Photo

Mike Beuttler, James Hunt, Silverstone 1973

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 18:36

Does anybody know whose airbox James Hunt used post Scheckter shunt at Silverstone in 1973? I was always under the impression it was Mike Beuttler's, but going through some '73 March photo's, Mike is still using his in the race, and as he had no spare car (?) I wouldn't have thought a spare airbox would be in the truck either! Not a serious question, just curious!

Advertisement

#2 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:47

An interview with Harvey Postlethwaite at the end of 1973 in MN definitely said something like "we used 'Blocker's' (Beuttler's) spare"

Paul M

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:54

To refresh memories, there were four March 731 entries at Silverstone. Following the first lap contretemps James Hunt and Mike Beuttler took the restart while Roger Williamson was eliminated. David Purley was a non starter following a practice accident.
It could be either - but I'd put my money on David Purley purely on the basis that his car would have been more accessible.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:11

To refresh memories, there were four March 731 entries at Silverstone. Following the first lap contretemps James Hunt and Mike Beuttler took the restart while Roger Williamson was eliminated. David Purley was a non starter following a practice accident.
It could be either - but I'd put my money on David Purley purely on the basis that his car would have been more accessible.

But wasn't it yellow?!!

#5 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,657 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:36

But wasn't it yellow?!!

Yes! I'm sure it was Beuttler's spare. There's a clear view of the airbox eight seconds into this footage of the final laps:

#6 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 22:21

Yes! I'm sure it was Beuttler's spare. There's a clear view of the airbox eight seconds into this footage of the final laps:

That's nicely tied that one off then :clap:

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 22:31

Autosport confirms it as a yellow Space Racing (ie Beuttler) airbox.

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:02

Ok, it seems a strange thing to have a spare one of, when the budget is tight, and I notice it lacks the red pin striping, but it cannot be coincedence it's yellow either!!

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:47

But wasn't it yellow?!!

:blush: Perhaps it's time to reinstate my old signature:

Oh Lord, please help me keep my big mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about.

#10 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 20:39

Autosport confirms it as a yellow Space Racing (ie Beuttler) airbox.

Still completely confusing to me is the relationship between March and the Clarke-Mordaunt-Guthrie-Durlacher Racing operation Beuttler was entered for from 1971 to 1973. Was it a works car in disguise (like Purley´s Lec entered car) or was there a separate team organisation behind (like Hesketh)?

Now I stumble over this thread in which I read "Space Racing" for the first time, which I would connect to Sparshot and BS Fabrications. So doesn´t this indicate a spearate team more independent from the factory?

Furthermore, the wikipedia article about BS Fabrications reads like it was their idea to convert the Model 722 Formula 2 chassis into a Formula 1 car, thus creating the 721G model. This is also surprising to me as so far I always had read the story that the "G" designation was given by the March factory standing for "Guinness Book of Records", as they had only three weeks or so of time to create a car for Beuttler. So which story is the correct one?

Edited by uechtel, 12 October 2014 - 20:40.

#11 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 20:44

Slightly off-topic, but how is "Beuttler" pronounced? Is it like "Butler"?

#12 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 20:51

I always heard it pronounced as BOYT LURR

#13 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:50

Mike Lawrence in his March book says it was Robin Herd who came up with the idea of putting a DFV into the 722 chassis after the Beuttler team had ordered an F1 car. However, most of the work assembling the first 721G was carried out by Bob Sparshott's team, who then ran the car as a completely private entry for Beuttler. When March saw that the concept was a great improvement on the evil-handling 721X they built their own 721Gs.

Edited by Tim Murray, 13 October 2014 - 04:53.

#14 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:24

Thank you very much for the clarification!

I was always wondering about the status of Beuttler´s team because of the STP logos on his car. Also he had one or two drives in a works entered car, so obviously they had good customer relationship to March.

#15 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:08

Video brought back memories.....I drove to that GP just days after passing my driving test.

Sad that none of the 4 drivers focussed on....Revson, Peterson, Hulme & Hunt....are no longer with us, neither are the 2 commentators, Raymond Baxter & Graham Hill  ):

#16 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,858 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:15

As a Dutch with a good knowledge of German I would say: 'Boy (very soft t) Luhr.' But he was a Brit, wasn't he? So perhaps it just 'Boydler'.

#17 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,858 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:16

Video brought back memories.....I drove to that GP just days after passing my driving test.

Sad that none of the 4 drivers focussed on....Revson, Peterson, Hulme & Hunt....are no longer with us, neither are the 2 commentators, Raymond Baxter & Graham Hill  ):

I thought the voice of Graham Hill (the second voice, not he be heard for the last two laps, right) sounded uncanny like Martin Brundle. Quite surreal, in my ears.

#18 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:27

Doesn't prove a thing, but I dimly remember the loudspeaker voice at Oulton pronounced it as "BURT-LER".

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:30

I agree with MFD - the TV commentators of the time always called him Boytler, going back at least to his F3 days. I'm certain that the conscientious Murray Walker, for one, would have checked this with Mike and made sure he had the pronunciation correct.

Edited by Tim Murray, 13 October 2014 - 09:33.

Advertisement

#20 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:35

Notorious Kayemod - commentators for their pronunciations.

My evidence is based on a long time mate, or put correctly a financial associate in period of the stockbroker pair David Mordaunt & Ralph Clarke. My friend asking me a few years ago, what happened to Mike BOYTLER?

#21 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:46

Notorious Kayemod - commentators for their pronunciations.

How true! I used to go to hillclimbs a lot, and one leading exponent was Chris Cramer. Commentators started to pronounce this the English way as "Cray-mer", but I think Chris had some German origins, he always pronounced it as die Deutschen would do, as "Crah-mer", I think almost everyone got that right in the end. I speak as someone possessing a surname that's mispronounced more often than not, though I can't say that it bothers me all that much though, but then again, I'm not racing in F1.

#22 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:49

The "BBC Pronouncing Dictionary of British names" (OUP, 1983) suggests "boytler".

I think I can only recall Chris Cramer pronounced (by commentators) "Crah - mer", but I didn't begin going to hill climbs until 1982, by which time he was quite well known...

Edited by 2F-001, 13 October 2014 - 09:52.

#23 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:59

When I edited my post to make the comment about Chris C, the annoying spelling "correction" which operates here (is it the site, or my browser doing this?) changed the spelling of "boytler" back to "bottler" which it had tried to substitute the first time around…
How do I override or turn off that interference?
I'll take the rap for my own mistakes but not the ones introduced by the software! ;-)

#24 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:45

From this earlier thread on Beuttler:

http://forums.autosp...-mike-beuttler/

we have what I reckon must be the definitive answer, obtained by Mike's biographer Philippe Vogel from Mike's sister:

Hi Hieronimus !

I can say that the right pronounciation is Boytler (according to his siter taht I have met).

Phinorman
[/quote]

#25 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:47

There is a long thread on Beutler, I believe including pronouncing his name (Boyd-lair) here:

http://forums.autosp...er/?hl= beutler

Philippe Vogel ('phinorman' at TNF) wrote a great book on him.Maybe he can answer the initial question.

#26 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:28

Thanks for clearing the pronunciation thing up. As the reluctant owner of a horrific forrin surname, I find these things interesting. Plus, I have my suspicions that Mr. Beuttler had similar "ethnic origins" to me. (Huguenot).

#27 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:52

I read somewhere that MB was related, by marriage, to Alan Clark (the politician and diarist - and thus to Kenneth 'Civilisation' Clark). I remembered wondering if there was a connection there with Ralph Clarke, but I'm reminded (from the thread linked above) that they are spelled differently…

Apols - that's way off topic, but (I thought) passably interesting.

Edited by 2F-001, 13 October 2014 - 11:52.

#28 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:02

His airbox was yellow, just to get back on thread!!!

#29 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:13

But did Beuttler ever test a Marlboro BRM...?

Somebody must know.

#30 Macca

Macca

• 3,726 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 13:00

Alan Clark's wife Jane's maiden name was Beuttler.

edit: she was Mike's sister.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 13 October 2014 - 13:02.

#31 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:12

Well, in the other thread between all the off topic stuff I found mention, that the Hesketh team did operate from Sparshot´s garage in 1973. So no real wonder that some parts may have found way into the other team.

(You can always learn something new on TNF every day...)

So this immediately opens up another question whether Beuttler´s team and Hesketh Racing were inded two different organisations or rather kind of a joint venture?

Edited by uechtel, 13 October 2014 - 15:13.

#32 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 15:32

I read somewhere that MB was related, by marriage, to Alan Clark (the politician and diarist - and thus to Kenneth 'Civilisation' Clark). I remembered wondering if there was a connection there with Ralph Clarke, but I'm reminded (from the thread linked above) that they are spelled differently…

Apols - that's way off topic, but (I thought) passably interesting.

The connection was that Alan Clark's wife Jane was Beuttler's sister who Clark married in 1958 when she was according to press sources just 16 years old.

#33 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:42

But did Beuttler ever test a Marlboro BRM...?

Somebody must know.

May be Sir Doug will enlighten us when Vol 4 manifests it's self from myth   ;) 

Well, in the other thread between all the off topic stuff I found mention, that the Hesketh team did operate from Sparshot´s garage in 1973. So no real wonder that some parts may have found way into the other team.

So this immediately opens up another question whether Beuttler´s team and Hesketh Racing were inded two different organisations or rather kind of a joint venture?

Yes and Mike's team also borrowed and painted at least one Hesketh airbox yellow with red pinstripes :wave: