside information yet is an outsider. Or an insider with a grudge.

If Frank Williams and others of his ilk (ghost)wrote a book it would be boring. "I was poor, then became successful and then rich. Oh, and I never cheated despite all the evidence."
Rather boring.

If Briatore (ghost)wrote a book as an outsider who is not blinded by the racing bug, it would be much better book showing both the good and bad parts of F1.

After all, anyone can write a puff piece (and many so-called F1 journalists do). The quality is usually pretty bad, stringing together a season with the focus on a particular driver. You'd get much of the same information from a season of Autosport magazines. A book should be more. The old Heinz Pruller books were pretty good IMO but that level is hardly reached these days.

#14 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:32

That would be most certainly be the finest piece of marksmanship in human history. :rotfl:

Don`t laugh, I saw an old documentary about a marksman shooting out a tyre on a race car. Was being investigated by a chap called Simon Templar I think...

#15 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:33

I'm looking forward to Mark Webber's book once he's out of F1. Should be some good reading.

As for the post, a combination of an interesting story that is written well. It helped when I read Perry McCarthy's biography.

#16 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:49

Brilliant photography

#17 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 00:19

When is Rubens going to write a tell all?

#18 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:06

Doug Nye

#19 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:48

Brilliant photography

If you were joking, I'm sorry, but I agree. :p

F1 is a very visual sport and having some great photos alongside whatever F1 story is being told does aid in the reading. That's why I liked Damon Hill's book on his 1998 season. Not only was his insight into that year fascinating, the photos providing a visual reference were great too.

But that's not to say there haven't been interesting F1 reads without photos plastered all over. The problem is there aren't a great deal many of them, many full of factual inaccuracies (I can't tell you how many times I've read the 1995 Benetton as being powered by Ford). I remember years ago trying to hire some out at the library and all there appeared to be was F1 books by Timothy Collins, and they are extremely average.

Advertisement

#20 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:55

Lots of interesting anecdotes and inside information.

#21 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:13

The truth!

#22 proviz

proviz

• 723 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:16

Isn't it interesting how the majority of books written about F1 end up being dumped at hugely reduced prices a year or two after they came out. On the other hand, many titles about sports car racing sell out and second hand copies fetch enormous prices.

#23 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:19

A good book is exactly one idea long.

#24 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 17:06

It should be as light as possible and just reliable enough for you to read all the way to the end before the pages fall out and the spine cracks open.

#25 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:00

It should be as light as possible and just reliable enough for you to read all the way to the end before the pages fall out and the spine cracks open.

And its also not allowed to exceed certain dimensions.
Has to weigh at least a required amount.

And the author has to decide how many chapters to put in. A one chapter book requires the reader to do one long stint.
The choice of two or three chapters lets the reader take on new coffee during pit stop breaks between chapters.

#26 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:03

I like where y'all are goin' here with it..
:rotfl:
Jp

#27 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:08

Two examples of what doesn't would be "Winning Is Not Enough" by Jackie Stewart and any of the drivel I've ever read by Tom Rubython...

Vic Elford's or Tony Brooks efforts however tip the scales back to a decent balance!

However, brilliant as it is, (lovely photos too) Vic Elford's Golden Age book has come close to breaking my nose when I've nodded off reading it... so paperback preferable with low weight pages!

Edited by DampMongoose, 03 July 2013 - 20:10.

#28 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 22:14

PORTRAITS OF THE 60S
Formula 1
Rainer Schlegelmilch

REAL RACERS
Formula 1 Racing in the 1950s and 1960s
The Klemantaski Collection

AUTOCOURSE History of the Grand Prix Car
Doug Nye

MERCEDES BENZ GRAND PRIX RACING 1934 - 1955
George C. Monkhouse

To name but a few in my collection.

#29 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,655 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 22:47

Two examples of what doesn't would be "Winning Is Not Enough" by Jackie Stewart and any of the drivel I've ever read by Tom Rubython...

A tip for any budding authors - simply not being Tom Rubython gives you a head start.

#30 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 00:50

If it is historical, it has shelf life. If it is trying to be relevant, a short, short window. I look at Faster! By JYS and Peter Manso. It was meant to be relevant, but because of the place Jackie was in, it is readable and interesting today (mainly due to the huge changes that JYS went through-loss of Jochen, building of Tyrrell 001, etc.). That's lightining in the bottle. If it is technical- it usually has a short shelf life.

#31 genespleen

genespleen

• 408 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:01

Anyone read Niki Lauda's *My Years with Ferrari*? A good example of a fairly candid, sometimes acerbic, view of the F1 game. Good read. It'd be worthwhile ahead of the film that's coming along in the fall.

#32 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:25

Lauda's books are a good read.

#33 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:28

A couple of days ago I got one of the few "Siglo Fangio" (Fangio Century) edited by Mercedes Benz and written by Pablo Vignone.

From what I can tell, the greatness of this (and most) good F1 books are the (inside) stories. What's happening "behind" what everyone sees, how the drivers themselves view/feel the sport or some specific issue.

In this particular book, the stories that Fangio tells are nothing short of spectacular. Most of them already told by himself on TV interviews or written on newspapers, but still impressive and in a way they allow you to understand how he thought and how he viewed the world and racing in general, his character, etc.

Posted Image

http://www.mundoauto...-manuel-fangio/

Edited by Otaku, 04 July 2013 - 03:30.

#34 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:53

A tip for any budding authors - simply not being Tom Rubython gives you a head start.

:rotfl: I like that! I can imagine a conversation with a publisher along those lines...

So you are looking at having your first efforts published young man?

Yes sir!

Excellent, now a couple of formalities, are you Tom Rubython?

Er no?

Good, are you related to him in any way?

No

Super, I think we can ignore the other questions don't you? Best of luck with it all...

Edited by DampMongoose, 04 July 2013 - 08:54.

#35 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:27

The truth!

:up:

I wish all those involved would come out with the truth on all "-gates".
Spygate, Crashgate, Ferrari fire Kimi gate, Tiregate...any conspiracy theory we've had to date.

#36 W154

W154

• 345 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 13:25

PORTRAITS OF THE 60S
Formula 1
Rainer Schlegelmilch

REAL RACERS
Formula 1 Racing in the 1950s and 1960s
The Klemantaski Collection

AUTOCOURSE History of the Grand Prix Car
Doug Nye

MERCEDES BENZ GRAND PRIX RACING 1934 - 1955
George C. Monkhouse

To name but a few in my collection.

Ah, yes, The Bible.

#37 cturvf1

cturvf1

• 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 18:41

Can you write fiction?

haha!! i read that too.....was pure comedy that!!

#38 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 13:59

Talking of Perry McCarthy, I have just started reading Flat Out, Flat Broke, and am stunned at him misspelling Ralph Firman's name, not once but at least twice so far. Considering that the bloke gave Perry a car to race, it is pretty disrespectful.  :mad:  Actually Perry is coming across as a spoilt arsehole quite a bit so far and I have only got to page sixty so far. 

#39 colonelbadger

colonelbadger

• 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 14:20

The Piranha Club

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/0753509652

Advertisement

#40 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 14:21

For published books I recommend:

"The Lost Generation" by David Tremayne

"The Grand Prix Saboteurs" by Joe Saward

"Fast Lines" by Pete Lyons

and for light relief:

"Crashed & Byrned" by Tommy Byrne

for something unpublished (so far), try Barry Boor's "The Connew Story": http://f1-2012season.../connew-f1.html